P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just going back to tasting menus -  I have enjoyed 5 to 6 courses, on a cruise, of these, and the good thing is that I can remember what I had.  I fear that if it were even 10, let alone 30 or whatever, it would all be a blur by the end of the evening, let alone years later.  I guess photos would help, however.

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just going back to tasting menus -  I have enjoyed 5 to 6 courses, on a cruise, of these, and the good thing is that I can remember what I had.  I fear that if it were even 10, let alone 30 or whatever, it would all be a blur by the end of the evening, let alone years later.  I guess photos would help, however.

It being a blur at the end of the evening may be more to do with the cocktails, wine and after dinner tipples.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Not 70 until October sis,although they might lower the age.I think our infection back in May is a bit like an unofficial booster,but do they tweek the boosters to take in the latest variants,bro.

We had covid a little while ago and I don't think we're fully over it yet, still lethargic and feeling a little down. I think the boosters are the same, but not sure.

Sis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We had covid a little while ago and I don't think we're fully over it yet, still lethargic and feeling a little down. I think the boosters are the same, but not sure.

Sis

We had it in April. I still feel lethargic. No change there then. I have felt like that since 1973.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just back from nearly 3 weeks away in Spain without constant access to wifi, so will now get back into the habit of checking in.

Interesting trip. The indicator board at the airport failed for my flight going out meaning the gate number only showed when it said "Gate Closed". Cue mad dash for all the pax to get on board. Mid-flight there was an announcement asking for a doctor or nurse but fortunately it didn't turn into an emergency.

Had my return flight cancelled twice whilst away. After rebooking Gatwick twice, I then chose to come back to London City Airport instead. At least BA made it very easy to rebook online and I could choose any flight at no extra cost.

On top of that, I tested positive for Covid so had to isolate for a while. My symptoms however were so mild that I wondered whether it was a false positive, although I did have a cold.

Now turning my attention to my Aurora cruise. Just booked an overnight hotel. Excursions next...

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just back from nearly 3 weeks away in Spain without constant access to wifi, so will now get back into the habit of checking in.

Interesting trip. The indicator board at the airport failed for my flight going out meaning the gate number only showed when it said "Gate Closed". Cue mad dash for all the pax to get on board. Mid-flight there was an announcement asking for a doctor or nurse but fortunately it didn't turn into an emergency.

Had my return flight cancelled twice whilst away. After rebooking Gatwick twice, I then chose to come back to London City Airport instead. At least BA made it very easy to rebook online and I could choose any flight at no extra cost.

On top of that, I tested positive for Covid so had to isolate for a while. My symptoms however were so mild that I wondered whether it was a false positive, although I did have a cold.

Now turning my attention to my Aurora cruise. Just booked an overnight hotel. Excursions next...

Hope you were able to enjoy your time in Spain despite having to isolate.  Good to hear that your symptoms were mild. 

Super for you to have an Aurora cruise to look forward to now.  She is our favourite ship but we have to wait until October '23 before we sail on her again after our two sailings on her this year were cancelled ☹️

Edited by Astrajet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Astrajet said:

Hope you were able to enjoy your time in Spain despite having to isolate.  Good to hear that your symptoms were mild. 

Super for you to have an Aurora cruise to look forward to now.  She is our favourite ship but we have to wait until October '23 before we sail on her again after our two sailings on her this year were cancelled ☹️

I can't say that I am looking forward to it as I would do normally but having had FCC's carrying over for two years, decided it was time to bite the bullet...

• Like 2

Afternoon all, into the office today. Then more madness at my parent’s this afternoon, bless them! New drama, my mum’s M&S card has been fraudulently used! Luckily M&S stopped it and luckily we were there as I had to take the call as my mum couldn’t hear what the lady was saying! I do hope things settle down soon. My Dad’s getting a bit anxious now, hopefully once we get all the niggles sorted he’ll calm down.

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I can't say that I am looking forward to it as I would do normally but having had FCC's carrying over for two years, decided it was time to bite the bullet...

Do hope that, once on board, you will be able to enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

Welcome back Andrew,it seems STN is the only airport working "normally" at the mo.Although there are a couple of Ryanair cabin crew strikes looming,hopefully it will settle when we fly on August 6th.

