Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

So, the medical staff was under the impression that the passenger had bronchitis, not COVID-19 and that's why they decided to keep quiet about it?

The news report says she was not asked to quarantine when she first reported symptoms.  I assume they eventually asked her to quarantine after the symptoms got bad enough that she needed to immediately go to the hospital after docking.

The other passengers will be glad they were able to get off the ship without the multi-day long delays that would have happened if this had been reported, but this might cause problems with future cruises if the ports can't trust what the cruise ships report on passenger status.

Is this still a major problem for Celebrity if the cruise medical staff just says they thought it was bronchitis and Celebrity corporate and the ship captain say they had no idea about it because they were never informed of the issue until after the fact?

Edited by Jaxweb
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

Seems the patient was under care so not much contact other than with med staff... but the crew  members ..wonder where they were on the ship?

That's exactly what I am trying to find out for good friends which were on this cruise.  They are not active on CC, but I am.  So if anyone gets information about the crew members affected and their duty stations, that would be great!

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Or the captain hadn't been advised otherwise by the medical staff. If there was no diagnosis of possible COVID-19, they may not have seen a need to report. It's too soon IMO to be pointing fingers in any direction. There is sure to be more details forthcoming that will provide a far better idea of what happened than the scant information available to date. 

Your kidding yourself, the Captain not knowing of a passenger & crew members of having symptoms of the virus. In normal times a passenger with signs of norovirus are quarantined to their cabins. With a worldwide pandemic of covid-19 & the Captain not being informed of multiple cases of respiratory illness? Your kidding yourself. The Captain is 100% responsible

• Like 7

Boy this is a tough one and I understand the OP's frustration. Just an unfortunate situation. I truly hope you stay healthy and well.

Please we all need to understand that on the whole, this is a very fluid situation. We are now learning that it can take three weeks for a person to show symptoms after they are infected. All things can change as we learn more, including the incubation period.

A sincere wish health for all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Boy this is a tough one and I understand the OP's frustration. Just an unfortunate situation. I truly hope you stay healthy and well.

Please we all need to understand that on the whole, this is a very fluid situation. We are now learning that it can take three weeks for a person to show symptoms after they are infected. All things can change as we learn more, including the incubation period.

Three weeks? Where was that stated? If that were true then we would be having 21 day quarantines not 14.

6 minutes ago, FOXTROT said:

Your kidding yourself, the Captain not knowing of a passenger & crew members of having symptoms of the virus. In normal times a passenger with signs of norovirus are quarantined to their cabins. With a worldwide pandemic of covid-19 & the Captain not being informed of multiple cases of respiratory illness? Your kidding yourself. The Captain is 100% responsible

I understand your frustration and undoubted fear for your own health. Maybe in time you'll be proven right, but I think that an objective review of the information available at this time doesn't lead to this definitive conclusion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FOXTROT said:

Captain Leo kept saying "no one is sick with the virus, we are a healthy ship." Little did we know a passenger & crew members had all the symptoms of the virus. I am sure the Captain was under orders from Miami to lie to us.

Well, to play devil's advocate, if those were his exact words, "no one is sick with the virus", as far as he knew, no one was. He likely knew about the sick passenger but did not know she had the virus, no one did until she got tested. That being said, precautions should have been taken and passengers advised that someone was sick, but they didn't know with what. The fact that crew were sick too though compounds the problem and makes this lack of transparency even more disturbing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Three weeks? Where was that stated? If that were true then we would be having 21 day quarantines not 14.

Correct.  No one is saying 3 weeks incubation period.

97.5% of incidence is present in ll.5 days or less.  This is why they use the 14 day quarantine standard.

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

Well, to play devil's advocate, if those were his exact words, "no one is sick with the virus", as far as he knew, no one was. He likely knew about the sick passenger but did not know she had the virus, no one did until she got tested. That being said, precautions should have been taken and passengers advised that someone was sick, but they didn't know with what. The fact that crew were sick too though compounds the problem and makes this lack of transparency even more disturbing.

That still would be wrong.  To be technically correct, he would need to say no one is known to have the virus.  To say they don't have it, they would need to have a negative test result especially if they had any or multiple related symptoms.

They should not be playing misleading word games with semantics anyway.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

You are right that it is a fluid situation. 

Unfortunately it it has absolutely nothing to do with the egregious behavior on the part of the medical staff, Captain Leo , Celebrity OR all of the above. Given the 24 hour non stop reporting of the pandemic and the difficulty of finding a port that would allow the ship to port, there is no way any reasonable person would not come to the conclusion that the passenger and crew may have Covid-19. The fact that there was not a positive test while on board is not an excuse for this complete failure on the part of Celebrity. 

Unfortunately when when the investigation is final, Captain Leo is ultimately responsible for what happens on his ship. 

One other point to remember is that there are still some 200+ passengers plus crew still on board and were to head to Acapulco for final debarkation. Does anyone know if this is still the plan?  Celebrity may have a Zandaam and Rotterdam on their hands. 

