Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I don't have time to comment on all the posts but I can sometimes follow along and send virtual cheers and hugs to everyone depending on the circumstances.  Other then really bad internet the cruise is wonderful.  Staff has all been so friendly and nice.  Food has been great.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny, that was exactly my thought when I read that post. I probably would not enjoy one bite of that sandwich knowing what it cost.

At first, I just assumed the price was because of it's "celebrity" status and typical NYC over-priced everything. But part of the high price is the month-long preparation process to properly cure the pastrami.

After watching this video, my mouth is watering. There is enough meat on the $26 sandwich for 2, maybe even 3 meals, which makes it an incredible value.  This is one place it might be worth standing on line.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’re having the worst June weather I can recall.  Temperatures struggle to get out of the low 70’s every day and this is the upcoming forecast: 

IMG_9137.thumb.jpeg.e28ca12eb1b44ecf68904be8837b1925.jpeg

I just hope we get to use our pool this summer!  

According to many different weather models from several sources... Looks like your pool will become very useful this summer

image.png.cbe7db9c826789ac50dc22ff3174372e.png

dp

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We’re having the worst June weather I can recall.  Temperatures struggle to get out of the low 70’s every day and this is the upcoming forecast: 

We've had no problems with temps in the 80s, but we've had a lot of rain with more thunderstorms predicted every day for the coming week (except currently Sunday).  In Florida, that often just means a brief passing storm in the afternoon, but it's been rainier than that.  Where do I go to get my money back?  Does Florida offer some sort of OBC?  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Just got back from dropping off Micheline at the airport.  She's headed back to Cincinnati for my younger daughter's bridal shower and my older daughter's birthday.  They have lots of mother/daughters stuff planned.  I'm a bachelor for the next 5 days.  I'm not sure what I'll do here all by myself, other than go where I want, eat what I want, drink what I want, watch what I want, do what I want...all when I want. Who am I kidding...I'll be lost in a couple of days. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 21

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Just got back from dropping off Micheline at the airport.  She's headed back to Cincinnati for my younger daughter's bridal shower and my older daughter's birthday.  They have lots of mother/daughters stuff planned.  I'm a bachelor for the next 5 days.  I'm not sure what I'll do here all by myself, other than go where I want, eat what I want, drink what I want, watch what I want, do what I want...all when I want. Who am I kidding...I'll be lost in a couple of days. 😁

Just stay home and give us some excellent refrigerator advise!😁😉

Happy Birthday and happy shower to the daughters.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I'm loving this June weather. Windows wide open, plenty of fresh, cool and dry air.  Every day I don't have to use the air conditioner is a bonus. Lawn mowing is down to every 10-12 days. Although the on-and-off rain for the next 6 days might change that.

Humidity is on it's way though. My hopes of not using the AC until July might not be realized.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

YES worth every penny.  As far as "the sign" goes, I'll have whatever she's having.  🤣

My TX friend ordered 2 pastrami sandwiches from Katz's deli delivered to her home.   She asked me over for lunch and surprised me!  I thought I was getting tuna. 😋She also orders NY bagels, $54 for 12 bagels, not even a baker's dozen.

I've only been to Katz's once.  I'm sure local neighborhood delis have lower prices than Katz's. 

My favorite restaurant in your old neighborhood was Ratners.My mother had a cousin who was a Waiter there and we went to the restaurant many times when I was a youngster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

At first, I just assumed the price was because of it's "celebrity" status and typical NYC over-priced everything. But part of the high price is the month-long preparation process to properly cure the pastrami.

After watching this video, my mouth is watering. There is enough meat on the $26 sandwich for 2, maybe even 3 meals, which makes it an incredible value.  This is one place it might be worth standing on line.

If you go to any Kosher Deli ,the sandwiches are described as overstuffed.You will likely see only one person eating one at a time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

I have had a Katz pastrami a few times.  You can eat it for days!  Haven’t had it in awhile so didn’t pay that price

The best Kosher Deli on the planet in my opinion is the Mill Basin Deli in Brooklyn .An overstuffed Pastrami on Rye is $20.95 .When I lived in Brooklyn I was there many times .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Happy Birthday to your older daughter and congratulations to your younger  daughter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I saw an interview with a person who has been on a dive in this very vehicle. And as he said, thus is not a ride at Disney...

When I saw how small of a tube it was and that the hatch is bolted from the outside, there is no way I’d ever get in that thing. That’s worse than my MRI yesterday.

• Like 20

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

When I saw how small of a tube it was and that the hatch is bolted from the outside, there is no way I’d ever get in that thing. That’s worse than my MRI yesterday.