• Like 1

Morning everyone, looks a cloudy day here at the moment but sun forecast later in the day so I will keep my fingers crossed.

It is nice to read about all you travel experiences, even the unfortunate ones who caught the dreaded you know what which includes me. It seems lots of us also have future travelling plans which makes thing almost “normal” again whatever that might be. 

Not much planned for today so far except dog walking and the usual day to day stuff.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 2

It started out nice and bright when I got up this morning so I decided that I didn't  need a jacket when I went to the oatcake shop, but it was actually quite cool. There are road works that I didn't know about so I had to walk on the road for about 40 yards sharing it with the the school run traffic then on the way back ithere was a short rain showerso the walk was not really a very good idea.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

Flights are no fun at all at the moment. Both of our flights out and back were changed by over 12 hours and then we had a long delay on return. Add to that massive queues for security.

At least when we got back to Edinburgh passport control was extremely quick and the bags were there almost immediately - small mercies.

As if airport issues were not bad enough now the roads are blocked by deliberate go slows. Leave in plenty time to get to your ship, after a 3 year wait you don’t want to miss it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It started out nice and bright when I got up this morning so I decided that I didn't  need a jacket when I went to the oatcake shop, but it was actually quite cool. There are road works that I didn't know about so I had to walk on the road for about 40 yards sharing it with the the school run traffic then on the way back ithere was a short rain showerso the walk was not really a very good idea.

Sounds like the travails of the ‘Milk Tray man’: ‘and all because the lady loves oatcakes’. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Flights are no fun at all at the moment. Both of our flights out and back were changed by over 12 hours and then we had a long delay on return. Add to that massive queues for security.

At least when we got back to Edinburgh passport control was extremely quick and the bags were there almost immediately - small mercies.

As if airport issues were not bad enough now the roads are blocked by deliberate go slows. Leave in plenty time to get to your ship, after a 3 year wait you don’t want to miss it.

It sounds a nightmare!! We go in four weeks taking our grandchildren with us. Going from Manchester T2 and I am dreading it. I have been wondering whether to take just a small case each of 10kg luggage so no chance of no luggage at the other end

Michelle

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It sounds a nightmare!! We go in four weeks taking our grandchildren with us. Going from Manchester T2 and I am dreading it. I have been wondering whether to take just a small case each of 10kg luggage so no chance of no luggage at the other end

Michelle

Morning Michelle.

Simon Calder the travel expert recommends just taking hand luggage if you can which would certainly avoid those big Check in queue's.

It is 15°C and overcast here today.

Lazy day watching A Place in the Sun on TV.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It didn't even start nice here this morning , the sun is up there somewhere but the cloud is so thick its not really bright ,and that blessed cool wind which has blighted us most of the summer will not go away😒

50 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

I would if you can manage it. We had to take hold baggage as we had heavy formal wear. Our bag drop was not too bad either out or back (but the queue for the BA one looked horrendous).

Also be aware that they were checking the size of every cabin bag and if it didn’t fit in the little cage then it was put in the hold at a very high extra cost. We saw several people having their bags taken, their own fault as they were ridiculously too big for lockers.

Check the measurements for any hand carry.

I would also advice you to take your own food and snacks. On the flight home there was nothing left by the time they got to us. Thankfully I had packed a small cool bag with some bits and pieces, dried fruit etc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Morning Michelle.

Simon Calder the travel expert recommends just taking hand luggage if you can which would certainly avoid those big Check in queue's.

It is 15°C and overcast here today.

Lazy day watching A Place in the Sun on TV.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Yes I heard him as well Graham. Great advice for short trips or if you don’t need lots of changes of clothes etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Welcome back Andrew,it seems STN is the only airport working "normally" at the mo.Although there are a couple of Ryanair cabin crew strikes looming,hopefully it will settle when we fly on August 6th.

I think Luton is faring reasonably well too...

Ryanair Spain-based cabin crew are certainly striking. Seems their basic salary is €850 per month LESS than their colleagues in France & Germany. Base pay is apparently €950 per month...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was very fortunate with pretty short queues for security at both Gatwick and Malaga. Luckily, I travel hand luggage only to Spain.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I heard him as well Graham. Great advice for short trips or if you don’t need lots of changes of clothes etc.

I agree it sounds good for Simon Calder but in reality most of us never travel light.

• Like 2