Jump to content

P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?


Host Sharon
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I remember WH when he was Sergeant major Bullymore in the army game,lol.Those Daleks make me laugh,you were only in danger if you lived in a bungalow,bro.

Blimey, that's some memory you have there bro.  Some top actors and comedians were cutting their teeth in that show. There was a spin off too, Bootsie and Snudge. 

The first Dr Who's were so cheesey but I loved them.

Sis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

You're worrying me now sis,bro.

Don't worry bro. If you worry about me, I'll begin to worry about you worrying me, and if I begin to worry I'll be worried about it. 😵

🎶Don't Worry, Be Happy🎶

Sis

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Things have moved on - they can levitate and fly now, thanks to CGI!
 

Funniest I ever saw (side-splitting!) were Victor Lewis-Smith’s daleks on TV Offal. But I won’t link to that here because it’s absolutely inappropriate and unsuitable. 😇

Lol,do you remember Blake 7,a real budget series.All the rayguns and props were made from toilet rolls and Blue Peter sticky back plastic.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Weather here today is just so grey again. However I have a very unexpected and puzzling visitor, my SIL. Suppose all will be revealed later.

Hmm, brother drops in for a visit, and then a surprise visit from your SIL. A little breather maybe?

Avril

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, wowzz said:

Lots of chat about Wordle on the Claudia Winkleman show this morning !

Seems Olly Alexander is a big fan - who'd have thought it !

(Hands up all those who know who Olly Alexander is without using Google)


i know who he was as he was in the excellent drama ‘It’s a sin’ about the AIDS epidemic in the 80’s, enjoyed the music but it was sad and thought provoking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Lol,do you remember Blake 7,a real budget series.All the rayguns and props were made from toilet rolls and Blue Peter sticky back plastic.

I do. Nobody really bothered then, or even noticed. Stuff like Pugwash* and Bagpuss looks pretty tacky these days, but our little grandson loved Tales of the Riverbank when he saw it over Christmas. Bet that’s got a few fans here!

 

*carefully avoiding the apocryphal stories about the names of the characters here!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Hmm, brother drops in for a visit, and then a surprise visit from your SIL. A little breather maybe?

Avril

Maybe. I have never had a visit from SIL on her own before, she hates driving and certainly not nearly 3 hours worth each way. We get on fine so not worried but I suspect Brother has done something but it must be momentous to require a visit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Lol,do you remember Blake 7,a real budget series.All the rayguns and props were made from toilet rolls and Blue Peter sticky back plastic.

You've really started me thinking back now bro.

Babylon 5. Tales of the Unexpected. Lost in Space. The Outer Limits. The Twilight Zone.

The biggest laugh were the 'Tribbles' on Star Trek.🤣 However they managed that and kept a straight face I'll never know. I wonder how many takes it took.

Sis

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You've really started me thinking back now bro.

Babylon 5. Tales of the Unexpected. Lost in Space. The Outer Limits. The Twilight Zone.

The biggest laugh were the 'Tribbles' on Star Trek.🤣 However they managed that and kept a straight face I'll never know. I wonder how many takes it took.

Sis

By gum yer diggin em up theer Avril, wharrabaaht Space 1999, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar Galactica, then onto Quantum leap and Alien Nation, Deep Space 9 and not to forget the loveable Alf and the very funny Third rock from the sun and Mork and Mindy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have decided to go on our cruise on 19th Feb, Iona to the Canaries. I transferred the original balance to an Arvia cruise next year. Booked this morning and a balcony very close to my original is £600 cheaper. Need a sunshine cruise so what the hell, we are going for it.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK - here's a left field one. 

 

Anyone else struggled to find frozen blackcurrants?  Amazingly, found a place yesterday that supplies organic ones at a pretty reasonable price delivered across the country.  Gooseberries too - and other fruits.

 

Blackcurrant and gooseberry crumbles (not mixed!) beckon.  Interest stirred by Jay Rayner's Kitchen Cabinet on Saturday morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

By gum yer diggin em up theer Avril, wharrabaaht Space 1999, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar Galactica, then onto Quantum leap and Alien Nation, Deep Space 9 and not to forget the loveable Alf and the very funny Third rock from the sun and Mork and Mindy.

