Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like a typical wet English summer day at The Open Championship golf tournament.  Yuck.  Does that weather extend all the way east to you Graham @grapau27

Yes.

It has been raining consistently for 36 hours and forecast for the next 24 hours.

It is currently 54°F here.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

She's doing OK.  Not as well as she had hoped, but probably where she should have expected to be.  She somehow had the idea that she'd be almost back to normal in a couple of days.  It's going to take a little longer.  She stopped taking the Oxy yesterday even though she still has some discomfort at times.  She hates taking Oxy at all for fear of getting addicted, even though all of her doctors have told her that it's needed.  She's mostly bothered now by some numbness and tingling in her left leg and foot which is also normal as the nerve that the herniated disc pressed against gets resettled.  That goes away in days to weeks.  I'm going to see if she's up for a short walk today to get out of the house.

Thanks for asking.

Thanjs for the update. Give her our best wishes. We too are interested in how her recovery goes as Linda may end up having this surgery also. I too was afraid of Oxy when I had my knee replacement but she needs to take her pain meds. Linda pushed me to take mine and they did help a lot. I’m sure the nerves will come back. I’m a year and half out from my TKR and I still have some nerve issues. It does take some time to heal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Yes.

It has been raining consistently for 36 hours and forecast for the next 24 hours.

It is currently 54°F here.

I was sad about the weather.  Was really looking forward to Day five of the Ashes. The outlook does not look promising.  Cricket can be so frustrating.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

She's doing OK.  Not as well as she had hoped, but probably where she should have expected to be.  She somehow had the idea that she'd be almost back to normal in a couple of days.  It's going to take a little longer.  She stopped taking the Oxy yesterday even though she still has some discomfort at times.  She hates taking Oxy at all for fear of getting addicted, even though all of her doctors have told her that it's needed.  She's mostly bothered now by some numbness and tingling in her left leg and foot which is also normal as the nerve that the herniated disc pressed against gets resettled.  That goes away in days to weeks.  I'm going to see if she's up for a short walk today to get out of the house.

Thanks for asking.

Oh that balance between taking enough meds to get moving, but knowing the risks of addiction.    Fingers crossed some walking will help.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:18 PM, HBE4 said:

Last post.

This picture sums up the trip perfectly. The foreground is the wife of college friend#1 (the one I see frequently) floating lazily on the lake while in the background, I and Little Miss HBE4 sit on our version of Perfect Day (not at Coco Cay) Floating Bar. 😁

20 - raft (2).JPG

Looks like y’all had a great time. Isn’t the water cold for swimming?

On 7/21/2023 at 3:23 AM, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is overcast and 54°F here in North East England.

I just read an article which was about Amsterdam closing their cruise terminal to cut back on tourist numbers.

They are building a new bridge which will restrict cruise ships.

I have had notification on one cruise next year that Amsterdam stop is being replaced with Rotterdam.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a great day.

We will be in Amsterdam next month on the Jewel. Glad we will at least get to cruise out of there before the rule changes. That is if they dont change it before the 16th.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We do the same.  Our September trip is both a belated 35th anniversary (Feb) and this year’s Christmas gift.  

Both beautiful homes. I love that wraparound porch and wide stairway.  That looks nothing like any Sloppy Joe I’ve ever seen!  Is it turkey?

Yes turkey!  The sandwich has an interesting origin.  Named after a bar in Havana when the mayor of Maplewood, NJ used to eat at during visits in the ‘50’s.

IMG_0374.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This went by very fast. Seems like just yesterday we were talking about suboptimal bedding.

I agree! It always goes by way too fast. A year of planning and then it’s all over. I’m really dreading going back to work tomorrow.

We never rush off the ship, especially when driving. Had a very nice last breakfast in the MDR. Got to our car shortly after 9:00. It wouldn’t be the end of a cruise without rude staff yelling at us in the luggage warehouse. 😂

Final parking lot shot:

IMG_4818.thumb.jpeg.7f6f1889963ce798787f6b96648c843c.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

@bobmacliberty I think you requested some Manhattan hotel suggestions.

In addition to the Michaelangelo, I would suggest The Warwick on 6th Ave close to Central Park and nearby to MSG and Broadway theatres.

We had a one bedroom suite there that was very comfortable , although it had one bathroom.

