P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Another wet and windy day down here and getting that dark that I'll be turning the lights on again soon as I can't even see my keyboard!! 

Had a Tesco order delivered this morning that I thought I had cancelled🙄 so sent all the prerishable stuff back as we are away at the end of next week. At least it saved my going out in this weather to get bread.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Pam 

• Like 1

Morning everyone, hope you are all safe and well. 
I haven’t posted much this week as we have been having kitchen done. They should finish today but they say they won’t be finished and are coming back Monday. We are really pleased with it though, better than we imagined. We have been having some work tops lowered as I can’t stand any longer to prepare food/bake etc so that’s going to be a massive help to me.

Both of our dogs have had a sickness bug this week as well so are now on chicken and rice for a few days.

Avril’s dumpling recipe looks interesting, I have written it down to try.

Hope you all have a nice day 

Michelle

• Like 4

Just gone 10am, sun out dogs been out all is well with the world. Plus I have a beef something in the slow cooker so that i can make those recommended dumplings. All is currently right with Holt.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Q: How many group members does it take to change a light bulb?
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.
Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.
22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being jerks.
5 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.
49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)
19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.
11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.
24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs
44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.
12 to post F.
8 to ask what F means.
7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.
15 to say "can't share"
2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"
36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.
15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.
6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"
4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".
13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".
5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.
1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.
20 to give up on cc and take their dogs for a walk instead.*****
And then somebody announces they are leaving the group over the light bulb post, and someone replies back that this isn't an airport so you don't need to announce your departure.

And 1 member who is a fopdoodle, that is bored out of his mind and has totally lost it😂

Or 3 sheets to the wind🥴

Avril

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2020 at 10:12 PM, Harry Peterson said:

And that's one of the key problems.  Those advised not to go out for health/age reasons have no real option but to shop online, but it's almost impossible to get a slot,  and if you do chances are half the stuff won't turn up because the shelves were stripped before the pickers got to them.

One solution would be to give priority to those who really have no other option, but that would involve quite an outcry from the ones pushed to the bottom of the queue. 

We have been lucky Harry not much has been missing up to yet and same as you we are 

dependant on regular deliveries . We have a standing order to pay for the delivery slots and 

have had the same time slot for over two years now . Talking to Mrs K she informed me that

when we rebook their is a little green van sat in the slot as if to say "here's your usual slot":classic_love:

So I would say the supermarket try to make sure we do get our regular slot.:classic_smile:

• Like 3

I have a weekly Tesco delivery and they are very reliable over the last couple of years. Apparently they have a large wharehouse/picking centre near Maidstone that handles the online orders so regular customers don't get to strip the shelves like they do in the local Sainsbury's

Cancelled next Fridays car to Southampton with no problem and Premier Inn moved my room booking to the date of my next 'cruise' in May to Norway. Still to try it with the insurance company.

Day 17 of the mega cold and still coughing  so I reckon even if I had not cancelled the cruise there was a good chance that I would have failed the health screening. This mornings LFT still negative.

Must try these dumplings, where do you buy Self flying flour and how much water do you put in? I like mine crunchy on top

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

We have been lucky Harry not much has been missing up to yet and same as you we are 

dependant on regular deliveries . We have a standing order to pay for the delivery slots and 

have had the same time slot for over two years now . Talking to Mrs K she informed me that

when we rebook their is a little green van sat in the slot as if to say "here's your usual slot":classic_love:

So I would say the supermarket try to make sure we do get our regular slot.:classic_smile:

Goodness, Kalos, that's an old post you're quoting!  Seems an age ago.  Not long after that they brought in the priority slots for the clinically extremely vulnerable advised not to go into shops, and the situation improved.

Tesco have been pretty good throughout, and we still use them every week, with occasional Waitrose topups.  Sainsbury's weren't as reliable as Tesco, we found, but it probably varies from place to place.  Still haven't been inside any shops at all since 17 March 2020 (three days before that post) and I'm missing three shops in particular - Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose.  Those first two are around 30% cheaper for pretty much exactly the same products (though the last one's 50% more!).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

If its Sainsbugs then I think the green van refers to one where other deliveries are being made in your area, hence a greener delivery.

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

No.  Nothing pops up here.  Using Safari on my iPad and/or iPhone 

There are static banner ads at the top of the page and, iirc, little ads down the RH side, atop the members’ pics

I don't get any pop ups. Perhaps I should feel neglected.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't get any pop ups. Perhaps I should feel neglected.

I use my phone and so dont have anything down the side, that format only seems to happen on lap or desk tops. All the ads seem to be on the bottom of the page, so it's easy to avoid them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If its Sainsbugs then I think the green van refers to one where other deliveries are being made in your area, hence a greener delivery.

Nope it's all the morereasons that we book with them .Just noted the date of Harrys post 

goodness knows why or how cc put that as a latest post on my PC :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Aurora certainly needs an exterior paint job if not more internally. We were docked at Ocean Terminal in November and she went past and she certainly looked very shabby and the worst for wear. TBH she was our first cruise with P&O in 2000 and even though we havent been on her for a number of years we have soft spot for the great cruises we have had on her and it was sad to see her in that condition.

• Like 4

We saw the new carrier Prince of Wales sail out of Portsmouth for sea trials last year.She looked as rusty as the old Woolwich ferry in some areas.A few tins of B&Q marine gloss will sort it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

And 1 member who is a fopdoodle, that is bored out of his mind and has totally lost it😂

Or 3 sheets to the wind🥴

Avril

Unfortunately Avril I have neither the intelligence or the wit to have written it sober,  let alone after a glass or three!

A total cut and paste job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In a different world we would have been on our way to Southampton to join Arcadia’s 55 night cruise to the Amazon and the Caribbean. A very nice day for a run down to Southampton.

…and we’d be in Madeira en route to the Caribbean on Ventura’s 35 nighter.
Hey ho

I hope all is well on the good ship Ventura.  Has anyone seen any postings anywhere from current passengers?  I’d be interested to know how many are on board

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Aurora certainly needs an exterior paint job if not more internally. We were docked at Ocean Terminal in November and she went past and she certainly looked very shabby and the worst for wear. TBH she was our first cruise with P&O in 2000 and even though we havent been on her for a number of years we have soft spot for the great cruises we have had on her and it was sad to see her in that condition.

Not surprising that she looks the worse for wear, being stuck off the south coast of dear old blighty for so long. I'm sure she will look all spick and span when she resumes cruising.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I have a mid week saver booking with Tesco. Apart from at the very beginning when folks panicked I usually get the same slot each week but I ensure I book 4 weeks in advance. The past 3 weeks I have had very few substitutions whereas previously you never knew what would turn up. I do try to get out and buy in local independent stores but some days I can walk OK and breathe all right (osteo-arthritis and mild to moderate heart failure) others I can't so I took the decision to use on line shopping. Plus you cannot park here between May and September so no taking the car down to the centre is possible. Sometimes I get a Waitrose order from North Walsham to add in things I like. Although it hasn't been too bad it has made me feel very vulnerable at times you know what if etc.