Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

You know its cold when as a Canadian you can let your American friends know what temperature it is where you live and you don't have to convert it to Fahrenheit and its the same as what you are at in Celsius.  That's -40 degrees.  We didn't quite get there but with the wind chill last night it was close. Thank goodness in 24 hours we will be back up to just above freezing.

• Like 15

I'm excited, we booked our cruises for next year: Costa By Carnival's Venezia (April 2024)...a brand-new ship (currently being refitted in the shipyard, last I heard) and Celebrity Solstice (October 2024).

The Venezia is going to Amber Cove, Turks And Caicos, Puerto Rico, and Half Moon Cay and leaves from Manhattan.

The Solstice leaves from Vancouver and goes to Kailua-Kona, Hilo, Lahaina (Maui), and Honolulu (Oahu),

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 13

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have to say with age my feelings about snow have declined. As for the blowing, that’s tomorrow’s job. I’ll be sending it 60-80 feet, but I’d prefer to send it to April or May. The snow squall advisories have finally ended, after 14 plus hours but the cold is here for another 24 hours.

For me it’s enough, as my mom says it’s gotten a bit cold. Boo to her I say. 😂

I forgot to mention one thing. I kinda agree with you. While I do love a good winter, maybe not as much as I used to. Fortunately, in my corner of NY, a "real winter" is only 2 months on average (Jan & Feb), give or take a few weeks on either end.  Even the big March snowstorms tend to melt fairly quick with the stronger and longer sunlight. In fact, March tends to be my least favorite month. Not warm enough to be spring, but the winter fun is almost over. Everything is kinda mucky, muddy and messy, and with perpetual spring break vacations everywhere, travel is expensive and crowded.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I don’t think I have ever seen it this cold here before, from -2.5 to -10.4 in only two hours. 

BABA3DF6-2715-4711-9C7D-B7E24CBB6C77.thumb.jpeg.0c323b2dfd39d88452cb23afac86836b.jpeg

Time is off an hour, no one ever adjusted it for day light savings time. 

Is 57.5 the inside temp?  You may want to get that bay window replaced sooner rather than later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I forgot to mention one thing. I kinda agree with you. While I do love a good winter, maybe not as much as I used to. Fortunately, in my corner of NY, a "real winter" is only 2 months on average (Jan & Feb), give or take a few weeks on either end.  Even the big March snowstorms tend to melt fairly quick with the stronger and longer sunlight. In fact, March tends to be my least favorite month. Not warm enough to be spring, but the winter fun is almost over. Everything is kinda mucky, muddy and messy, and with perpetual spring break vacations everywhere, travel is expensive and crowded.

I agree about March.  Not here or there but Springtime is magical where I used to live in NY.  Trees, bushes, flowers budding, Ramapo Mountains in the background.  That's what I miss about NY.  To me there is never a good winter, not even here in TX where I wore my down jacket approx. 6 times since 2003.  Hard to believe we'll be here 20 years in Oct.  I still don't say "y'all", but I've developed a taste for good bbq.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Is 57.5 the inside temp?  You may want to get that bay window replaced sooner rather than later.

That is what we did at the beginning of the pandemic.  Replaced this. 

2B1DA765-4A4D-425F-9157-6BF50CAF5A0C.thumb.jpeg.1c2583255cf2d69e21332476cf8db5f6.jpeg

With this. 

9103810B-7021-44EA-BAA4-81FBDD47E5B0.thumb.jpeg.844dc119a88bd33e27c562c05c7d4e12.jpeg

It made a world of difference in eliminating cold and drafts. Plus, it was the perfect time to do it when everyone was looking for work. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I was also pleasantly surprised by our sailing on Ovation last summer and I'm really looking forward to Odyssey this Christmas.  Only one flowrider was a serious negative for my wife and son though

When on Ovation I missed the Aquatheater activity.  I really like 270, not just for shows but a great view for breakfast and lunch.  The Solarium was a nice place to hang too. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Springtime is magical where I used to live in NY.  Trees, bushes, flowers budding, Ramapo Mountains in the background.  That's what I miss about NY. 

April! My favorite month. So is September. The warmth without the humidity & bugs.

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I still don't say "y'all", but I've developed a taste for good bbq.

So would that be a Fixin' for BBQ or a Hankerin' for BBQ? 😉

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is what we did at the beginning of the pandemic.  Replaced this. 

2B1DA765-4A4D-425F-9157-6BF50CAF5A0C.thumb.jpeg.1c2583255cf2d69e21332476cf8db5f6.jpeg

With this. 

