What makes best luggage

Sandra1616

Hi there

I noticed on Amazon and at The Bay and Walmart there is a lot of luggage possibilities out there including colours and sets.  Any problem free or extra handy brands?  What makes the best luggage?  Is hard shell or soft shell much better than the other? Then there are the number of wheels to consider, and colour.  Are there any bonus features to add on, or to consider.   I want to find my luggage easily, if I take it on a plane or on and after  cruise embarkment. I am thinking of large colorful tags.     I won't be going anywhere, until the virus is over though.

Sandra

12 minutes ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

I noticed on Amazon and at The Bay and Walmart there is a lot of luggage possibilities out there including colours and sets.  Any problem free or extra handy brands?  What makes the best luggage?  Is hard shell or soft shell much better than the other? Then there are the number of wheels to consider, and colour.  Are there any bonus features to add on, or to consider.   I want to find my luggage easily, if I take it on a plane or on and after  cruise embarkment. I am thinking of large colorful tags.     I won't be going anywhere, until the virus is over though.

Sandra

Howdy Sandra! emo22.gif 

Here are some Cruise Critic articles that may be helpful:

Best Luggage for Cruise Travel

Best Cruise Carry-On Luggage for Those Who Travel Light

TSA-Friendly Travel Gear for Your Next Cruise

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 5

I usually start here  https://www.ebags.com/department/luggage

I like hard case and I find 4 wheel spinners to be the easiest to get thru the airport.

My luggage is black, but they have lime green strips down them and the spinner wheels are lime green. I can spot my luggage a mile a way.

I also find that you don't want to spend a ton of money on luggage either. No matter the brand or how expensive, they might survive 10 trips, they might only survive 1 trip.

• Like 4

On 3/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

Sandra

Briggs & Reily - Lifetime no quibble repair guarantee - 

And they have a sale on now.

We travel carryon only.  We have specific criteria.  Hard side.  Spinner wheels.  Handle on side as well as top.  Expandable.  Interior must have one side that zips closed.  I prefer two, or if only one side has a zipper, the other has a cover that encloses the items there, more than the criss-cross elastic.  Must be a color other than black.  The brighter the better.  WE don't buy expensive.  I have a Revo bag with both compartments inside with zippers.  It is bright orange, and I bought it about 80% off in a department store.  EM

• Like 1

Luggage is pretty personal choice -  from years of business travel I like a two wheel bag (4 wheels are a pain on uneven or carpeted surfaces and the wheels are particularly vulnerable to breaking off).  Next is weight of the bag - we travel carry on only whenever feasible so I need to heft it over my head on the plane.  I have used TravelPro and am happy with the quality - last bag lasted almost 500000 miles (checked when it contained books and papers).

1. My experience is that, in terms of durability, you get what you pay for.

2. For carry-on baggage, check the airlines' (latest!) maximum measurements and buy one that has two wheels, recessed as much as possible into the body of the case,  and that is as close to those measurements (take a marked tape measure) as possible. That way, you maximize the usable space inside the box.
3. Do not buy right before you travel or you may be rushed into something that quickly reveals it is sub-standard.

4. If the baggage handler don't get you, those curbs and steps will ruin the tiny axles that the wheels spin on, if you don't take care there.

5. Remove any debris from the wheel hubs and add a tiny drop of oil to them to keep the case easy to pull along, as well as on the two handle extenders (they can rust and jam up after they get wet).   

Personal choice, no doubt.  I have 26" soft sides luggage, with 4 spinner wheels.  I had a 32" one, when packed, too much for me.  Donated to a fund raiser.  My 26" one, packed, never over 50 lbs.  I take long cruises, rarely under 20 days, usually more than one climate.  I've been lucky so far, no issues with it.  Being older, by myself, I want one bag I can manage on my own, getting to and from an airport or like last year, in England, from the airport to the bus.  I want to be independent.  

I prefer a wheeled duffle bag since I use packing cubes and compression sacks to organize my luggage. The duffle has straps to be worn as a back pack.  My carry on bag is a backpack.  If needed, I am physically able to carry wear both bags with one on my chest and the other on my back across unpaved surfaces such as beach sand or a gravel path.  I have been a backpacker since my elementary days when I started using small stuff sacks to organize my trek pack.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a longtime road warrior (extensive business travel.)  I prefer Travelpro Maxlite luggage.  It lasts forever.  I have 4 wheel spinners and since mine are the coastal blue color, I put a vinyl cover on them if they will be checked.  I bought the 26", the International carryon and the 22" roll aboard.  The large suitcase with either of these carryons is more space than I will ever need.  In fact I brought back a whole set of crystal in the international carryon last November as everything else I had fit easily. in the big suitcase with room to spare.

I’ve had a Ricardo two wheel case for 15 ish years.  Eventually bought a Ricardo 4 wheel spinner and love it.  Easier to maneuver usually, but occasionally depending on the carpet, I have to lay it back and use as a two wheel.  Also bought my stepdaughter a 4 wheel spinner for Christmas two years ago and she loves it.  I’m going to attach a photo because it is so pretty.  

B69F5B76-202C-40F8-92F0-2F8B1AE60B79.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hard case is way better if you have fragile items but a pain when you want to store it in a small cabin on the ship.

Soft cases or a duffle bag would be a better choice for me. I find 4 wheels much easier. Carry on is always a backpack.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, SbbquilterUT said:

Luggage is pretty personal choice -  from years of business travel I like a two wheel bag (4 wheels are a pain on uneven or carpeted surfaces and the wheels are particularly vulnerable to breaking off).  Next is weight of the bag - we travel carry on only whenever feasible so I need to heft it over my head on the plane.  I have used TravelPro and am happy with the quality - last bag lasted almost 500000 miles (checked when it contained books and papers).

