Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

37 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

🥰 Thank you ................ I will try to resist cynical comments about communications teams 🙄

In case Regent no longer monitors this Board, perhaps someone with friends in high places in NCLH might pass on the suggestion.

Wes, where are you? 😀

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Wow, I can't believe that some people think that if they just magically got on a Regent cruise they would be safe because there are fewer people on the ship and that Regent somehow cleans better. All it takes is one sick person, who may not even know that they are sick, to start the chain of infection. I'm sorry to be so direct but this type of logic is unbelievable to me.  

I have this image of one or two people sitting at every other table in Compass Rose, to comply with the 6-foot rule.

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I honestly can see no reason why people can't book cruises for 2021 or the first part of 2022.  By then we should have a cure and/or preventative vaccination for this virus.  While I personally am not in fear of Regent going out of business, if I were, I would book a cruise - in a lower category where the deposit is minimal.  There is now availability for some cruises that have been waitlisted for months.  Take advantage of them.

I think I have stated my reason.  I would be taking a 26-year-old grad student who in a year or two could be tied down to a career or off on an internship.  Also a 24-year-old college student, ditto.  And a 18-year-old college student, ditto.  The only reason they are cruising on Regent is because they are going with me; they would really have no reason to look at Regent on their own.  FCC would work for me, my daughter and her husband, but not for the three young people; this is quite probably the last time we can count on a family trip.

Edit to say a long-planned family trip like a cruise.  Quick USA trips are different, obviously.

Edited by Pam
add

18 hours ago, MadMarine said:

TC,  I have been patiently waiting for the cancellation of my 4/27 departure from Barcelona.  This cruise is mostly Spain and Portugal.  Does any one think that the Explorer is going to dock in Barcelona any time soon?  I’ve looked at future cruises and there are really none that duplicate the itinerary that I signed up for.  An FCC doesn’t do it for me.  A declaration on Regent’s part of cancelation will allow me to get a significant  cost back including insurance.  The sooner the better, the clock is ticking for us!

Mad

Instead of waiting for Regent, why not try this another way with your Travel insurance. Is there any info on the web from the Spanish government about when THEY will end their travel ban?

From what  I found (Below) Spain is closed until April 23, 2020. Were you planning to fly to arrive early in Barcelona? If not I would surf the web to see if I could get enough info to trigger my Travel Insurance without having to rely on Regent. Good Luck.

J

Spain

Spain will restrict entry for most foreigners at air and sea ports for the next 30 days to help stem its coronavirus epidemic, the Interior Ministry said on March 22. The ban - starting at midnight (23rd)- comes a few days after Spain imposed restrictions on its land borders with France and Portugal, after European Union leaders agreed to close the bloc's external borders for 30 days.

Spanish nationals, foreigners living in Spain, air crew, cargo and health workers and diplomats will be allowed to travel as normal, the ministry said in its statement.

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Back to cruising and Regent in particular.

Many of us agree that Regent's communications regarding their plans for future cruises, particularly those scheduled for April & May, is less than ideal. That includes communications to their booked customers & Travel Agents, on their website and on social media.

Here is a suggestion for a proactive communication that Regent could make, and update regularly, to assist customers and TAs around the world:

"Until we know that we can safely start operating each of our ships we do not intend to give a firm date for full resumption of our services. Rather we will give an update weekly on our intentions based on the best information available at the time.

This week's update:

• Sailings up to xxDATExx  are cancelled
  • New sales of suites on cruises up to xxDATExx are suspended
  • Refunds & FCCs for cancelled cruises up to xxDATExx are now being processed

Note that we will endeavour to ensure that no cruise is cancelled within 14 days of sailing to ensure that guests are given sufficient time to cancel pre-cruise arrangements and to avoid abortive travel

This is an excellent idea! @flossie009 do you mind emailing me at my address below?  Thanks.  Jennifer

In my opinion, with Regent working a 4-day workweek (except for Customer Service agents), this will not happen.  Also, in my opinion, passengers are asking too much of a company that is already overburdened.  You can write to Frank Del Rio, Jason Montague or anyone else - they are likely receiving hundreds of letters and emails from passengers and can not accommodate every request that they receive (nor should they).

