Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, brookmill18 said:

@HBE4 I couldn’t believe the footage as I was watching last night. That amount of rain is insane. My first teaching job was right next to Stony Point and at the time I took the Palisades every day to/from work. It’s so scary how quickly weather issues can turn. Stay safe

Thank you. The sun is out and this week is shaping up to be a typical hot, hazy & humid July week.

55 minutes ago, Coralc said:

@HBE4 Wow! I watched the footage this morning. I didn't even know they had flash floods in New York state. I thought it was more of a desert thing. I hope you weren't flooded. Stay dry! 

Fortunately, my house is on high ground so no issues. Other than a partially clogged downspout outside my bedroom window. The overflowing gutter sounded like Niagara Falls in the middle of the night.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you. The sun is out and this week is shaping up to be a typical hot, hazy & humid July week.

Fortunately, my house is on high ground so no issues. Other than a partially clogged downspout outside my bedroom window. The overflowing gutter sounded like Niagara Falls in the middle of the night.

We had a terrestrial downpour about a decade ago , causing our living room to flood enough that we needed to replace our wooden floors. Since we added French drains to divert water , we are on one of the few hilly streets in our neighborhood. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Any plans of some sand art?   Would love to see some.  Your group always goes above and beyond🥰

We did a couple yesterday, but I didn’t get pictures because a rainstorm moved in as they were getting finished.  It is nice that we have water slides, lazy river, pool, and hot tubs under cover, so the rain wasn’t a problem.

• Like 7

We're taking advantage of our normal babysitting duties being suspended for a week to take a road trip in Gary's jag to Europe (DS1 and family are in Ibiza).

First snag, DS2 (who's wife is still on maternity leave so we don't babysit much) asked us to babysit tomorrow. So we've pushed back the trip to early Thursday and squeezed it into 6 days.

Second snag, found out  last night its a really late night for them. They won't be home till 2.30 am (we were planning to leave at 6am with a really long first day drive to Dijon).

So Gary will stay home and get a good night's sleep as he'll be driving and I'll kip on their sofa as best I can 

Kids hey, but wouldn't have it any other way. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

We're taking advantage of our normal babysitting duties being suspended for a week to take a road trip in Gary's jag to Europe (DS1 and family are in Ibiza).

First snag, DS2 (who's wife is still on maternity leave so we don't babysit much) asked us to babysit tomorrow. So we've pushed back the trip to early Thursday and squeezed it into 6 days.

Second snag, found out  last night its a really late night for them. They won't be home till 2.30 am (we were planning to leave at 6am with a really long first day drive to Dijon).

So Gary will stay home and get a good night's sleep as he'll be driving and I'll kip on their sofa as best I can 

Kids hey, but wouldn't have it any other way. 

You are much more adventurous than us.  That must be at least 20 hours of driving plus a ferry.  It would take us several days just to recover from the drive.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 5:47 AM, h20skibum said:

Our flight from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach yesterday was bumpy all the way.  The grandkids wasted no time in jumping into the fun. 

IMG_7912.thumb.jpeg.a0aa9aa28cfe3bfb3f079c974c32dae7.jpeg

We have a nice ocean front view for the week. 

IMG_7918.thumb.jpeg.d49851683f16f37929938d89a438af44.jpeg

I did experience one of those Southern Hurricanes, but I must say it was a pretty weak one. 

IMG_7919.thumb.jpeg.2d15199f5024c517abefe8435bbc3496.jpeg

No food pictures, because it wasn’t photo worthy.  No fine dining in this week’s forecast. 

A couple photos from last night on the beach. 

IMG_7930.thumb.jpeg.db2759f820dc33f6d9b7f7833415b5b6.jpeg

I kind of like this one of the pier. 

IMG_7929.thumb.jpeg.44f909673308bc66c2817d7d49cec21a.jpeg

Hope everyone has a great start to their week. 

What resort did you select to stay?

25 minutes ago, maggieq said:

What resort did you select to stay?

We are staying at the Homewood Suites Oceanfront.  It is near the Skywheel. 

We moved to this one, mid-stay last year, after finding the Breakers to be dirty and unacceptable.  Since the grandkids liked this place, we decided to return to it.  

• Like 7

@sgmn Have a wonderful trip! Last year we were in Portugal and met a family from UK who had driven so they could bring their dog! Hope you have a wonderful trip. And though it makes it harder for you to travel, your children will be so appreciative of the way you continue to take care of them as adults. One of my strongest memories of the first few months of motherhood (now 22 years ago!) is standing at my front window on Thursday afternoons watching for my parents’ car to pull up, holding a crying baby with a crazy puppy at my feet and literally heaving a sigh of relief as they arrived. They came almost every weekend for the first 6 months and it made such a big difference!

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

You are much more adventurous than us.  That must be at least 20 hours of driving plus a ferry.  It would take us several days just to recover from the drive.

Yeap, I think hubby is being over optimistic.  Goggle maps is showing 5hr 40min from Calais to Dijon, and the crossing is the tunnel which is 35min. But we'll have stops on top of that.  We're about two hours from Folkstone which is our end of the tunnel.

I reckon if all goes well and there's no hold ups (ha ha), we'll get to Dijon around 8pm.  Then onwards to Geneva the next day.

I'm normally the holiday planner in the family but this is hubby's dream trip so I'm leaving everything to him. 

He very much is the type of guy who launches himself into something and figures it out as he goes along 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

@sgmn Have a wonderful trip! Last year we were in Portugal and met a family from UK who had driven so they could bring their dog! Hope you have a wonderful trip. And though it makes it harder for you to travel, your children will be so appreciative of the way you continue to take care of them as adults. One of my strongest memories of the first few months of motherhood (now 22 years ago!) is standing at my front window on Thursday afternoons watching for my parents’ car to pull up, holding a crying baby with a crazy puppy at my feet and literally heaving a sigh of relief as they arrived. They came almost every weekend for the first 6 months and it made such a big difference!

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you 😊 

We try not to say no. Life is quite tough with babies, toddlers and dogs plus work, so we try and help out as much as we can, plus of course it's means we get to build deep relationships with our grandkids. 

Unfortunately we haven't got a pet passport for Molly but we have a dog/house sitter who will look after her while we're away. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@grapau27 Graham, do you have pet bunnies or are they wild visitors to your beautiful garden?

@sgmn  Enjoy your roadtrip.  I like your style travelling in Gary’s jag.  Is Gary not watching the Tour De France?

Not much, neither of us are big sports fans. Wimbledon and of course the Ashes are on at the moment, so TV is full of these.

I've been dipping in and out of the tennis and following the Ashes on the radio.

Gary bought the Jag a few years ago with the intention of doing a European road trip, he wants to drive the same road as in the opening sequence of The Italian Job with 'On days Like These' blaring out. Hopefully it won't end in the same way as the movie 

• Like 4