Making the decision to go or not to go - so many considerations

gailellen12

3 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

Thanks Kazu for your measured and sensible approach.  If you could enlighten me a bit on travel advisories I would appreciate it.  Does it mean that the cruise line would reimburse you at that point and they would need to cancel. 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Travel advisories such as “no travel” are covered by my trip cancellation insurance.  If the Government of Canada issues such a warning then my insurance will take care of me.

But, if there is a Government travel warning by the U.S., the odds are the cruise ship will not go there.  They will either change the itinerary or cancel the cruise.  If the itinerary is changed dramatically, (as in the case of the Costa transatlantic that left on March 5th), they will off a Future Cruise Credit if people opt not to go.  So a credit towards another cruise cost.

Currently some cruise lines are amending their cancellation policies temporarily.  HAL hasn’t done so yet but since Princess and Carnival have, I suspect HAL will follow suit.

This is definitely a situation that is constantly evolving.

Oops gailellen12, sorry I forgot to mention since you are NOT at final payment date yet, you should still have the option to get HAL’s CFAR insurance.  As long as it is put on before any penalties start you will have fairly decent protection from that 😉 

23 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Oh thank you. How kind. Yes, we are good. It was and still is very bad here but thank the Good Lord we and our home escaped harm. Thanks to the amazing linemen from here and all over the country we got power back Wednesday night and internet/phone yesterday.  

The tornado went just 2 blocks north of us here in East Nashville. It was terrifying. One of the victims was a bartender at one of our favorite local restaurants just down the street. Some of our beloved local businesses are gutted. Burger Up was our burger joint, literally within walking distance and they took a direct hit.

But lots of volunteer work for willing hands and lots of opportunity to give and we have the most generous folks here. Every opportunity to give seems available. Even at our Nashville Symphony concert tonight, we are collecting emergency supplies. Lots of good community feeling here. We are a big little town. I think everyone here can agree "I Believe in Nashville".

Our daughter graduated from Vanderbilt, so we visited a lot.  Nashville is indeed a very special place.  Sad to hear how near the damage was, but glad to hear you guys are okay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Our daughter graduated from Vanderbilt, so we visited a lot.  Nashville is indeed a very special place.  Sad to hear how near the damage was, but glad to hear you guys are okay.  

Dh is also a Vandy grad. 😊

• Like 1

Just cancelled our March 18, 2020 11-night Partial Panama Canal Cruise on the Zuiderdam.  We are extremely concerned  about coronavirus and are elderly.  It's just too much to have to fly from Calif. to DFW to Fort Lauderdale with a 3 hr. layover in DFW in both directions.  Plus a pre-night hotel stay and then taking our chances on a cruise ship and shore excursions.

We are most afraid of getting stuck in a quarantine or being taken to a hospital in one of the ports if we did test positive.

But also, we wouldn't be able to enjoy the cruise wondering what's going on and constantly wanting to watch the news to stay informed and looking around everything someone coughed.  It was worth the cancellation fee for piece of  mind.

This was to be a cerebration of a special wedding anniversary and DH's birthday.   This is the 3rd time we've had to cancel this cruise and figured this would be the charm rather than a curse for us.  Going to wait it out and see about booking something in 2021 or just wait until the Ryndam's Caribbean schedule.  We're going to pass on this particular itinerary thinking it just wasn't meant to be.

We bought the Platinum Insurance when we booked  (March 3, 2018) but missed the 100% refund.  Our penalty is $1,374.00 with a refund of $7,852.  The refund includes airfare, transfers, hotel stays.  Our shore excursions will be refunded separably. 

• Like 3

We are waiting and seeing. Just got our big box TA to extend the final payment on our June 20 cruise out of Amsterdam.

The TA had March 8 as final payment, however the real HAL final payment was March 22.

We got them to confirm March 19 as the last date to buy the Platinum Insurance, so the supervisor extended to that date.

Hold time were not as bad as we were expecting.

