Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Quick trip this weekend to Santa Barbara CA for the celebration of life for my uncle.  

When I was 16, my aunt and uncle came up to Seattle from SB for a visit.  My uncle loved baseball, and bought tickets for a 3 game Angels/Mariners series for many of us up here (probably 15 family members total).  I didn't feel like going (probably because of a girl), so my dad told me that I had to tell Uncle Russ that I didn't want to go.  I got on the phone and told him, and after a short pause he said, "Larry, have you ever heard the old saying 'a promise made is a debt unpaid'?"  That's all he said, no lectures, no "dude, I paid for this ticket".  Of course, I ended up going.  And I can't count the number of times in the 40+ years since then that I've thought of him saying that.  Some life lessons are just that, and stay with you forever.  

Of course, with the sadness comes the chance to gather with all my cousins and their families and tell stories of the summer vacations of our youth down in SB.  Saying goodbye to a good man, but all in all a good weekend of family and happy memories.

Sorry for your lost.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric says Thank you Everyone for sending their condolences.    

He phoned Bill's Son before Dinner and learned that Bill had been given a last minute hail mary opportunity to receive a kidney but had refused it as Doctor's weren't sure he would survive the surgery since his body / heart had become so weak.   He passed it up saying "give it to someone younger  "   He was only 63 yrs old.    We all broke into tears hearing that.  

Bill's Girlfriend is a nurse at the hospital where he died and everyone made sure he passed peacefully.

His Son will call the firehouse that he retired from tomorrow and let them know that if they want to be part of the service that would be great but Bill did not want a large funeral with all the "bells and whistles".     His Son is a volunteer Fireman at the same firehouse.   

Gloomy night here in our house (weather and mood).    

Debbie, please accept my sincere condolences to you and Eric.  So sad that the donor kidney didn't come in time. Hope that happy memories of Bill will help during this time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric received a call today that a good friend since high school days passed away from kidney failure.   He was born with one kidney and didn't know this until he became very sick several years ago.   

He has been doing dialysis for 6 or 7 years while waiting for a kidney transplant.    We last him this winter and he was not well then but remained hopeful.    Dialysis for that many years definitely took a toll on his body.   He was so thin and pale when we last saw him.    Very sad as he once was a very fit person, was a Fireman for over 25 yrs as well as fitness fanatic that was in excellent shape.   

May Bill Rest in Peace🙏

Sorry to hear of the passing of Eric’s friend.  Dialysis does take a toll on the body.  My father was a three day a week dialysis patient for several years before he passed away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our flight from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach yesterday was bumpy all the way.  The grandkids wasted no time in jumping into the fun. 

IMG_7912.thumb.jpeg.a0aa9aa28cfe3bfb3f079c974c32dae7.jpeg

We have a nice ocean front view for the week. 

IMG_7918.thumb.jpeg.d49851683f16f37929938d89a438af44.jpeg

I did experience one of those Southern Hurricanes, but I must say it was a pretty weak one. 

IMG_7919.thumb.jpeg.2d15199f5024c517abefe8435bbc3496.jpeg

No food pictures, because it wasn’t photo worthy.  No fine dining in this week’s forecast. 

A couple photos from last night on the beach. 

IMG_7930.thumb.jpeg.db2759f820dc33f6d9b7f7833415b5b6.jpeg

I kind of like this one of the pier. 

IMG_7929.thumb.jpeg.44f909673308bc66c2817d7d49cec21a.jpeg

Hope everyone has a great start to their week. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Quick trip this weekend to Santa Barbara CA for the celebration of life for my uncle.  

When I was 16, my aunt and uncle came up to Seattle from SB for a visit.  My uncle loved baseball, and bought tickets for a 3 game Angels/Mariners series for many of us up here (probably 15 family members total).  I didn't feel like going (probably because of a girl), so my dad told me that I had to tell Uncle Russ that I didn't want to go.  I got on the phone and told him, and after a short pause he said, "Larry, have you ever heard the old saying 'a promise made is a debt unpaid'?"  That's all he said, no lectures, no "dude, I paid for this ticket".  Of course, I ended up going.  And I can't count the number of times in the 40+ years since then that I've thought of him saying that.  Some life lessons are just that, and stay with you forever.  

