P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Have to say that I am not a massive fan of the Royal Family but over the last few years I have become much more respectful of the Queen as she has continued to serve her country despite her age. I have to say that William and Kate have grown on me too.

Anyway, why say that? Well, whatever my thoughts are re the monarchy my thoughts and prayers go out to the Queen and the rest of Prince Philip's family today. They too are all human beings and have lost someone they loved - a husband, father, grandfather and great grand father. Respect where it is due.

• Like 12

That’s about it Presto.  74 years married 😮

Apparently she fell for him at first sight, when she was 13 😮

I suppose it’s a shame he didn’t get to 100 but, forgoodnesssake, it’s only a number.  The poor old boy was never the same after that awful jubilee trip on the Thames on the lovely Gloriana.  Cold and wet but he stayed at his post, at his Queen’s side.  Caught a chill and that accelerated his decline

It’s been a nice day here.  Still not as warm as we would like, but bright and not too breezy.  It’s encouraging seeing the shops getting ready for next week.  Colourful spring clothes in the windows instead of dull winter ones. Hurrah!

• Like 4

A very respected ex Royal Naval Officer and a great servant to the Queen and Country. I had the honour to meet him three times, once having a good chat, well about a minute ! A man who spoke his mind and didn't suffer fools.

R.I.P.  Sir.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

A very respected ex Royal Naval Officer and a great servant to the Queen and Country. I had the honour to meet him three times, once having a good chat, well about a minute ! A man who spoke his mind and didn't suffer fools.

R.I.P.  Sir.

Wish there were more like that in today's world - much needed. Say what you think and don't suffer fools ... 

• Like 1

A no nonsense man who refused to conform to today's expectations of political correctness. A man who was steadfast and true to himself. My thoughts and prayers go to all the Royal family and especially to the Queen who married the man she loved, a man who gave her enduring respect and support.

Rip Sir.

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, Beckett said:

A no nonsense man who refused to conform to today's expectations of political correctness. A man who was steadfast and true to himself. My thoughts and prayers go to all the Royal family and especially to the Queen who married the man she loved, a man who gave her enduring respect and support.

Rip Sir.

+1.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

That’s about it Presto.  74 years married 😮

Apparently she fell for him at first sight, when she was 13 😮

I suppose it’s a shame he didn’t get to 100 but, forgoodnesssake, it’s only a number.  The poor old boy was never the same after that awful jubilee trip on the Thames on the lovely Gloriana.  Cold and wet but he stayed at his post, at his Queen’s side.  Caught a chill and that accelerated his decline

It’s been a nice day here.  Still not as warm as we would like, but bright and not too breezy.  It’s encouraging seeing the shops getting ready for next week.  Colourful spring clothes in the windows instead of dull winter ones. Hurrah!

I remember that weekend.We were in Scarborough on a weekend break.One of the rare occasions where the weather was better up North,but not a lot.

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

One thing is for sure, Phillip would have absolutely hated the OTT coverage on TV and radio. 

Its amazing and a little weird to think all these tv shows were made and ready to go. 

My heart goes out to the royal family and all those who have lost someone they love. No matter who you or what social circles you live in the loss of a loved one is never easy.

The royals have had a hard year. Take away the money and titles etc,  they are just a normal family like the rest of us. RIP Sir

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
Spelling
  • Like 6

4°C cold but sunny with snow flurries forecast for later today.

There was a hard frost last night -3°C.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

2 more days to go before hairdressers,non essential shops outdoor seating at pubs and restaurants reopen.👍👍

• Like 4

Cold but bright again here this morningsnow and sleet forecast for overnight and tomorrow though. 

I like our immediate Royal Family, not so much the lesser royals, but with a few minor exceptions. I was bought up to have respect for the monarchy, and imo our Queen and Prince Philip have always deserved it, regardless of the shame that other royals have caused them. They are from a different generation when they new what was expected of them and did their duty without complaint. Times and ideas change, but why should they be pilloried for doing the job that they have given up so much for, and why should they continue to be verbally attacked, because they have too much class to respond?  Rest in peace Prince Philip you've earned it.

