P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Lovely photo Snow Hill.  Last week I got quite excited as the daffodil and tulip bulbs I had planted in pots around the garden had started coming up. Then the snow came and they are all completely covered. I know they will be fine but it lifts my heart to see new beginnings in my garden. 

Have all sorts of bulbs starting to peek through after snowdrops I think dwarf irises will be next followed by the various varieties of daffodils. The Bellis in wall baskets will be in flower in next couple of days, the landis not too far behind. Will be great to have some colour in the garden again, the orange berries on my pyracantha were last element of colour, however the blackbirds & thrushes soon saw them off. 

• Like 2

Not much colour in my garden, a lot of promise though. Couldn’t believe how long we had fuchsia flowering, there were still some well into December. I planted up 2 pots of Coronilla Citrina in early autumn and put them either side of the patio doors. The lemon flowers are quite delicate looking but have been a joy when there isn’t much else to look at. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We had a week planned in Sorrento back in early October which was cancelled, the plan was to visit both Pompeii and Herculaneum during our stay. We were in Naples on Oceana in 2017, but opted out of going on the excursion to Pompeii given the short time it was there, said we would return on a land based break to do a visit there justice. 

I have been to Pompeii & Herculaneum before, 56 years ago on a school trip, but guess it will have to wait another year before we return. 

You and me both, at around the same time, for that school trip. Pompeii, Herculaneum, Villa d'Este etc.  A week in a youth hostel in Rome,  likewise in Sorrento. 

We had a great holiday in Sorrento fairly recently.  Very relaxing, but great for accessing both Pompeii and Herculaneum.  And let's not forget the gelati......

• Like 2

Purplesea, it just shows the difference between living in the north and south. Your garden is obviously a lot further on than mine. I am getting very impatient to get out there and start doing stuff but the snow is still at least a couple of inches on the borders and lawns, paths are clear now though. We have rain forecast for the next few days as well.

• Like 1

It’s been another lovely day here.  Icy roads soon melted off.  

It’s Burns Night - haggis, neeps and tatties with whisky sauce.  Veggie haggis as it’s meat-free Monday.  I’ve had to shift the 2 day from the 5:2 eating plan - haggis etc just can’t squish into 6-800 calories

Just think - a week from now will be February!  Whoop de Doo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Olympic did serve has a troopship and returned to passenger service after the first world war, it did have several accidents but did not sink.

it was retired from service after the White Star line merged with Cunard and scrapped on Tyneside in 1936.

The other sister to Titanic the Britannic was serving has a hospital ship in the first world war and sank after hitting a mine.

A hotel in Alnwick has some of the fixtures and fittings from Olympics dining room.

There was a speciality dining room on Celebrity Millennium that was fitted out from Olympic when we were on there in 2004 but they have since removed it. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s been another lovely day here.  Icy roads soon melted off.  

It’s Burns Night - haggis, neeps and tatties with whisky sauce.  Veggie haggis as it’s meat-free Monday.  I’ve had to shift the 2 day from the 5:2 eating plan - haggis etc just can’t squish into 6-800 calories

Just think - a week from now will be February!  Whoop de Doo

A few years ago some friends were having a joint Burns Night and Chinese New Year Party 
They' called it  "Chinese Burns Night " party. 
I wasn't going to go but they twisted my arm.  :classic_unsure::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:   Enjoy your meal ! :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, terry2 said:

Given that the olympic was a troopship in the first world war and didn't sink until 1934, I find this somewhat implausible. 

Ha ha or was the troopship really the Titanic? Again you have to see the programme it really gets your mind working

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Well that didn’t go very well for us last night at all they lost 😡 and my other half wasn’t pleased with their playing at times and threw what could of been a lead away a couple of times !! never mind , Rupert I won’t tell you the score for the next game in case you haven’t watched it yet 🙂

Oh well, Chiefs to win the Superbowl!

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The story I've seen is that:

Olympic was damaged following a collision with an RN ship.  White Star were not paid out by either the Admiralty or White Star's insurers and considered the ship uneconomical to safely repair.

So, at some point, they secretly switched over the names of the ships, renaming Olympic as Titanic and vice-versa.  Followed by  a cunning plan to sink "Titanic" when conveniently close to other vessels to rescue the crew and passengers.  

An iceberg came along too early and the rest is history, apart from the theory that it was actually Olympic that sank.  Leaving Titanic serving as a troopship under the name of Olympic.

If that is what happened, the only people who really know are long gone.  

8 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Ha ha or was the troopship really the Titanic? Again you have to see the programme it really gets your mind working

Did you see the post above Rupert ? 

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Did you see the post above Rupert ? 

Exactly! But it was a very interesting programme. The fact that you can clearly make out the O and P on the Hull of Titanic is creepy. When they switched names they used rivets to secure the letters but the builders had actually engraved the names into the Hull of both ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Lovely photo Snow Hill.  Last week I got quite excited as the daffodil and tulip bulbs I had planted in pots around the garden had started coming up. Then the snow came and they are all completely covered. I know they will be fine but it lifts my heart to see new beginnings in my garden. 

We have daffodils coming up and some snowdrops are in flower. It always makes me feel better, a sign of Spring 

Michelle 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

We are grandparents again, daughter in law had a baby girl about 2 hours ago weighing 7lb 10 oz called Amelie. That’s brightened my day up

Michelle

Many congratulations........ lovely name too. X

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

We are grandparents again, daughter in law had a baby girl about 2 hours ago weighing 7lb 10 oz called Amelie. That’s brightened my day up

Michelle

Congrats on your new family member :classic_smile:  9448836ddf2ec2e015f43df8d2bb0c4b.jpg.bc384ee9961390e1b8930dff09ee58fe.jpg

• Like 2