P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

We have decided to go on our cruise on 19th Feb, Iona to the Canaries. I transferred the original balance to an Arvia cruise next year. Booked this morning and a balcony very close to my original is £600 cheaper. Need a sunshine cruise so what the hell, we are going for it.

Glad you rebooked I’m sure your enjoy it , we had our tickets arrive through the post yesterday for the one before feb 12 th , not had that before from travel agent and  luggage labels, might be because it’s a b2b one , been booking a couple of excursions today for the canaries and some are sold out 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Me too. Gran had a TV like that and we'd watch Charlie Chan.  Strange when you look back to when TV programmes were broadcast for a few hours each evening, and ending with the National Anthem and the disappearing dot.

Avril

We could only afford to watch the disappearing dot

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Can't leave you lot for a day  can we!!!!!  Haven't been in today, then come in tonight and there are four or five pages to catch up with 🤣  Its done my brain no good at all.

Muffin the Mule, and Saturday Morning Pictures.  What memories they stir!

On a different note.  I live on a main road albeit behind a small green, its the old A2.  I'm on a junction with a 'rat run' to the motorway?  Every night from 9 pm its so quiet.  I have sat here and there has been no car or anything for nearly 5 minutes.   Are people not going out at all? I wonder whether going out on Friday and Saturday nights, as we are used to doing, will ever come back to the same degree.  I moved here from a country lane, and it was busier.     

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

True, and pineapple squares with maraschino(had to check the spelling for that one😉) cherries too.

Sis

You must have been posher sis.Those bad boys were only reserved for the older ladies snowballs,bro.

• Haha 1

Good morning.

It was frosty first thing but is 4°C with nice clear skies now.

I used to watch all the cowboy films of Clint Eastwood and series like Bonanza, Rawhide,High Chapperal,Alias Smith and Jones.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I used to watch all the cowboy films of Clint Eastwood and series like Bonanza, Rawhide,High Chapperal,Alias Smith and Jones

Me too - Clint Eastwood was my pin up! As a child, I was a big fan of Roy Rogers & Trigger. 

Edited by Astrajet
  • Like 3

Morning all :classic_smile: I also was a fan of Ted Rodgers (321) and Tigger who used to 

bounce everywhere and Ted how he would annoy me with that 3-2-1 hand signal 

that everyone used to practice doing . Not that it was of any use to anyone.

I've never seen anyone stood doing a countdown using their hands like that .:classic_unsure:

Some hand gesturers that we have seen on TV shows could come in handy 

as safety videos like the one below for example :classic_smile:

Have a good day everyone :classic_love::classic_smile:

57916.jpg.54c5903a4e61ffca863935686b18c1bc.jpg

• Haha 7

All these posts about childhood television reminded me just how much the world has changed in my lifetime. We have gone from simple puppet shows to CGI and from marbles and skipping ropes to virtual reality games.

I think older folks at the moment have gone through such major change. I am typing this on a tablet that is more powerful than a computer that filled a large room used to be. The keyboard is virtual on the touch screen which would have felt like some sort of magic when I was young - now every 4 year old can use one.

Cameras are another example. There are few pictures of me as a young child because it was an old fashioned box camera and you needed a cube flash to take anything in the evenings. Laterally my mum and dad bought a Kodak instamatic so there are more little square pictures of youth.

I’m a great sci-fi fan so watched all the classics from Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodger’s etc. Some of the sci-fi from years ago is now reality.

So here is a question, what comes next? What innovation will become a commercial proposition in our lifetime. Personally I would love to be able to use a transporter rather than a plane but I think I will be in my box before that happens, I am however holding out hope for a self driving hover car.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

All these posts about childhood television reminded me just how much the world has changed in my lifetime. We have gone from simple puppet shows to CGI and from marbles and skipping ropes to virtual reality games.

I think older folks at the moment have gone through such major change. I am typing this on a tablet that is more powerful than a computer that filled a large room used to be. The keyboard is virtual on the touch screen which would have felt like some sort of magic when I was young - now every 4 year old can use one.

Cameras are another example. There are few pictures of me as a young child because it was an old fashioned box camera and you needed a cube flash to take anything in the evenings. Laterally my mum and dad bought a Kodak instamatic so there are more little square pictures of youth.

I’m a great sci-fi fan so watched all the classics from Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodger’s etc. Some of the sci-fi from years ago is now reality.

So here is a question, what comes next? What innovation will become a commercial proposition in our lifetime. Personally I would love to be able to use a transporter rather than a plane but I think I will be in my box before that happens, I am however holding out hope for a self driving hover car.

I too am a great Sci-fi fan and recognised at a young age that todays sci-fi was tomorrow's reality. I always remember some of the things me mam said when I was watching Dr Who and Star trek as a nipper, about it being far fetched rubbish. A lot of it is now reality, this is what pushed me into a scientific career and still fascinates me today, and once you start studying particle physics you understand why a lot of scientists are as mad as a box of frogs.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

All these posts about childhood television reminded me just how much the world has changed in my lifetime.

