P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Cold and frosty down here.

I'm all packed and ready now, just waiting for our taxi to come and collect us and then we are off to the airport.

Have a good week and catch up with you all later.

Pam 

Have a lovely holiday Pam , I’m not sure where you’re going but I’m sure you’re have sunshine and fun 🤩 enjoy, rest, & play 🥂🍾

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi Brian, nothing to do with allotments but help needed re Italy in April over Easter.

We are off to Sorrento for a week over the Easter break and though we have been a number of times in August have no idea what to expect at all in terms of weather, what to wear, what Easter Sunday will be like. We are planning to avoid anything on the Amalfi Coast over the weekend etc but not sure what to expect in the hotels in terms of dress code that time of the year. We are normally in nice Summer wear ! Help (Staying at a nice 4 star hotel --- Grand Hotel de La Ville) .

Hi P2 again,we are 250 miles SE of Sorrento but still in the Med so weather is similar all around that region.Up until June when it gets dry and hot,it is unpredictable.It will be warm even hot but you may get rain which can be heavy even stormy.The last few years it IMO has got dryer earlier in the year probably due to that global warming thing.I always remember about 10 years ago sunbathing in our back garden on New Years Day when a bunch of locals walking past dressed in coats and scarves stopped and stared thru our neighbours fence at us in our cossies.Sorrento is International touristy most of the year,Calabria is Northern Italian touristy mainly for 4 weeks in August.Easter Sunday  there is like a ghost town other than the churches being full.Our only experience of a religious touristy place at Easter was Krakow.Everywhere was closed on Sunday but our hotel (4 star Sheriton) had an all day AI buffet/carvery and drinks, it was a party for us,lol.Your hotel will wine and dine you at least.Anywhere else open will be a bonus.We will be in Calabria at the same time,keep us posted of your experience if possible,cheers,Brian.PS,don't think there will be a dress code as such but smart casual should suffice,if there is a silver service dinner perhaps a jacket for the men,JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning all - anyone manage to see the Northern Lights last night?  Quite a show for Scotland, but visible as far south as Cornwall!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/feb/27/northern-lights-dazzle-across-scotland-ireland-and-south-through-england

More to come this week, apparently.

Will keep an eye out but we are a bit too far south probably. Am on Aurora in two weeks time but weather forecast does not look good. Probably be snowing like last time I did it in 2019!

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning all - anyone manage to see the Northern Lights last night?  Quite a show for Scotland, but visible as far south as Cornwall!

_DSC5197.thumb.jpeg.a1340dc44e99d8a4e03bc506332e6492.jpeg

Hints over London... nothing spectacular but we're in Norway over the next couple of weeks ... so will look forward the the possibility.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Cold and frosty down here.

I'm all packed and ready now, just waiting for our taxi to come and collect us and then we are off to the airport.

Have a good week and catch up with you all later.

Pam 

Best wishes for an amazing holiday Pam.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

I hope today ends better than yesterday. My aged hands did not tighten enough the end stop on the mains feed pipe to my shower. I was going to move the pipework from the loft. Like many my main stop valve is solid and any way to change it would mean demolishing part of the kitchen units and worktop. No problem, you can turn the water off from the meter outside. I fit the compression end stop and turn the water on again. What is that roaring noise, PANIC. The end stop blew right off the pipe and a LOT of water soaked the landing carpet and poured down the stairs, also pouring through the kitchen ceiling via my fluorescent light. Luckily the light was off. Any way the water is off again and help will arrive this afternoon. The carpet is draped over the garden wall and I will move it into the conservatory and use my de-humidifier. I have used push fit stuff before and that end stop worked just fine so I could part fill the bath for flushing the toilet.

I turned the water off again otherwise sleep would have been impossible

The shower is ancient so I will get a replacement direct from the manufacturer who have a fitting service so hopefully no cowboys

I now have a stop valve because CC changed the original to Stop **** 🙄

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Just back from a quick supermarket shop.

Almost everything was in stock including cucumbers (albeit limited to 3). The only item I couldn’t get was a swede!

Same here in Stoke, I have been to Tesco and got everything on my list and few things that I didn't have on the list.  There were no signs saying that there were limits on anything. Plenty of all types of vegetables including swedes and turnips.

I think that the TV news and newspapers are causing shortages by reporting that there are shortages so some people are panic buying.

Here is swede just for you :classic_smile:

image.png.91d0cd0ddacd455441177ae8b949486f.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

No that's a turnip, or tuggy. I know it is because when we were children we used to get them from the farmers field, with potatoes.

We then used to put them in a fire to cook

When they were nice and black we took them out and ate them. Bl***y awful!!! I haven't had turnip since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Same here in Stoke, I have been to Tesco and got everything on my list and few things that I didn't have on the list.  There were no signs saying that there were limits on anything. Plenty of all types of vegetables including swedes and turnips.

I think that the TV news and newspapers are causing shortages by reporting that there are shortages so some people are panic buying.

Here is swede just for you :classic_smile:

image.png.91d0cd0ddacd455441177ae8b949486f.png

I grew up calling it a swede, but in Cornwall it's a turnip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Where I was brought up... we just called them things "neeps." Given that the present in the Christmas stocking was the once yearly orange and the present from the Sunday school was the once yearly apple... neeps were'n too bad.R he local doctor had a campaign to have everyone in the village eat more fruit and insisted that they had a fruit bowl in the house... well it happened and often in pride of place in the front window for all to see. But... It was all plastic.

• Like 1