The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 1/31/2023 at 10:27 AM, Iloveketo said:

Our first cruise with any cruise line was in January of 2020. I had the same concerns about judgmental people due to comments on FB Viking groups, especially concerning dress codes. I quit those groups. People, for the most part, feel free to be nastier online than in person. 

Before our next cruise in December of 2021 I rejoined those FB Viking groups only to discover them complaining about people like myself who prefer to travel with carry on only. So I have quit those FB groups again and only do Cruise Critics!

BTW We have done 5 Viking cruises and have met many very nice people!

Also keep in mind that only a tiny fraction of cruisers are on Cruise Critic. I find that I limit my time on here if I start feeling jaded or anxious. But there have been great tips all the same. 

DW and I loved our first 18 day Viking Ocean cruise last December and can’t wait to sail with Viking again. Just wonderful!

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

I don't think it's the same. There's sometimes a stop in Bali or similar so that goods purchased (alcohol etc) are duty free. But the majority of cruises are internal to Australia. So Aus port to Aus port only. 

Just did a quick search and Australia has a Coasting Trade Act 2012, although the Government has been contemplating amendments, easing some of the restrictions.

Based on a quick read, it is closer to the Canadian Coasting Trade Act than the US PVSA. Similar to Canada, foreign flag vessels can request a temporary permit to operate in the coastal trade. Provided no Australian flagged ships are available, I suspect applications are granted. This is similar to the R/T sailings out of Vancouver, which technically are in contravention of the Coasting Trade Act.

Therefore, in Australia, based on what I just read, shipowners can apply to the Minister to operate in the Coastal Trade with a foreign flagged ship, or they can stop in Bali, or another foreign port.

When I completed a full season Australian cruising, we never carried pax from 1 port to another. It was always R/T Sydney, with calls in SE Asia or South Pacific islands.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Just did a quick search and Australia has a Coasting Trade Act 2012, although the Government has been contemplating amendments, easing some of the restrictions.

Based on a quick read, it is closer to the Canadian Coasting Trade Act than the US PVSA. Similar to Canada, foreign flag vessels can request a temporary permit to operate in the coastal trade. Provided no Australian flagged ships are available, I suspect applications are granted. This is similar to the R/T sailings out of Vancouver, which technically are in contravention of the Coasting Trade Act.

Therefore, in Australia, based on what I just read, shipowners can apply to the Minister to operate in the Coastal Trade with a foreign flagged ship, or they can stop in Bali, or another foreign port.

When I completed a full season Australian cruising, we never carried pax from 1 port to another. It was always R/T Sydney, with calls in SE Asia or South Pacific islands.

It's a very popular holiday experience to do three or four day trips from one capital to another. My first one was on QM2 from Adelaide to Melbourne to Sydney. On the way we passed this magnificent vessel. 

They set off a cannonball and we blasted with our horn. This was my movie

And this was from The Endeavour. I can see me when it zooms in. 

Huzzah!

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, deec said:

Has anyone heard rumors about a more robust Explore Society program?

No but I for one would not like to see it.  And we have a few days onboard.  Having seen the pushiness and gross self importance of those who have Black Cards, 5 Stars, etc.  I have Diamond with Cunard and best I can tell it gets me invited to a dull party, a glass of something warm and bubbly, and a limp handshake from the Captain.  Now if they want to give larger amounts of OBC, or discounts of 20% on cabin rates now yer talkin".  Keep your pins, cards, ball caps 😱 or other outward shows of "status".  One of the things we enjoy about Viking.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

No but I for one would not like to see it.  And we have a few days onboard.  Having seen the pushiness and gross self importance of those who have Black Cards, 5 Stars, etc.  I have Diamond with Cunard and best I can tell it gets me invited to a dull party, a glass of something warm and bubbly, and a limp handshake from the Captain.  Now if they want to give larger amounts of OBC, or discounts of 20% on cabin rates now yer talkin".  Keep your pins, cards, ball caps 😱 or other outward shows of "status".  One of the things we enjoy about Viking.

Good point, Jim!  Hadn't thought of that - but no doubt given some of the self-entitled elitist personalities that exist (even on Viking cruises), that certainly would amplify it.   I change my mind to being against it.  The cons outweigh the pros.

• Like 4

I'll wait to see what is being offered before I decide one way or another but on the whole, I agree with Jim: show me a program with true financial rewards not frou-frou and parties.  Even raising the current reward to $500 would be a step in the right direction. They haven't raised the rewards since I started sailing with them. It's about time they did, considering how much fares have gone up since they instituted the Explorer's Club.

• Like 7

Speaking of rumors.  A Viking travel consultant told me that they are ending the 6 month out final payment plan no matter how many other cruises you have booked.  Also the TripMate travel protection plan is being changed to allow vouchers to be insurable.  And TripMate must be added before final payment instead of before the 120 day cancellation period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Speaking of rumors.  A Viking travel consultant told me that they are ending the 6 month out final payment plan no matter how many other cruises you have booked.  Also the TripMate travel protection plan is being changed to allow vouchers to be insurable.  And TripMate must be added before final payment instead of before the 120 day cancellation period. 

Viking seems to have the longest final payment period of all cruise lines when they allowed 6 months never mind a year! I guess it is working for them?!

The Tripmate change to include vouchers would be a positive!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Jim - So true, as that was our experience as Elite on Princess. Invite to a crummy party where non-diluted drinks are rare, some free (ultra-slow) wifi and free fabric bleaching (I believe they may have called it laundry service) - sorry not interested. When > 1/2 a Princess ship is Elite, with Viking's repeat pax percentage, the higher level would have a higher percentage on Viking.

If they want to recognise those of us with more days, increase the discount, delay the payment in full dates, provide access to competent customer service staff ashore, etc.

Based on my heritage, my vote is for increased discount.😁

Since this is the Explorers Lounge and the sun will be at the yardarm in a few hours, I think I'll start with a rather hoppy West Coast IPA, followed up with an Irish Stout, if you please barman.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - So true, as that was our experience as Elite on Princess. Invite to a crummy party where non-diluted drinks are rare, some free (ultra-slow) wifi and free fabric bleaching (I believe they may have called it laundry service) - sorry not interested. When > 1/2 a Princess ship is Elite, with Viking's repeat pax percentage, the higher level would have a higher percentage on Viking.

If they want to recognise those of us with more days, increase the discount, delay the payment in full dates, provide access to competent customer service staff ashore, etc.

Based on my heritage, my vote is for increased discount.😁

Since this is the Explorers Lounge and the sun will be at the yardarm in a few hours, I think I'll start with a rather hoppy West Coast IPA, followed up with an Irish Stout, if you please barman.

Andy -

Being an IPA lover, what is your choice tonight for your hoppy West Coast IPA?

• Like 1

Huge advantage for Aussies and Brits. We don't pay the final payment until 3 months out. Our consumer laws prevent any longer. If using a TA it's different. Our tips are always included in the fare and which is higher as a result. We lose our deposit but just last week was successful in transferring one cruise to another. 

The cruise next month is our first Explorer society meeting. Sounds like I can safely miss it? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Andy -

Being an IPA lover, what is your choice tonight for your hoppy West Coast IPA?

Kent - I am presently sipping a rather pleasant Destiny IPA from Fuggles & Warlock Brewery, Richmond BC.

Only 62 IBU, but it is a healthy 8.8%.

Donated by SIL, as he isn't partial to the really hoppy IPA's. He prefers them fruity with lots of Citra hops.