P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Had to go to bank today to deposit a cheque that was over the limit for mobile banking, rather than go to the branch in the shopping centre which I normally would have done in the past, I drove a couple of extra miles in the opposite direction to a branch in nearby market town, Found a parking space right outside the branch, went in branch to find it was busy, member of staff said was because people were avoiding the town centre branch, so not just me then. Fortunately the immediate deposit machines had no queue so I was in and out within 2 mins. Had a wander round the town as I had 1 hours free parking, it was relatively quiet, all the shops open they are mostly independent shops, each seemed to have customers in them. Noted a few to visit at a later date. Everyone was wearing masks, where there were queues people were obeying the rules, from what I heard not the case in town centre especially the long queue for Primark, I have only probably gone in there about a dozen times in the 10+ years it has been open, awful place.

Visited 2 local garden centres today, Dobbies seem to have a lot of gaps on their shelves, and typically it was the things I want that were missing. My local independent was different got some of the items I wanted, will look online for the others. 

After my venture out today I won’t be rushing back to the shops, I will continue to deal with those small businesses I found online during the 3 lockdowns to service our needs. 

• Like 3

Just had an email from the wine merchant we use for our “special wines”, we placed the order in January, should have come mid Feb, is now coming Friday, like many wine importers he has had problems with imports and the new forms the Government has introduced for wine imports, plus getting carriers to bring in the smaller quantities. As a result of the additional costs involved the price for the red has gone up by £2 a bottle, the white by £1.50, the first increase in price for 3 years on these wines. 

We still have 2 reds from the last order left, so we will crack open a bottle for our Wedding Anniversary on Wednesday, at least this year we are not in total lockdown. 

Pub by the river booked for lunch on Wednesday hope sun shines like it did on our wedding day when it reached 25C, looking at forecast though we probably will see 10C, so thermals on for lunch. 🥶

• Like 5

Good news Eddie..me too for  second Pfizer on Friday.

I was flattered to be asked by the bloke making the appointment if I was pregnant.  Flattered at my age.   He should have had my date of birth in front of him.  Gave us a good laugh though when I said I wasn't sure!!!!!!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Screenshot_2021-04-12-20-12-55_kindlephoto-27886775.thumb.png.3a8d6004722a589bfff37af8397f45b7.png

We have been "out" all day, nice walk before breakfast, crisp and cold with a cloudless sky. Then a drive into Barnsley to pick up bits and bats, change some books, I needed a new phone and Mrs YP needed to put some cash in the bank. Had a coffee and cake from Costa sat and watched the world go by and listen to one of the buskers. I couldn't believe the queues outside the hairdressers, I hate to think how long some people waited. Then home to sit in the garden reading for 3 hours in lovely warm sunshine. Called at a friends in the aft to drop Mrs YP's knitting off, had a cuppa and a natter in their garden before going home for tea, prior to a nice walk in the evening. The most normal day since forever and thoroughly enjoyed. I hope everyone enjoyed their day as much as we have.

• Like 11

I foolishly put a selfie on my Instagram page to show that I no longer had a scarecrow look and one of my darling nieces has replied that I am looking more and more like Nana.  As much as I love my mum I really hope that my very straight bob does not look like a poodle head, she was really fond of her perms 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

As a result of the additional costs involved the price for the red has gone up by £2 a bottle, the white by £1.50, the first increase in price for 3 years on these wines. 

One if the advantages of liking Australian and other New World wines, is that their prices will not be affected by the Brexit malarky! 

• Like 2

I don't buy any of that French or German muck either.Just Italian,only for a bit of loyalty.Who remembers Paul Masson Californian wine in the 70s.They shipped it over in tankers concentrated like crude oil to be "refined" over here.I didn't know any difference,I was a light and bitter sommelier in those days.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I foolishly put a selfie on my Instagram page to show that I no longer had a scarecrow look and one of my darling nieces has replied that I am looking more and more like Nana.  As much as I love my mum I really hope that my very straight bob does not look like a poodle head, she was really fond of her perms 😂😂

Out of the mouths of babes and children...😇🥴

28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I don't buy any of that French or German muck either.Just Italian,only for a bit of loyalty.Who remembers Paul Masson Californian wine in the 70s.They shipped it over in tankers concentrated like crude oil to be "refined" over here.I didn't know any difference,I was a light and bitter sommelier in those days.

Now you are taking me back! How about 'Pia D'or' with the advertising slogan "The French adore the Pia D'or" . No,  they bl**dy didn't.  Awful stuff. And what happened to Blue Nun ? So sweet you could actually feel your teeth rotting away as you drank it!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now you are taking me back! How about 'Pia D'or' with the advertising slogan "The French adore the Pia D'or" . No,  they bl**dy didn't.  Awful stuff. And what happened to Blue Nun ? So sweet you could actually feel your teeth rotting away as you drank it!

And Black Tower Wowzz. Do you remember that? I thought I was so sophisticated in those days - drinking the "in" drinks of their time. Jane.x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

And Black Tower Wowzz. Do you remember that? I thought I was so sophisticated in those days - drinking the "in" drinks of their time. Jane.x

Certainly I remember that, plus of course, Hirondelle. I'm amazed my liver is still in working order! 

I have to admit that after all these years, I do find that, despite being widely derided, Mateus Rosè, suitably chilled, is actually not bad!   

Kalos is late today!

Andy and Michelle I hope you are both keeping well and can still see how much you are missed.

I wonder what happened to Moley?

Have a good day and best wishes to all.

Jane.x

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Was Paul Masson the stuff that was sold in carafe styled bottles? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Certainly I remember that, plus of course, Hirondelle. I'm amazed my liver is still in working order! 

I have to admit that after all these years, I do find that, despite being widely derided, Mateus Rosè, suitably chilled, is actually not bad!   

Hirondelle!  I'd forgotten that one. Oh the memories of a misspent youth are flooding back. I agree with you about Mateus Rosè but you're right - the chill factor is what makes the difference between not bad and bl***y awful. Jane.x

• Haha 1