Splendor! 14th March 2020 - Live JOINT blog

Hambagahle

True, we're booked on the after this one and really was looking forward to the cruise on the new ship.  Disappointed sure, but like most say it's better to be safe than sorry.  Regent did the right thing along with other cruise lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbsey said:

HAMBAGAHLE thinking of you- BA flight tonight - San Diego - Heathrow departs around 20.30

SAD DIEGO

13 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Aside from crying??   It is terrible to see the ship sitting there and not be sailing tomorrow.

We are flying to Toronto tomorrow, then to Zürich on Sunday evening.   I will be so happy to be home.

Gerry

Hope you all have safe journeys home.

So disappointing, especially taking long flights and then to have the cruise cancelled at the last minute 😕

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

True, we're booked on the after this one and really was looking forward to the cruise on the new ship.  Disappointed sure, but like most say it's better to be safe than sorry.  Regent did the right thing along with other cruise lines.

We were also scheduled to sail on the 1 Apr cruise.  I can't even tell you how disappointed we are.  One good thing, though, is that if we went we were going to have to be screened when we got to NYC port.  The mayor there said no one was getting off a cruise ship in New York ports without being screened.  If anyone was sick we'd all have been quarantined.

3 minutes ago, tnr said:

I’m sitting here looking at ready-to -go suitcases that we’re going to be onboard the Splendor today.  It is depressing to think about having to unpack them!

That is depressing.  I’m so sorry. 

39 minutes ago, tnr said:

I’m sitting here looking at ready-to -go suitcases that we’re going to be onboard the Splendor today.  It is depressing to think about having to unpack them!

We shipped our luggage to San Diego. It’s now on its way back to us. It made the trip that we didn’t. 
Fortunately, neither of us wound up there. 
I hope Gerry and Ken make it home swiftly and safely. 
Happy Anniversary to all three of us! We shall have that dinner together somewhere in the future!

Sheila and Herb

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We shipped our luggage to San Diego. It’s now on its way back to us. It made the trip that we didn’t. 
Fortunately, neither of us wound up there. 
I hope Gerry and Ken make it home swiftly and safely. 
Happy Anniversary to all three of us! We shall have that dinner together somewhere in the future!

Sheila and Herb

We will celebrate on the 2022 TA if not before.  

• Like 1

All:  What a whirlwind situation over the past 36 hours.  

Back home at Redmond, WA a few hours ago following efficient transfer(s) facilitated by Regent from our San Diego hotel; to Airport; then onboard a Delta flight (about 50% occupied) back to SEATAC.  At least, had an opportunity to view "Splendor" yesterday late AM at that San Diego Pier when on a limo drive from Airport to Regent's downtown hotel.  Should have taken a photo.  Must be content to having that image in our minds.   Perhaps, a screen-shot will suffice. 

Fortunately, we did not face an intercontinental reverse-of-itinerary back to Country of origin.  Our flight was 2.75 hours to SEATAC.  Several couples we met, albeit briefly at Regent's OMNI Hotel, advised having to negotiate return(s) to Germany, New Zealand, and Australia.   

There are way-more significant challenges than what we negotiated facing this Country over the next weeks.   Thus, Sue and I have put this glitch into that perspective.  We now begin a self-imposed 14-day period of basic home "rest".  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, kaleighsgram said:

Having a husband who is 72 and has cancer, If his doctor won’t sign that form, what happens then?

I suppose you cannot cruise...unless of course his doctor thinks he is able to do so.  Depends on what the doctor indicates on the form.

so -  we walked over to the Broadway pier just now to take a close up look at Splendor - the ship is that in every way!!  Sparkling new and lovely.  Had a nice chat with the Security Guard who told me he would be there to welcome us on Saturday.   Here is a "close up and personal "photo of the ship:IMG_1238.mov

Edited by Hambagahle

Jim and Sue - glad you are home safe and sound.  Ken and I are at the Sheraton at the Toronto airport and have a flight to ZRH this afternoon.  We should be home in Martigny tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.   We wish you and Sue a very happy 50th anniversary and are so sorry we didn't get to have dinner with you as planned...

Gerry

I have been following along with you all for many months now, anticipating your excitement about this cruise. I haven't posted before, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that it turned out the way it did, most especially for Gerry and Ken. I hope we all remain healthy and live to enjoy many cruises in the future. Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

Gerry, hope your flight back to Zurich is on schedule and uneventful.

What a whirlwind this has been for so many. We too were originally on the Splendor from San Diego to Miami but took Regent's generous "bump" offer and now on the Mariner from Vancouver to LA in September. Who know's how things will be by then ?

I'm so sorry for so many of you that have been affected with the cancellation and wishing EVERYONE safe returns back home. Stay healthy.

P.S. Gerry...I sure hope someday we're able to meet in person, not just through emails !!

Marcie

On 3/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, tnr said:

Our cruise was shortened but at least we had a cruise!

So sorry.

To All:  

Fortunately, Sue and I have on hand  necessary champagne (the latest bottle from last September's Explorer cruises in Europe) to open that bottle on March 19th--at our residence.  We now begin the "countdown" to a currently-scheduled October BtB aboard Navigator.  Let us all hope the seas will have sufficiently calmed by that time.  

Best regards--

Jim (GOARMY!) and Sue

1 hour ago, scuba diver said:

The Splendor is still here in San Diego and will be for the next 30 days.  Crew are still aboard.

IMG_5212.jpeg

If the Splendor really is going to sit in San Diego for 30 days, they will have to cancel the New York to Barcelona cruise.  Don't you think they will move it near the area in case they left the travel band?

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

If the Splendor really is going to sit in San Diego for 30 days, they will have to cancel the New York to Barcelona cruise.  Don't you think they will move it near the area in case they left the travel band?

JMHO I would think that having it in San Diego for 30 days is very telling.  Possible not going to BCN?  Perhaps another 30 days?

14 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

JMHO I would think that having it in San Diego for 30 days is very telling.  Possible not going to BCN?  Perhaps another 30 days?

Sadly I believe that the 30 days is an optimistic estimate of cruise line inactivity, even under the best case scenarios for the spread and impact of this virus. I hope that I can be proven wrong but fear that I will not be.

I would just like to say how much I empathise with all of you who were to sail on the Splendor. To have been that close to the ship must have been doubly disappointing when the cancellation was announced. I hope you all soon get the chance to sail on her.

Keep safe everybody and be kind to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

I agree with you on that--unless it moves-no cruise to Barcelona.