P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I have been going to the supermarket on the odd occasion.  Actually found it uncrowded and easy.  I am not nearly so concerned now I've had the jab.  Still wear a mask of course.  Going back to work tomorrow.  We have screens up to shield from the general public.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I have been going to the supermarket on the odd occasion.  Actually found it uncrowded and easy.  I am not nearly so concerned now I've had the jab.  Still wear a mask of course.  Going back to work tomorrow.  We have screens up to shield from the general public.

Good luck with work tomorrow Jean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Because I'm new here I haven't got a regular hairdresser yet.

Found a lady, recommended, who comes here but I have to wait another fortnight.

I am usually a very social person.  Until last year I helped in a 'cabaret' bar on Fridays and Saturdays, lots of noise, music and dancing, and  I also belong to a few groups and we were always out and about, but I am feeling a little trepidation about getting back into crowds or shops again.  That's just not like me.. does anyone else feel a little like that?

I think you will find there’s an awful lot of people feeling exactly the same. It’s been a scary year and I think the answer is to take re-emergence back into society slowly and at your own pace.

Gill x

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am the same Jean, I have done an occasional supermarket shop alongside the routine deliveries, also been for routine appointments at the anti-coag clinic, as well as a number of  new property visits, and trips to the tip as we de-clutter in preparation for downsizing to a much smaller property.  As a result we don't feel too stressed about the raising of restrictions, we will continue to observe the rules and regulations, but we are looking forward to being able to visit relatives indoors from next month. Life has to begin to return to some sort of normality.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

Interesting to read in the MoS (sorry!) today, that the chances of contracting CV19 through surface contact is virtually negligible. 1 in 200,000. So all this wiping down of supermarket trolleys,  menus, seats, let alone wiping down your groceries,  is basically a waste of time! 

We have been to sit in daughters garden today (amid the sleet showers!).Mentioned to my daughter that I was beginning to get some grey hairs (never needed to colour it)and she said 'not too bad, half and half!!! I think I need to go to Specsavers too.I am only having a cut on Wednesday at the hairdressers so will have to think about colouring or growing (old) and grey gracefully.Feel slightly nervous about going into town again after only going out for walks from home but have been planning which shops to go into first so the nerves are being replaced by excitement.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Was the astronomer Leon de st Croix, the Cruise Director (have they got a new title now?).  Med height, stocky, bald, neat beard?  Very affable.

He’s good!  One minute doing the Macarena at a sail away party, the next giving a very knowledgeable lecture in a blacked out theatre and the next having pax flat out on loungers after dinner, describing the visible stars

Ahhhh, cruising.  It’s good, innit?

Surprisingly Leon de St Croix started with P&O as a member of the dance troupe as a dancer. If my memory serves me right he was on Aurora Maiden (or should I say one of 4 Aurora maiden cruises of which the first was cancelled). In true P&O style they had maidens for the first 4 cruises to different parts of the world and we were on the Norwegian Fjords one.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interesting to read in the MoS (sorry!) today, that the chances of contracting CV19 through surface contact is virtually negligible. 1 in 200,000. So all this wiping down of supermarket trolleys,  menus, seats, let alone wiping down your groceries,  is basically a waste of time! 

I have to confess I have never wiped over any of our supermarket deliveries  I do wash my hands after putting everything away, but that is my only contribution to covid safety.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have been eating ice cream overlooking South Shields beach.

Strange day as it is bright sunshine and mild then we have a snow flurry.

Graham.

16181550804561887222562620959782.jpg

Same here, one minute blue sky and bright sunshine, the next grey sky and snow flurry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have to confess I have never wiped over any of our supermarket deliveries  I do wash my hands after putting everything away, but that is my only contribution to covid safety.

I just use a hand gel when I get back in the car after doing the shopping. I don't bother wiping the trolley handle down before using it or anything like that.

I have always sprayed the trolley handle or basket handle on every shop I have been on and used the hand gel on entering and leaving the store. I hope that when cruising starts again everyone is forced to use hand gel before entering any restaurant whether it be MDR or buffet and when returning to the ship from a port of call before boarding the ship. There is always a hand gel dispenser at the bottom of the gangway but in my experience I bet less than 10% have used it and on occasions people have walked passed and then when I have used it they return and use it because they say they forgot but more likely embarrassed not to have used it initially.

