P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning everyone. Bit of an odd question this, but are people still having problems getting regular supplies of eggs from supermarkets - Tesco in particular?

We have to have stuff delivered and Tesco are still extremely unreliable for eggs. And expensive - more so than other supermarkets.

It’s the unreliability of supply though that’s annoying, when you rely on one delivery a week. Is it just our Tesco, or is this general?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning everyone. Bit of an odd question this, but are people still having problems getting regular supplies of eggs from supermarkets - Tesco in particular?

We have to have stuff delivered and Tesco are still extremely unreliable for eggs. And expensive - more so than other supermarkets.

It’s the unreliability of supply though that’s annoying, when you rely on one delivery a week. Is it just our Tesco, or is this general?

Totally agree re Tesco and eggs.  I like Maran or Burford browns for eating (as opposed to baking) and so many times I order only to find them out of stock later in the week.  I regularly tick for a substitute and have had all sorts, but sometimes I have to resort to visiting Lidl or elsewhere.  I dislike shopping but sometimes it's necessary.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just asked Mrs K , our online shopping is via Morrisons and have had no issues buying eggs.

Possibly down to the Tesco suppliers ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Totally agree re Tesco and eggs.  I like Maran or Burford browns for eating (as opposed to baking) and so many times I order only to find them out of stock later in the week.  I regularly tick for a substitute and have had all sorts, but sometimes I have to resort to visiting Lidl or elsewhere.  I dislike shopping but sometimes it's necessary.

Thanks for that - always in agreement!  My wife used to keep hens, and she’s absolutely with you on Marans. That’s what we had, and the eggs were excellent. She loved those hens, and they in turn loved wrecking the end of the garden where they lived.

We’ll be doing an Aldi Click and Collect later in the week for the missing eggs, but given that Ocado and Waitrose never have egg problems I’m assuming Tesco are having one of their frequent supplier disputes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just asked Mrs K , our online shopping is via Morrisons and have had no issues buying eggs.

Possibly down to the Tesco suppliers ?

Thanks, Kalos. Tesco and their suppliers rarely seem to agree, but it’s never reflected in prices - just profits. I suspect the producers get better prices from the other supermarkets.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Looking at the bbc forecast this is the start of nice dry warm weather. We go away next week on a round Britain cruise and it’s looking good even in the Orkneys and Stornaway, so far! 

Ooh. I’ll be interested in how you enjoy that cruise. If you get the promised  good weather, it’ll be wonderful.

Enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Sounds wonderful and pleased your enjoying it .

This morning we have fog and 7.c but should get to 18.c later.

Foggy here this morning too, but when I finally got up the sun was shining☺️

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I no longer shop at Asda for that reason, and not only eggs unavailable, but Cravendale skimmed milk and some fruit and vegatables. I now shop at Morrison's and they always have eggs, milk and a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables in stock.

Avril

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We buy our eggs from local farm shop as cheaper than th supermarkets. I did notice when we did out Tesco online shop that Tesco had plenty of eggs only one range appeared to be out of stock. As in flu is having an affect on egg production in some parts of the country, so perhaps it county issue rather than a National one that’s affecting Tesco. 

On the Avian Flu, DEFRA took away 2 dead Canadian Geese from our local lake they are being tested as we speak, they had no other injuries hence the concern, should hear next week. The make has quite a large collection of wild fowl, many of which have young at the moment. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Similar problems with Tesco eggs here, Harry, though they always send something plus price match; Sainsbury's has similar supply problems. Is Tesco sending you an alternative or just sending you nothing? Here they are the best of the major supermarkets for decent substitutes and almost always send the complete order with no omissions. Asda is not good, and always two or three items missing, usually items that must have substitutes available in store, but looks like they can't be bothered. 

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 3

Yes it does seem to be a nice evening ,very pleasant .

For those of you, who love rugby .....

A rugby player turns up at A&E with a dislocated shoulder in right pain .

A doctor and a couple of burly nurses are trying to wrestle it back into place and

the rugby player is yelling, letting them know how uncomfortable the entire procedure is.in

no uncertain terms .

After a while a passing matron walking by leans in and says "Really, sir, calm down now

There's a young lady having a baby just down the corridor and she's not making as much fuss as this."

"Well, try pushing it back in again and see what she says then yells the rugby player  ".🤣🤣

Have a lovely evening everyone 🙂

• Haha 8

47 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Similar problems with Tesco eggs here, Harry, though they always send something plus price match; Sainsbury's has similar supply problems. Is Tesco sending you an alternative or just sending you nothing? Here they are the best of the major supermarkets for decent substitutes and almost always send the complete order with no omissions. Asda is not good, and always two or three items missing, usually items that must have substitutes available in store, but looks like they can't be bothered. 

I was annoyed this morning because they substituted replaced 24 large eggs with just 12 medium. And then charged for 24. It wasn’t the overcharge, though - just that they only sent 12. Most of the problems arise because of the store - couple of weeks ago a lot of the fresh food was on its BB or use by date. No warning on the invoice either.

