P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

54 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Lockdown closed our libraries  which I used regularly, so I switched to e-books from the library. They use a system called Libby, and it downloads easily to my tablet, and the beauty of it, for a tight Yorkshireman, is that it's free.

Amazon do a lot of free books for kindle. I've read a lot of them and some are excellent reads. The only ones I buy are my favourite authors, because I re-read them. 

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s very wet but very mild here.  Went out early with the dog, thinking things were unlikely to improve - were correct! ️ 

Better forecast for tomorrow 

Did Santa bring anyone else Richard Osman’s novel The Thursday Murder Club?  It’s taking me a lot of effort to get into it, which is a surprise as it’s been a bestseller for weeks.  I’m off to have another feet up session with it.  Back later

I bought it for my husband (mainly so I could read it!) and finished it yesterday.I quite enjoyed it as a light read and loved the dry humour.May even buy the 2nd in the series when it comes out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Do you think it sold just on his name then?  I like him on Pointless etc, when I can be bothered to watch; I love his dry wit on Twitter but, 90 pages in, I’m still not that bothered about picking it up again (as you can tell - I said I was off to read, still haven’t got there 🙄

Avril, I like Michael Connelly and the whole LA thing.  It might be Osman’s ‘classy retirement village’ schtick which I’m finding difficult.  Twee and clichéd.

I read another broadcasters book before RO.  Simon Mayo’s Knife Edge.  Journalism and terrorism.  Very bloody but very good (I thought).  
His first novel, was set in Dartmoor Prison in 1815 and based on true events with US prisoners of war (who knew?).  Very interesting bit of history.  Mad Blood Stirring.  £4 on kindle

Just picked up a pile of books from a friend who was getting rid of them including Simon Mayos Mad Blood Stirring.Not my usual choice of book but one reason I am in a Book Club is because it means I read different genres.At the moment I am reading The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri. Tomorrow morning is my monthly zoom Book Club when I shall be commenting on Richard Osmans book!

Edited by ann141
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The latest Rebus came up on the Daily Deal for 99p, plus the latest Mark Billingham, so they are downloaded ready for reading. I'm working through the Cormoran Strike series at the monent - blimey,  they are long, long books!

I've read the first Cormoran Strike book and have the second to read at some point. I haven't read a Rebus book for years so I might look for mine, got a feeling they're in the loft, that'll please Mr B 😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I've read the first Cormoran Strike book and have the second to read at some point. I haven't read a Rebus book for years so I might look for mine, got a feeling they're in the loft, that'll please Mr B 😊

The latest Strike book is almost 1000 pages long ! Still expensive on Amazon, so,will have to wait til the price comes down.

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I read the first Cormoran Strike book, decided it wasn't my type of book but received the second as a present so read that too.Don't think I will be reading anymore.

Love Rebus - have read nearly all of them.  Does anybody read John Harvey's  Charlie Resnick novels?  I suppose because I lived very near Nottingham for years I enjoy them especially, but they are well written, and the TV series ages ago was perfect, with Tom Wilkinson as Resnick.

Liking Pointless and House of Games, I think they are light, humorous and kindly disposed, also test the brain cells a bit.  Just what we need at present to escape.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Coronavirus briefing today on BBC at 5pm by Priti Patel.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think I'll bother😐I can find something better to do with my time.

Avril

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto; risk assessment completed and decision taken to avoid raising the blood pressure.😄

Hopefully, they will switch Pointless to BBC2 like yesterday.  In which case we shall be switching to BBC2.  If they don't switch it, can you we join you guys please?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I read it last year, I found it very hard to get into, very slow going! However much I enjoy watching Richard Osman on tv I don't think I will be buying any future books that he writes.

If it's that bad best to wait for charity shops to stock it.Our daughter paid 20 quid for Ant Middletons latest,I paid 50p 2 weeks later for a copy.She was not amused,lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

If it's that bad best to wait for charity shops to stock it.Our daughter paid 20 quid for Ant Middletons latest,I paid 50p 2 weeks later for a copy.She was not amused,lol.

Yes, I quite often buy second hand books or wait until Kindle books are 99p, the only books I tend to buy new are my favourite authors. 

My husband bought the Richard Osman book for himself to read, I just borrowed it. He said today that he would buy the next one too, I wont be borrowing it unless I have a change of heart 😊

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We watch Pointless but not too keen on House of Games.I would love BBC to bring back Eggheads.

Good job there's something for everyone - can't bear Pointless, love Eggheads. No idea why.

My Mother went on Fifteen to One about 20 years ago, when she was in her late 70s; got into the last three, then beaten by a computer question (by then she was registered blind so completely ignorant of technology). The question: "What is a palmtop"? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Wonderfully boring. If we did things differently, they wouldn't be the same.

I rather liked the comment that we could have had a lower economic hit if we had acted sooner and harder. How you would measure that I have no idea, there are just too many variables to tinker with, all of which would have had an unknown impact which are impossible to measure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I rather liked the comment that we could have had a lower economic hit if we had acted sooner and harder. How you would measure that I have no idea, there are just too many variables to tinker with, all of which would have had an unknown impact which are impossible to measure.

You can look at the likes of New Zealand who locked down hard and fast, and as a result can now live almost normally, with the economy open.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You can look at the likes of New Zealand who locked down hard and fast, and as a result can now live almost normally, with the economy open.

That’s a cogent example. We are also an island so could have done the same but the powers that be did not.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

So many Questions we still need answers to ? 

If it  snows heavy, does anyone know how many snowmen you're allowed in your garden under current restrictions? :classic_unsure:

That would depend on how heavy the snow was, the heavier the snow the more snowmen per garden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Good job there's something for everyone - can't bear Pointless, love Eggheads. No idea why.

My Mother went on Fifteen to One about 20 years ago, when she was in her late 70s; got into the last three, then beaten by a computer question (by then she was registered blind so completely ignorant of technology). The question: "What is a palmtop"? 

Our favourite quiz show is Only Connect. Missing the team quizzes onboard

• Like 2