Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

25 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I saw a thread on Air Tags and thought with all that is going on with flying, this might be a good time to invest in some.  It would also help in finding the luggage in the hallway once on board the ship.  I think I remember @Sea Dog Greg using them.  Are they worth it?

I saw the same thread and thought the same thing. Great minds think alike.

847304106_ScreenShot2022-12-29at9_17_18AM.thumb.png.776bfe29d944c60d894d0a21030a2960.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm beginning to dread our vacation to Disney in 3 weeks. First time flying since Covid. Seems everyone is getting sick again after traveling.

If this doesn't go well I fear my Wife will ground us for other upcoming planned vacations. 😞

We are flying from Roanoke/Blacksburg Airport, 1st time for us from there.  Flying for the first time on Allegiant Airlines too. 

We do have 2 direct flights though from smaller Airports, one from Roanoke(ROA) to Orlando Stanford (SFB), then flying home from St. Petersburg/Clearwater(PIE) to Roanoke(ROA) after visiting some relatives in Bradenton.

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh my, Allegiant is a bit of a deal.  They are definitely a budget budget airline.  I used to fly them all the time when we still owned a home and other property up in Canada.  They were the only airline that flew direct into Bellingham WA out of a few different locations in CA.  I could be at our house in Langley BC in 30 minutes from there which is much more convenient than flying to Seattle and driving up or connecting in Seattle and having to wait for the connection.  There seats were terribly uncomfortable and they charge for everything.  Bags, carry on, even soda if I remember right.  That being said, they always got me where I was going, so no complaints on that front.

You need to be careful with Allegiant (or Southwest, or Frontier) since they don't share with other airlines.  If your flight is cancelled/delayed for any reason, they will only rebook you on another of their own flights.  No jumping on the next Delta or American flight unless you pay last minute one-way rates out of pocket.  I'm guessing you won't have much flexibility Jimbo flying out of ROA.  I would definitely have a backup plan in place just in case.

Like Dave, we've flown them a few times from Cincinnati to various Florida airports and never had a problem.  Friends of ours though had to cancel a long weekend Key West trip because their Allegiant flight couldn't fly (mechanical issue after they had already boarded).  I also agree with Dave on Allegiant being a budget budget airline.  They are more like flying buses.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You can tell that the east coast people get up much earlier than those west coasters.  

I was up, and did a five mile walk with my daughter before 7am.  Then some pool time and beach time for sandcastle building 101 with our east coast grandkids. 

7675B0CA-262C-4E78-96BF-6670AAD021D9.thumb.jpeg.1ce5e39cba7b643394432ed2cc450716.jpeg

We had this built and were back to the house, just as our west coast grandson got up. 🤣🤣

We spent the last couple weeks on the west coast of Fl watching grandkids. At 7am, it was pitch black, didn't start to get light till about 730. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks, made it home... I was on that 3:30 flight.  We pulled away from the gate just a little after 4pm

I typically use Alaska when flying up and down the coast and try to use Delta for all east west flights.  I booked this flight only because I had credit to burn.  The original plan was for my sister, with her grandson who she raises, to come down here for Christmas.  We booked and paid for the tickets.  Unfortunately, she couldn't get herself organized enough to get a passport before it was too late.  Knowing my sister like I do, I had feared that this might happen so I booked tickets with SW because they have liberal cancel and exchange policies.  They allow you to cancel and to transfer the tix someone else's SW account. Hence, how I ended up with SW credit. 

I still have some credit left. I'm not sure if I'm just going to let it expire or if I'll use it towards a flight later in the year.  We'll see how things develop of the next while.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh and that made me chuckle. I woke up this morning sick as a dog.  Sinus and chest congestion as bad as I ve had in a long while.  It was just a tiny little sniffle last night.  It exploded while I was sleeping.  I plan on being miserable for several days.  So much for NYE

It was interesting, when we all lined up for the cattle call boarding, there was an extra line of SW employee's that lined up opposite of us.  They must have boarded over 30 pilots and flight attendants before letting us board the plane.  Clearly, three days later, they still have a bunch of employee's in the wrong location.

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

Thanks Graham.

My wife says I'm a big baby when I get sick... I'm trying to argue that I don't complain when it's a minor thing like her so it just seems like I'm a big baby because  I only complain when it's really  bad.  She not having any of that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh my, Allegiant is a bit of a deal.  They are definitely a budget budget airline.  I used to fly them all the time when we still owned a home and other property up in Canada.  They were the only airline that flew direct into Bellingham WA out of a few different locations in CA.  I could be at our house in Langley BC in 30 minutes from there which is much more convenient than flying to Seattle and driving up or connecting in Seattle and having to wait for the connection.  There seats were terribly uncomfortable and they charge for everything.  Bags, carry on, even soda if I remember right.  That being said, they always got me where I was going, so no complaints on that front.

Yeah I heard that about them but they were the only ones nearby flying non stops.  Paying for 2 flights with one bag for each of us(both flights)  $575 total which includes picking our seats. Thought we would give in a try...........Only saw connecting flights with really high prices from Charlotte which we though were strange for our dates.

Roanoke is only 1 hour away, while Charlotte is 2 1/2 hours away..........Washington DC almost  5 hours away, so not a lot of choices here. Greensboro another 2 hours away.

