P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 4/21/2023 at 8:04 AM, kalos said:

Happy St Georges day

Happy St George's Day to one and all and Happy Birthday to William Shakespeare as well. This weekend is a major event in Stratford-upon-Avon. A great parade, a special service in Holy Trinity Church and all done with a real sense of occasion, reverence and fun. Local schools and charities are out in force and hundreds of local folk take flowers to decorate the church... It's a very nice occasion.

These are a few picks from not too long ago.

DSC_7911.thumb.jpeg.91254a8dbd3c71b097a98b5547ad3a99.jpeg

DSC_8162.thumb.jpeg.98e40314cdbccb12cbfb29d71cb1c71e.jpeg

DSC_8176.thumb.jpeg.56809f5d8a0b5148c645082a9a9a6a18.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Of course, it is more relaxing if you poodle along the canal in your own narrow boat. 

Ours was called Little Nell !

We had a canal boat holiday when I was pregnant so it was 32 years ago - loved it and always said we’d do another one. Never have got round to it for one reason and another but it was lovely. We started and finished at Stratford upon Avon.

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Morning All. Happy Sunday.

I've had a nightmare with this site for a couple of days! When I saw the message about logging in with our email addresses instead of user names I thought I'd be pro-active and change now. Then I realised that my email address was the one I'd originally registered with - my NHS one. So, I changed the email address to my my now one - sorted? No! My emails kept pinging with every comment made on here - of which there were many! Long story short, I finally managed to turn them off. God knows how - just a lot of button pressing. As you can read, I'm not very technical! In my working days I always had a helpline to call. Now, I have to work it out myself - and it turns out I'm a dinosaur. Anyway, all done now.

Good luck to everyone running in the London Marathon today and hope loads of money is raised for all the charities they support. Have a good Sunday everyone. Jane xxx

Hello Jane, I haven’t got the message about logging in with our email addresses? But then I just leave myself signed in so who knows?!

• Like 2

Morning all, absolutely awful weather again, really grey with some heavy showers! Really fed up with this now as I know we’ve  had much better weather this time of year in recent years. Ah well, nothing we can do, I’m off to do some ironing to warm up!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just got the government test alert but don't know if I will remember what it is about if we ever get a real alert 🤣

I was quite impressed for a change. As I am currently in Wales (with my phone), the message was in Welsh followed by the English version. I assume the message was the same on each.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just got the government test alert but don't know if I will remember what it is about if we ever get a real alert 🤣

Curious - our devices did nothing, and neither did our daughter’s family’s in Yorkshire. Doubtless there’ll be an inquest into what went wrong. 

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Curious - our devices did nothing, and neither did our daughter’s family’s in Yorkshire. Doubtless there’ll be an inquest into what went wrong. 

Glad I was not the only one in Yorkshire not to receive an alert.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just to add to the confusion, we had a simultaneous knock on the door, it was our local councillor, he was just checking that we are supporting him in the local election even though he knows that I was out leafletting twice last week for one of his colleagues in another ward, I don't think that I would be helping out a candidate for the opposition.

• Like 1

Mine came through at 14.59 and I’m in Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire 

Husbands did not- he has the alerts turned off 

have you got the alerts turned off in the settings? 

not sure why we need an alert. It’s not like there’s tornadoes here or anything. Unless we are planning to join in the Russia things. 

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have we? Must have missed it. Should I not be booking holidays 

It might be a good idea to take up permanent residence on a ship, Mr Putin has already said that he could wipe out the UK before we have time to respond. 

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It might be a good idea to take up permanent residence on a ship, Mr Putin has already said that he could wipe out the UK before we have time to respond. 

His righthand man said they'd use a nuke torpedo at sea.Would the wave reach Stoke.Do you have spare bedrooms?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

not sure why we need an alert. It’s not like there’s tornadoes here or anything. Unless we are planning to join in the Russia things. 

But we do have flooding which can be a danger to life, high winds, extreme heat as in last summer plus due to heat we had some wildfires last summer in which people had to be evacuated, that could happen again on a larger scale. 

The system was recommended back in 2014 and government eventually start work on it after the Covid outbreak. There have been localised and specific network tests in the last 18 months or so, todays was the culmination of all that testing, There was mention that it was possible that Android devices below version 11 and Apple Devices below iOS 14.5 might not get the alert. 

The Australians, the USA and some EU Countries have had an alert system in place for a few years, can be used nationally or locally based on your location at the time, it works on the basis of which cell you are connected to. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello Jane, I haven’t got the message about logging in with our email addresses? But then I just leave myself signed in so who knows?!

Hi Sue. I've just got a new tablet so was setting myself up with all my passwords. Like you I normally leave myself signed in but had to set up from fresh on the new device hence I got the message. I presume you'll be OK if you leave yourself logged in - which I'm doing now! Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 1

Hubby and I got the alert, mine was a second before his- very loud! 

I’ll be very interested to see if my mum gets one as her phone is very old. My Dad’s is new. I hope no one crashes while driving! It made me jump and I was expecting it!

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

They were just testing it today. Apparently in the US they do it for a lot for things like missing children.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We had one a couple of years ago while on holiday in New York - It was for a missing child - the alarm scared the life out of us but we thought it was a great idea,

Neither of our phones got it today 😲

ps -  LOVED your blogs and your smiley daughters are adorable!  Are you still speaking to your MIL ??