19 hours ago, fatbob66 said:

We just cancelled a cruise with HAL and they allowed us to use the value of the cruise on any other cruise of the same value or greater for any date in 2020. Our TA took care of all the details and we're now booked on a November 2020 cruise. It was a difficult decision.

fatbob66...It seems that you are the lucky one...and the only one ..at least on this thread..that has been able to book something else within the 2020 time frame!! My TA just called 2X and received the same answer she got before...the only option was to book something else in the 50 % penalty phase...which just doesn't make any sense!!

Are you willing to share info with us so that we might be able to show HAL that you have been able to do this? Do you feel that you were given some type of exception due to health reasons or ? I'm not trying to pry..I just have to cancel our April T/A by tomorrow...before  I move into the 75% penalty range...on the cardio doc's orders ( age and cardio vascular disease on the part of my 83 yo DH) and would like to be able to move that $$ to somewhere else...other than a cruise in this same time frame!!!

Trip insurance have said that they won't cover the cancellation ...even though I have a policy that covers pre-existing conditions because it is about the virus and they don't cover epidemics!! (even though they have now said if we were to go they would cover any medical expenses due to contracting the virus!! Go figure on THAT one!!!)

What a mess!!! Any and all help is so appreciated!!!  🙂

Just putting this out there - one consideration I have is my elderly mother, relatives and close friends. I am anxious they may contact the illness while I am away and I am unable to return quickly.   This is almost a taboo subject but I think it worries me significantly enough to cancel my travel plans. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

fatbob66...It seems that you are the lucky one...and the only one ..at least on this thread..that has been able to book something else within the 2020 time frame!! My TA just called 2X and received the same answer she got before...the only option was to book something else in the 50 % penalty phase...which just doesn't make any sense!!

Are you willing to share info with us so that we might be able to show HAL that you have been able to do this? Do you feel that you were given some type of exception due to health reasons or ? I'm not trying to pry..I just have to cancel our April T/A by tomorrow...before  I move into the 75% penalty range...on the cardio doc's orders ( age and cardio vascular disease on the part of my 83 yo DH) and would like to be able to move that $$ to somewhere else...other than a cruise in this same time frame!!!

Trip insurance have said that they won't cover the cancellation ...even though I have a policy that covers pre-existing conditions because it is about the virus and they don't cover epidemics!! (even though they have now said if we were to go they would cover any medical expenses due to contracting the virus!! Go figure on THAT one!!!)

What a mess!!! Any and all help is so appreciated!!!  🙂

What other info would you like, I'd be happy to tell you whatever might help

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

My husband said the same thing. Brand loyalty for us is big..... but it only goes so far. Here's hoping once Seattle HQ wakes up this am the memo will get sent out. 

Watch the news from HAL that was just published in USA. I think favourable for all old and new "bookers". Bedtime now over here, so I cannot copy/paste. 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Time For Dreaming said:

Just cancelled our March 18, 2020 11-night Partial Panama Canal Cruise on the Zuiderdam.  We are extremely concerned  about coronavirus and are elderly.  It's just too much to have to fly from Calif. to DFW to Fort Lauderdale with a 3 hr. layover in DFW in both directions.  Plus a pre-night hotel stay and then taking our chances on a cruise ship and shore excursions.

We're scheduled to leave on March 18th, but we didn't get cancel for any reason, and they're telling me that they have no information of things going bad on any of their ships. 

If we do end up  cancelling and getting no refund/future credit, we'll probably cancel all our HAL cruises and go with another line.

10 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

We're scheduled to leave on March 18th, but we didn't get cancel for any reason, and they're telling me that they have no information of things going bad on any of their ships. 

If we do end up  cancelling and getting no refund/future credit, we'll probably cancel all our HAL cruises and go with another line.

You need to contact whoever you booked with. HAL announced a new policy late this afternoon. You can cancel and receive a FCC, must be done at least 72 hours before departure.

Read the thread above will HAL match Princess policy for the full version.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
Adding more information

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

If there is a problem diagnosed on the current sailing (Eurodam) the next cruise (March 18) will be cancelled by HAL and you would get your money back.  

