P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

The wind has picked up here and sounds much worse than the last storm.

I just had a phone call from the children's dad to let me know that he is off work tomorrow to sort out the headstones for my B-I-L and niece so he will take the children to school.

I am happy not to have to go out early tomorrow morning in the predicted storm  Jocelyn though he has another errand in the afternoon so I will be collecting them from school, hopefully the storm will have passed over by then.

I hope that no-one suffers any serious damage caused by storm Jocelyn.

• Like 6

Good morning.  I hope that you have all survived storm Jocelyn.  We had some high winds howling around during the night but other than that no problems.  

I wish it was a bit warmer because I am sure the washing would dry quickly blowing on the line but I have the tumble drier running and the towels are drying on the radiators. 

Take care if you have to go out today.

• Like 7

Have done a brief check outside, no damage as far as I can see, the currently empty wheely bin appears to have tried to escape last night but fell over the steps, a bit like a Dalek unable to negotiate steps, until they learn to fly. 🤣

All the advance notice of road works and road closure in our street put up yesterday have all been blown down, again not many branches in the road.

I have seen from local community page that a tree has gone down across a footpath on a popular walking route, won’t be easy to remove given its location. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

Its been really windy here during the night but seems to have calmed down a bit now. 

I have not been out for the last couple of days because of the weather but have to go out this afternoon to take my mum for a massage. 

Have a good day everyone 

Avril, how is Frank doing? 

Michelle

• Like 10

Good Morning All

Very windy here last night and, like Snow Hill, we have the Dalek lookalike bins. Quite a few small trees down here but the council guys are already out to clear them. It seems a lot calmer now so hopefully Jocelyn is moving away to pester some other poor souls.

Keep well and stay safe everyone and Avril - hope Frank is still improving. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 9

Blowing a hooley here during the night, but luckily on drawing the curtains this morning nothing had blown over and none of my fairly tall trees had gone.   I dread that happening, as one of them, a beech, would almost certainly fall over the neighbour's garden and is a position where  no cherrypicker can  get at it to make it shorter, which would have been a good idea.

I hope no one has had any serious damage done during the night - it is much calmer now, but the wind can  sound quite frightening at 3 a.m.

• Like 10

No apparent damage here after the storm. There were a few gusts last night where ‘my heart was in my mouth’ when the house braced itself against the wind and was creaking. I wrote the other day before the other storm about our roof tiles taking a hit some years ago so I get nervous when high winds are forecast.

We fly out to Cape Town next Tuesday to meet up with QM2, fortunately the weather is looking ok for the flights out via Heathrow I hope it stays that way.🤞

• Like 6

Morning, glad to read no one,s

Suffering due to  the wind,

Some folk recommend Wind-Ease tablets but doubt they'd have been much use.🤔

All take care and have a good day 😊

• Haha 9

Don't want to start a new thread as I may have missed this and it's already been flagged up ........  but has anyone had information about Nationwide Flexplus Insurance changing from UK Insurance to Aviva?  The T&Cs are slightly different.  Just hope it's going to be as good!  

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/smd797-flexplus-travel-insurance-provider-changes.pdf?rev=a9777b0dafbd4079912169fb1868949b#:~:text=Our FlexPlus Travel Insurance provider,provider until your upgrade expires.

P.S Should have added cruise cover is included but additional cruise cover (missed ports etc) is available but has to be paid per cruise - no details I could see on cost. 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Don't want to start a new thread as I may have missed this and it's already been flagged up ........  but has anyone had information about Nationwide Flexplus Insurance changing from UK Insurance to Aviva?  The T&Cs are slightly different.  Just hope it's going to be as good!  

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/documents/current-accounts/insurances/flexplus/smd797-flexplus-travel-insurance-provider-changes.pdf?rev=a9777b0dafbd4079912169fb1868949b#:~:text=Our FlexPlus Travel Insurance provider,provider until your upgrade expires.

Thanks. After quickly reading the document 2 things stand out for me, no upgrade required for over 70s (not that it affects us yet) but not annual cruise cover upgrade and will have to inform them for every cruise individually? I am due to renew my upgrades/pre-existing conditions in April so should get another year with UK Insurance before Aviva.

There are quite a lot of apparent positive and negative changes so I’ll need to go through them carefully to understand them.

16 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Thanks. After quickly reading the document 2 things stand out for me, no upgrade required for over 70s (not that it affects us yet) but not annual cruise cover upgrade and will have to inform them for every cruise individually? I am due to renew my upgrades/pre-existing conditions in April so should get another year with UK Insurance before Aviva.

There are quite a lot of apparent positive and negative changes so I’ll need to go through them carefully to understand them.

You will have to do all your upgrades/pre-existing conditions with Aviva on 1 May, they will not roll over.  We had this a couple of years back when AXA parted ways with Lloyd's/Halifax and Allianz took over.

UK Insurance are leaving certain sectors of the travel insurance market.  Nationwide is not the only couple which will be affected as quite a few companies use them to underwrite.  

Although cruise cover is automatically included you should clarify the full details with Nationwide by asking for sight of the full policy as soon as it's available. Things like missed port pay outs etc may well have different rates of payment for instance.  Your medical upgrades will be subject to different ratings too dependent on Aviva ratings.

