P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

Pleased you managed to reschedule your cruise. It will remove the worry that may have built up in the run up to the May cruise dependent on the progress or regress of Covid. I am not surprised the lady at P&O was soo good because that has always been my experience when dealing with them.

Costa del Llanddulas in May half term sounds great but work wise it will be very busy for me. There should be a ‘‘window’ the first weekend of half term so first round is on me. February half term falls just before my birthday so perhaps we could practice for May then, provided I order warm sunshine in advance. 🙂

If anybody else wants to spent some of their kid’s inheritance on a static caravan in North Wales, you could always come and join us and continue the P&O takeover of the site.

No kids so no inheritances to consider.  The way I feel today I could be easily persuaded.  I really need to get away from the idiots that I have been subjected to today at the vaccine hub.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We all handle winter differently. Prior to covid, we had a cruise,

37 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We do handle them differently, 

Same here and for years we have always tried a New Year cruise or a week or so out in Lanzarote and same again going into February. Due to health with covid around it has been a no go but with me being already retired and my very first state pension payment in the next few weeks, we too can hopefully look forward to longer cruises or more time chilling out in Lanzarote .

Until then I will hibernate until the virus deteriorates to much safer levels that we can all feel safe with .:classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 8

Before Covid we always had a 4 / 5 day break in Blackpool for the lights staying at The Imperial and then in February we had a snow holiday for half term - usually in a log cabin in Lapland. Beautiful. Our last overseas break was Yllas, Lapland in Feb 2020.

This year we have a lodge booked in the Lake District which was a transfer from a holiday in May 2020 --- if it snows we get snowed in 🙂 🙂 🙂 October we spent by the sea in Wales and had a great time.

Looking ahead we think that Covid has reminded us to appreciate what we have and what is close to home in terms of holidays. I think we appreciate our holidays more and will definitely appreciate any holidays abroad far more.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Same here and for years we have always tried a New Year cruise or a week or so out in Lanzarote and same again going into February. Due to health with covid around it has been a no go but with me being already retired and my very first state pension payment in the next few weeks, we too can hopefully look forward to longer cruises or more time chilling out in Lanzarote .

Until then I will hibernate until the virus deteriorates to much safer levels that we can all feel safe with .:classic_smile:

My very first state pension is also paid in the next few weeks. I just hope there is enough to go round, I wouldn’t like you to go short. 🤔

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

To hire they do have 2 vans I know are right on the front opposite the sea with direct views. If you were interested you could give them a ring. The caravans on the front are  numbers A2 / A3 (we think) and there may be another one A18. Pete may know as he 'looks down' on us all 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

From my lofty perch, I think you are right.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We do handle them differently, winters didn't used to bother me but they do now, we usually do a long Caribbean cruise between Nov -Feb. This year we are hoping to hire an apartment in Lanzarote for a month in Feb with the premise that if we enjoy we will extend to 6-8 weeks next winter.

We alternated between a month in Lanza in November, or February in Sarasota, both holidays in villas with pools.

Cost of the villas was about the same,  flights to the US obviously more expensive (PE or Club), but since Covid we have been wary of independent holidays. Just too many hoops to climb through. 

But, November this year is free on our calendar,  so four weeks in Playa  Blanca is looking good. Not booking yet though !  

• Like 2

Morning hope everyone's having a good Sunday morning :classic_smile:

It's a bright sunny morning with a bit of passing cloud 3.c with -1.c chill 

but if you step out it does feel a lot cooler and you soon shut the house door 

once back inside . This sort of weather takes me back to my childhood where

my Mam wanted that door shut asap in cold weather . I can still recall her words

"Kalos ..Shut the door ! was you born in a barn ?":classic_unsure:

I found this an odd thing for her to say as you would have thought she more than

anyone  would have remembered that ,wouldn't you ? :classic_unsure:

Have a good day stay safe and if out and about wrap up well .:classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning hope everyone's having a good Sunday morning :classic_smile:

It's a bright sunny morning with a bit of passing cloud 3.c with -1.c chill 

but if you step out it does feel a lot cooler and you soon shut the house door 

once back inside . This sort of weather takes me back to my childhood where

my Mam wanted that door shut asap in cold weather . I can still recall her words

I found this an odd thing for her to say as you would have thought she more than

anyone  would have remembered that ,wouldn't you ? :classic_unsure:

Have a good day stay safe and if out and about wrap up well .:classic_love::classic_smile:

Similar weather here Kalos, I have just nicely washed the car and am now just getting some feeling into my fingers and toes, reminds me of that wet wet wet song, Marti must have had a bit of Arthritis too.

Was there a big star over the barn you were born in and a trio of old geezers knocking about with prezzies?