Ocado is much more reliable - but often pricey. They once substituted a free range organic chicken costing £25 - and they don’t reduce the price to the original order price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I was annoyed this morning because they substituted replaced 24 large eggs with just 12 medium. And then charged for 24. It wasn’t the overcharge, though - just that they only sent 12. Most of the problems arise because of the store - couple of weeks ago a lot of the fresh food was on its BB or use by date. No warning on the invoice either.

Ocado is much more reliable - but often pricey. They once substituted a free range organic chicken costing £25 - and they don’t reduce the price to the original order price.

Never had this problem with Tesco, so it must depend on the local branch's efficiency. Had a very similar egg problem with Sainsbury's, who initially told me it was my fault for not rejecting the under-delivery/over charge... 

It does seem to depend on the local store pickers which, in my case, is mainly staffed by middle aged ladies who know what they're doing. I'm sure than sentence breaches many equality laws/rules/regulations but so be it.😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Never had this problem with Tesco, so it must depend on the local branch's efficiency. Had a very similar egg problem with Sainsbury's, who initially told me it was my fault for not rejecting the under-delivery/over charge... 

It does seem to depend on the local store pickers which, in my case, is mainly staffed by middle aged ladies who know what they're doing. I'm sure than sentence breaches many equality laws/rules/regulations but so be it.😂

I think you’re right about the pickers. The store that’s involved competes for staff with a nearby Waitrose, an Aldi and a Lidl. Tesco almost certainly pays the least, and the staff reflect that - though the drivers are great. Could be, of course, that the pickers aren’t given enough time. There was an interesting incident at that store a few years back when opened, contaminated and reseated alcohol bottles were discovered on the shelves. Happened during night shifts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had our Tesco delivery, we had eggs delivered, hadn’t realised I had put them on, 2 items missing Diam Cake and Freeform profiteroles, another week with no substitutions. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you’re right about the pickers. The store that’s involved competes for staff with a nearby Waitrose, an Aldi and a Lidl. Tesco almost certainly pays the least, and the staff reflect that - though the drivers are great. Could be, of course, that the pickers aren’t given enough time. There was an interesting incident at that store a few years back when opened, contaminated and reseated alcohol bottles were discovered on the shelves. Happened during night shifts.

Tesco minimum salary is £11.02 per hour, staff have just had 7% pay rise, the 3rd pay rise on 10 months, Aldi pay .38p an hour more. Both Lidl and Waitrose hourly rates less than Tesco.

I have not really had any issues with pickers at Tesco, although a few years ago we did get carrots substituted for grapes. 🤷‍♂️

It has been a gloriously sunny day today, not a cloud to be seen, light winds, temperature reached 20C this afternoon. I got a lot done in the garden dug a couple of trenches in raised beds and put compost from hotbin in bottom and covered with soil, added a bit of chicken manure for good measure, Rinstalled bean tower and planted 6 climbing French bean plants a further 4 to be planted when headed off.

Planted sweet peas, raked an area at top of garden for wild flowers, covered with chicken wire to stop local moggies using it as a toilet. Sprinkled coffee grounds on rest of border to deter cats, renew areas behind bushes with new pyracantha and hawthorn cuttings to stop them going there as well. 

Tomorrow will nip out to get a couple of growbags so I can plant my tomato plants, this year all produced from seed. Potatoes doing well in bags, earthed up again today, probably one more earthing up session needed, hopefully will be get potatoes my mid to late July. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes it does seem to be a nice evening ,very pleasant .

For those of you, who love rugby .....

A rugby player turns up at A&E with a dislocated shoulder in right pain .

A doctor and a couple of burly nurses are trying to wrestle it back into place and

the rugby player is yelling, letting them know how uncomfortable the entire procedure is.in

no uncertain terms .

After a while a passing matron walking by leans in and says "Really, sir, calm down now

There's a young lady having a baby just down the corridor and she's not making as much fuss as this."

"Well, try pushing it back in again and see what she says then yells the rugby player  ".🤣🤣

Have a lovely evening everyone 🙂

Nice one. Another: the difference between a rugby player and a footballer: A footballer spends 80mins pretending he is injured... a rugby player spends 80mins pretending he isn't! I once played 30 mins with a fractured collarbone. A Hull player recently had a dislocated shoulder put back in and played on. A real professional.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, brian1 said:

Yay,West Ham v Fiorentina Europa Conference final.June 7th,we'll be in a bar in Italy watching it.Most of our locals support Juve or Inter.

Can you have a word with someone to get the team to take it easy in the matches building up to the final please? Asking for a friend...😉

• Haha 2

I woke up this morning with aching back and arms after playing twice in yesterday's bowling match because we were 3 players short due to people taking holidays.  I have just had a phone call to see if I can play again tomorrow because that team is also short of players, they are obviously desperate because the captain said that he would pick me up so that I don't have to drive to the other side of the city.

Warning for @pete14, we are playing in your area at Goldenhill  😇

• Like 6