• Like 5

A lot of cruise ships are reporting cases of COVID19 on board and part of the reason people and authorities are looking at cruise ships as human petri dishes and wont allow them to dock in any of their ports making them ghost ships. Australia has loads of them just sitting off the coast despite telling them to go home.

The industry is going to have its work cut out restoring confidence once this has blown over.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Unfortunately when when the investigation is final, Captain Leo is ultimately responsible for what happens on his ship. 

Yeah I think it would be the case too even if he really knew nothing about it.  Ultimately it is his watch.

4 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

What if Celebrity management says they were oblivious to the issue because the medical staff didn't report it to anyone else?

They can say they will retrain the medical staff on procedures and promise to handle any similar situations differently next time.

Facts contradict this.  I was out on the balcony as we pulled in during the wee hours.  Ambulance was already waiting and looked like it had been there awhile.

Edited by Beachin2
fat fingers
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

What if Celebrity management says they were oblivious to the issue because the medical staff didn't report it to anyone else?

They can say they will retrain the medical staff on procedures and promise to handle any similar situations differently next time.

We have a pattern, with X's website claiming that the Summit infections were a rumor, despite local counts and news reporting otherwise.  They no longer get the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

Then that would be just one more unbelievable excuse. There's no way, in the current situation, that the medical staff would not have reported the sick patient to the captain, if only to cover their own ….. 

I'm really angry about this one.   We've made excuses for Celebrity, and the entire cruise industry, to ourselves, our families, our friends for the last 2 months, but believe this is the final straw.   Celebrity let passengers loose in my community, in thousands of their (passenger's) home communities, without full knowledge of the facts about their risks.   There will be a ripple effect of hundreds, if not thousands, of cases directly leading back to this decision on the part of Celebrity management.   

Edited by Kartgv
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Facts contradict this.  I was out on the balcony as we pulled in during the wee hours.  Ambulance was already waiting and looked like it had been there awhile.

Reports say the ambulance was called over heart problems and, after the hospital did a COVID-19 test, it came back positive.

They could have still told management that they have no suspected cases of COVID-19.

• Like 1

I think more details will come out tomorrow so we can find the complete story of what happened.

If it turns out they were lying and involved in a cover-up, Celebrity will be heavily criticized.

However, it's still possible at this point that there was just a mix up and human error of some kind.

I'm pretty sure this will be cleared up one way or another within 24 hours.

4 hours ago, El turista said:

I was on this ship. They told us we were a healthy ship until the very last minute before debarkation began yesterday. I'm not showing symptoms at the moment but I am feeling quite scared.

Wishing you good health.  Perhaps it would be a good time to step back a bit and take good care of yourself to reduce stress levels.  There may be links showing stress weakening the immune system https://www.apa.org/research/action/immune

Of course self isolate but this is a case where there is no time machine (I wish there were) so please eat healthy, do happy things to stay busy, sleep plenty, and call your most cheerful optimist friends & family.

• Like 3

I'm of the opinion Covid19 was suspected.  Keeping everyone onboard with nowhere to go is horrible.  Letting pax disembark equally horrible.  Damned if you do; damned if you don't.  The only thing I can control is my own behavior so have decided to forego cruising until there is a vaccine.  Then I won't have to trust a cruise line to watch out so solicitously for pax and crew.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Now all these people are scattered to the winds potentially infecting hundreds.

Well I am hopeful that with all of the stay-at-home orders in affect across the country, except Florida SMDH, perhaps those passenger will have the opportunity to expose far fewer people.  The passengers came home to a completely different world...one where people just aren't out and about like they used to be.

15 hours ago, FOXTROT said:

Just home from the March 1- 30 sailing of the Eclipse. We were told NO ONE was sick with the virus. Now we found out a passenger has tested positive with the virus. The passenger was diagnosed by the ship's doctor with bronchitis about a week ago. They were sent back to their cabin. Then the passenger was diagnosed with pneumonia several days ago. Upon arriving home the passenger has tested positive with the virus. Way to go Celebrity for exposing 4,000 passengers & crew to the virus. Way to go Celebrity for sending thousands home exposing who knows how many to this. You are always saying the health & safety of our passengers is #1 to us. Looks like your bottom line is #1. Anyone who had symptoms of any breathing disorder should have been confined to their cabins. This passenger should have been tested before anyone was permitted to debark the ship.    

OP, this is a very concerning situation.  Many of us followed your plight here on CC as you searched for a home port.  I am happy for your safe arrival and wish you well and you begin your quarantine.

I'm wondering about one of the posted news reports in this thread which indicated that the passengers were screened prior to disembarkation.  Is that what you experienced?  They also showed flyers that appeared to be handed out to passengers with details about self-quarantine and Covid-19 symptoms.  Can you give a little more detail about your debarkation process?  

• Like 1