The really upsetting thing though Phil, is that I can remember watching them. Some in black and white. Oh 'eck🙈

One I didn't mention, which was a favourite of ours was The Invaders with Roy Thinnes. It was only on for about a year, and I never understood why it was cancelled.

While I'm on memory lane, how about the original 1953 War of the Worlds. We first saw that when it was shown on TV in the early 70's. The special effects, considering the year it was made were amazing. 

Avril

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The really upsetting thing though Phil, is that I can remember watching them. Some in black and white. Oh 'eck🙈

One I didn't mention, which was a favourite of ours was The Invaders with Roy Thinnes. It was only on for about a year, and I never understood why it was cancelled.

While I'm on memory lane, how about the original 1953 War of the Worlds. We first saw that when it was shown on TV in the early 70's. The special effects, considering the year it was made were amazing. 

Avril

As we are on a trip down memory lane; what about these bad boys?

May be an image of text that says 'It wasn't party without these'

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

As we are on a trip down memory lane; what about these bad boys?

May be an image of text that says 'It wasn't party without these'

Us posh Southerners had a pineapple square with ours.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Might upset a few and surprise many but have never seen one episode of Dr Who.

You wont forget his Tardis though.We had one 200 yards up the road.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

My first dr was Jon Pertwee - just a little younger than you 🙂 🙂 

Loved the new Dr Who remakes though and loved Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant (ahhh), Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi (though he was let down by terrible writing and scripts for his amazing talent). Then we went to the next Dr and we haven't watched since. 

 

Have to say, we once visited Cardiff Dr Who exhibition and had the chance to visit the Tardis set --- met a REAL Weeping Angel and set foot IN the TARDIS. Happy days .... and yes, we are big kids at heart 🙂 🙂 

 

We are Trekkies too ................ and have met William Shatner and Walter Koenig ----- Star Trek convention to celebrate the 50th anniversary BUT we didn't wear a costume !!!!!!

 

😉

 

 

 

 🖖

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

As we are on a trip down memory lane; what about these bad boys?

May be an image of text that says 'It wasn't party without these'

Ours were stuck into a half orange that had been covered in tin foil and mixed between cheddar and onion or the very much more exotic at the time Edam and (tinned) pineapple squares.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Might upset a few and surprise many but have never seen one episode of Dr Who.

I'm the same with Crossroads and neighbours both programs were alien to me .

Both theme tunes were time for me to meet up with the lads in the pub :classic_smile:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Us posh Southerners had a pineapple square with ours.

Us scrubbers up north had chopped up hot dog sausages on ours if we couldn't

afford tinned pineapple .:classic_mellow:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Anyone read in the papers today that drinking 5 glasses of wine a week protects you against Covid ?

I'm getting my weekly dosage tonight! 

Bit like our daughter and my Mrs.We stayed with her in Sevenoaks Friday,they ended up doing all the Meatloaf repertoire on Karaoke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

By gum yer diggin em up theer Avril, wharrabaaht Space 1999, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar Galactica, then onto Quantum leap and Alien Nation, Deep Space 9 and not to forget the loveable Alf and the very funny Third rock from the sun and Mork and Mindy.

Battlestar Galactica was my favourite, I remember being torn choosing between Starbuck and Apollo 💕😁

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember the Police boxes when I joined in the early 70's. Had strict instructions from the Station Sergeant to ring in regularly when on foot patrol,  radios had just started to be issued and the boxes were phased out by the mid 70's. Seems a lifetime ago, which it was.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got offered a job with our local TV working on a revival of kids puppet shows from the 70's 
I was only there for one hour but I got sacked for dropping a Clanger. :classic_unsure:

 

That was a good TV show but to be fair some of the adverts were better than the programs .

Cadbury Smash and the Argos aliens but the Clangers had a lingo that only a Collie sheep

dog could understand :classic_unsure::classic_smile:
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

I got offered a job with our local TV working on a revival of kids puppet shows from the 70's 
I was only there for one hour but I got sacked for dropping a Clanger. :classic_unsure:

 

That was a good TV show but to be fair some of the adverts were better than the programs .

Cadbury Smash and the Argos aliens but the Clangers had a lingo that only a Collie sheep

dog could understand :classic_unsure::classic_smile:
 

I liked BillandBenese.I used to speak it fluently  after 10 pints.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Host Anne locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Announcement: Sail with Marella Cruises ~ Sponsored by Marella Cruises
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...