P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s definitely picked it’s moment. 

I understand the reason for protests that seem to be turning into riots but it’s not helpful 

and unfortunately there are going to be people from all walks of life there, including the shop workers,nhs and teachers. 

I really don’t think covid will go anywhere and we are all just going to have to live with it like the flu and other illnesses that you can get. 

Most are not turning it riots, those that have have been caused by a minority, the majority of those taken part have been peaceful. 

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

For young people it’s lower risk so we should be getting back to normal and getting the economy going. 

People who are older or with certain conditions should be helped financially and socially (food delivered etc) to shield if they choose to. 
But people can then make their own decisions. If my health condition was a different one and I was at great risk I would shield but I’m not. 
We don’t have statistic information on every virus we may catch other than this one and most of us before would have chose to go outside. 

I think someone else equated it to children for example are more likely to be hit by lightening 3 times than die of this virus. Can’t remember what it was for adults but it obviously got higher the older you got but then so does most other viruses as the immune systems is weak. 

we should have looked after the elderly and care homes etc and just got on with everything else. 

The government failed those in care homes, my mother died in care home in Early April, her death was not caused directly by the virus, but we feel that as she had no visitors since mid March she may well have felt abandoned. The Care home manager told me their biggest concern was a patient entering the home with the virus as they weren’t being tested beforehand  & also they couldn’t get tests for their staff either, so again a risk to patients. They had a good stock of PPE initially but then struggled to replace it. The Government effectively left homes to fend for themselves in the beginning its only when deaths rose rapidly they decided to act, by then it was too late. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

Most are not turning it riots, those that have have been caused by a minority, the majority of those taken part have been peaceful. 

but still it’s a mass gathering

peaceful or not it’s got more people together in the same space in the middle of a pandemic 

maybe we will build herd immunity instead, I don’t know. 

just think it’s absolutely crazy we are classed as a pandemic and These two countries have protests and riots etc. 

Im having a bad day so all this virus is winding me up. It’s not like moaning about it is going to help at all. 

we’ve just got to keep on following like good little people and hopefully this will be all over soon and we will just have to live in whatever world we have created for ourselves 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The government failed those in care homes, my mother died in care home in Early April, her death was not caused directly by the virus, but we feel that as she had no visitors since mid March she may well have felt abandoned. The Care home manager told me their biggest concern was a patient entering the home with the virus as they weren’t being tested beforehand  & also they couldn’t get tests for their staff either, so again a risk to patients. They had a good stock of PPE initially but then struggled to replace it. The Government effectively left homes to fend for themselves in the beginning its only when deaths rose rapidly they decided to act, by then it was too late. 

I’m sorry about your mum. 

this is what the problem is, we haven’t focused on the correct people to help. 

we seem to have just slammed the breaks on and let everything fall where it is. 

We think there is a guy at hubby’s work who might have took his own life due to all of this. 

I really hope this is all over by Christmas 

• Like 1

Snow Hill I’m sorry you lost your mum in April my heart goes out to you and everyone who’s lost a family member who cannot get close to them for their final hours , 

Vampires88 keep your chin up my mother would say and all we can do ourselves is make sure we keep ourselves out of danger by lots of hand washing, face masks and spraying anti bacteria gel , keeping ourselves in our bubble to look forward to cruising again, 😌

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

For young people it’s lower risk so we should be getting back to normal and getting the economy going. 

People who are older or with certain conditions should be helped financially and socially (food delivered etc) to shield if they choose to. 
But people can then make their own decisions. If my health condition was a different one and I was at great risk I would shield but I’m not. 
We don’t have statistic information on every virus we may catch other than this one and most of us before would have chose to go outside. 

I think someone else equated it to children for example are more likely to be hit by lightening 3 times than die of this virus. Can’t remember what it was for adults but it obviously got higher the older you got but then so does most other viruses as the immune systems is weak. 

we should have looked after the elderly and care homes etc and just got on with everything else. 

Risk of death from Covid:

14 and under:  1 in 3.5 million 

90 and over:     1 in 70

Varying figures in between, increasing from around age 40. 

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Once you are over 90 virtually any disease can be fatal. I reckon 1 in 70 are pretty good odds.

2 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Sorry,

Do not believe any park owner allowed this 

The holiday parks had been closed by the owners, however last week because of the policy changes, some parks allowed a visit to be made to check the unit, but people needed to be of site by 5pm, no overnight stays.and social distancing rules to apply.

Until a few days before lockdown we owned a large park, therefore due to our contacts we have a pretty good idea what has been going on.  The new owner of ours has stuck strictly to the rules but others in  slightly more remote locations have not. I know the rules are less now but this was going on from the start.

Also we had a big problem with cockle gatherers coming down in mini buses and cars.  There is a limit as to how much you can gather for personal use, but these were organised and had up to five  5 kilo  buckets in their car boots.  At one stage there were about 100 people and some had 'yokes' on with a bucket each side.  Apparently they sell for about £18 a kilo in London.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not in any way disputing the figures, but what exactly do they mean? 