We are so grateful that our cruise on the NA ended on 2/22/20  It seems like the corona virus erupted shortly there after  We've discussed future cruises but I don't think we will do another cruise until a reliable vaccine is available  This illness is really scary and being prone to lung issues we don't want to chance it  We look forward to cruising again someday, til then good luck to all who have current plans    

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of the ships that have had outbreaks so far in the Pacific? If true, the risk on a Caribbean cruise is probably lower than something out of the west coast.  Of course all it would take is one infected but as yet undiagnosed person flying in from a problem area and getting on board to cause a breakout.

While many are concerned with Coronavirus, it is understandable to be worried.

But, it sure would be nice if there was more emphasis put on the happenings of this particular cruise, such as food comments, show comments, activities planned, social engagements, cabin reviews - anything to make us feel the on board vibe.

We leave Apr 2 from Sydney for 39 days. Received the following a few hours ago. 
we will take the $200 OBV as we have no intention of cancelling. 

ID #8603659287  View as web page
Holland America Line
Holland America Line | A Message from Orlando Ashford

Dear Holland America Line Guest, 

I want to personally thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your upcoming cruise. These continue to be unpredictable times, and I remain personally committed to ensuring our guests can cruise with confidence in this period of much uncertainty. Please be assured that Holland America Line takes the health and safety of our guests and crew very seriously.

To protect the health and safety of all on board, we are closely monitoring the evolving situation. Holland America Line has deep partnerships with the global health experts from the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and together, we have developed enhanced screening, prevention and control procedures for our ships to keep guests and crew safe. You can learn more about our enhanced pre-boarding and on board health protocols, along with other important information, from our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Grant Tarling, here.

Nevertheless, we understand our guests have questions about their upcoming cruise. As such, I’d like to share these policy updates that provide options and flexibility should you want to reschedule your vacation currently booked between now and May 31, 2020, as well as incentives to proceed with your plans.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your booking. There is no need to call us.

For guests who booked prior to March 6 and decide to change their vacation plans, we will allow those booked on sailings between now and May 31, 2020,the option of cancelling their booking(no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date). However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window.

• Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee, which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021.
  • The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

I continue to believe that travel has the power to change us and our world. For 147 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising and weathered many storms. We look forward to introducing guests to new places, people and cultures for years to come.

Orlando Ashford
President, Holland America Line

*Please note: The offers are not applicable to guests booked on a charter sailing.

This email may install a cookie or similar technology. For information about our use of cookies, please consult our privacy policy.
HEP2015MP3
Please add Holland America Line to your address book or safe sender list.
Unsubscribe  |  Contact Us  |  Legal and Privacy
© 2001 – 2020 Holland America Line N.V., 450 Third Ave. W., Seattle, WA 98119
hollandamerica.com

event?d_cid=110361%018603659287&c_emailc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

If there is a problem diagnosed on the current sailing (Eurodam) the next cruise (March 18) will be cancelled by HAL and you would get your money back.  

I’m on that Hawaii sailing and have been getting increasingly concerned due to the Grand Princess situation on its attempted return from a Hawaii cruise. And now Hawaii has its first confirmed case, and the governor is making remarks that seem to be discouraging ships from coming. So yes, I am following what’s happening with the current Eurodam cruise that is about to begin its port calls in Hawaii this weekend. I’d rather have a refund than a future cruise credit, but I’m glad the FCC is now officially on the table.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/06/breaking-news/cruise-ship-that-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-increases-likelihood-of-infection-in-hawaii-lt-gov-josh-green-says/

36 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I’m on that Hawaii sailing and have been getting increasingly concerned due to the Grand Princess situation on its attempted return from a Hawaii cruise. And now Hawaii has its first confirmed case, and the governor is making remarks that seem to be discouraging ships from coming. So yes, I am following what’s happening with the current Eurodam cruise that is about to begin its port calls in Hawaii this weekend. I’d rather have a refund than a future cruise credit, but I’m glad the FCC is now officially on the table.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/06/breaking-news/cruise-ship-that-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-increases-likelihood-of-infection-in-hawaii-lt-gov-josh-green-says/

We have just received the HAL e-mail offering FCC if we feel the need to cancel.  I’m also following the Grand Princess discussion.  As much as we were looking forward to visiting Hawaii again we may put it off until next year.   We were planning to use the public bus system in Honolulu (may not want to do that anymore).  Also I have concern about the staff onboard the ship becoming ill.  I would also prefer a refund instead of a FCC.  Maybe they will end up cancelling the cruise before we have to decide.  We have a week to make up our mind but we will probably cancel the cruise.  

