Shorts in Dining Room on Regal?

Typingmom14

20 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Please read the following at the bottom. "Your feedback is not appreciated"

Hey he left out the check box for "Only one episode of Love Boat available on the video system"

On one cruise I was on there was a woman whining over and over about the lack of Love Boat episodes.

She drove the customers out of the bar with her whining.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Very simple observation.

If you look at the photo of the black shorts you will see  that they are bunching up at the crotch and waist, the right leg hole is narrower than the left, etc.

The legs holes you referenced were clearly photoshopped. With today's ability to edit photos, commenting on fit and tailoring is pointless. 

1 hour ago, pilot said:

I'll ask my question again. With all of the dining options on board, why do people want to wear shorts in the MDR when the Patter states “No Shorts “?

Better yet, why does Princess insist on No Shorts?

Isn't it time for Princess to join the 20th Century and discard those outdated restrictions?

People who ignore these restrictions are making a statement that it's time for Princess to change.

Obviously, Princess agrees.  Otherwise, Princess would enforce that rule.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Very simple observation.

If you look at the photo of the black shorts you will see  that they are bunching up at the crotch and waist, the right leg hole is narrower than the left, etc.

He does not seem to mind. 

I wore shorts the last night of my cruise on the CB in December. My trivia team members asked me to join them for dinner. I felt like a renegade. But there were several other men wearing shorts as well. They relax the dress code the first and last nights. I did not see any men in shorts on the other nights, but there are three dining rooms. I'd rather a man in shorts be there than one in a baseball cap. Once a man in shorts sits down, you don't notice the shorts from across the room.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, Typingmom14 said:

Perfect!  Just wanted to know ahead of time.  Khakis are packed, so he will be all set!

Post #5 is from original poster ... bringing khakis.

You would think ... problem solved, nothing to see here.

But,  another 50 replies, covering each pet peeve on dress code, how people dress, etc.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Post #5 is from original poster ... bringing khakis.

You would think ... problem solved, nothing to see here.

But,  another 50 replies, covering each pet peeve on dress code, how people dress, etc.

Agreed - but you, like me, clicked and not only read these posts, but also added another one of your own! 

I have to admit after days of religiously following the Covid19 threads this thread comes as a welcome relief.

We are cruising in 3 weeks. I am appreciating the distraction from thinking about what is happening in Asia at the moment.

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Agreed - but you, like me, clicked and not only read these posts, but also added another one of your own! 

You're right, I should have started a new thread.

Of course, I would claim to have searched, before starting...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

For goodness sake, how hard is it to wear a pair of trousers like normal people in a normal restaurant?

Although I have never worn shorts to dinner in the MDR on a cruise, I consider myself to be a “normal” person and I have worn shorts to a “normal” restaurant on land.

• Like 2

I'm getting such a kick out of this thread. :classic_wink: April will be my first cruise on Princess, trying to see what the cruises are like on this forum.  I see nothing is new.  We usually use RCCL, Norweigin and Holland America.   

I will approve my husband wearing his silk shorts in the dinning room. 

Happy travels and don't worry!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

For goodness sake, how hard is it to wear a pair of trousers like normal people in a normal restaurant?

This probably depends somewhat on where you live....we live in Hawaii and wearing shorts to a nice restaurant is not considered abnormal but probably more the norm.....I guess it could be true for Floridians too.....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, California Traveler said:

I'm getting such a kick out of this thread. :classic_wink: April will be my first cruise on Princess, trying to see what the cruises are like on this forum.  I see nothing is new.  We usually use RCCL, Norweigin and Holland America.   

As you well know there are shorts and there are shorts

I'm sure your husbands choice will be acceptable for the dining room after some of the ones I've seen being worn. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, California Traveler said:

Just don’t throw a fit if he is turned around at the door and told to change or go to the buffet 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just don’t throw a fit if he is turned around at the door and told to change or go to the buffet 

Don't be so sure.  The only time I saw a man in shorts turned away on our November cruise was when he entered on formal night.  He wore shorts every night and sat at a large table adjacent to our 4 top.  There were other men at the same table in shorts on regular nights.  I also saw shorts being worn on an earlier cruise on the CB.  

Last year on a cruise I overheard a head waiter telling a complaining pax that corporate would not let them strictly enforce the dress rules in the MDR.  When competing cruise lines allow it, Princess cannot afford to enforce the rules. 

6 hours ago, memoak said:

After what I saw on the Regal during Jan/Feb they don't turn away anyone in shorts no matter how ratty or ill fitting. 

I would just love to see an example of the shorts that would be turned away. 

2 hours ago, Geobugs said:

I just bought some three pairs of Dockers shorts from Amazon to test this theory.  Sky Princess sails in three weeks.

From what I have been seeing on Princess ships in the past year, I doubt you will have a problem on regular nights.  Formal nights I have been wearing jeans and a guayabera shirt without even a second glance.  Maybe someday soon they will adjust their dress code to meet the actual practice. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

After what I saw on the Regal during Jan/Feb they don't turn away anyone in shorts no matter how ratty or ill fitting. 

I would just love to see an example of the shorts that would be turned away. 

My husband was turned away from MDR on a Smart Casual evening when wearing  brand new Polo Ralph Lauren tailored knee length shorts and a RL polo shirt!

As as we had been waiting to get to the to be seated, we saw a man exit the restaurant, after dining, wearing tatty, paint splattered jogging pants that had seen better days, with a nylon football shirt....they were long trousers though, so acceptable !

Folks will wear what they want. When it's 110°F- 112°F here at home in the summer I wear shorts. Onboard the ship it's not hot like that. When it gets to be 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM (depends on what is happening) I put on Dockers, a collared shirt (usually a silk Tommy Bahama and usually in a solid color but sometimes a floral pattern), and nicer shoes. Shorts, sandals, and tee shirts are put away. I don't have a problem with that. It's not like I'm in sweltering heat. If I was sailing in a hot weather area such as the South Pacific or Caribbean and was going to spend the evening up on Lido to watch MUTS or something I would wear shorts but would eat in the buffet. (Either that or change to eat in MDR and then change back to shorts.) It really isn't all that much to ask. It's not difficult at all. At home I'm a jeans and tee shirt guy most of the time. When we go out for a play by our local theater group I tend to dress "smart casual" the same as I do in the evening on the ship. Again, it really isn't all that difficult. I don't understand the issue. Perhaps I'm just dense.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

I'm sure you are not dense. What you say makes a lot of sense.

The issue for me is...if there is a dress code..whatever it may be...why isn't it STRICTLY enforced, across the fleet?

Because Princess is not running the DMV.

They are trying to create a pleasant experience, that perhaps customers will want to do again.

Hardly anyone leaves the DMV, dreaming of when they can return.

• Like 1