IF Regent resumes cruising sometime in April (or May), itineraries will need to be changed so it doesn't matter if/when Spain will open their border to cruise ships since Regent may make the decision not to embark or disembark in Barcelona.  The cruise that we booked was already changed (from an Italian itinerary to a Greece/Turkey itinerary.)

Keep in mind that most of us are sitting here second guessing everything that Regent and other cruise lines are doing.  After all, we can't go to stores, restaurants, etc. and have too much time on our hands.   If all of us were so smart, why aren't we running a cruise line?  

Whether we agree or disagree, Regent and other cruise lines will adjust their schedules when they decide to do so.  It is much easier for us to demand information while we sit here doing nothing and another to expect Regent to jump at every request that we receive.

However, if Regent is able to accommodate the request(s), they will.  I personally would not bet on it.  All I care about is that all of us are safe as well as the crew and Corporate employees of Regent.  To me, that is the priority here.

• Like 1

With all due respect, TC, it is not unreasonable to expect a definitive cruise itinerary two weeks before departure.  I really don’t care what is happening in the home office.  WE are the paying customers.  WE have purchased a product.   If the product is not up to snuff, no matter the reason, it is the company’s responsibility to make it right.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Perhaps a better wording might be:  All of us are so smart. That is why we aren't running a cruise line.

Yeah, at least we have the money to be their customers, so some respect might not be too much to ask

13 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Perhaps a better wording might be:  All of us are so smart. That is why we aren't running a cruise line.

You are right!

forgap - Regent is making it right but perhaps it is not at the speed that some passengers wish that it would be.  It is a safe assumption that your cruise (and mine) will be cancelled.    Again, our cruise was cancelled 24 hours prior to embarkation.  However, due to a worldwide pandemic, we understood (but were disappointed).  We are certainly not angry at Regent or anyone else.  This is the time to work together rather than trying to place blame - make demands, etc.  It is fine if you disagree with me but I do have the right to my opinion.

We should be thankful that Regent is going above and beyond what they are required to do.  I'm sure that none of us would be happy if we wanted to cancel and lose all of our money (which is Regent's policy).

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Whether we agree or disagree, Regent and other cruise lines will adjust their schedules when they decide to do so.  It is much easier for us to demand information while we sit here doing nothing and another to expect Regent to jump at every request that we receive.

If that's the attitude in Regent, of keeping customers in the dark until the last minute while they maintain unrealistic itineraries leaving in a little over 2 weeks, then it really sucks to be holding one of those cruises. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

forgap - Regent is making it right but perhaps it is not at the speed that some passengers wish that it would be.  It is a safe assumption that your cruise (and mine) will be cancelled.    Again, our cruise was cancelled 24 hours prior to embarkation.  However, due to a worldwide pandemic, we understood (but were disappointed).  We are certainly not angry at Regent or anyone else.  This is the time to work together rather than trying to place blame - make demands, etc.  It is fine if you disagree with me but I do have the right to my opinion.

A LOT has happened since that day they cancel your cruise, and a lot  more is now known, by us and certainly by Regent. Cruises to the Mediterranean still on the books for mid April are not going to leave and they know it. So the drama of cancelling 24 hours prior is not only not needed, it would be a travesty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

If that's the attitude in Regent, of keeping customers in the dark until the last minute while they maintain unrealistic itineraries leaving in a little over 2 weeks, then it really sucks to be holding one of those cruises. 

