Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

It appears that the Carnival Corporation are letting the various lines under their control set their own cancellation policies re Covid 19.

Carnival Cruise Lines have issued a similar policy to Princess, but not quite as generous, while HAL, Cunard, Costa, P&O etc are taking no action, as yet.

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not according to a radio program I was listening to, some specifically exclude cover if a pandemic is declared. I checked my own and I am fully covered but they said the same as the radio, some policies  simply exclude it along with anything resulting from for example wars, political coups etc.

I still think you'll find that it's in relation to cancelling a holiday for one of those reasons, rather than falling ill whilst on holiday.  

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

What was the gist of it Jean?

This may work.....

We recognise the ongoing coronavirus situation is potentially unsettling. We are currently monitoring the developments and our experts are following closely with the World Health Organization (WHO) and Public Health England to ensure you can still enjoy your holiday.

As there are now less than 90 days before your departure, the standard cancellation charges apply as we currently have no plans to cancel the cruise, unless we are advised otherwise by the relevant authorities.

If amendments to your itinerary are made, guests will be contacted at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Basically it says nothing more than we knew.  We are within 90 days and so cancellation terms apply.  We will be informed if ports are changed.

Thanks, no surprise there then. 

I think they will live to regret the reputational damage this will cause them longer term.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I still think you'll find that it's in relation to cancelling a holiday for one of those reasons, rather than falling ill whilst on holiday.  

All I know is that I was spooked enough by the comments on the programme to phone my own insurance to double check.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks, no surprise there then. 

I think they will live to regret the reputation damage this will cause them longer term.

I think you are probably right, though there might still (just) be time to rescue the situation.  

Here’s my take on things, and the reason I’m content to simply lose deposits on currently booked cruises.  Apologies if you’ve already read this in the Coronavirus thread

Covid-19 is ‘just’ another cold/flu virus, though it is totally new to the human population.

It is normally only a mild infection BUT, as no-one is immune (because it’s brand new) it is very, very contagious.

Just like ordinary, seasonal, flu, there are risks for those who are already at risk.  These are, in general, people who live with a serious condition already.  
As people get older they are more likely to develop the heart and lung disease, diabetes, kidney issues, etc,  which makes Covid-19 a more dangerous proposition

So, I think, for myself, being a septuagenarian with no health issues and not on any medication, my chance of catching Covid-19 is high (like everyone in the population) but my chance of dying from it is no higher than of dying should I catch 2020 seasonal flu.  It is not risk free but it is minimal.  This is different from the 1918 Spanish Flu, where we are told that healthy 20 year olds were going to work in the morning and dying in the afternoon 

I’d be delighted to have someone confirm that, or interested to learn where I have gone wrong, if that is the case

I do not need medical science or a double first in epidemiology to know that two weeks at sea, confined to cabin, followed by a further two weeks in isolation on land, is not a good way to spend my time or my money.  I shall not be cruising for a little while.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Sorry that has copied like that.  Not sure why.

As an answer it is totally worthless and although you do get a fast response via facecloth, I wonder if it really enhances P&Os customer service when the replies are so bland.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

MY TA has emailed me new guidelines from P&O, but not for public viewing. 

I booked directly wit PANDO but they haven’t advised me of revised terms. 

Edited by staygulf

4 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

What's the point of telling us then not sharing?

Indeed, secrecy will just make things worse in this situation as people will automatically assume the secrecy is because P&O don't want you to know something. Come on Jean we are waiting.

Part of a press release by RCL group....

The "Cruise With Confidence" policy allows guests on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea to cancel up to 48 hours before a sailing. Guests will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of the guest's choice in 2020 or 2021. The policy applies to both new and existing cruise bookings.

C'mon P&O do the right thing by your loyal customers.

• Like 1

They have just added another paragraph on their website

If you are concerned about travelling within balance due date due to medical reasons, we are now able to look at transferring your booking, if you can provide a letter from a medical practitioner/Doctor on headed paper which confirms that you are unfit to travel on your cruise.

They are doing there usual trick which P&O are famous for picking off one or two complainants and seeing them right and saying dont tell anyone and then treat the rest of us like mushrooms. I just hope those affected this time have longer memories than P&O think when you come to book your next cruise and who you book with. I have said and told them direct for last few years taht they treat their customers with contempt and dont return the loyalty they expect you to give them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Indeed, secrecy will just make things worse in this situation as people will automatically assume the secrecy is because P&O don't want you to know something. Come on Jean we are waiting.

Jean.....if the boot was on the other foot, wouldn't you want to know?