Is that the death rate for those who have contracted it?  I'm surprised it's so low for 90+ but if that's the case - it's better than I would have imagined which is a good thing.  

Or is it the death rate as compared with the number of people over 90 in the population many of whom will be shielding and therefore likely to have had a lower incidence of contracting the virus?

I'm interested in the statistics but it's all in the interpretation - at the moment the saying 'there are lies,  d**ned lies and statistics' is frequently popping into mind!  

I get very confused! 🤔

34 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Until a few days before lockdown we owned a large park, therefore due to our contacts we have a pretty good idea what has been going on.  The new owner of ours has stuck strictly to the rules but others in  slightly more remote locations have not. I know the rules are less now but this was going on from the start.

Also we had a big problem with cockle gatherers coming down in mini buses and cars.  There is a limit as to how much you can gather for personal use, but these were organised and had up to five  5 kilo  buckets in their car boots.  At one stage there were about 100 people and some had 'yokes' on with a bucket each side.  Apparently they sell for about £18 a kilo in London.

When the shops are open!

12 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Is that the death rate for those who have contracted it?  I'm surprised it's so low for 90+ but if that's the case - it's better than I would have imagined which is a good thing.  

Or is it the death rate as compared with the number of people over 90 in the population many of whom will be shielding and therefore likely to have had a lower incidence of contracting the virus?

I'm interested in the statistics but it's all in the interpretation - at the moment the saying 'there are lies,  d**ned lies and statistics' is frequently popping into mind!  

I get very confused! 🤔

Good point. The figures seem to indicate that for every 70 people over 90 who get CV19, 69 will survive. I'd say that's a much better survival rate than, say pneumonia. 

9 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I get very confused! 🤔

Perfectly fair points.  It’s the rate for those testing positive with the virus, but there will inevitably have been a lot of extrapolation.

The essential point though is that any risks in the classroom are infinitely greater for older teachers than they are for the children.  Over 90s are an extreme case, but once you hit 45 or so the death rate rises considerably.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Over 90s are an extreme case, but once you hit 45 or so the death rate rises considerably.

Because the older you are, the more likely you will have underlying health issues, that will put you at risk from CV19, plus other illnesses as well.

What would be interesting to see, is the death rate by age group for those with no underlying issues. The rise in death rates by age would, I suspect, be markedly less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Because the older you are, the more likely you will have underlying health issues, that will put you at risk from CV19, plus other illnesses as well.

What would be interesting to see, is the death rate by age group for those with no underlying issues. The rise in death rates by age would, I suspect, be markedly less.

That’s almost certainly correct.

• Like 1

I’m waiting for a ‘fill in the blanks’ tool, where you start with age and gender & then complete questions on conditions, medication and lifestyle, press the Submit button & it magically gives your chance  of a) catching the virus b) needing hospital treatment c) dying

There are plenty which will give you your life expectancy, pre-Covid (mine was 93 🙄) but I think it would help everyone get a sense of perspective and learn to live normally again once this thing is “under control”

I don’t think the risk will ever be zero.  Life is a 100% terminal condition

Today’s thoughts. 

rother valley county park is busy on a Saturday when the suns out. Bad call

thinking my kids need me to walk with them while they ride- they don’t. They have left me. Now must find myself a bike 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Good point. The figures seem to indicate that for every 70 people over 90 who get CV19, 69 will survive. I'd say that's a much better survival rate than, say pneumonia. 

As you get older various risks increase. At 96, I'm more likely to be injured when I fall of my skateboard than when I was 20. 1 in 70 seems good odds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m waiting for a ‘fill in the blanks’ tool, where you start with age and gender & then complete questions on conditions, medication and lifestyle, press the Submit button & it magically gives your chance  of a) catching the virus b) needing hospital treatment c) dying

There are plenty which will give you your life expectancy, pre-Covid (mine was 93 🙄) but I think it would help everyone get a sense of perspective and learn to live normally again once this thing is “under control”

I don’t think the risk will ever be zero.  Life is a 100% terminal condition

The chance of popping your clogs eventually is greater that 1 in 70 😁

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

I don't mind dying... as long as I don't have to be there when it happens.:classic_unsure:

Maybe you can nominate someone to take your place.   Or phone a friend?  Don't look at me, I don’t know you that well😆

Avril 

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

I asked the local undertaker could you try before you die but he was having none of it .:classic_wink:

We did - seriously - do a deal with the local Co-operative Funeral Service, just before all this kicked off, for stripped down cremations at £1300 each all-in. They couldn’t quite match the best online price, but I know the Co-op has an excellent reputation.

Wouldn’t do us a BOGOF though..........

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We did - seriously - do a deal with the local Co-operative Funeral Service, just before all this kicked off, for stripped down cremations at £1300 each all-in. They couldn’t quite match the best online price, but I know the Co-op has an excellent reputation.

All that and Divi too. Bargain.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

We did the same Harry ,all paid for and nothing for our kids to worry about and we own a burial plot anyway .

Looking back it is turning out to be a good investment to what it would cost at today's prices .