Avril

• Like 10

Our wintery weather is forecast for overnight and into tomorrow, so we shall see. Our hairdresser day is on Wednesday and it can't come soon enough, and the non-essential shops reopening is great, pubs and restaurants though, not as important for us. Life is slowly returning to somewhat 'normal' which is a positive sign. Onward and upward🤞

Enjoy your day whatever you're up to and stay safe. You too Andy x

Avril

• Like 4

Another cool day ,another day staying in and staying warm today. The PC decided to 

play me up this morning ,the service client system went daft on me ,so I have been sorting 

it out this morning .I think that firewall renewal yesterday must have upset it. That meant I

had to get my PC technical head on and go through tha arduous task of sitting back with 

tea and toast and let the PC do a system restore. I suppose I could have gone through the

pc's system and hunted out the service client but it was early and this way was much more 

tastier:classic_love: Looking forward as Graham said the hair dressers will reopen in a few days which 

must be exciting for those who have hair ,for me about as much use as the holes in a packet

of Polo's :classic_unsure: As for the non essential shops they are no good either as I was hoping to buy 

some essential oils but those shops won't sell them .Are essential oils really necessary ? :classic_wacko:

I don't know do you ? :classic_unsure: The good news is our jabbers have broken the daily jab record again 

so thanks to them jabbers we are heading towards more normality ,so thank you guys :classic_love:

Whatever you all get up to today have a good day and stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You too Andy x

...And Michelle ! Don't forget Michelle :classic_love: Also all the other (sensible non troll) posters

who are taking time out ,all keep safe and take care :classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its sure nippy up north today, icy wind with snow flurries, Mrs YP has just had to bring her washing in as the snow is starting to settle. Hope everyone enjoys the weekend and looking forward to the next step of getting back to normal on Monday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

...And Michelle ! Don't forget Michelle :classic_love: Also all the other (sensible non troll) posters

who are taking time out ,all keep safe and take care :classic_smile:

Thank you Kalos for the reminder, truly chastised, and I won't forget again😟🥺

In answer to question about essential oils, I would have thought it was obvious. Non-essential oils aren't essential, but essential oils are. Simple really when you think about it.🤔

I have a much quicker and easier way to sort out my laptop too, I shout for my grandson. The eldest one moved into his own flat, but if the youngest ever leaves, I'm snookered😁

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

171262209_1749352131912051_4123434168504165781_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=k2E8rhHe3XwAX9DCII2&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx2-1.fna&tp=7&oh=f19e3b9dade863e5b27f4d2b4b8fe20f&oe=609766F5

It was 109 years ago today, 10th April 1912, that RMS Titanic departed Southampton on it's maiden (and last) voyage. Titanic called at Cherbourg in France and Queenstown (now Cobh) in Ireland before heading west to New York. On 14 April, four days into the crossing and about 375 miles (600 km) south of Newfoundland, she hit an iceberg at 11:40 p.m. ship's time

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 3

Bright and sunny down here, but a but a bit blowy. Temp wise it's 8c with but the wind's making it feel 4.

Had a phone call yesterday from one of my daughter's to check if we would be in if they called round.

Don't know where she thought we would be!! We ended up having a BBQ in the garden until it became too chilly to sit out. I haven't seen her and her hubby for more than a few minutes for a door step delivery on Mother's Day so it was nice to have a catch up. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

171262209_1749352131912051_4123434168504165781_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=k2E8rhHe3XwAX9DCII2&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx2-1.fna&tp=7&oh=f19e3b9dade863e5b27f4d2b4b8fe20f&oe=609766F5

It was 109 years ago today, 10th April 1912, that RMS Titanic departed Southampton on it's maiden (and last) voyage. Titanic called at Cherbourg in France and Queenstown (now Cobh) in Ireland before heading west to New York. On 14 April, four days into the crossing and about 375 miles (600 km) south of Newfoundland, she hit an iceberg at 11:40 p.m. ship's time

We were in Nova Scotia in 2019 and went to the Cemetery in Halifax where the poor folk from the Titanic were buried. What brings it home, is some person who boarded the ship to make a new life in America. Now all that remains is a stone with a number and a date. Nobody to mourn their passing, no name,  nothing. Now that IS sad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We were in Nova Scotia in 2019 and went to the Cemetery in Halifax where the poor folk from the Titanic were buried. What brings it home, is some person who boarded the ship to make a new life in America. Now all that remains is a stone with a number and a date. Nobody to mourn their passing, no name,  nothing. Now that IS sad.

I remember going to the Titanic museum in Southampton and walking in to a large room with a dark map on the floor. It was almost covered with spots --- I remember wondering what they were. Then I realised that each one represented someone local who had died in the accident. It was one of those moments that I will never forget and am guessing that those dots were just a fraction of the people who perished.

Very sad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We also visited Halifax in 2019 whilst on a North America/Canada sailing (in fact this was the last cruise we did before the pandemic) and this was our last port of call on 20th Sept 2019.

We visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic that has a Titanic section.