P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

47 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Just popped to sainsburys to get dried fruit as dh was disappointed when I said I wasn’t making* a Xmas cake, no raisins so I’ll just got mixed bags cheaper hopefully ok. I’ll mix cranberries in thanks to Avril for that idea, got enough to make mincemeat but forgot the suet. There’s loads of twitchers at the end of our road parked all over the place including a mini bus, looking for the blackburnian warbler apparently, I think it was spotted on the Scillies yesterday? Hope a cat doesn’t get it 😂

There were a lot of bird watchers on the causeway near Hayle the other day. Don't know what they were looking at all I could see as I drove past were geese and seagulls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

Just popped to sainsburys to get dried fruit as dh was disappointed when I said I wasn’t making* a Xmas cake, no raisins so I’ll just got mixed bags cheaper hopefully ok. I’ll mix cranberries in thanks to Avril for that idea, got enough to make mincemeat but forgot the suet. There’s loads of twitchers at the end of our road parked all over the place including a mini bus, looking for the blackburnian warbler apparently, I think it was spotted on the Scillies yesterday? Hope a cat doesn’t get it 😂

That's too far South for those blue and white characters.They frequent the banks of the Darwen oop North.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, purplesea said:

There were a lot of bird watchers on the causeway near Hayle the other day. Don't know what they were looking at all I could see as I drove past were geese and seagulls.

Could well have been the very rare North American Red Eyed Vireo which was spotted there today... again a life-time siting for many people who get excited about these things. Only about 100 have ever been spotted in the UK. Again probably brought over by the weather systems over the North Atlantic. Very unlikely to survive a European winter.

Just to add... we usually spend our time looking for much bigger creatures with fins popping out of the waves... just see what the dreaded C has done!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Could well have been the very rare North American Red Eyed Vireo which was spotted there today... again a life-time siting for many people who get excited about these things. Only about 100 have ever been spotted in the UK. Again probably brought over by the weather systems over the North Atlantic. Very unlikely to survive a European winter.

Just to add... we usually spend our time looking for much bigger creatures with fins popping out of the waves... just see what the dreaded C has done!

Do you mean that 100 have been spotted or one has been spotted 100 times?

Goodness, my daughter is 50 today!!!!   Where did that time go.

We were talking about time changes the other day...  We don't mention it much but I had to lay in bed in Queen Marys, Sidcup, for 7 months (28 and a half weeks) but got her in the end!.   No way would that be the treatment nowadays, but there were a gang of long stayers and we laughed our heads off most of the time.  
Sounds strange but happy memories!  🤣

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

The last time we were on Oceana they were playing bizzare music at breakfast --- am pretty sure Those in Peril on the Sea featured and other hymns ... 

Our very first nervous step into cruising was on Arcadia, and one of the talks was about the sinking of the Titanic.😲

We avoided it😬

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, brian1 said:

That's too far South for those blue and white characters.They frequent the banks of the Darwen oop North.

Am I the only one who got this joke, or is the joke on me and there really is a blue and white bird warbling away on the banks of the river Darwen in Blackburn?🤔

Sis

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 2

A nice bright sunny day, after rain last night, and feels quite warm down here at present, although rain is forecast again for later.

Tesco have delivered my grocery order, subsituted the wines I ordered and no bread available🤷‍♀️

luckily I have some in the freezer.

Working later this afternoon and this evening, but not much else happening.

Have a good Sunday.

• Like 5

Your right @twotravellersLondon it was that one, I don’t think I’d have thought it anything special had he landed in the garden, I do like to see birds in the garden ( & out of course) there’s a family of buzzards that nest in the trees here, they like to chase our neighbours white doves, & the choughs are getting much more prevalent. Haven’t got the bird feeder up at the moment as we had rats. It’s looking a lovely day if a bit windy , going to have a walk in a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Our very first nervous step into cruising was on Arcadia, and one of the talks was about the sinking of the Titanic.😲

We avoided it😬

Avril

We were looking at the available films on Britannia.  We were not tempted by the Poseidon adventure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We were looking at the available films on Britannia.  We were not tempted by the Poseidon adventure.

I have to admit that there are one or two films or talks onboard that are, shall we say, 'cruise friendly'😊

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:21 PM, Ilovemygarden said:

It would be great if you could let us have your thoughts on MSC later and meantime enjoy your cruise 🛳

We have had a great cruise thanks. I would have no qualms about booking again, if there is anything specific you want to know I would be happy to oblige.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

What fun. I have my flu and C jabs on Thursday in Chatham. I have just found out that the local buses are on strike Wed, Thurs and Fri this week and the whole 5 days of next week. I use public transport 😈

It's amazing what the buses go on strike for these days ,is it really because you had both your jabs in Chatham.. shocking 😉 The taxi drivers will be happy though :classic_unsure:

Never mind to cheer you up ... 

