Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

35 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

But was it signed in blood in front of Harry 

No need for confrontation - there are various get-out clauses in that wording, marked in red.

"Guests that have been denied boarding have been provided with a refund if they haven't been able to claim via their travel insurers but this is looked at on a case by case basis."

This is NOT a clear statement of intent to reimburse.  It may well go that way, and I hope it does, but the statement contains weasel words.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

No need for confrontation - there are various get-out clauses in that wording, marked in red.

"Guests that have been denied boarding have been provided with a refund if they haven't been able to claim via their travel insurers but this is looked at on a case by case basis."

This is NOT a clear statement of intent to reimburse.  It may well go that way, and I hope it does, but the statement contains weasel words.

As I posted earlier, insurance does not come into it. Passengers should not be expected to claim under their insurance policy when the obligation to refund is the cruise line’s. 

Being a totally non-religious type, I mentioned about communion to my husband this morning, as it's Sunday and I wondered if there would be a change.  Out of interest I typed it into Google and sure enough wafers will not be put in the mouth and no wine!  I always did think it was a revolting habit to let someone drink out of a chalice, then wipe it with the same cloth you just used before and give it to someone else.  YUK

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

don't agree.  If you are refused boarding because you are ill, then your travel insurance should probably pay.  If not, then the cruise line will.  that;s how I read it.

And your insurer will tell you that their job is to reimburse costs that cannot be recouped from the provider, in this case P&O, who appear to have a legal obligation to do just that.

4 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I should mention that I am 79 with health issues, controlled by drugs.

I am not sure at all about this, but why not contact your insurance people and ask if they would cover you if you got a dr's note to say that it wasn't safe to travel . If they would I would cancel. Easy for me to say but just an idea

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

don't agree.  If you are refused boarding because you are ill, then your travel insurance should probably pay.  If not, then the cruise line will.  that;s how I read it.

Most travel insurers  won't pay out in this Covid19 situation Jean, they have at least 2 exclusion causes they can use to avoid paying. So a bit more clarity from P&O wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by terrierjohn

I will wait until the embarkation day to decide if I will step on board or not. I can always do a land trip.

Just like everybody else, I am terrified of being quarantine. I think it is a sense of hopelessness that bother me the most. It is outside your control once you get on the ship.  If other passengers get sick, you are screwed and nothing you can do about it. 

• Like 1

Really strange thing just been reading some of the reviews from people back from there cruises they seamed to enjoy them, if only they came on here they probably would not have gone on them.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 10:01 AM, janny444 said:

Hi....yes I too am having a problem accessing CC with Chrome on my computer...as you say there is an overlay on the screen. No problem when I use Edge although it is rather slower to load  when using Edge 

Me too. I was going to ask my Son to fix it, but will wait and see if it is a problem with CC.

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite.  And I can add more personal experiences to that, when full refunds have been obtained (including deposits) despite the terms and conditions, using the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  You do need to understand the law, and you do need to persevere, because P&O use spurious arguments to try to escape liability.  A solicitor would do it for you, but that really isn't necessary, and it would be potentially costly.

Even on these threads, though, there's clear evidence of a policy against customers on refunds - several people have been reporting being told by P&O that there will be no refunds because of the terms and conditions.  What they never, of course, say is that those terms and conditions are subject to English legislation, notable the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018

Can you tell me what regulations would apply to a package booked  before implementation of 2018 package travel regulations? 

5 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Can you tell me what regulations would apply to a package booked  before implementation of 2018 package travel regulations? 

Presumably would have come under the 1992 Package Holiday Regulations

27 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

The Package Travel Regulations 1992. More restricted, not as comprehensive,  but enhanced by the use of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as an additional weapon in the armoury against companies with unfair terms and conditions. 

1 hour ago, davemorton said:

Stolen from P&O facebook page. 

88357350_1011039902610634_85071446520784

Which has been "doctored" from a post about a holiday in Tenerife and also in Italy. Obviously initially posted somewhere on the internet as a joke and has now appeared all over with different holiday settings and unfortunately some people are gullible enough to believe it.

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Package Travel Regulations 1992. More restricted, not as comprehensive,  but enhanced by the use of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as an additional weapon in the armoury against companies with unfair terms and conditions. 

Thank you. I booked a package holiday. Looking now to cancel and the cruise company are applying  their package terms and conditions to the cancellation rather than the cruise company terms. This would mean a 75% cancellation fee rather than the cruise line terms which would be 50%. The uplift in the cancellation cost is significant.  This feels unreasonable, but what can I do. A salutary lesson I fear in the downside of not booking direct. 

Edited by Bedruthen

2 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Thank you. Just realised I booked in 2019 doh!  So here’s my problem. I booked two  cruises plus a transfer making it a package holiday. Looking now to cancel and the cruise company are applying  their package terms and conditions to the cancellation rather than the cruise company terms. This would mean a 75% cancellation fee rather than the cruise line terms which would be 50% on one cruise and deposit only on the other, the uplift in the cancellation cost is significant, almost £1000.  This feels unreasonable, but what can I do. A salutary lesson I fear in the downside of not booking direct. 

I assume you mean you booked through a company like Iglu, a consolidator?

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Me too. I was going to ask my Son to fix it, but will wait and see if it is a problem with CC.

I've had the same problem on my mobile. My grandson cleared the browser and so far  it's fine. Touch wood. My laptop is fine with chrome. 

Edited by Adawn47

3 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Thank you. Just realised I booked in 2019 doh!  So here’s my problem. I booked two  cruises plus a transfer making it a package holiday. Looking now to cancel and the cruise company are applying  their package terms and conditions to the cancellation rather than the cruise company terms. This would mean a 75% cancellation fee rather than the cruise line terms which would be 50% on one cruise and deposit only on the other, the uplift in the cancellation cost is significant, almost £1000.  This feels unreasonable, but what can I do. A salutary lesson I fear in the downside of not booking direct. 

It should not matter how you booked, direct or TA your contract is with P&O  a TA acts as agent for the cruise company.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Which has been "doctored" from a post about a holiday in Tenerife and also in Italy. Obviously initially posted somewhere on the internet as a joke and has now appeared all over with different holiday settings and unfortunately some people are gullible enough to believe it.

What was put on the post on the p&O site made it fairly obvious it was a joke. First time I have seen the pic, I’m obviously a bit behind .