CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

3 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:

I’m so happy it has hopefully worked out for you. We FaceTimed the kids last night and while they are I think more disappointed than even I am, we all agreed canceling is the right thing for us at this time. I will wait until closer to that magical 56-day mark to do so just in case anything changes (i would like to see them extend the rebook period to match RC). My husbands big presidents club meeting for a client was canceled yesterday. It was in Cabo so I was going to tag along. My air was $838 and AA is not waiving change fees so that’s on my plate too. Hoping that policy changes so that I don’t lose $200 there. Between all this and our stock portfolio I feel like my money is flying out a window and i can’t catch it. emoji31.png It’s all very stressful. Good luck to you and your fam! I know how much you’re looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boy howdy, I feel your pain. I tend to be a little on the high strung side and this whole situation almost put me completely over the edge! 😜  I spent the morning rebooking our flights for the cruise, fortunately I booked it with Southwest. I used points for most of it so it was fairly easy to do and no penalties, gotta love Southwest! 

I hear you on the stock market too,  just don’t look until it recovers and it will be like it never happened, lol!  Good luck to you and your family, it will all work out in the end, just gotta hang in there! 

My bold, unscientific, guesstimate on CoVid-19:

Peaks worldwide 3rd week of March. All over but the hand washing end of April.

Don't  flame.  We still need the vaccine for the future. And better means of cooperation worldwide. Just no one else getting this version of the virus.

Next winter? Could be back, could mutate again, could be something else.

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

My bold, unscientific, guesstimate on CoVid-19:

Peaks worldwide 3rd week of March. All over but the hand washing end of April.

Don't  flame.  We still need the vaccine for the future. And better means of cooperation worldwide. Just no one else getting this version of the virus.

Next winter? Could be back, could mutate again, could be something else.

Here is a more scientific analysis that is more realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travelgirl29 said:

Has anyone gotten this letter? Did it come via email or snail mail? 

The inboard credit notification? If so, we have not been notified. Checked email , nothing. Nothing in regular mail yesterday, won't be home again until Monday.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Heard on the Panorama they have halted debarkation as someone getting off failed cdc.   Saint Greg is commenting live on his thread.  

How many, if any, got off before debarkation was halted ? If some did get off will they "round up" those that got away, so to speak ?

I'm going to be embarking the IMAGINATION at this same port tomorrow ! 😅

2 minutes ago, glrounds said:

How many, if any, got off before debarkation was halted ? If some did get off will they "round up" those that got away, so to speak ?

I'm going to be embarking the IMAGINATION at this same port tomorrow ! 😅

There is little in the way of details, understandably so.  Based upon what I have read, at least some got off.  It happened on a debark interview.  Doubt they  were the first off, but so nor know.  Not sure what they did with those behind them in line either.  What a cluster.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

So are these the ships that are currently halted?

Grand Princess

Royal Princess

Carnival Panorama 

Carnival Glory?

Beats me. There is a Nile cruise with 150 onboard, 1/3 are positive. Small cruise, very small. Doesnt sound like one above.

Just got the Carnival letter this morning.  I had made the decision to cancel our 3/22 cruise 2 days ago and did so, as both dd and I have medical conditions- I can't afford us being quarantined on a ship for 14 days, or off-loaded anyplace except home.  I also did not want to "bring it home" to dh who is a cpa and is emerged in tax season.  He is already worried, as he sees many clients each day and has deadlines to meet in the next few weeks.  The virus cases have doubled here in Nassau county just in the last day alone.  I may not be "safe" at home either, but at least I would be in the comfort of my own home in the worst case scenario.  Re-scheduled our cruise for January.  If things settle down, maybe we will squeeze in a cruise before the end of the year. To those still sailing - enjoy your cruise and stay healthy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Just got the Carnival letter this morning.  I had made the decision to cancel our 3/22 cruise 2 days ago and did so, as both dd and I have medical conditions- I can't afford us being quarantined on a ship for 14 days, or off-loaded anyplace except home.  I also did not want to "bring it home" to dh who is a cpa and is emerged in tax season.  He is already worried, as he sees many clients each day and has deadlines to meet in the next few weeks.  The virus cases have doubled here in Nassau county just in the last day alone.  I may not be "safe" at home either, but at least I would be in the comfort of my own home in the worst case scenario.  Re-scheduled our cruise for January.  If things settle down, maybe we will squeeze in a cruise before the end of the year. To those still sailing - enjoy your cruise and stay healthy!