9103810B-7021-44EA-BAA4-81FBDD47E5B0.thumb.jpeg.844dc119a88bd33e27c562c05c7d4e12.jpeg

It made a world of difference in eliminating cold and drafts. Plus, it was the perfect time to do it when everyone was looking for work. 

Also made the outside colors more vibrant! 😉

In all seriousness, looks great!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Definitely getting colder here and the wind is howling. 

Really cold in that bay window too. Need to replace that one this spring. 

55 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

We have plans to replace that window as well as the french doors in our kitchen in the spring.  

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When on Ovation I missed the Aquatheater activity.  I really like 270, not just for shows but a great view for breakfast and lunch.  The Solarium was a nice place to hang too. 

I agree completely.  I also like Music Hall on Q class a lot.  I don't like the layout of Dazzles/Music Hall on O class.  Too long and skinny with bad sight lines.  Still, I think I prefer O class to Q class.  I like the Royal Promenade more than the disjointed Royal Esplanade.  We sail in suites and I like the Q class Coastal Kitchen better, but I really like the whole deck 17 of O class with the combined CK/SL area.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Does insurance cover Syndisc?  Our cruise friend's knee really bothers him even going down stairs. 

Mine did but not all insurance. My understanding is that the insurance companies want other things like steroid shots first and then if that doesn’t work then Syndisc. It used to be not covered at all but the insurance companies are coming around. So far this is working great.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Mine did but not all insurance. My understanding is that the insurance companies want other things like steroid shots first and then if that doesn’t work then Syndisc. It used to be not covered at all but the insurance companies are coming around. So far this is working great.

You’re lucky your brother can advize  you .   It helps to have an “ in-house “ doc . I hope , you find a good resolution to your knee pain . 

Thank you all for for your suggestions from don’t look in the mirror and holding on to the railing.  I appreciate your kindness . 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I bet many of you, like us have had a temperature drop.  The actual temp at 10:30am was -19C or -2F.

4D9C6432-B095-4367-A608-03B316944DC9.thumb.jpeg.00bf6868dafb89d5d83b77a3c2d9bc5b.jpeg

It has snowed here all day and is even colder now. Tonight it will be -1F and feel like -13F.

I went to get take out and the roads were not the best. is this a paved 2 lane road with full shoulders. 

5A11A09A-2AE5-4801-8219-9A777CC09931.thumb.jpeg.6f93cb124cf2f6d0196d3f2f14d5e28d.jpeg

It was a 2 stop take out. Pizza and Thai food for me. I had more than enough time to stop on Main Street to get this photo. 

D4D6D99B-EEF3-4136-9FA7-8C6685927110.thumb.jpeg.a7028b47d85e4fc1f45609b1699f73da.jpeg

Oh lordy, no way for Jim and I...I don't think we'd make it!!  Cold winters are why we became Snow Birds, and we are grateful that we are able to be so!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I agree about March.  Not here or there but Springtime is magical where I used to live in NY.  Trees, bushes, flowers budding, Ramapo Mountains in the background.  That's what I miss about NY.  To me there is never a good winter, not even here in TX where I wore my down jacket approx. 6 times since 2003.  Hard to believe we'll be here 20 years in Oct.  I still don't say "y'all", but I've developed a taste for good bbq.

I miss New York City food , great Jewish, German and Italian delis . Great pizza , Broadway. Have been here for 42 years as of September, but I love Texas weather and really doubt I would have owned a 4 bedroom , 3 bathroom house with a swimming pool that we can use about 6 months a year . Always look forward to our visits to the city .

• Like 10

15 hours ago, NHProud said:

Not well !  

I'm so sorry that you both are still not feeling well.  I guess it's the luck of the draw on who gets really sick, and who just has a very mild case.  I do wish you to begin to feel better quickly❤️  ((hugs))

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Glad that you had a nice time,Maryann

Thank you,Lenny!

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

He did all the posing on his own, no encouragement from us.

He's a beauty, all right!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Maryann, I think Sophie was in the Schooner Bar when we were on Oasis.  If it is the same Sophie she was really good. She was especially nice to my granddaughter, very personable.  Glad you enjoyed yourselves!

She was wonderful!!!  She has the best personality, and her singing and piano playing...just wow!  You had to get to the Schooner early to get a seat.  We were told that she'll be on Liberty for the next 5 weeks, and then she'll be joining the Fleetwood Mac Tribute Band...I didn't hear all the facts, I'm not sure if she's the warm-up to them, or will actually be playing with them.  She had quite a following on our cruise.😉 

• Like 3