Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My daughter who is just finishing her 4th year of a 6 year program at university moved out of the house she had been sharing with 5 other girls this past January into her own apartment.  I guess she was lonely because today she adopted Evie who is 4 years old.

Screenshot_20230426_211402_Messages.jpg

Evie is gorgeous!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Sarah is a beautiful young lady, Ken!

Thanks, luckily that did not lead to a lot of young gentleman callers through her teen years...made dads life much easier. 

I had hoped she would be able to join us for Bella 2.0 as she would have fit right in with all of the people that Debbie will be pushing home at the end of the night and would have been a lot of fun (not sure if you saw some of my posts from the Allure Inaugural where she kept up with me in the drink count..we ended the day at 16) but she will be in her final year of teachers college and doing her work placements so won't be able to get the time off.  Not sue about my son either as he will have graduated and will be in his first year at a new job (hopefully) and time off will be limited.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Have a great time on your Hawaiian cruise with some of our fellow CC friends next week, Ken and Vikki!

Thanks, no Vikki though.  It's my son Toby and I.  While I can work anywhere Vikki is not as fortunate and cannot take time off during the school year being a teacher.  Taking Toby along was the only thing that kept me out of the doghouse

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

On 4/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, akcruz said:

The dog of a friend of mine knows how to open the microwave.  She has to stay around when she ours anything in as he has been known to open it when it beeps, take the food out and eat it.  She always has stories of his antics, big lovable dog, can't remember the breed right now.

Raised my son and never had to put locks on anything.  We now have locks on the cabinet under the sink (where the garbage can lives), the pantry door, and the fridge/freezer door, because Dexter the black Lab opens them and helps himself to the goodies!

• Haha 11

23 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My daughter who is just finishing her 4th year of a 6 year program at university moved out of the house she had been sharing with 5 other girls this past January into her own apartment.  I guess she was lonely because today she adopted Evie who is 4 years old.

Screenshot_20230426_211402_Messages.jpg

Ken, your grandcat is gorgeous!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owen this morning game dressed for rugby.  Hawaii shirts and sunglasses are the “dress code”.

IMG_9146.thumb.jpeg.2a8bb466456340036c7ea4e982649ec2.jpeg

Proud mama. 

IMG_9167.thumb.jpeg.c3a82399e00b26d82f941b460fa5eeb0.jpeg

And what’s the faux gold chain for… Owen was the player of the game. 

IMG_8299.thumb.jpeg.36e00196dd558212e65ebef28f35cb7e.jpeg

Final score, 29 - 10.

@Tree_skier in this game Owen and another teammate were going to rotate from fly half to full back at halftime. Owen started at full back and didn’t even play in the second half because of the score, nor did the player he was to switch with. At half time it was 24-0. We found out afterwards that our Jr team played a varsity team. 

Owen got 2 tries and two conversions for 12 points and he only played half of the game. In this video Owen does the opening kick, gets an easy conversion from straight on, a try in the longer play and a conversions from a hard angle.

He was exhausted tonight and a bit sore but still went to baseball practice. Thankfully tomorrow is a PA Day so no school and he’s happy about that. 

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Raised my son and never had to put locks on anything.  We now have locks on the cabinet under the sink (where the garbage can lives), the pantry door, and the fridge/freezer door, because Dexter the black Lab opens them and helps himself to the goodies!

Too funny.  We had a wicked smart basset hound (emphasis on wicked).    We had to put a baby lock on the drawer that held our garbage can.  He sat and watched us until he finally figured out how to open it.  He was sooo smart, but only used it for evil.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen this morning game dressed for rugby.  Hawaii shirts and sunglasses are the “dress code”.

IMG_9146.thumb.jpeg.2a8bb466456340036c7ea4e982649ec2.jpeg

Proud mama. 

IMG_9167.thumb.jpeg.c3a82399e00b26d82f941b460fa5eeb0.jpeg

And what’s the faux gold chain for… Owen was the player of the game. 

IMG_8299.thumb.jpeg.36e00196dd558212e65ebef28f35cb7e.jpeg

Final score, 29 - 10.

@Tree_skier in this game Owen and another teammate were going to rotate from fly half to full back at halftime. Owen started at full back and didn’t even play in the second half because of the score, nor did the player he was to switch with. At half time it was 24-0. We found out afterwards that our Jr team played a varsity team. 

