Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

My Mum and sister are on the Britannia at the moment on a 2 week Caribbean from Barbados. At last minute they upgraded from an inside to a balcony in case they were quarantined. 

No-one in Manchester airport was wearing masks, and some of the locals in Barbados had not even heard of Coronavirus! 

My parents are on the Oceana in July doing the Malta/Italy B2B and they are getting concerned what will happen with that one. Got my fingers crossed that things will be calmer by December in time for our family xmas cruise on the Azura!!

1 minute ago, Glitterati said:

No-one in Manchester airport was wearing masks

Masks should be worn if you are suffering from the virus. As a method of prevention,  they are just about useless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

12 new cases just announced. If this increases daily travel will be banned IMO

The way I read it daily travel would not be banned because the whole country would starve to death in a few weeks. Travel by public transport would be discouraged. Buses, planes, trains, cruise ships. Any transport where lots of people are in close proximity. As for suggesting people work from home, how does a bus driver or dustman do this?

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Pando's travel advisory is now back:

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

Some new? interesting paragraphs:

"Pack 14 days of extra medication – In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise. Also bring a list of the names, strengths and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.

Provide emergency contact - It is critical that each of our guests provides a validated emergency contact & phone number within My P&O Cruises. The emergency contact should be a personal connection and not be travelling with you.

Mobile phone instructions – Guests should enable an international travel plan inclusive of voice and data. Mobile phones will not work the same in all countries without an international plan and Wi-Fi is not as available in many countries. An international plan will enable you to stay connected at a reasonable rate and ensure you can be contacted."

As our next cruise is a b2b, looks like minimum of 6 weeks meds! Probably take 8.  Be prepared and all that. Gonna be an adventure!

That's the same one as on the Cunard site?

Emergency contact - nobody I know including relatives would be happy to draw the short straw. just put down anyone!

Mobile phone - don't have a smart phone! and what happens if you don't have a mobile?

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

That's the same one as on the Cunard site?

Emergency contact - nobody I know including relatives would be happy to draw the short straw. just put down anyone!

Mobile phone - don't have a smart phone! and what happens if you don't have a mobile?

Of course it’s the same. It’s presumably a Carnival announcement. PANDO and Cunard are just trading names for Carnival. 

Just watched some BBC news channel. Two potentially worrying cases have turned up in China and Japan. People who appear to have been re-infected despite recovering. Apparently it is possible to catch the 'same' common cold more than once. common colds are caused by coronavirus and COVID-19 is a coronavirus. Also, it is possible to catch a virus, recover but the virus has not gone away, it is lurking in your system and emerges later, maybe years later, shingles, cold sores?. either way not good news.

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Masks should be worn if you are suffering from the virus. As a method of prevention,  they are just about useless.

Absolutely right.  Heard a senior epidemiologist say exactly the same on the TV.  Only good for stopping giving it to someone else.  Wearing one yourself if yu are healthy is useless.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Just watched the Princess Cruises update by Grant Tarling Princess chief medical person who says amongst other things (eg everyone will be given antibac gel) that if you are denied boarding you will be given a full refund .... come on P&O get with it !!

Are p&o saying they will not refund the individual who is denied boarding 

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Are p&o saying they will not refund the individual who is denied boarding 

Various posts here say so.

Nobody here has apparently managed to get them to accept that they will refund - even though they'll be required to under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 if they're forced to comply with their legal obligations.

It shouldn't be that way - it's just plain dishonest.

25 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Reread the first line of his post

This?

I'm sure that's precisely what they're doing - it's the way they always operate, and it's one of the main reasons for what's perceived as my negativity towards the company in these forums.

They're still doing it, even now - see Post 415 above.  How do you defend a company that tries to deny customers their legal rights?  I'd be interested to hear your reponse?

Edited by Harry Peterson
Added post number

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This?

I'm sure that's precisely what they're doing - it's the way they always operate, and it's one of the main reasons for what's perceived as my negativity towards the company in these forums.

They're still doing it, even now - see Post 415 above.  How do you defend a company that tries to deny customers their legal rights?  I'd be interested to hear your reponse?

Once you have form Harry it's difficult to throw it off.😉😇

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Various posts here say so.

Nobody here has apparently managed to get them to accept that they will refund - even though they'll be required to under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 if they're forced to comply with their legal obligations.

It shouldn't be that way - it's just plain dishonest.

So it’s not actual fact but hearsay ok I get it now sorry thought it was a statement of fact

I posted earlier that P&O told me if I was denied boarding then I would be refunded.  Being denied boarding is not what worries me, it's being quarantined somewhere either in our cabin or ashore somewhere that bothers me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I posted earlier that P&O told me if I was denied boarding then I would be refunded.  Being denied boarding is not what worries me, it's being quarantined somewhere either in our cabin or ashore somewhere that bothers me.

That's the opposite to what they told me on Friday Jean, but it seems things are changing daily. 

They just referred me to the T&C's which article 38 says if you are refused boarding for any reason, you will not be refunded... 

Glad they have seen sense and got in line with the other cruise lines. 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Did you get it in writing Jean?

On facebook Messenger - yes..

"Guests that have been denied boarding have been provided with a refund if they haven't been able to claim via their travel insurers but this is looked at on a case by case basis."

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1