Yesterday we made the decision to cancel our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam that leaves tomorrow from San Diego. We finally had to accept that we could be the next iteration of the Grand Princess and I just didn't know how to explain to our families that we had taken a risk that would cause them so much anxiety.  We are not worriers by nature and I am still surprised that I am on my couch this evening reading CC instead of enjoying an evening in San Diego and getting excited about sail away tomorrow.  We have a 31 day TA on the Veendam scheduled on April 22 so we will face another decision soon.  Luckily we have HAL's platinum insurance so the cancellation process was seamless and we are only out 10 per cent of the cruise cost.  I am please to see that HAL has changed the cancellation time frame so that helps with some of the stress about the next cruise.  I am also glad that we are retired so re-scheduling vacation time is not an issue. I know I will cruise again before very long because the novel coronavirus will be controlled eventually.  I feel really bad for all those people who work in the travel industry and are facing loss of income.  Missing a cruise pales compared to what so many others are facing right now although I am going to allow myself some time to sulk. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ajcathy said:

Yesterday we made the decision to cancel our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam that leaves tomorrow from San Diego. We finally had to accept that we could be the next iteration of the Grand Princess and I just didn't know how to explain to our families that we had taken a risk that would cause them so much anxiety.  We are not worriers by nature and I am still surprised that I am on my couch this evening reading CC instead of enjoying an evening in San Diego and getting excited about sail away tomorrow.  We have a 31 day TA on the Veendam scheduled on April 22 so we will face another decision soon.  Luckily we have HAL's platinum insurance so the cancellation process was seamless and we are only out 10 per cent of the cruise cost.  I am please to see that HAL has changed the cancellation time frame so that helps with some of the stress about the next cruise.  I am also glad that we are retired so re-scheduling vacation time is not an issue. I know I will cruise again before very long because the novel coronavirus will be controlled eventually.  I feel really bad for all those people who work in the travel industry and are facing loss of income.  Missing a cruise pales compared to what so many others are facing right now although I am going to allow myself some time to sulk. 

Bold is mine. Maybe you missed yesterdays letter by Mr Ashford in which I read that "the new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window"?  If  I understand from your posting, you were booked on the Oosterdam, March 9th from San Diego?  Maybe the 10% will be a(nother) FCD?

Edited by MAVIP

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Bold is mine. Maybe you missed yesterdays letter by Mr Ashford in which I read that "the new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window"?  If  I understand from your posting, you were booked on the Oosterdam, March 9th from San Diego?  Maybe the 10% will be a(nother) FCD?

Someone on another board said they received their 10% and the cosf of the Platinum Protection both as a FCC. I’m hoping to do it this way myself. I hope there is consistency for how they deal with those with their platinum protection, but they have proven that they are going out of their way to make things right for customers. Feel very sad for the cruise industry and the repercussions from this - we love HAL and had many years of planning ahead for us.  

2 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Someone on another board said they received their 10% and the cosf of the Platinum Protection both as a FCC. I’m hoping to do it this way myself. I hope there is consistency for how they deal with those with their platinum protection, but they have proven that they are going out of their way to make things right for customers. Feel very sad for the cruise industry and the repercussions from this - we love HAL and had many years of planning ahead for us.  

Yes, I fully agree. We are loyal passengers and HAL has always been loyal to us. 

9 hours ago, Caesar said:

While many are concerned with Coronavirus, it is understandable to be worried.

But, it sure would be nice if there was more emphasis put on the happenings of this particular cruise, such as food comments, show comments, activities planned, social engagements, cabin reviews - anything to make us feel the on board vibe.

@Caesar  you have wandered into the wrong thread.  Try your room call