Any concerns picking last sailing of the year in Alaska?

Jimbo

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thinking about it, but  concerns going in September and last sailing of the year? Will things in the towns be closed, crew on the ship be in bad mood. Weather crappy. etc. People who have cruise this late in the season, how was it?

Our first Alaska cruise began on Sep 18.  I loved it.  Yes, there were some businesses in ports that were already closing/closed for the season, but the ones that were open had fantastic sales.  As well as good sales onboard the ship.

We've been in Alaska in May, June, July, and September and we've found the weather to be pretty much the same.  Only difference - the length of actual daylight each day.

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thinking about it, but  concerns going in September and last sailing of the year? Will things in the towns be closed, crew on the ship be in bad mood. Weather crappy. etc. People who have cruise this late in the season, how was it?

One thing not often mentioned is the tradition in Skagway on the last day of the summer season.  As the final cruise ship pulls away, the town's residents line the dock and moon the passengers.

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We've experienced less than ideal weather (i.e. more rain) in our one cruise in Sept.  Lots of bargains to be had in the shops!  Usually we sail if May so that one fall cruise was quite a contrast.  Glacier Bay, esp., was less than attractive with most of the snow we've seen in May around the glaciers long gone.

We've taken both the first (May) and last (September) cruises to Alaska.  On the last cruise of the season many stores will have marked down almost everything.  The temps weren't too bad, either. There was some rain, but not enough to stop us :) !

5 hours ago, Coral said:

A friend told me what a great deal she got on a jacket in September. I got the same price for that same jacket in May. So I wonder about those great deals.

The  jackets are there every year.

T-shirts, jammies and stuff will be rock bottom

I'm going to get  quotes  on a B4 and S6, added added perks by getting the Vista Suite6 on Sapphire by Princess or is it just a larger cabin.

Are drinks included in a Vista Suite?

Edited by Jimbo

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

One thing not often mentioned is the tradition in Skagway on the last day of the summer season.  As the final cruise ship pulls away, the town's residents line the dock and moon the passengers.

One of the best things about a late September cruise that stops in Skagway. And if on a future stop in Skagway, you mention this to one of the local guides, etc. they are quite excited that you know this fact.

46 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

One of the best things about a late September cruise that stops in Skagway. And if on a future stop in Skagway, you mention this to one of the local guides, etc. they are quite excited that you know this fact.

I mentioned this tradition because some might find it less than exciting.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm going to get  quotes  on a B4 and S6, added added perks by getting the Vista Suite6 on Sapphire by Princess or is it just a larger cabin.

Are drinks included in a Vista Suite?

Suite inclusions and perks:  https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Love the aft Dolphin Deck Vista Suites on Sapphire Princess.  The balcony is larger than that on other decks.  The mini-bar is filled once upon embarkation.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a current thread about Sapphire Suites: 

So,  we've been to Alaska 12 times on a cruise and our favorite time of the year to go ... you guessed it, September!!  We've been so blessed to have such great weather in early September, even going as late as September 12th out of Seattle with great weather.  But, one time when we went on September 16th, it was the stormiest weather we've ever encountered up there (and boy, was it ever stormy) ... but, it was still a fantastic cruise.  

None of the shops were closed up on any of these sailings and everything seems to be deeply discounted as far as merchandise.  

Just go prepared for the worst but, don't forget your sunscreen.  Last time up there (the first week of September), we hit one day of light drizzle and a few days of total sunshine and warm temps (low 70's).  Glacier Bay was a real treat to enjoy in shorts and t-shirts out on our balcony.  Don't forget to take clothing that you can layer ... you might just be pleasantly surprised.  

Weather is a crap shoot no matter when you go.  However in September winter is coming so expect cooler temperatures.  We have sailed the first of the season and the last plus some in between to AK.  I love AK particularly the interior.  When we went the first sailing we found excursions and shops not open yet or just opening.  The last week sailing we found private excursions and shops either already closed down or starting to do so.  One advantage is there will be no kids either in the ports or on the ship as school will be in session.  The shoulder season is always cheaper which can be a bonus. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Can you still see salmon in Ketchikan on that Salmon ladder by the bridge mid September? Very few by my recollection. Would Bear still be active in Mid September?  We saw some on the "Bear Search" excursion at Icy Strait Point.

Often you can also see salmon in that creek in Skagway, but I did not see any on our last couple of late September cruises.  If you see locals fishing in that pond that is next to the road between the dock and the town, there is a good chance that you can see salmon in that creek that goes under the road.