Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

People aged 60 years old and above have a higher risk of contracting Covid-19 coronavirus if they go to crowded areas and they should avoid anywhere they could pick up the virus, the World Health Organisation says. That puts us and many other cruisers in this category.

14 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I may be wrong, but I believed the virus could only survive without a human host for a few hours.  If they just totally emptied the ship of all crew for a day, then it would have all been killed off surely. 

No, evidence from the WHO suggests that the virus can live on surfaces for a number of days.

• Like 2

Just now, Aqueous said:

People aged 60 years old and above have a higher risk of contracting Covid-19 coronavirus if they go to crowded areas and they should avoid anywhere they could pick up the virus, the World Health Organisation says. That puts us and many other cruisers in this category.

I thought the evidence was that people over 60 are more likely to die from it, due to age related health problems, rather than being more likely to catch it, per se. 

Pando's travel advisory is now back:

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

Some new? interesting paragraphs:

"Pack 14 days of extra medication – In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise. Also bring a list of the names, strengths and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.

Provide emergency contact - It is critical that each of our guests provides a validated emergency contact & phone number within My P&O Cruises. The emergency contact should be a personal connection and not be travelling with you.

Mobile phone instructions – Guests should enable an international travel plan inclusive of voice and data. Mobile phones will not work the same in all countries without an international plan and Wi-Fi is not as available in many countries. An international plan will enable you to stay connected at a reasonable rate and ensure you can be contacted."

As our next cruise is a b2b, looks like minimum of 6 weeks meds! Probably take 8.  Be prepared and all that. Gonna be an adventure!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sure that's precisely what they're doing - it's the way they always operate, and it's one of the main reasons for what's perceived as my negativity towards the company in these forums.  They simply don't play fair with their customers, even to the extent of conveniently ignoring their legal obligations, and this is yet another example of that.

They have no option but to refund in these circumstances, and Saga have accepted that already, as, I believe have other companies.  P&O have to have refunds forced out of them with threats/promises of legal action, and any company that puts its customers through that should be ashamed of itself - particularly when it's exploiting older customers who tend to believe what they're told by a company many of them seem to trust.

just out of interest how many times have P&O withheld the refunds in the best of your knowledge.

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

just out of interest how many times have P&O withheld the refunds in the best of your knowledge.

How would anyone know? One can only recount their own experience. They tried it on with me, that’s all I can say. 

2 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

My balance if full paid and I sail on 17th May, I am wondering if it would be better for me to wait and hopefully P & O will cancel the cruise. Then I should get a full refund.  Anybody got any thoughts on this?

I should mention that I am 79 with health issues, controlled by drugs.

Ours isn't until November 6th so we are just waiting and  hoping. However we will do the same then as if we were going next week. Wait and see. If the ship sails we'll be on it. 100% refund if P&0 cancel. We're both mid 70s and in fairly good health though. Just the cholesterol and BP issues drug controlled. 

Edited by Adawn47

2 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

My balance if full paid and I sail on 17th May, I am wondering if it would be better for me to wait and hopefully P & O will cancel the cruise. Then I should get a full refund.  Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Unless there are widespread outbreaks in the UK resulting in the govt preventing cruising, then I imagine P&O will try to arrange alternative ports if any are deemed dangerous to visit, or they refuse to accept cruise ships.

We were due to go to Hong Kong last month but cancelled due to the virus (everything I had booked was fully refundable). I then booked a cruise for the end of March - and then the Diamond Princess happened! I'm beginning to think I'm a jinx!

Anyway, as we are fully paid up we won't be cancelling unless P&O cancel it on our behalf. I simply can't afford to lose the cost of the cruise. If something happens that means that the insurance would pay out if we cancel then would need to review the situation but, as it stands, we are still going on 28th March.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Unless there are widespread outbreaks in the UK resulting in the govt preventing cruising, then I imagine P&O will try to arrange alternative ports if any are deemed dangerous to visit, or they refuse to accept cruise ships.

That itself should mean you are offered the chance to cancel for a full refund. 

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Any clue where the could go instead? 

Isnt there a ship in Tenerife today?

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

So if they change my ports they have to refund me?

No....not necessarily….sometimes you just have to accept the change....our travel insurance offers us compensation if the cruise misses a Port Of Call.

As I stated earlier on a couple of cruises MSC offered us a us a full refund for changing POC....P&O didn't 

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

So if they change my ports they have to refund me?

It depends whether it is a significant change to the itinerary. If, for example, they substituted Gran Canaria for Tenerife, as may happen on my April cruise, that would be within their terms. But if they sailed out of Southampton and did a few ports in France or Spain  instead of the Canaries, for example, that would be a significant change, entitling you to cancel for a full refund. 

Edited by staygulf

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

1 hour ago, staygulf said:

How would anyone know? One can only recount their own experience. They tried it on with me, that’s all I can say. 

Quite.  And I can add more personal experiences to that, when full refunds have been obtained (including deposits) despite the terms and conditions, using the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  You do need to understand the law, and you do need to persevere, because P&O use spurious arguments to try to escape liability.  A solicitor would do it for you, but that really isn't necessary, and it would be potentially costly.

Even on these threads, though, there's clear evidence of a policy against customers on refunds - several people have been reporting being told by P&O that there will be no refunds because of the terms and conditions.  What they never, of course, say is that those terms and conditions are subject to English legislation, notable the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018

Edited by Harry Peterson

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I would expect they would try to offer alternative Canary ports, or possibly add an overnight in one of the ports.

I believe they often refuel in Tenerife so unless its banned I imagine they will go there.

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite.  And I can add more personal experiences to that, when full refunds have been obtained (including deposits) despite the terms and conditions, using the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  You do need to understand the law, and you do need to persevere, because P&O use spurious arguments to try to escape liability.  A solicitor would do it for you, but that really isn't necessary, and it would be potentially costly.

Exactly. That is what I said earlier. I successfully used that legislation to get my refund. My point was that no one can know how many times they have withheld refunds. That’s an impossibility. 

30 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Tour Operators are still flying shed loads of people out to Tenerife. We have friends flying out tomorrow, business as usual! It is only the one hotel at the moment. I would be more concerned if I was going through the airport than arriving on a cruise ship.

17 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

12 new cases just announced. If this increases daily travel will be banned IMO

Realistically how is that possible? People need to travel to get to work.