Owen got 2 tries and two conversions for 12 points and he only played half of the game. In this video Owen does the opening kick, gets an easy conversion from straight on, a try in the longer play and a conversions from a hard angle.

He was exhausted tonight and a bit sore but still went to baseball practice. Thankfully tomorrow is a PA Day so no school and he’s happy about that. 

Wow, great day at the pitch.  That was smart support play on his try.  It was hard for me to tell right at the end how it went down but it looked like he made a smart cut inside either prior to or just after being passed to.  Good vision.  I'm curious about his kicking experience.  Since he is new, did he have background of kicking in football? A drop kick isn't a typical football skill even if you were a kicker.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Wow, great day at the pitch.  That was smart support play on his try.  It was hard for me to tell right at the end how it went down but it looked like he made a smart cut inside either prior to or just after being passed to.  Good vision.  I'm curious about his kicking experience.  Since he is new, did he have background of kicking in football? A drop kick isn't a typical football skill even if you were a kicker.

If I remember right I think he kicked extra points and field goals for his high school football team.

• Like 1

Three days of ER training done.  

Not sure which is kicking my butt worse, the actual workload, or the fact that I'm working day shift while I'm in orientation!!!  Everyone I've worked with so far has been very nice and welcoming. 

The work itself is very different from what I'm used to, and I keep catching myself going into "inpatient mode" of constantly checking in on my patients. Inpatient nursing was very focused on "customer service" and making the "customer" happy so they'd give good reviews on the post-hospital stay survey (basically like the post-cruise survey Royal sends out). 

The government in its infinite wisdom has decided to tie "patient satisfaction" to how much the government reimburses for Medicare services.  The problem is that people are in the hospital because they are sick, and the treatment(s) for fixing a patient's problem might not always make the patient happy. 

Putting a heart patient on a "cardiac diet" (low fat, low sodium) will make the patient mad... but giving a heart patient a bacon cheeseburger and fries isn't a good choice for the patient' health.  A patient receiving multiple IV antibiotic infusions around the clock will get mad at being woken up... but not giving the antibiotics on a certain schedule can mean that the infection won't be cleared up.  And I think we all know that just throwing narcotic pain meds at someone isn't a good idea... we have an addiction crisis going on in this country because of over-prescribing opiates! 

So my old inpatient job, we had to focus on making the patient happy.  Room service meals made to order.  Multi-channel cable television.  Extra pillows, warm blankets, soda refills, snacks on demand, etc. But this new job is very "bare bones" -- we "treat 'em and street 'em" here, no hand-holding.  We don't want to make them "enjoy" coming to the ER, because the ER is already over-used by people who SHOULD be going to their primary care provider. 

To give you an idea, I've done three 12-hour day shifts, on weekdays when a doctor's office would have been open, and at least 85% of the patients have not needed "emergency" care.  Nosebleeds, bonk on the head with little to no bruising or laceration and no loss of consciousness, sinus congestion, incision check from a surgery in another city the week before, earache, dental pain, back pain, nausea/vomiting.... all things that could be handled in a doctor office or urgent care center.  So we don't want to cater to these people, making them WANT to come to the Emergency Department for things that could easily be handled at their PCP office or an urgent care center.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Owen played soccer for 10 years of and was know for his big boot, and that transitioned to football as a kicker for the last two. His longest upright kick was 43 yards during a practice and 35 in a game. As for the drop kick he just picked it up by practicing.  

Owen almost had a third try but was a few yards short, and he broke out ant the centre field.  Another player made it on the next play though. His teammates said he broke some ankles out there today with his runs. He thoroughly enjoyed the day. 

You are right though, it is hooligans playing a gentleman’s game. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

Well, I finally got through 100+pages! I fell so far behind during the Bella cruise (which we turned into a b2b) I didn't think I'd ever see the end. 

As I read through your posts, thoughts and prayers over the last few weeks I laughed out loud at some of the antics some of you went through, cried through your anguish in situations beyond your control, and rejoiced in the pride everyone showed through their family, pets, gardens and life.

Thank you, Dani, for creating such a wonderful venue to share our lives.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1