Unfortunately, the Waldorf is closed.

We stayed there a number of times and did enjoy Sunday brunches at Peacock Alley.

Hoping your NYC trip is most enjoyable!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

What were they saying to you????

One lady was mad because we stopped so the guys could use the restroom. She was telling people they shouldn’t use the restroom in the luggage warehouse (which is there for a reason, hello). She was also griping at a frail older man who had what appeared to be Parkinson’s about standing near the restroom. Maybe she should have offered to help him instead. 🙄

Another guy was yelling at everyone to keep moving outside, even though the crowd was so thick in that area that no one could move.

These were port staff, not Royal people.

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

I made Blueberry Buckle Cake today.  Mmm Mmmm good.  

Can you smell it?

33988520-6677-4A43-B806-081187CC6D38.thumb.jpeg.9eed9d8aa9770845295510797eff94c6.jpeg

99C17854-C522-481C-A32A-13C9713E3F0C.thumb.jpeg.fe6d648a8231f74aafe2fdd8ffcaa85a.jpeg

May want to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to it.

4EA8A1F9-3858-42BB-B647-0F10504C2B50.thumb.jpeg.7487aefe016cb2c33489ea1f788efd3e.jpeg

@Jimbo Here is the recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7985/blueberry-buckle/

Some notes:  

~I added a teaspoon of lemon extract to see how it would turn out.  Can barely taste the lemon flavor.  Maybe a little bit more next time.

~For the topping, to get a crumbly effect, instead of the smooth topping like I have, make sure the butter is cold and not softened.

I use King Arthur’s All-Purpose Flour and their Blueberry Buckle Recipe turns out to be the same as the Allrecipes’ recipe.

Now you're teasing me, Helen!  I am hungry, and that looks scrumptious!!!!!  Yum!!!🥰

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

IMG_1632.thumb.jpeg.4f874677b8d74ea6ebf73d2e85bfe028.jpeg

Beautiful picture of Christina and baby Zoey!  Our oldest daughter had a Military Wedding also!

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Andy and I went to last nights Red Sox vs Mets game. We met his sister, BIL and our niece there. They live near Albany and are big Mets fans.  It was a beautiful night for a game!

IMG_0127.thumb.jpeg.ddba216f34dd7e94f5f62406b87cfec5.jpeg There was a pre-game ceremony honoring our military’s Special Forces.  The Red Sox organization does such a nice job with these recognition ceremonies. As the proud daughter of a member of the US Army’s 82nd Airborne and a Green Beret in Vietnam, I was very moved.  

The two of you look marvelous!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Yesterday afternoon. Miss it already.
IMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.0494f0e831f0e73f53f6ec18c5a3026a.jpeg

I like taking alllll of the pictures, and my family humors me. Here are a couple of faves.

IMG_4769.thumb.jpeg.0981e831536595580ffcd4effc77c4a4.jpeg

IMG_4762.thumb.jpeg.783af0d4369b95e32afd20fe2662fc54.jpeg

Lovely pictures, Bethany!  Beautiful family!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  The Michelangelo looks like a great location.  Off to do some research.

Another thing about the michealanglo is it’s a small boutique hotel never need to wait more than a minute for elevators, what we hated about Hilton was sometimes waited 5 minutes. ( also has small bar open from 5 to midnight)
   Our Boz Scaggs concert was great he played 90 mins then got a standing ovation and said I am glad you want more since I have lots of friends and relatives here ( he grew up in Plano a suburb) then played another 30 mins, stayed at a really nice hotel across the street that had a piano player. 

• Like 6

We had two nice days (Friday and Saturday).    Yesterday was a perfect summer day with temps in the low 80's, light breeze and humidity levels dropped to the 60's.     Today is sunny, high 80's, no breeze but no humidity, so that's good too!    We are expecting to reach high 90's and 100 in a couple of days.  

We just finished washing and detailing inside and out three of our cars.   After purchasing the Ford Edge this Spring we decided to sell the car I inherited from my Dad.   Then we were too busy with spring yard work, preparing shore house for summer renters, then our two weeks at the shore house in June then all the humidity and rain we have had since end of June thru July didn't help.