+1 on that comment.  All of my suitcases but 1 have 2 wheels which are of a decent size so they roll over stuff.  My wife needed a new suitcase and she insisted on a 4 wheel suitcase.  I understand that it is nice that you can push it and it will not fall over but that is the only positive.  To me, the negatives far out weigh the positives.  Tiny wheels that hang up on everything and try using it on uneven surfaces outside of the airport.

I will also add that stuff sacks are great for organizing stuff and if you have jackets and largish stuff such as jackets, compression stuff sacks are just wonderful.  It is amazing how much you can force into a compression stuff sack - https://www.rei.com/product/766677/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-compression-sack#product-reviews.  I will bet that I could pack almost enough for a longish trip into 2 of these compression sacks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

Sandra

I travel a lot internationally.  I prefer hard side, 4 wheel spinners.  A case can be made for 2 wheel models if you are going to be dragging them over uneven surfaces.

I have had a number brands, but find that the more expensive ones tend to be better.  They last longer.  But eventually, they will all get damaged if you travel a lot.

My latest are Briggs and Riley.  NOT cheap, but lifetime warranty.  For ANY issues.  Even if the airline damages is, they will repair or replace.  So far, I have had no issues with mine.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Thanks everyone.  I bought soft sided 4 wheeled AiR Canada luggage with lots of space.  Now I just need unique tags.

Head over to your local dollar store, purchase a vinyl placemat (the 3D ones are really nice) and cut out the design you want.  Punch a hole in it and voila, your unique tag.  Using permanent marker, I put our last name on the back along with my cell phone number, nothing more.   No need to spend a bunch of money on luggage tags when you can create your own.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Originally we were going to be driving to the ports for our cruises then all of this mess started. There were no ships or itineraries we preferred for the next window so we have to fly. Our cheap dufflebag luggage would probably hold up to airline baggage handlers, but I don't want to risk it. We have been watching for deals on hardsided spinner luggage. We got one 28" off Amazon for $80, a 28" and 20" carryon from BJ's for $100. We are waiting for Prime Day and BF for the last set. 

Flying will put a limit on space and weight unlike driving. Everything is going to have to fit in 1 suitcase and carryon. So far in test packing I think there is more than enough space. Weight will be the bigger issue. I am making a list of items that we can purchase the day before (sunscreen, shampoo, bodywash, lotion, aloe, etc). All of the stuff that has unnecessary weight.

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When we fly in the day before a cruise, we wait til we are in our hotel and then buy the toiletries that are not only heavy, but possibly leaky, as well, such as mouthwash and sunscreen.

I do that as well for most items for most cruises.  When I was planning for my world cruise, I am very "picky" about the brand of eye drops that I use as well as the brand/type of deodorant and toothpaste.  I had "free luggage shipping" for a certain number of bags/boxes.  I packed a box with the number of those items mentioned that I estimated I would need during the cruise and had that delivered to the ship.  (I over-estimated only on the eye drops, but ended up almost "on target" for everything else.)

I'll never forget the reaction of the Manager of my drug store when I told him the number of boxes of eye drops I wanted to buy!  

Edited by rkacruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, SbbquilterUT said:

+1 on this comment.  4 wheel bags may be good on smooth surfaces but they are awful on a any other type of surface.  True that you can pull 4 wheel bags as if they are 2 wheelers but because the wheels are tiny, they are still hard to pull on any type of uneven surface.  My wife insisted on buying 4 wheelers for herself and then she always sticks me with pulling the damn things.

DON

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

True that you can pull 4 wheel bags as if they are 2 wheelers but because the wheels are tiny, they are still hard to pull on any type of uneven surface.

My oldest American Tourister hard sided luggage has small wheels and they are much more difficult to pull over any type of surface than my newer luggage is with the larger wheels. 

Maybe the 4 wheel luggage's wheels will "grow" as travelers discover that they are still "not the best of all possible worlds"?   

On 10/4/2020 at 12:35 PM, donaldsc said:

+1 on this comment.  4 wheel bags may be good on smooth surfaces but they are awful on a any other type of surface.  True that you can pull 4 wheel bags as if they are 2 wheelers but because the wheels are tiny, they are still hard to pull on any type of uneven surface.  My wife insisted on buying 4 wheelers for herself and then she always sticks me with pulling the damn things.

DON

For a few years I was a road warrior lugging various Kirkland and then a BR and evaluated a TUMI.

As another poster suggested you get what you pay for but some of the higher end are overkill.  

The better four wheels were very durable and can go over rough surfaces.  If you are talking off road / payment like perhaps you need to consider the larger dual roller but trust me most places you'll be liking the 4 wheeler.

For the OP, try Kirkland brand they are best bang for buck.

"I want to find my luggage easily"

We use these bright yellow luggage straps with our last names spelled our in big bold letters.   We can see them a mile away.   Of course, if you all adopt this then there will be a sea of luggage with bright yellow straps and we will have to go to plan B.  Haha

The way we looked at luggage took a dramatic turn when they adopted tighter weight limits and fees.   We went from wanting solid bullet proof bags to light weight stuff.  As far as the current focus on light-weight luggage goes, it seems there are a couple schools of thought.  Buy inexpensive and replace every few trips, or buy more expensive brands and hopefully replace less often.    

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

We use these bright yellow luggage straps with our last names spelled our in big bold letters.   We can see them a mile away.

I have done this as well although my straps were a bright orange.  Really helped and always worked except once.  One bag arrived on the baggage carousel minus its strap.  The bag was still locked (this was pre-TSA), so no one had been in the suitcase.  How it came loose, I have always wondered.