When we stop and look back at what has happened in our lifetimes the inventions and innovations have been mind bending, how we have got to where we are now ,it's just wow !

Looking on the medical side of things and from a personal point of view .If someone had told me that someone was going to get a wire ,stick it in my leg and go up and have look on the inside of my heart !!  This is classed as routine surgery in todays world . Going forward I was reading up on cell growth and how they could make /grow new organs for the human body . Just like space travel  came a reality it looks like this will become the same .

Lots of things will not be in our lifetime but they will happen :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I too am a great Sci-fi fan and recognised at a young age that todays sci-fi was tomorrow's reality. I always remember some of the things me mam said when I was watching Dr Who and Star trek as a nipper, about it being far fetched rubbish. A lot of it is now reality, this is what pushed me into a scientific career and still fascinates me today, and once you start studying particle physics you understand why a lot of scientists are as mad as a box of frogs.

Great Scott!...............

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Having visited Cape Canaveral and seen that room full of old computers,you could now conduct the whole Apollo  mission from your phone whilst ordering a ruby takeaway at the same time.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 5

Feeling at a loose end with not much to do until late February, I thought I'd start researching the family tree again. I know some of you do this and  wondered if you could recommend a good site. I used to do it a while ago and used Ancestry.com, but now there are many more sites and wondered if there was a better one. 

Avril

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Feeling at a loose end with not much to do until late February, I thought I'd start researching the family tree again. I know some of you do this and  wondered if you could recommend a good site. I used to do it a while ago and used Ancestry.com, but now there are many more sites and wondered if there was a better one. 

Avril

I use Ancestry and found it to be good. My mum did a DNA Ancestry test with them, I am now in touch with a relative in New Zealand I didn’t know I had.

Findmypast is the only one that has the 1921 census. I registered for that last week, found my Grandma on the census then they wanted to charge me an extra £2.50/£3.50 to view it as well as paying my subscription to them. I have cancelled with them and are sticking with Ancestry 

Hope you have fun Avril researching your family 

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I use Ancestry and found it to be good. My mum did a DNA Ancestry test with them, I am now in touch with a relative in New Zealand I didn’t know I had.

Findmypast is the only one that has the 1921 census. I registered for that last week, found my Grandma on the census then they wanted to charge me an extra £2.50/£3.50 to view it as well as paying my subscription to them. I have cancelled with them and are sticking with Ancestry 

Michelle

Thank you Michelle.

When I retired in 2010 I began researching then and found it fascinating. I couldn't get as far as I wanted because the censuses I needed weren't available, mum 1908 and dad 1912, so I'm looking forward to starting again.

Avril

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Michelle, I thought you could only view the 1921 census by signing up for a yearly subscription. then if you find something, they want as you say £2.50-3.50 a time. Not playing with them at this time.

Ancestry gave me everything I needed in terms of leads, then as a Canadian lady said, it's down to trawling the dead! Spent many hours in cemetery's and have been able to get many previously unknown family memorials, cleaned and repaired, Fascinating past time, touching on the Battle of Balaclava, one of the 600! The restructuring of Windsor Castle in the 1800s The Architect having been a partner in the family building business, also many family members being clergy in various parishes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Michelle, I thought you could only view the 1921 census by signing up for a yearly subscription. then if you find something, they want as you say £2.50-3.50 a time. Not playing with them at this time.

Ancestry gave me everything I needed in terms of leads, then as a Canadian lady said, it's down to trawling the dead! Spent many hours in cemetery's and have been able to get many previously unknown family memorials, cleaned and repaired, Fascinating past time, touching on the Battle of Balaclava, one of the 600! The restructuring of Windsor Castle in the 1800s The Architect having been a partner in the family building business, also many family members being clergy in various parishes.

A few weeks ago when the 1921 census was released I signed up to Findmypast and didn't take out a subscription. I can only access basic census information and as others have said to see more detail you have to pay if you want more details.

I have read that this will be the last census release for 30 years due to the 1931 census being destroyed in a fire during the 2nd World War and the 1941 not taking place because of the war.

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

You only need to register, you don’t need a subscription to access the 1921 Census as it’s pay per view.

I would suggest only purchasing the image, as you do your own transcription if you wish. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Just now, Splice the mainbrace said:

A few weeks ago when the 1921 census was released I signed up to Findmypast and didn't take out a subscription. I can only access basic census information and as others have said to see more detail you have to pay if you want more details.

I have read that this will be the last census release for 30 years due to the 1931 census being destroyed in a fire during the 2nd World War and the 1941 not taking place because of the war.

That is correct the 1931 Census for England and Wales was destroyed by fire, the 1931 Scottish Census survived as stored elsewhere.

The next Census will be the 1951 Census due for release in January 2052.