P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

We are thinking of booking a cottage in Sheringham in the summer so would be grateful for any recommendations of good restaurants etc

I'm about 3 years out of date on pubs/restaurants in North Norfolk, Ann, but my late husband and I used to go to the Dun Cow at Salthouse and The Bell at Wiveton, and both were excellent; as others have said, the Blakeney Hotel is lovely.

If you decide to pop down to the Broads during your stay, The Recruiting Sergeant at Horstead (about 30-40 minute's drive) takes a lot of beating, as does the Black Boys at Aylsham. And, away from food, the Sheringham Railway is worth a trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Thank you for all your recommendations where to eat out.We intend to use Sheringham as a base to explore the wider Norfolk coast and countryside.

You will enjoy it Ann it is a lovely coast line. I'm not able to do much at the moment but have done it extensively in the past. I think I studied for multiple Open University exams everywhere along this coast back in the 70s/80s/90s. In fact when I did my "speech" when I got the PhD I specifically thanked my family (emotional support) and North Norfolk (providing a quiet place away from my family). When Brother and other friends come they all do major walks and explorations.

One place I am going to explore this year is Norwich. I think I have visited a shopping estate or 2 maybe twice but I have not really seen or explored the city which I understand is well worth a look. Plus the lady in the Coop tells me (not sure she was saying this was a good thing??) that there is a coffee shop everywhere. Well that suits me especially if they have a loo, I am after all a lady of a certain age. 

Emma

5 minutes ago, ccpm said:

You will enjoy it Ann it is a lovely coast line. I'm not able to do much at the moment but have done it extensively in the past. I think I studied for multiple Open University exams everywhere along this coast back in the 70s/80s/90s. In fact when I did my "speech" when I got the PhD I specifically thanked my family (emotional support) and North Norfolk (providing a quiet place away from my family). When Brother and other friends come they all do major walks and explorations.

One place I am going to explore this year is Norwich. I think I have visited a shopping estate or 2 maybe twice but I have not really seen or explored the city which I understand is well worth a look. Plus the lady in the Coop tells me (not sure she was saying this was a good thing??) that there is a coffee shop everywhere. Well that suits me especially if they have a loo, I am after all a lady of a certain age. 

Emma

Thank you.We spent a weekend in Norwich about 10 years ago in March and had a trip to Wells next the sea where it was snowing! We particularly want to visit blakeney nature reserve.We are also hoping to have a few days exploring parts of Suffolk, particularly Aldeburgh.Even though I grew up in Essex we didn't often venture into Norfolk and Suffolk!

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

New church wardens for the church probably didn't check the date 2021 before printing.

Audrey our previous church warden for 17 years would have checked.

Easily done with Word documents of programmes/events from previous years. Change the date but forget the year. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

New church wardens for the church probably didn't check the date 2021 before printing.

Audrey our previous church warden for 17 years would have checked.

If you enjoyed the service then that is all that matters, little IT clinches can be ignored. God bless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If you enjoyed the service then that is all that matters, little IT clinches can be ignored. God bless.

Of course, it doesn’t matter one bit in this instance. It’s just one of those things that I can’t help noticing! 

I deal with reams and reams of official government and council documents on a daily basis, and it’s noticeable how often this happens nowadays. Often nobody bothers to check that documents actually make sense to the end user and that dates, deadlines etc. are accurate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Emma

It's well worth exploring, Emma, in spite of some brutalist 60s and 70s architecture - allegedly a church for every week of the year and a pub for every day, though I doubt that still stands. Plus, if you like shopping, an excellent independent department store (Jarrold's), along with John Lewis (easy to miss as it's out on a limb) and HOF. As the lady in the Co-op said, coffee shops everywhere and an excellent library if you're short of reading matter in Holt.

Actually, so well worth exploring is it that I live 3 miles away and have been into the City precisely once since March 2020.😂 In mitigation, I explored it very thoroughly when the children were growing up.

• Like 1

Hello fellow cruisers, finally joined the club after lurking for a while. We went shopping in Norwich yesterday, nice easy centre to get around, park and ride from Thickthorn ( £5.50 for the 2 of us) only a 5min journey.  Not been to the castle yet but hear it is well worth a visit. 

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Hello fellow cruisers, finally joined the club after lurking for a while. We went shopping in Norwich yesterday, nice easy centre to get around, park and ride from Thickthorn ( £5.50 for the 2 of us) only a 5min journey.  Not been to the castle yet but hear it is well worth a visit. 

Hope you have as much fun posting as you did lurking :classic_wink: Welcome :classic_smile:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Welcome. Lovely to welcome in all and any lurkers to the fold.

The more the merrier.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It's well worth exploring, Emma, in spite of some brutalist 60s and 70s architecture - allegedly a church for every week of the year and a pub for every day, though I doubt that still stands. Plus, if you like shopping, an excellent independent department store (Jarrold's), along with John Lewis (easy to miss as it's out on a limb) and HOF. As the lady in the Co-op said, coffee shops everywhere and an excellent library if you're short of reading matter in Holt.

Actually, so well worth exploring is it that I live 3 miles away and have been into the City precisely once since March 2020.😂 In mitigation, I explored it very thoroughly when the children were growing up.

Absolutely, Annie. A beautiful city. And I say that as a Tractor Boy!

And that really good outdoor market still, I hope?  With a stall selling proper chips?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

1°C cloudy and rain forecast soon.

We had a nice church service this morning which was well attended.

Stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

IMG_20220109_112254.jpg

We had a nice service today too but Mr Presto2 and I sat right at the back with masks on rather than risk passing anything on. We work in a school as you know and even though our LFTs were negative we prefer to keep everyone as safe as we can. Will be glad when we can get back to normal now - fed up of it all

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Hello Chippy - Welcome aboard!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely, Annie. A beautiful city. And I say that as a Tractor Boy!

And that really good outdoor market still, I hope?  With a stall selling proper chips?

A noble gesture from a Tractor Boy!

Last time I went the stall selling proper chips was still there, though that's a while ago when I last used the library.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

Well we are in shock - our solar lights on the shrubs in the back garden have all decided to make an appearance tonight for the first time in months. This must mean that the sun has been out more today to charge them up ! Shock !

Just to share something nice below. We closed our caravan down last week and the weather was beautiful. We took this photo as we were about to leave. Nothing like a blue sky and a beautiful rainbow to bring a sense of hope moving forward.

20220103_143816.jpg

• Like 9