A man sitting next to me on the bus today showed me a picture of his wife.

He says to me "Isn't she beautiful"?
I replied to him "If you think she's pretty, you should see my wife"

He then asked "Oh, is your wife beautiful too"?, to which I replied "No, she's an optician ".☺️☺️

Take care and have a good day .

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

On 10/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, SarahHben said:

I am now on antibiotics for suspected chest infection and if I'm still coughing in 2 weeks time the doctor said he'll send me for a chest Xray, he was very thorough. The nurse called me in for a flu jab while I was there too.

Our little lad is no respecter of doctors order to rest 🤣 I'm glad it's the weekend.

Hubbie & I have our Covid boosters booked for the week after next too.

You sound just like I was. Had the dreaded you know what in May, still coughing weeks after. Two lots of antibiotics antibiotics and steroids later I was better. Then a couple of weeks ago I started coughing again, for three weeks until they decided it was a chest infection. Two lots of antibiotics again I would say I am 90% better now. 

Hope you are better soon, take care

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone, hope you are all well today.

It’s a lovely day here today, I have been out sweeping up the leaves that have started falling.

Dog walking before lunchtime, then gym then booster jab later this afternoon.

Hope everyone who had been preparing for their cruise have a lovely time.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 6

Another bright sunny day again, after another night of rain and again pleasantly warm.  

Ended up working later than planned last night as a staff member short, luckily it was a quiet evening as I was on my own.

My watch decided to run out of battery yesterday too, so have taken a trip into Penzance to get a new one and bread that Tesco's didn't deliver yesterday. Back home now and have made a cake and have another batch of pear chutney on the go. Also have a glut of apples, but can't decide if I should freeze them or make them into chutney too.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 11:08 AM, Caullkhead said:

Your right @twotravellersLondon it was that one, I don’t think I’d have thought it anything special had he landed in the garden, I do like to see birds in the garden ( & out of course) there’s a family of buzzards that nest in the trees here, they like to chase our neighbours white doves, & the choughs are getting much more prevalent. Haven’t got the bird feeder up at the moment as we had rats. It’s looking a lovely day if a bit windy , going to have a walk in a bit. 

We had rats climbing our feeder, one particular daring rat use to climb up a shrub and leap from branch on to feeder, caught both the climbers & leaping rat on my trail cam. Solved problem by installing a squirrel baffle below feeder and cut off the branch. Neighbour dealt with rats which had nested at the back of his wood store. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have had a great cruise thanks. I would have no qualms about booking again, if there is anything specific you want to know I would be happy to oblige.

Thanks for replying - glad you had a good time.  I know you were on one of MSCs newer ships - it is the Musica I’m looking at out of Athens next year and have been a bit concerned re reports about the food not being great.  How did you find that?  

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

What fun. I have my flu and C jabs on Thursday in Chatham. I have just found out that the local buses are on strike Wed, Thurs and Fri this week and the whole 5 days of next week. I use public transport 😈

Apologies, being retired 16 years has rotted my brain. I will just do what I did 16 years ago, walk down to the station and catch the train, 6 trains per hour and £4.60 return to Chatham. I did a recce this morning, 35 minutes to walk to the station and 10 minutes on the train. Not looking forward to the walk home though as it is uphill all the way.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

You sound just like I was. Had the dreaded you know what in May, still coughing weeks after. Two lots of antibiotics antibiotics and steroids later I was better. Then a couple of weeks ago I started coughing again, for three weeks until they decided it was a chest infection. Two lots of antibiotics again I would say I am 90% better now. 

Hope you are better soon, take care

Michelle

Thank you. I’m not sure the antibiotics are doing much so far. I really don’t want to cough all through the wedding we’re going to on Saturday. 

The wedding is in Abingdon, just outside of Oxford and we haven’t been to Oxford before so we’re planning on having a wander round on Sunday before heading home. My husband is one of two best men so we’re traveling up on Friday morning so he can go to the rehearsal.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

Apologies, being retired 16 years has rotted my brain. I will just do what I did 16 years ago, walk down to the station and catch the train, 6 trains per hour and £4.60 return to Chatham. I did a recce this morning, 35 minutes to walk to the station and 10 minutes on the train. Not looking forward to the walk home though as it is uphill all the way.

Oh that’s not a nice walk back 😳 if I drove I’d offer you a lift, sadly I don’t.

• Like 1