Edited by Megabear2

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You will have to do all your upgrades/pre-existing conditions with Aviva on 1 May, they will not roll over.  We had this a couple of years back when AXA parted ways with Lloyd's/Halifax and Allianz took over.

UK Insurance are leaving certain sectors of the travel insurance market.  Nationwide is not the only couple which will be affected as quite a few companies use them to underwrite.  

Although cruise cover is automatically included you should clarify the full details with Nationwide by asking for sight of the full policy as soon as it's available. Things like missed port pay outs etc may well have different rates of payment for instance.  Your medical upgrades will be subject to different ratings too dependent on Aviva ratings.

That’s not how a read it, it says until upgrade expires with UK Insurance which is for 12 months after renewal not 1st May. Why would you pay for annual upgrades if they are not valid a month later?

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

That’s not how a read it, it says until upgrade expires with UK Insurance which is for 12 months after renewal not 1st May. Why would you pay for annual upgrades if they are not valid a month later?

Medical is not an upgrade, its an underwriters decision.  The other things are add ons and thereby yes will continue under UK Insurance.The document indicates that medical will need to be redeclared on 1 May with Aviva.  If your renewal is very close to 1 May you should discuss it with Nationwide nearer your renewal date. I assume your medical cover is the most expensive of what you perceive as "add ons" so seeking the proper information from the correct party as early as possible should be helpful.

When our policy changed provider in November 2021 I was able to speak to them a month before my renewal due in mid October.  

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks for that MB, you are a bit of a kill joy this morning.😯

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks for that MB, you are a bit of a kill joy this morning.😯

No, honestly just trying to make sure all you guys realise you have to redeclare your medical conditions on 1 May. Never forget I've been there got the t-shirt when it becomes a problem.  Your other stuff will roll over until it expires and you will get presumably a notification to renew with Aviva.  

And to those querying it, yes you will have to notify Aviva every time you book a new cruise although no doubt most of us do that now anyway .... well hopefully!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

It clearly says if you have current medical cover, it will continue with UK Insurance until it expires. No need to tell Aviva in May.

And the document does call it medical screening ‘upgrade’ and upgrades are covered until the UK Insurance cover personally ends after 1st May.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

It clearly says if you have current medical cover, it will continue with UK Insurance until it expires. No need to tell Aviva in May.

Here is your new travel insurance policy.  As you will be buying cruise cover extension for every cruise you have booked - ie 10 policies for 10 cruises - one of the things they will do when you purchase the first one is direct you to the medical website.  Although your conditions are paid and declared for you will be working with Aviva not UK Insurance.  If anything it makes the first year confusing - I had claims with two different insurers as a result of the crossover.  

If your policy is renewable at the end of April it makes sense if you aren't too far off to speak to Aviva, for instance your cover apart from the extensions ends on 25 April you can be covered under "normal" terms until 1 May and then with Aviva.

Basically you have a new cruise policy you buy as an add on for every cruise.  Every Nationwide customer won't have an April/May renewal date but clearly as so many have mass bookings you will be dealing with two companies in the event of claiming.

Other banks are also having to move their customers as the number of underwriters is shrinking.

p4197-upcoming-flexplus-travel-insurance-policy.pdf p4132-aviva-upcoming-travel-insurance-ipid.pdf

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Here is your new travel insurance policy.  As you will be buying cruise cover extension for every cruise you have booked - ie 10 policies for 10 cruises - one of the things they will do when you purchase the first one is direct you to the medical website.  Although your conditions are paid and declared for you will be working with Aviva not UK Insurance.  If anything it makes the first year confusing - I had claims with two different insurers as a result of the crossover.  

If your policy is renewable at the end of April it makes sense if you aren't too far off to speak to Aviva, for instance your cover apart from the extensions ends on 25 April you can be covered under "normal" terms until 1 May and then with Aviva.

Basically you have a new cruise policy you buy as an add on for every cruise.  Every Nationwide customer won't have an April/May renewal date but clearly as so many have mass bookings you will be dealing with two companies in the event of claiming.

Other banks are also having to move their customers as the number of underwriters is shrinking.

p4197-upcoming-flexplus-travel-insurance-policy.pdf 435.18 kB · 0 downloads p4132-aviva-upcoming-travel-insurance-ipid.pdf 65.56 kB · 0 downloads

You do what you feel is right for you. My current upgrades expire in July and I'll renew then.

When DH  surfaced this morning he suggested going to the top up our wine stock, then on the way he thought that we should stop at Wetherspoons for a totally unhealthy breakfast.  The Wetherspoons breakfast was awful, it was tepid, I asked for my egg to be well done but when I stuck my knife into it the yolk squirted all over my jacket so the jacket is now in the washing machine on hot was which will hopefully get the grease out without ruining the jacket.

The good news is that we now have plenty of wine 🍷

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

And the document does call it medical screening ‘upgrade’ and upgrades are covered until the UK Insurance cover personally ends after 1st May.

Just checked with NW and for existing policies you will be covered  by UK insurance under existing terms for holidays up until the current expiry date. However as ours expires in October I  did not check whether renewals before May 1st would continue with UK Inrurance or not.

• Like 1