• Like 3

I always use it on the ship, but quite honestly wiping the trolley handle doesn't make a lot of sense.  You then go in the store pick up items which other people have probably handled and put it your trolley.  So for me, it's best to shop, pack and then use the hand sanitiser.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Have to say, initially I was worried about being at work amidst the lockdown / s and know most others were the same. Have to say, with all of the precautions in place now folks I work with are far less anxious and, thank God, have remained safe and well despite being with many people. In a strange way, the Covid world we live in has become the new norm ........ and feel safer at work than we do out and about with people who seem oblivious that there is a pandemic

PS We still clean all of our shopping down. Have done it throughout and see no reason to stop now. We would rather be safe than sorry

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 6

Having just finished my shift for Test and Trace the discussion on hand washing and sanitising takes me back to the routine I must follow (or be sent off site for failing to do so) during my 8 hour shift and what I have followed numerous times today whilst putting on and taking off PPE (mask, gloves, apron or face shield as appropriate).

Attached are the instructions from Public Health England for hand washing using water or just hand sanitiser if hot water is not available.

Best_practice_hand_rub.pdf Best_practice_hand_wash.pdf

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I have always sprayed the trolley handle or basket handle on every shop I have been on and used the hand gel on entering and leaving the store. I hope that when cruising starts again everyone is forced to use hand gel before entering any restaurant whether it be MDR or buffet and when returning to the ship from a port of call before boarding the ship. There is always a hand gel dispenser at the bottom of the gangway but in my experience I bet less than 10% have used it and on occasions people have walked passed and then when I have used it they return and use it because they say they forgot but more likely embarrassed not to have used it initially.

We always use these latex free gloves when shopping for food.

We use antivirus wipes to wipe down all food packaging before we put the shopping away.

16181596521971448393557088857651.jpg

• Like 4

We sailed on RCL feb 2020 and you had to use the hand sanitizers outside all dining rooms and gangway. They had people there stopping anyone who didnt. Amazingly i never saw anyone not wash their hands. Anthem of the seas had two wash room areas with running water before you went into the buffet. The same as is set up in all the deployed military camps i have been to, such as bastion and basra.

I can honestly say i have never been ill on a cruise from D&V and have found their cleaning and sanitation much better then hotels/resorts onland. 

I also know my own cleaning routine is as best as i can make it to feel safe and also protect those around me. So i have no issues with going back on cruises or going out, even though i havent had the vaccine yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I saw the CDC findings earlier this week on the subject, however they said the risk was 1 in 10000 from surfaces. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Have never wiped down our groceries once Tesco or Ocado have delivered, however we have always wiped down the kitchen work surfaces after putting stuff away something we have always done, not just because of Covid-19, we do wash hands afterwards, again have always done so. 

Our local farm shop has a hand washing facility (soap & water) with paper towels, then you are given a basket, the handle is wiped before it is given to you.

We used to put parcels aside for 48 hours, but stopped doing that when they said the risk of catching it from cardboard or paper was extremely remote. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Have never wiped down our groceries once Tesco or Ocado have delivered, however we have always wiped down the kitchen work surfaces after putting stuff away something we have always done, not just because of Covid-19, we do wash hands afterwards, again have always done so. 

Our local farm shop has a hand washing facility (soap & water) with paper towels, then you are given a basket, the handle is wiped before it is given to you.

We used to put parcels aside for 48 hours, but stopped doing that when they said the risk of catching it from cardboard or paper was extremely remote. 

I suppose I see the risk assessment for where I work which is endless and then apply that to our home and the way we are living. It makes a difference. If its not safe for one area it isn't safe for my home and my family. (If that makes sense)

Edited by Presto2

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I suppose I see the risk assessment for where I work which is endless and then apply that to our home and the way we are living. It makes a difference. 

Same here, after a career in pharmaceuticals washing hands and sterilising everything was part of life, old habits die hard. It is not just covid you need to be wary of. Lots of bacteria can survive on hard surfaces for several days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Same here, after a career in pharmaceuticals washing hands and sterilising everything was part of life, old habits die hard. It is not just covid you need to be wary of. Lots of bacteria can survive on hard surfaces for several days.

Have already said that we will continue to keep a lot of what we are doing in place after things calm down as I am sure it will help to flight Norovirus in future and even the likes of the Winter flu virus🙂

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I saw the CDC findings earlier this week on the subject, however they said the risk was 1 in 10000 from surfaces. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

That’s the report I saw referred to in the US papers. Quite how the Mail managed to translate 1 in 10,000 into 1 in 200,000 escapes me, but they always have their own agenda.

It’s a very low risk, based on that evidence, but those same findings are a bit concerning about how long the virus hangs around after an infected person has been in a room.