Of course, with the sadness comes the chance to gather with all my cousins and their families and tell stories of the summer vacations of our youth down in SB.  Saying goodbye to a good man, but all in all a good weekend of family and happy memories.

Sorry for the loss of your Uncle.   May he Rest in Peace and may the memories and celebrating his life with family bring everyone peace.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

Since there's been a lot of talk about Celebrity, just wanted to share something we learned about their basic WiFi and iMessages on iPhones (not sure if it applies to Android--it does NOT apply if you have upgraded WiFi). My mom sailed B3B on Edge in Europe in the fall and had nightmare issues with iMessages which was her primary way of keeping in touch. Hate to admit it, but I was really thinking she kept messing it up! We just did our first sailing on Celebrity in June and on day 3 iMessages wouldn't work and it was saying that my apple account didn't recognize the phone number. DH looked at it, we couldn't figure it out and right before I was set to try and spend hours with Apple Support, I remembered there was some sort of iLounge on board so I went to Guest Services to ask if was ever staffed. They said no, but as I started to explain my issue, they asked for my phone, typed away on it, asked me to restart the phone (I did while telling them I tried this a dozen times already) and then they took it back, typed away again and then told me to log back into my Celebrity wifi account and I'd be set! 

I asked them what they did and they said I couldn't replicate it because it required staff passwords, but the guy said it happens all the time to people who have the basic WiFi. I told them that they really should post a warning about it because the error messages you receive are related to your apple account--I doubt anyone would think it was Celebrity related. Guest Services said it happens constantly but they can fix it immediately and it rarely happens twice in one cruise. Happened on my husband's phone 2 days later, but never on DS who had the upgraded WiFi. Just really annoying that you could spend hours contacting Apple thinking it's related to your account!

That is good to know if you are going to cruise with Celebrity, but how many times does it happen that there are technical issues on phone/tv whatever and you assume that it is you (or your Mum). Then when it is finally resolved it is nothing to do with you.  The default is always “my fault”.  We should have more confidence.  

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Grest uncle and a lesson for all of us. I’m glad you could spend time with family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Yesterday afternoon, I had just parked my car and I looked up and saw this lady heading my way.  Didn’t recognise her, so I started replying to a phone message.  Next thing, same lady was at my driver’s side door with her car key fob in her hand and trying to open my door.  I made eye contact and raised my eyebrows.  She was startled and then extremely apologetic.  Her car was parked directly behind mine.  Oops.  I will admit that I’ve done the same in a carpark but thankfully the car was empty at the time…

This reminds me of years ago I went into the grocery store while Sharon and the girls waited in the car.  I came back out and jumped in the car.  As I attempted to start the car something didn't seem right.   I looked around and then looked at the car next to me where I saw Sharon and the girls laughing so hard..... I was in the wrong car! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

13 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Sorry for your loss

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He phoned Bill's Son before Dinner and learned that Bill had been given a last minute hail mary opportunity to receive a kidney but had refused it as Doctor's weren't sure he would survive the surgery since his body / heart had become so weak.   He passed it up saying "give it to someone younger  "   He was only 63 yrs old.    We all broke into tears hearing that.  

Bill's Girlfriend is a nurse at the hospital where he died and everyone made sure he passed peacefully.

His Son will call the firehouse that he retired from tomorrow and let them know that if they want to be part of the service that would be great but Bill did not want a large funeral with all the "bells and whistles".     His Son is a volunteer Fireman at the same firehouse.   

Debbie, this is so heartbreaking.  What a wonderful and generous man Bill was.  Again, I am so sorry for you and Eric, as well as for Bill's son and Bill's girlfriend.  He is now Resting in Peace.🙏

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric received a call today that a good friend since high school days passed away from kidney failure.   He was born with one kidney and didn't know this until he became very sick several years ago.   

He has been doing dialysis for 6 or 7 years while waiting for a kidney transplant.    We last him this winter and he was not well then but remained hopeful.    Dialysis for that many years definitely took a toll on his body.   He was so thin and pale when we last saw him.    Very sad as he once was a very fit person, was a Fireman for over 25 yrs as well as fitness fanatic that was in excellent shape.   