My mam used to say "put wood in t'oil" when we left doors open.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

THERE IS SUN IN HOLT!!!!!!!! Yes there is. After considering buying a boat yesterday with non stop torrential rain the girls and I awoke to sun. They have scampered right out into the garden instead of cowering under their awning for 30 secs and then straight back in. I thought to take their mind off the boy being missing I would cook us a roast chicken but apparently a chicken famine has struck the shop. So off to Sheringham where they will get a walk and then get hidden in their carrier in the boot so they don't get dognapped while I dash into Tescos who hopefully don't have the chicken famine. Simon Hopkisson recipe book for the ultimate roast chicken recipe jobs a good un.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Frank was kalos. He was born in a Barn(sley) hospital😁

Avril

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My mam used to say "put wood in t'oil" when we left doors open.

I say that Phil, but my effort at a Yorkshire accent has Frank shaking his head in despair. I say  'put wood int'ole' Not quite the same somehow is it?🥴

Avril

• Haha 3

What a contrast from yesterday.  It’s really quite a nice day for January - sun, little wind, pretty mild.  We’ve stepped our 10k steps, so can now enjoy relaxing this afternoon.

No news or opinions here.  My parents used ‘wood in the hole’ too, plus “you’d make a better door than a window” if you stood blocking someone’s light.

Have some ‘Nice weather; things aren’t so bad’ pics

C32DF2AD-5DF5-4D71-B521-85FD2D086BAD.thumb.jpeg.e2d0a9abd0715ac0e0b37caaf19efefc.jpeg

A3AE8B0F-24E1-4D97-92D3-89C7E7EF7DA4.thumb.jpeg.8e975b1bb0a620ace7393324d10c07bb.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

THERE IS SUN IN HOLT!!!!!!!! Yes there is. After considering buying a boat yesterday with non stop torrential rain the girls and I awoke to sun. They have scampered right out into the garden instead of cowering under their awning for 30 secs and then straight back in. I thought to take their mind off the boy being missing I would cook us a roast chicken but apparently a chicken famine has struck the shop. So off to Sheringham where they will get a walk and then get hidden in their carrier in the boot so they don't get dognapped while I dash into Tescos who hopefully don't have the chicken famine. Simon Hopkisson recipe book for the ultimate roast chicken recipe jobs a good un.

We are thinking of booking a cottage in Sheringham in the summer so would be grateful for any recommendations of good restaurants etc

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank was kalos. He was born in a Barn(sley) hospital😁

Avril

I say that Phil, but my effort at a Yorkshire accent has Frank shaking his head in despair. I say  'put wood int'ole' Not quite the same somehow is it?🥴

Avril

https://images.app.goo.gl/d1iZJ2MziUx8znss5

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

We are thinking of booking a cottage in Sheringham in the summer so would be grateful for any recommendations of good restaurants etc

We enjoyed both of these, Ann.  Quite different, but both do good food, with excellent service and pleasant surroundings.

The first usually needs booking some time in advance.

https://www.morstonhall.com/

https://www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk/

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Honestly Ann despite being a great holiday destination gourmet land this is not. Sheringham is not far from me I visit often but it is not, nor is it trying to be a boutique upmarket venue. For instance I will often have a crab something or other from the crab shack which is on the way to the beach. If I want to eat out then I usually use The Crown or Globe at Wells, any of the 3-4 hotels in Holt (these are good but not going to win any awards soon but I can walk to them always a plus). Then there is the Queen Victoria at Holkham as I love the beach there. Our only Michelin starred place is Morston Hall. Now I do go there quite often as my Brother loves it and ace he usually pays, that makes me sound a right meanie but it is £115 for the dinner taster menu. Yes it is wonderful and yes of course I pay occasionally. There are many other pubs and when my brother is here we try a few but none I would say you must see. However this pub is my key recommend its about 35 mins from me so closer to Sheringham and that is the Kings Head at Bawburgh. If you have instagram they have a page but I also follow Hastes kitchen and he regularly recommends them. They and their food are brilliant and they have a great table for me on my lonesome, part of the restaurant but tucked away so I don't look like BillynoMates. 

I truly wish I had more to recommend but I moved here in 2019 and was a year doing my house up by which time Covid had hit. I eat out a lot but may not have found that many new gems to recommend. Most places I use come from years of holidaying here or they are in the town or  someone else likes them (these are very few)

Hopefully you will have a great holiday.

Emma

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We enjoyed both of these, Ann.  Quite different, but both do good food, with excellent service and pleasant surroundings.

The first usually needs booking some time in advance.

https://www.morstonhall.com/

https://www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk/

Ah Ah thank you Harry I posted then remembered I forgot this one. Its very good. I also use the Blakeney Hotel for no foodie reasons but I like to read my book in the carpark after walking the dogs. They have toilets I am too polite just to use the toilets so usually have a very ordinary lunch there but perfectly fine food, just won't win any awards. Note to say yes there are public toilets on the car park but access has been spasmodic during covid.

Edited by ccpm