Flight time is only about 1 hour 45 minutes..........just hopefully weather will be fine and we get off on time without a delay. Plane isn't very full, but from what I have researched a lot of their flights aren't full but they still fly no matter how many onboard. Time will tell how we make out.

• Like 3

Well floor is finished now...I have not put sealer on yet.Probably going to wait until total project is done.

Here are some pics.

20221229_121032.jpg

20221229_120947.jpg

20221229_120958.jpg

We also had them put some on the tiny strip on the wall to the right and left of the cabinets by the microwave.

20221229_130227.jpg

20221229_130239.jpg

Also on the other side pantry cabinets

20221229_130301.jpg

20221229_120958.jpg

20221229_120908.jpg

20221229_120903.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 19

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah I heard that about them but they were the only ones nearby flying non stops.  Paying for 2 flights with one bag for each of us(both flights)  $575 total which includes picking our seats. Thought we would give in a try...........Only saw connecting flights with really high prices from Charlotte which we though were strange for our dates.

Roanoke is only 1 hour away, while Charlotte is 2 1/2 hours away..........Washington DC almost  5 hours away, so not a lot of choices here. Greensboro another 2 hours away.

Flight time is only about 1 hour 45 minutes..........just hopefully weather will be fine and we get off on time without a delay. Plane isn't very full, but from what I have researched a lot of their flights aren't full but they still fly no matter how many onboard. Time will tell how we make out.

They were inexpensive.  That was another reason why I used them so much.  We would sometime be able to get Oakland -> Seattle and return for as little as $49 each way.  Rarely would I pay more than $99 each way.  When I was working in SoCal, which was often.  They had three airports for me to choose from, LAX, Palm Springs, and San Diego that flew directly into Bellingham. I purchased a small carryon that was exactly the size of the maximum size they allowed for your free personal item.  It was basically the size of a really fat briefcase.  It would fit under seat in front of me. Often my trips up and back were short and I could usually just stuff that little bag full and avoid paying the bag fees. 

I realized in my previous post I sounded kind of negative. That wasn't fair. I probably flew at least 50 times with them over a three or four year stretch and for my purposes they worked great. Except for one snafu got me where I intended to go every time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Got my cruise docs today. That makes things a bit more real.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your feet! Enjoy and have a great time.

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I saw a thread on Air Tags and thought with all that is going on with flying, this might be a good time to invest in some.  It would also help in finding the luggage in the hallway once on board the ship.  I think I remember @Sea Dog Greg using them.  Are they worth it?

Yes and I highly recommend them. Not only are they good for luggage but wallets and car keys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

They rely on being near someone with an iPhone so if there's no iPhone nearby, you won't see a real time location. 

So if your bag is in the hallway and someone with an iPhone walks by it, I assume it would mark the spot even if the iPhone is not there any longer and as long as the bag is not moved. 

Could you quickly walk down the hall with an IPhone then check the app and find it?

52 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your feet! Enjoy and have a great time.

Yes and I highly recommend them. Not only are they good for luggage but wallets and car keys.

What is the cost of an air tag and can I use it with an android phone?

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@xpcdoojkso sorry to hear how sick you were for Christmas.  Not Covid in our house, but pretty sick household.  Quietest Christmas and Christmas Eve.  Luckily, all are finally on the mend. 

I so wanted to hug my grandsons last night before we headed for Florida.  He put on his hoodie and a mask and we had the bestest hug ever!  Man, I love these kids!!!💕

Maryann, safe travels as you and Jim head down to FL. Glad to read all are on the mend!

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I tried last year but there were at least 50 people in line outside. 
They would let one person in as one came out. 
I quickly gave up!

I go every year and never encounter a line.  Of course, it's busy inside but not too terrible.  I hate that all their deeply discounted stuff is not their usual stock but items brought in from other places. However, I managed to buy $60 worth of stuff for $15.50.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks Dani. 🙂 

Cruise Critic will keep me entertained for the next couple of days.  

Andrew is doing a "live" I have that...

Feel better fast!  Going to check on Andrew's thread now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Airtags do not work with Android phones. Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and SmartTag Plus do work with Android phones and basically provides the same kind of location.

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have just purchased some on Amazon.  4 packs were $99.  Unfortunately they don't work with Non-apple devices.

I used products from here but it didn't much success with them but I bought the cheapest one they had... The may have product that is more similar to Airtags

https://www.tile.com/blog/does-airtag-work-with-android

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So if your bag is in the hallway and someone with an iPhone walks by it, I assume it would mark the spot even if the iPhone is not there any longer and as long as the bag is not moved. 

Could you quickly walk down the hall with an IPhone then check the app and find it?

I would guess the phone would neeed to be online to the internet to pass the info to the cloud.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@LuckynanaMaryann- hang in there. That drive to FL is no picnic.

My hubby and I drove I95 many times round trip NY to FL.

I was always glad when we arrived on Hutchinson Island.

Hoping the remainder of your trip goes well.

Safe travels,

MJ🙋🏻

I drove to Florida in 1976 when my job moved there. At that time I95 was not complete through Georga,  so a lot of US1 was involved. Swore I would never make that trip again.

I95 still had a section not complete here, but the Florida Turnpike was close so it wasn't too bad an alterrnate.

When I got transfered to Connecticut in 1999,  company flew us and shipped the cars.

We moved back to Florida in 2014, we flew and shipped the cars.  I know a lot of people use the autotrain , I believe from Virgina to Orlando area.

• Like 1