Yes, there is no way out from the inside. That really surprised me. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Same here in PA and NJ.     We keep going thru a couple of nice warm sunny days then a couple of chilly rainy days.     Here in LBI the high is 65f with a feel like of 62f and winds up to 25 mph and light rain on and off up thru Friday.      I don't remember temps ever being this low this time of year (First Day of Summer)

Definitely not the beach weather I hoped for my Birthday😁

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was thinking of you yesterday. A patient was in the office who was adopted as an infant. For a Christmas present someone gave him one of those Ancestry things. He is in the process of discovering his family. It has been quite an emotional rollercoaster for him. I related some of your story to him. So I guess even on CC I can find ways to help patients. So I'm just letting you know that telling your story here has actually been beneficial to at least one person who you will probably never meet in this lifetime.

OB, thank you so much for sharing this with me!  ❤️❤️❤️

I have been amazed at how many people have been interested in my story, and I love that some benefit has come out of it for others that I've never even met.  (If anyone knows someone who needs to talk about this stuff, I'm happy to lend an ear, too.  Feel free to hit me up and we can exchange contact info.) 

Now that I'm working in the ER, I've used my story to help distract patients when they need it.  Last week we had to give adenosine* to a patient and I stood at her feet and held her ankles and told my story during the process, and she loved hearing the story and being distracted during the procedure.

*For people not familiar with how adenosine is used, it's basically the cardiac version of "turning it off and turning it back on again to see if that magically fixes the problem" using pharmaceuticals when a patient's heartrate is racing out of control.  The initial single dose of adenosine is injected quickly (aka "slammed in") into the IV and all eyes go to the monitor to see if it has an effect.  If that fails, a double dose is slammed in, and (hopefully) the patient literally flat-lines for a few seconds, then the heart (HOPEFULLY) kicks back in at a more sustainable rate.

My patient's heartrate was 194 beats per minute.  The 6mg dose of adenosine didn't even cause a blip in her monitor, so we followed that with a 12mg dose, and after a short flat-line, she came back at 88 beats per minute.  

Short video of the flat-line process (not my patient):

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Isn’t that insane for a sandwich? Is this a single serving size? Maybe I’m out of touch with reality, but I would never pay that much. No sandwich would taste that good to me.

I think it's a NY thing.  When you crave for something and you enjoy every heavenly morsel, it's well worth the price.  As others have stated, it does feed more than one.

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny, that was exactly my thought when I read that post. I probably would not enjoy one bite of that sandwich knowing what it cost.

I wouldn't pay that price on a regular basis, but once or twice a year would help fill my desire.  It's all subjective. 

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

THIS!!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Probably not a suitable event for trying to inject some humour.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I didn't think there was any humour at all... just a very poor attempt at it; comparing the submersible (and an inability to open it from the interior) to an MRI is in very poor taste.

There was absolutely NO attempt for humor in my post. It was only an observation of what it must have felt like to be in the that small round tube. I would NEVER make fun of sad situation. I don't know you and you don't know me. My friends here do know me and know I would never make light of that situation. I'm sorry you felt like I was posting in poor taste. I was only stating that I could never go into a sub like that as I am too claustrophobic from my previous MRI experience posted on this thread.

Thank you family for coming to my rescue.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 2:04 PM, Sea Dog said:

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and a Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of an reganother total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Greg, sorry to hear about that other knee. I hope the treatment works for you.  I hate that some things are not covered by insurance, if they work well. I think I mentioned before, that we saw that with our daughter, and we paid for things that insurance would not cover.  Hope you are in good shape for your cruise. 

23 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks.  We have so many that wants to help in some way.  Since learning what we are going through we have had so many reach out in so many ways.  We have received at least 2 meals a week.  After that feast Saturday we were given poppy seed chicken Sunday afternoon.  Several has brought desserts, milkshakes, icecream etc.  We have had men over working on the house

We had a ramp sent to us, we are having our master bathroom remodeled so we have a walk in bathroom and some guys are going to demo it before the tile company works on it.  So much love pouring in.  So thankful. 

John, it is so nice to hear that you are getting lots of support from your church and community.  It seems we are bombarded with bad stories every day, but there are a lot of good people in this world. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, h20skibum said:

Greg, sorry to hear about that other knee. I hope the treatment works for you.  I hate that some things are not covered by insurance, if they work well. I think I mentioned before, that we saw that with our daughter, and we paid for things that insurance would not cover.  Hope you are in good shape for your cruise. 

Thanks Mark. I am confident They can patch me up before my October cruise. Good thing is if I go the bone marrow route I should feel better and have more mobility within a few days.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

John, it is so nice to hear that you are getting lots of support from your church and community.  It seems we are bombarded with bad stories every day, but there are a lot of good people in this world. 

Thanks.  I am sure we can agree that we all also get a lot of support from our friends here.  It's great to have friends with great hearts!

• Like 12