Fictitious 3rd person on booking to get the cabin you want

robtx100

Well, after all that, I decided to keep our hump cabin on deck 6. We got an amazing price when we booked with TA perks, which we would have gotten a better price if we changed cabins, but would lose the TA perks. Also, the convenience of the hump beats walking the Green Mile to the back of the ship. 

If any aft enthusiasts are interested, 7408 and 9704 are  available on Liberty of the Seas 9/6 sailing.  

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes.  😄 

To be specific about Voyager and Freedom class ships, which are identical on the aft except for the numbering, Deck 10 aft corner cabins have both a very large balcony and the floor space of (almost) a Junior Suite, for the price of a Spacious Balcony cabin.  Other decks have much larger balconies than side cabins.  Corner aft cabin on Deck 7 has a HUUUUUGE wrap-around balcony.  

Deck 9 and I think 8 aft corners are small balconies on Voyager ships. But the view is ok

• Like 1

Third person can be removed, and receive refund, until 2 weeks before sail date. Needed to do so with our daughter on the first leg of a B2B a couple of years ago. We knew long before then that she couldn't make that week, but of course they wanted us to move. So we waited until closer to sail date. Even then we had to escalate it to Revenue to get the cabin released to 2 people. Got our money back though.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:56 PM, awestover89 said:

You will pay for the third person. If they are a no-show they won't be charged gratuities and taxes and port fees will be refunded. I don't think you can expect to get any refund for their cruise fare, though. If you cancel the third person before final Royal may reprice the reservation and make you move to a 2 person cabin (we had this happen when we had an actual third person who originally was planning on going but backed out about 6 months before sailing)

When it happened to us (not planned), they did charge her the port fees and only returned the taxes (and that was only after I called to request that they do so). They said the port fees are already paid weeks before and so those aren’t refundable (I was surprised since I had remembered seeing a lot of postings over time that they were returned but both the travel agent and RCCL said nope 😞

1 hour ago, maxcat910 said:

Interesting idea. How do you book a fictitious person when you need to put in a passport or similar for them?

You could check DL and birth certificate and it just asks the state issuing the DL. Should one want to book a fictitious passenger that is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

When it happened to us (not planned), they did charge her the port fees and only returned the taxes (and that was only after I called to request that they do so). They said the port fees are already paid weeks before and so those aren’t refundable (I was surprised since I had remembered seeing a lot of postings over time that they were returned but both the travel agent and RCCL said nope 😞

What you see listed as port fees and taxes may be different depending on if you use a TA.  Some TA’s include in the taxes and port fees line an item called NCCF - non commissionable cruise fare.  That would not be refunded.  True taxes and port fees are always refunded.

2 hours ago, maxcat910 said:

Interesting idea. How do you book a fictitious person when you need to put in a passport or similar for them?

When booking you only need to enter name and birthdate.  When checking in you enter passport or BC.  There is no need to check in for a person you know is not going to sail.  There is no need for anyone to check in as it can technically be done at the pier. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, robtx100 said:

Well, after all that, I decided to keep our hump cabin on deck 6. We got an amazing price when we booked with TA perks, which we would have gotten a better price if we changed cabins, but would lose the TA perks. Also, the convenience of the hump beats walking the Green Mile to the back of the ship. 

If any aft enthusiasts are interested, 7408 and 9704 are  available on Liberty of the Seas 9/6 sailing.  

I snagged that 7408. Been looking at it for a few days but it disappeared for about an hour today and decided I better get my deposit in! My SIL also got the only 300 sq ft (besides the handicap one) Panaramic Oceanview.  It’s looking like a ghost ship currently, unless there is just a ton of guarantee bookings. Pretty much every cat I looked at had all but one or two cabins avail. 

Whatever happened to honesty and integrity? While you’re at it, you might as well share a drink package and hog chairs by the pool.

Meh. You a higher fare to book the 3rd person. While it's been possible in the past to eventually get a refund for the 3rd person, Royal has been making it harder to do without being forced to move. It may eventually be impossible. Depending on when you booked, you may have paid less for 3 than you'd later pay for two anyway. So your 3rd person no-show may turn out to be a bargain.

So no, I really don't see a problem.

13 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Meh. You a higher fare to book the 3rd person. While it's been possible in the past to eventually get a refund for the 3rd person, Royal has been making it harder to do without being forced to move. It may eventually be impossible. Depending on when you booked, you may have paid less for 3 than you'd later pay for two anyway. So your 3rd person no-show may turn out to be a bargain.

So no, I really don't see a problem.

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What you see listed as port fees and taxes may be different depending on if you use a TA.  Some TA’s include in the taxes and port fees line an item called NCCF - non commissionable cruise fare.  That would not be refunded.  True taxes and port fees are always refunded.

I understand that may be how it should be, but I was dealing with RCCl on this (only later comment from the TA). I was dealing with RCL based on their numbers (we first purchased onboard and transferred to a TA so the numbers were per RCCL).  And I went up the line at RCCL snd they all insisted the port fee would not be returned. That was just my experience. right or wrong on their part, they refused to refund anything other than a relatively small amount that was indeed the taxes. 

Edited by AlohaLivin

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

When booking you only need to enter name and birthdate.  When checking in you enter passport or BC.  There is no need to check in for a person you know is not going to sail.  There is no need for anyone to check in as it can technically be done at the pier. 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Of course you don’t..... 

I see nothing wrong with it either. If they want to pay for a third person that is their choice. It’s really no different then someone sailing solo and having to pay for two people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

I see nothing wrong with it either. If they want to pay for a third person that is their choice. It’s really no different then someone sailing solo and having to pay for two people. 

Or someone wanting a bigger room so they pay more for a suite. 

As long as you're paying extra, how would it be considered dishonest / lacking in integrity?  The cruise ship is still getting their money.

• Like 3