So today it is officially ready.   I just took numerous photos so I can post on that other social media's marketplace.   I have successfully sold two cars in the past online and feel confident this one will sell quick too.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

That looks really nice.  I am experimenting with virgin cocktails to accompany my late afternoons.  I am going to look it up.  

@SteelCityCruiser10 I only mint and the watermelon (we happened to have a really sweet seedless one sitting in fridge) and it was great over crushed ice.   It is going to work for me.  Thanks.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Yesterday afternoon. Miss it already.
IMG_4762.thumb.jpeg.783af0d4369b95e32afd20fe2662fc54.jpeg

I love this photo.  I bet one of our resident Photoshop experts could edit out the people in the background for you.  🙂 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

.  I'm going to see if she's up for a short walk today to get out of the house.

Thanks for asking.

Wow, I was reading real fast and I thought you were going to ask her if she was ready to play 9. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Looks like y’all had a great time. Isn’t the water cold for swimming?

We will be in Amsterdam next month on the Jewel. Glad we will at least get to cruise out of there before the rule changes. That is if they dont change it before the 16th.

Are you going to Amsterdam a day early? curious what hotel you are staying in and how much? We will be there in May 2024 for 2 nights before Jewel cruise.

46 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Are you going to Amsterdam a day early? curious what hotel you are staying in and how much? We will be there in May 2024 for 2 nights before Jewel cruise.

We are staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton by the port. We will be there for 4 nights. For a king deluxe room it’s $1536.00. We just booked this June so I’m sure you can get it cheaper by booking early. 

https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/rooms/?ctyhocn=AMSCS&arrivalDate=2023-08-12&departureDate=2023-08-16&room1NumAdults=2&displayCurrency=USD&WT.mc_id=zINDA0EMEA1DT2OLX3GGL4INTBAU5SR6AMSCSDI7_122953832_9083689&utm_source=intlmeta&utm_medium=intlmeta&utm_campaign=googlehpa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn_OlBhDhARIsAG2y6zO8VPgIImh4t4THASH5JiouuZCpMlTVNFddSrB_tgPgHgK-gXn3IMwaAmTqEALw_wcB&dsclid=55044242698674176&bm-verify=AAQAAAAH_____1vbHPjEgBB_nzdhB4wpLaLMT4sek_RszHIQWr3AIpWtmztkvohtaU7DasEEsGL9bOL5_pWU7y02ZAoDrca5UM__4zL2PvgSIIvkPAaI4_IBpS8hHODevFfm_NMREKgJbEj-SGVAvXmjBk0ojSdgyELSRuokPJlX--nSiReVGEwiLabNPMc-8FECfSBmYvHAxbpVdXpSzpau_U8OlUKMdOiAfr4MTeHmYzkS4r8DM_noYQ8R_dKMK6xZu-74OYyjUnoFKvEP1QOWg8tgeH9P1Nk_EqAKU-Vug0lsJALqHQI2YrRtJTlHfC63moI3ULYygGYAnzj6IlRnnxKtwrLLBUINxc5KFAK7Hs2iYWL6qvKairhUWo21u7ISoyzBwnwojYEAIx7a2nJsBxweTo1pLShXVyGmwsPaovBJOy3ggppttzt5HNXSZkWFsjNwK1wmCsF91cCAHxSpCMoWT-0VycoCZEg8rZY2BG7_mHxImEd6k74Ml4VmH6xdiToM2VrwodUNhYmn3pJcwgGj6GMHSzyHL42v2d5sMaATX0JCmmqVv8sHxa8B69yzd36JOmA8U6s2f3yw7OWB4cX6BrniHmnCmvrFVzU8DPJ3Ejald9Kwbf-XQLTkRuMFzCOR1MSSQelsYZAlIEfm_Q5QqeUEN0N5bP2Qjb6dm2JV3N4-wfkT5wAg-Q-DAt04tCqOe0X7PHwGLjYmmM6beOzj2Q3etG-5sYcTpVvGduYxYdqMQ37fpGYSqhc5v_0XjV31QtO3vAF1Ls56UbnqpDsLZW3ON_TR0G5gS3RroUMND93KuPjspg0WKsrFHtme1cReXOGjaED2ZYRv2T98pSE4z_DWpfbjkwopzJnfk4qa3mmwn3ei1TZ-FN1u_aP_7EFB-wHM7Rkv2yL9EZ-Q_gDyTbLu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1