P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

A lovely sunny day here, very cold though, we had to clear ice from the windscreen this morning, then you have the "what did I do with the deicer" moment. Hopefully the sky will remain clear as there was a big coronal mass ejection recently and the Aurora borealis should be visible for us and even as far south as the midlands.

poppy day.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

You sometimes wonder. We have a rail depot with an aggregate terminal. The folk living in the new flats complain that the tipper truck tailgates bang when they go over the speed humps. If you removed the speed humps.....problem solved. Personally, I wouldn't have spent £500k on a flat in that location.

The Ole Lady used to work for the railway in the ticket office.  Every now and then some nearby resident would pop in to complain about the noise of the trains passing, station announcements etc.

Stock answer was the railway was here before you moved here.  If they continued to moan, the follow up answer was that the railway was there before your house was built.

• Like 5

Good evening everyone we are back , we don't post when we are away but we 

had a lot on our plate to start with .

20231027_135747.thumb.jpg.b9426e9ce2721de96b4d8596189819d8.jpg

This was Mikes chippy in Southampton very easy to get to from the sea front .

Yes that's the Kalos idea of fine dinning  ,,Fish chips , peas and a curry sauce with a

cod roe (haven't had one of those in years ) washed down with a mug of tea !

This was a cruise that we had promised ourselves and booked a fair while back

but ended up being a cruise , just like we expected and some things we didn't .

Our captain on the Ventura jumped ship and was replaced by James brown  who 

had his luggage with uniform going awol  in transit . The good news is it did turn 

up a few days later  and he said 🎵 He felt good 🎵 ... I knew that he would 🙃

I still have a lot of mail to sort out amongst other things ,so I will tell you more tomorrow ,such things as why we  had to pack and disembark the ship before the cruise had ended .

Hope you all have a good evening,catch you all later .

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yes that's the Kalos idea of fine dinning  ,,Fish chips , peas and a curry sauce with a

had his luggage with uniform going awol  in transit . The good news is it did turn 

I still have a lot of mail to sort out amongst other things ,so I will tell you more tomorrow ,such things as why we  had to pack and disembark the ship before the cruise had ended .

Welcome home kalos, now that is a proper plate of snap, did you get bread and butter with it?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Welcome home kalos, now that is a proper plate of snap, did you get bread and butter with it?

Cheers Phil , nope us folk getting back into cruising have to watch the waistline 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The northern lights are currently faintly visible with us on the northern horizon, shame about the light pollution.

An astronomer I follow on SM said the aurora should be better to tomorrow as the full effect of the solar storm has not yet reached Earth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kalos said:

Talk about a cliffhanger!

Welcome back.  Hope your cryptic comment doesn’t mean bad news … but I can’t think of circumstances where leaving a cruise early is a good thing?

🤞 all is well

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home Kalos. You've been greatly missed - as you always are when you're not around.

I hope you and Mrs K are both alright and look forward to hearing about your early disembarkation. As Eddie said - "a cliffhanger".

As long as you're both ok is all that matters.

Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Morning folks, it's 2.c and foggy here . Thanks for the welcome home comments 

also hope @grapau27 has sorted his phone out .

Going back to our cruise .... 

We used the Holiday Inn  cruise package which we found to be good ,with parking,
breakfast and a taxi to and from the port .
We were due boarding for 1 pm and were at the port for 12,30 but was waved through and onboard for 12.40 and soon munching  on a curry I put together on one of the few times we used the buffet.
The sail away from our balcony was a bit different from any others we have done in the past .

Forget We are sailing ,more like Smoke On The Water !   
To one side we had neighbours a few cabins away playing hell up with their neighbours  who were playing their own  Rave ?? music lent over the balcony vaping .
A few further up from them another family were actually smoking , claiming they had no idea that it was not allowed . Seems P&O were looking for a new type of cruiser and they had got them with these folk . P&O 's response was to put it on the back page of  the Horizon mag that it should not happen .
We was told the Vaping issue continued , the sales push seemed more important .
If they can do all that sales bumf why not a card stating fags etc are not allowed
in cabins and balcony's ?
Some things were a first for us, away for Halloween , but for those who  wanted
 a thrill,we had the Bay of Biscay ,a few scary green looking faces to be seen around the ship.
We also missed bonfire night .On getting home our neighbour complained the fire works had been relentless. A few sky rockets on the 10th of November almost took out his 
garden Christmas display .
We liked our cruise and spent many happy hours wrapped up well at times rocking and rolling with the Bay of Biscay . 
Our anti sickness remedies was found in the Saffron it was called a full breakfast and toast and tea it worked for us but we had Kwells on standby .
Someday's were a bit bouncy and even the captain said he woke up one day feeling a bit off.
Talking of breakfast catch you  a bit later .

Here are a few photo's. . . . 