Agree - it did suck that our cruise was cancelled 24 hours prior to embarkation but, under the circumstances, they did the best thing for their passengers.  As evidenced by the list that Cruise Critic compiled (and I posted yesterday), most cruise lines are waiting until they know what the world will look like in 2 weeks.  It will be two weeks ago tomorrow that our cruise was cancelled.  Unfortunately, the world looks nothing like it did on March 13th and it is likely that in two weeks things will not look the way they do today. .  So many people have died and it is still not under control.  

Now we have another cruise that is about to be cancelled.  Still not angry at anyone.  I doubt if anyone on earth wanted this pandemic to happen but it did.  No one was prepared for it.   It feels like everyone (not just on CC) are looking for someone to blame for what  going on.  When the April/May cruises are cancelled, passengers can opt for a refund or FCC's.  So, what exactly are they losing (besides peace of mind which is something that I totally "get".)

In any case, staying safe and healthy is the most important thing.  If we catch the virus and die, none of this will make any difference.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

No, that's not so bad. Try flying 30 hours to Bali to get on a ship only to be told that because you flew through HK (booked by Regent Air) that you can't get on the ship. More importantly, Regent DID THE RIGHT THING and took excellent care of us!

Have a little faith people...there are a lot of people hurting in the world right now.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

I understand this is not Regents fault.  I love cruising with them.  It is not my fault either. They are offering refunds or fcc because it is the right thing to do if there is no cruise.  People are afraid for their health and rightfully so. People are dying. These are not normal times and I don’t give them credit for doing what’s right, just as I don’t give myself credit for doing what is ethically right for my customers. That is what you are supposed to do.   I am paying my employees because it is the right thing to do. I cannot do this indefinitely. When my business was open I could afford to go cruising easily. That is no longer the case.  It is now closed and every penny counts. The sooner I get a refund for something that I am not receiving the better.  Ninety days is a very long time not to receive something that is rightfully mine. Waiting to have my cruise cancelled when I know they cannot cruise and then waiting an additional ninety days is respectfully not what I consider best practices. I accept it only because I have no choice.  My money can be put to better use right now. Peace. Ron

• Like 4

I have a really hard time believing Regent always does the “ right thing”. They cancelled the cruise going out of San Diego days after they should have, and incidentally, hours before the other cruise lines shut down at the request of the President. Am I the only one that thinks this is coincidental? All cruises should have returned to port as soon as CDC and the State Department issued their advisories for citizens not to cruise. What is clear is Regent does the right thing for there bottom line. Regent is a business, not family. I am rapidly losing my taste for cruising.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Also, in my opinion, passengers are asking too much of a company that is already overburdened

Respectfully, I do not think it is asking too much of a company to regularly & proactively communicate with their customers and their TAs rather than pretending that everything will back to normal after April 11. This is not a mammoth task.

they are likely receiving hundreds of letters and emails from passengers

If NCLH/Regent gave regular information updates as per my suggestion then there would be much less need for their staff to be continually bombarded with questions from their customers & TAs. Questions that their poor staff members are unable or unwilling to answer.

IF Regent resumes cruising sometime in April (or May), itineraries will need to be changed

So it follows that Regent needs to communicate those changes immediately. However I cannot envisage any itinerary that passengers and crew could practically or safely join anywhere in the world in the coming weeks.

Regent and other cruise lines will adjust their schedules when they decide to do so

It would be good for NCLH/Regent to show some respect for their customers, who have thousands of $/£/€ invested in cruises scheduled for April & May.

I am not saying that NCLH/Regent can predict how the pandemic will develop over the coming weeks & months. That is why I suggested they communicate on a regular rolling basis.

Properly updating their customers would increase goodwill towards the company, whereas at the moment many of us are losing faith.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just received a personalised email from Celebrity, we were supposed to be on Celebrity Flora in January but pushed it out for a year for non CV reasons:

“ I hope you are well and adapting to the new normal as we fight to flatten the curve of COVID19. For those in the business of HealthCare, Thank You for all that you have done and Thank You for all you will do in the coming weeks, and I want to extend the same sentiment to the many of you on the front-lines during these difficult times.