This is exactly why I’m glad Carnival made the offer. It lets people make good decisions for their situations without fear of economic loss.

Hopefully, people will take advantage of the offer so we don’t hear more situations like the women on the Grand who is worried she will miss her next chemo treatment.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

An interesting read:  Link

Numbers, math doesn't have opinions, or wishes, its just plain fact.

Great read,,,,,thanks for the link,,,

here's some more numbers,,

those talking this affects only the elderly, and sickly, that's nonsense,

70 staffers at a nursing facility in Washington state are showing symptoms, and are being asked to stay home!

I'm sure most of them were healthy and under 60!

So Carnival offering $200 onboard credit to passengers is that supposed to change peoples mind if they want to cancel? Do they really think people would go on a ship with 5000 people and take a chance that someone has the virus and the ship would have to be quarantined. I was going to cruise on Carnival in May of this year but I canceled, no way I'm going to Italy even with $200 on board credit.This would have been my first cruise on Carnival now I know why I never sailed on Carnival.

5 minutes ago, dega2 said:

So Carnival offering $200 onboard credit to passengers is that supposed to change peoples mind if they want to cancel? Do they really think people would go on a ship with 5000 people and take a chance that someone has the virus and the ship would have to be quarantined. I was going to cruise on Carnival in May of this year but I canceled, no way I'm going to Italy even with $200 on board credit.This would have been my first cruise on Carnival now I know why I never sailed on Carnival.

I wouldn't doubt that - in the near future- many other cruise ships will have coronavirus on them, as the 2 week incubation period means that people will board without showing symptoms-  until they do!  Many people are still going on their booked cruises.  I am not one of them, and you obviously are not also, which is a decision we both made.  If I had decided to go on my 3/22 cruise I would have been very happy to have a $200 obc on my account.

7 minutes ago, dega2 said:

I’m going on my cruises, so love the extra credit. But I think the main thing is letting people cancel without a financial penalty. In other words, I think the bigger effect will be people will cancel without fear of losing money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dega2 said:

I don’t believe it is supposed to change people minds but is a bonus for those who don’t. 

it appears there are lots of people who are willing to get on a ship. My cruise is not quite sold out but is mostly and has stayed that way for days now. At this point I am still willing to go but I am monitoring the situation. 

I don’t know why this is a knock against Carnival. I thought they are doing pretty decent by allowing people to cancel and get future cruise credit in situations where cancelling otherwise would have meant losing 75-100% of the cost of the cruise. 
and the $200 is a nice bonus to those who still want to go. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AmBear said:

Numbers, math doesn't have opinions, or wishes, its just plain fact.

Great read,,,,,thanks for the link,,,

here's some more numbers,,

those talking this affects only the elderly, and sickly, that's nonsense,

70 staffers at a nursing facility in Washington state are showing symptoms, and are being asked to stay home!

I'm sure most of them were healthy and under 60!

I read Ms. Specht’s Twitter page. I would say at the least she has some unconscious political bias. I remember when that guy in Texas had ebola (around 2014 - lied to get on the plane) and there was much less panic. That disease was extremely scary.  We have a lot of communicable diseases and there are so many factors. I think COVID-19 has been in the U.S. and under-diagnosed for a while. Most people with flu-like symptoms don’t go to the hospital or even the doctor’s. Now, anyone with flu-like symptoms (or even just a cold) are going to the hospital and being tested because they are scared (understandably so given the news). I would like to know how the average all-cause mortality has been affected for the same periods of time from other years. Have deaths from “chest infection” increased? If so, then I would be more concerned. Wish they would talk about that. BTW, do you have link to that 70 staffers comment? I couldn’t find that with a search. Did they talk about the severity?

I”m glad the cruise lines are offering folks an option because who wants to go on vacation and be stressed. Now they have a choice that doesn’t cause them to lose thousands of dollars. Either way, we will know very soon if Ms. Specht is right! Not gonna cancel my cruise next month until the last possible moment (31 March!). I was supposed to go to Hawaii this week but that trip got cancelled due to Corona (not by me). So instead we are planning a last minute trip to Disney! Don’t worry, it’s just adults, not putting any minors at risk!!

• Like 2