View from Holliday Inn  room.

image.thumb.jpeg.af2001b5d1d8b59ba8fc4f1b13d8fb1b.jpeg

Our lazy days, watching the world go by from our balcony 

seaspray2.thumb.jpg.6bbc8110cb2e14327722949c6f2bfaaf.jpgseaspray1.thumb.jpg.0881113d3d27ac90a34bbe851ab69185.jpg

Our anti sea sickness potion 

breakfast.thumb.jpg.0c30dacd4d7777da2819ea6794d4f46c.jpg

And for all you bargain lovers 🤣😆😅

waterjoke.thumb.jpg.c3eaaa31ba276ded1a25167d99aaa534.jpg

breakfast.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning folks, it's 2.c and foggy here . Thanks for the welcome home comments 

also hope @grapau27 has sorted his phone out .

Going back to our cruise .... 

We used the Holiday Inn  cruise package which we found to be good ,with parking,
breakfast and a taxi to and from the port .
We were due boarding for 1 pm and were at the port for 12,30 but was waved through and onboard for 12.40 and soon munching  on a curry I put together on one of the few times we used the buffet.
The sail away from our balcony was a bit different from any others we have done in the past .

Forget We are sailing ,more like Smoke On The Water !   
To one side we had neighbours a few cabins away playing hell up with their neighbours  who were playing their own  Rave ?? music lent over the balcony vaping .
A few further up from them another family were actually smoking , claiming they had no idea that it was not allowed . Seems P&O were looking for a new type of cruiser and they had got them with these folk . P&O 's response was to put it on the back page of  the Horizon mag that it should not happen .
We was told the Vaping issue continued , the sales push seemed more important .
If they can do all that sales bumf why not a card stating fags etc are not allowed
in cabins and balcony's ?
Some things were a first for us, away for Halloween , but for those who  wanted
 a thrill,we had the Bay of Biscay ,a few scary green looking faces to be seen around the ship.
We also missed bonfire night .On getting home our neighbour complained the fire works had been relentless. A few sky rockets on the 10th of November almost took out his 
garden Christmas display .
We liked our cruise and spent many happy hours wrapped up well at times rocking and rolling with the Bay of Biscay . 
Our anti sickness remedies was found in the Saffron it was called a full breakfast and toast and tea it worked for us but we had Kwells on standby .
Someday's were a bit bouncy and even the captain said he woke up one day feeling a bit off.
Talking of breakfast catch you  a bit later .

Here are a few photo's. . . . 

View from Holliday Inn  room.

image.thumb.jpeg.af2001b5d1d8b59ba8fc4f1b13d8fb1b.jpeg

Our lazy days, watching the world go by from our balcony 

seaspray2.thumb.jpg.6bbc8110cb2e14327722949c6f2bfaaf.jpgseaspray1.thumb.jpg.0881113d3d27ac90a34bbe851ab69185.jpg

Our anti sea sickness potion 

breakfast.thumb.jpg.0c30dacd4d7777da2819ea6794d4f46c.jpg

And for all you bargain lovers 🤣😆😅

waterjoke.thumb.jpg.c3eaaa31ba276ded1a25167d99aaa534.jpg

breakfast.jpg

Thanks Kalos, I look forward to more recollections and musings in time.

Breakfast looks tasty but when plating it up, some more creative presentation would have been more impressive.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kalos said:

Fish looks good, but you don't see avocado moose very often down sarf. Home you and Lady K had a good break. Very well deserved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Breakfast looks tasty but when plating it up, some more creative presentation would have been more impressive.

Yeah he could at least made some swirly patterns with the brown sauce,like James Martin.

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Cheers Pete, not sure what you can do with a poached egg to make it look more impressive 😉

This was my attempt at making the buffet curry look nice ,not for breakfast I might add 🙂

mycurry.thumb.jpg.b328c4d3e4551698b3836ab9a8c55540.jpg

• Like 16

As a naturally impatient person, and as Kalos is obviously going to deliver his news in bite-size pieces, I'm on tenterhooks here! It's like Eastenders but with a real story, real actors, and a far better story line and delivery.

On a serious note Kalos, your cabin neighbours sound like pond life and I sincerely hope they didn't spoil your holiday.

Well I'm just getting settled to watch the Cenotaph service as I do every year but I've got my tablet beside me in case a new episode from Kalos appears while I'm watching.

Have a good day everyone and let's celebrate all those brave souls who gave their todays so that we could have our tomorrows.

Best wishes to all.  Jane xx

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry that you had smokers / vapers near to your cabin.  It is one of my pet hates that these people don't  go to the designated smoking areas and don't consider the people in nearby cabins.  The cruise company should be enforcing the rules.  Sone of the negative comments that I seem to be hear lately from P&O passengers make me wonder whether I want to continue travelling with them.

I wonder if the pricing structure attracts people who feel that rules don't apply to them, P&O particularly on the family ships seem to be less expensive than Cunard and Princess and Celebrity.

I am now off to switch the tv on for the Cenotaph service.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well I'm just getting settled to watch the Cenotaph service as I do every year but I've got my tablet beside me in case a new episode from Kalos appears while I'm watching.

Have a good day everyone and let's celebrate all those brave souls who gave their todays so that we could have our tomorrows.

Best wishes to all.  Jane xx

Same here Jane, we always make time to remember them.lest we forget .

We have just lit two candles for two uncles  ,20 and 24 year olds who never came back 

leaving a mum childless in ww2 . We will remember them .

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1