We recently made some changes to upcoming cruises that I felt were important for me to share with you personally.

• First, Celebrity Cruises has now extended our suspension of sailing until 12 May 2020.

• In addition, due to port closures, we have suspended Alaska sailings until 1 July 2020.

• Thirdly, Canada / New England sailings departing 19 May, 28 May and 16 June on Celebrity Summit have been modified. As such, we have also cancelled our upcoming “Loyalty Reunion Cruise” events and “Celebrate with the CEO” events. This is particularly disappointing as we all look forward to these two very special occasions. We are working on rescheduling them and will announce new dates as soon as we have them finalised.

As always, for the latest news on travel alerts and impacted cruises, please visit celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

It seems that it can be done, well ahead of 2 weeks out!

• Like 1

I don't see why there should be any judgement by anyone concerning why people want the $$ back, now, that they are entitled to. There is no kindly Mr. Regent or Mr. Carnival who is worried about you and yours other than how it will play into their bottom line. For all we know, perhaps some of the more affluent people who are able to may be interested in using some of these large deposits  to forward to emergency relief efforts of some sort and that wouldn't surprise me. There is no reason why it is anyone's business why people are eager for their cash back nor should they feel that  they have to justify the reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

Travelcat, which cruise are you on that is Turkey and Greece now?  And where did you see the new itinerary. 

The itinerary is (or was as of yesterday) on the Regent website (Splendor - May 12th).  I heard from our TA yesterday afternoon that the cruise, as expected, will soon be cancelled.

In terms of Regent's communication, for the last 16 years, passengers have said the same thing about their communication.  It makes me wonder why people that feel this way still sail on Regent (likely because it is the best luxury cruise line out there).  Regent has been communicating to the best of their ability during these uncertain times.  If they lose customers, it will likely be because people are not ready to resume cruising - not because Regent was perceived as having slow communication.

Someone mentioned the March 14th cruise.  I realize that not everyone is in the same time zone as we are but this is how it played out for us...... March 13th (a.m.) rumors out of the U.K. that President Trump will stop cruises from sailing.  Same day - noon - watched the President's speech (no mention of cruises).  Within a hour of the conclusion of the speech, Regent's cancellation email arrived.  I believe they were the first of the luxury cruise lines to come out with the announcement.  Regent obviously did not know very far in advance that this was going to happen.  Just 48 hours earlier they offered us an upsell on that cruise - something that they would not have done if they were aware of the upcoming changes.  

Actually, pcardad's experience is a perfect example of how quickly things change.  When Regent booked flights to Bali, it was perfectly fine to transit through Hong Kong.  Perhaps he will respond here but it sounds as if things changed the day that he flew.  By the time they arrived in Bali, they could not board the ship because he had been at the airport in Hong Kong.  Many of you will remember his story.  He definitely turned lemons into lemonade and I admired how he reacted to a bad situation.  

I would not call Regent right now - out of respect as well as giving them time to work on refunds, FCC's, cancellations that are still occurring and those that will occur.  Our TA keeps us up to date as much as they can.  TA's are being paid a good sum of money (aka commission) to answer passenger questions and to forward communications to them.   My point here is that perhaps your TA should come out with weekly communications to their customers.  Every single TA that sells Regent cruises should be communicating with their customers.  

Bottom line:  Those of you waiting to learn when the April/May cruises will be cancelled, be assured that when it happens (and it should happen soon) that you will have the option of a refund (in the U.S. - cannot speak to about other countries).  Those of us that have FCC's from cancelled cruises decided that we prefer that to a refund (due to the 25% incentive).  

P.S.  As a reminder of how Regent is going above and beyond for their passengers, remember.....

if you cancel your cruise under normal circumstances, you are penalized (up to 100% when the cruise is within a couple of months).  If you cancel now, you get 100% FCC.  If Regent cancels, they are obliged to refund your cruise fare but are not required to offer a 125% FCC as an option.  

Edited by Travelcat2