May Bill Rest in Peace🙏

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I’m so sorry for the loss of Eric’s dear friend. It’s so sad he passed up the chance for the new kidney, yet such a selfless act to give someone else a chance. He must’ve been quite a guy. 

14 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I’m sorry for your loss.  I’ve never actually heard that saying before - it’s a great one. May your wise uncle rest in peace.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well our daughter and her family are back home. It really was great having so much time with the grandkids, but if I’m perfectly honest there was a good amount of stress the past few weeks and we were all feeling it towards the end.  Andy & I were tired of the mess - we like things neat and orderly and they…don’t, lol.  Jess & Sam were stressed out from all the snafus that come with a home remodel, plus just not being in their own home (and since I’m being honest, I’m sure my constant picking up after them was annoying). It’s a rainy day here, so Andy & I are spending it cleaning the house and doing laundry.  The worst part? Everything is covered in black dog hair! 

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m so sorry for the loss of Eric’s dear friend. It’s so sad he passed up the chance for the new kidney, yet such a selfless act to give someone else a chance. He must’ve been quite a guy. 

I’m sorry for your loss.  I’ve never actually heard that saying before - it’s a great one. May your wise uncle rest in peace.  

I learned in the years since that it is actually a line from a poem called "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service.  Johnny Cash included it as a spoken word track on one of his albums in the 2000s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Well our daughter and her family are back home. It really was great having so much time with the grandkids, but if I’m perfectly honest there was a good amount of stress the past few weeks and we were all feeling it towards the end.  Andy & I were tired of the mess - we like things neat and orderly and they…don’t, lol.  Jess & Sam were stressed out from all the snafus that come with a home remodel, plus just not being in their own home (and since I’m being honest, I’m sure my constant picking up after them was annoying). It’s a rainy day here, so Andy & I are spending it cleaning the house and doing laundry.  The worst part? Everything is covered in black dog hair! 

I learned a long time ago, to not stress over little messes (or big ones either), when the kids or grandkids are around.  It makes our time much more enjoyable.  

since we keep one full time in the summers, we would go crazy thinking about messes. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I get it, starting to get our house ready for my daughter and family to come in a few weeks.  Love having them here and all the time we get to spend with them but oh how nice it is to have my house back when they go home.  We definitely live differently now.  Blessed to be able to spend the extended time with them so hold my tongue and just enjoy as much as I can.

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 11

So todays outing I introduced Zoey to a designer store.        “Le-WalMarte”. 

I wanted  her to take in all the sites so I put her in the seat and pushed the buggy backwards. She was calm and babbled non stop for the 75 min we walked——-up and down up and down did I say up and down all the aisle. 

The only fatality was her trying to eat a loofa. 

Many shoppers thought it was a good idea pushing buggy backwards. 

And Zoey received many compliments on being such a  beautiful girl. 

IMG_1505.thumb.jpeg.d577306b5c1cc03d1430fd1759e0fa6e.jpeg

IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.b3864650815af2789df04dbdcd7a6a1c.jpeg

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 21
  • Haha 1

Yesterday, the 4 counties north of NYC - Rockland, Orange, Westchester and Putnam counties -   received about 6-8 inches of rain in a 24 hour period with the vast majority of it  concentrated in a 12 hour period.  Normal amount of rainfall for this time of year is 3-4 inches per month . So basically, we got over 2 months of rain in 1 day.  It was like a monsoon without the wind. Just straight downpour.

The flooding was unreal,  so bad it made CNN headlines. The video below has clips from some of the hardest hit towns such as Highland Falls (Orange), Cold Spring (Putnam) and  Stony Point (Rockland). The on-the-scene CNN reporter is on the Palisades Interstate Parkway which runs from NJ, thru Rockland Co. to Orange Co.  The parkway behind the reporter is closed,  just beyond 40 people had to be rescued when their cars were trapped by fast rising floodwaters. I had just driven thru that area about an hour earlier prior to that event. Timing is everything.

Sadly, one young lady was killed when attempting to evacuate her home & was swept away. 

Full story and video

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/10/weather/northeast-storms-flooding-excessive-rainfall/index.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6