Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 2/5/2024 at 11:53 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure if there is enough alcohol on this ship for that to happen.😊

We can fix that. I even have nail polish. 😁

On 2/5/2024 at 4:53 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I thought the temperature was fine. I got off the ship early to start exploring just in case rain moved in. 

If you were in the pool you would think differently about the temp. 🥶 It took hours for my legs to defrost. I guess drinking frozen drinks didn’t help. 😆

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Haha 8

Speaking of hearing loss, I was in for my 4 month check with the audiologist yesterday.  They check my aids every 4 months to see if anything needs adjusted or replaced.  Yesterday’s appointment included a hearing test in the sound booth to see how much hearing loss has progressed.  The last sound booth frequency measurements were six years ago when I first got hearing aids.   

So, in six years time I have lost about 10 dB across the spectrum, which they say is a normal progression.  I did some research online after the appointment, and found one study that was done that reported an average loss of 1.4 dB per year, so I may be a little higher than average. 

Just a few things as a PSA.  Normal hearing loss will start in your 50’s and will continue.  If anyone is hesitant about getting hearing aids, do it, because it makes a huge difference.

Maybe OB is right about contacting the head office, because putting it on the surveys doesn’t seem to result in positive change.  

I know I will be bringing ear plugs for the grandkids when we take them on their first cruise this year. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I also get irritated. I became even a bit angry last night with the aftermath that I was experiencing. It is very easy to find info on decibel levels and length of exposure. I am strongly considering writing an email to Bayley's office when I get home about this situation.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We should figure out some way to organize ourselves on this issue, to increase the chances that they will actually do something.  A bunch of individuals complaining doesn't seem to have any effect.  We've complained in the past on the post cruise survey and I've heard others say that they've done so also.  At a minimum, the high volume level eliminates the enjoyment of the event.  Micheline has to actually leave (although she hadn't cruised with her Loop earplugs yet).  Worst case, they are causing hearing damage.

As an FYI, There are apps that you can use to measure the SPL (Sound Pressure Level).

I would be the first to point out that you can't really trust an app on a phone for accurate results, but after trying a few different ones, This one was pretty much on the nose with the Calibrated Lab quality SPL meter I borrowed from our hospital medical engineering techs. 

I don't know how the programmers of the app do it, or if it just happened to match up good with my specific phone, but it was very accurate.

image.thumb.png.6afc16489fb8e8b0914d567ccd905762.png

image.png.9aebaf1de434971e73d9fb9861725d0c.png

Accuracy on these SPL meters is critical, since the dB scale is logarithmic.  So a difference of 3 dB is either half or double the power.

In the screen shot, my office was averaging around 50 dB until I clicked the button on my phone for the screen capture, that brought it up to 62dB.  This particular app has a save function to save the captured data.

dp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Speaking of hearing loss, I was in for my 4 month check with the audiologist yesterday.  They check my aids every 4 months to see if anything needs adjusted or replaced.  Yesterday’s appointment included a hearing test in the sound booth to see how much hearing loss has progressed.  The last sound booth frequency measurements were six years ago when I first got hearing aids.   

So, in six years time I have lost about 10 dB across the spectrum, which they say is a normal progression.  I did some research online after the appointment, and found one study that was done that reported an average loss of 1.4 dB per year, so I may be a little higher than average. 

Just a few things as a PSA.  Normal hearing loss will start in your 50’s and will continue.  If anyone is hesitant about getting hearing aids, do it, because it makes a huge difference.

Maybe OB is right about contacting the head office, because putting it on the surveys doesn’t seem to result in positive change.  

I know I will be bringing ear plugs for the grandkids when we take them on their first cruise this year. 

I haven’t had mine adjusted since getting them about 5 years ago , but will in a couple of months .we have been on 6 cruises since Covid and I had no issues with the sound bit I am sure wife won’t say the same . I had to get the hearing aids after going to a gun range without the proper protection for the ears.

• Like 3

I finally won a RoyalUp.  We are 9 days out from boarding Adventure of the Seas and I got the email today.  Prior to this I was 0 / 9 in my Royalup bids.  We moved from a standard 4D balcony to a JS for $305. And not just a standard JS but an aft facing JS so we have the extra deep balcony.

I'm really surprised because the ship has been sold out for a couple of weeks and folks in the roll call have reported getting emails asking them to postpone their sailing for a refund and full credit for a future sailing or to downgrade from a balcony to an OV for a 50% FCC.  

Based on that I had no expectation that we would win our RoyalUp 🙂

We've had a couple of suites over the years... This is the first JS,  I know they don't come with any benefits but just the extra size will be nice and the extra large balcony will be great.

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 11.16.55 AM.png

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I finally won a RoyalUp.  We are 9 days out from boarding Adventure of the Seas and I got the email today.  Prior to this I was 0 / 9 in my Royalup bids.  We moved from a standard 4D balcony to a JS for $305. And not just a standard JS but an aft facing JS so we have the extra deep balcony.

I'm really surprised because the ship has been sold out for a couple of weeks and folks in the roll call have reported getting emails asking them to postpone their sailing for a refund and full credit for a future sailing or to downgrade from a balcony to an OV for a 50% FCC.  

We've had a couple of suites over the years... This is the first JS,  I know they don't come with any benefits but just the extra size will be nice and the extra large balcony will be great.

That is so nice Dave!  Congrats!  I am cruising with @Momof3gurlz and @Dadof3gurlz on the March 1 sailing and decided to stay in my interior promenade cabin.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 11.16.55 AM.png

Love the view from aft cabins , congratulations 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In contrast to all my friends on CC that are currently enjoying warm and sunny weather...

My 1976 Roper snowblower is running at 111dB measured from operator distance 🙉.

image.png.5d7ce23262d8f5b9200dac1f4a9dbdcb.png

image.thumb.png.316bd69e16de69786935286a87ec7db3.png

We got it easy this time compared to our neighbours just a few hours east in Nova Scotia. Some areas in NS got over 4ft of snow. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I also get irritated. I became even a bit angry last night with the aftermath that I was experiencing. It is very easy to find info on decibel levels and length of exposure. I am strongly considering writing an email to Bayley's office when I get home about this situation.

Hearing health is so important - I have always stressed  this to my daughter who is a frequent concert goer.  A while back she bought the type the ear plugs suggested by @dpostman Thanks too for the recommendation @bobmacliberty.

DH on the other hand prefers to use the wax type.  He finds wax more comfortable.  He only goes to a concert very infrequently but uses them when taking Max in the car.  Max gets overexcited for the first 10mins of the drive and has a very loud bark.

@Ocean Boy I think you should send that letter.  Coming from you the letter will carry weight and hopefully action will be taken. Having your hearing impacted overnight from a RC performance is just not acceptable.  

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Scientology ship is not in Aruba today. Where could they be.

Elizabeth Moss is one of my favourite actresses.  I had forgotten she was a Scientologist.  Was reminded when a media site announced her pregnancy this week and their were so many caustic comments relating to this cult.

11 minutes ago, dpostman said:

In contrast to all my friends on CC that are currently enjoying warm and sunny weather...

My 1976 Roper snowblower is running at 111dB measured from operator distance 🙉.

image.png.5d7ce23262d8f5b9200dac1f4a9dbdcb.png

image.thumb.png.316bd69e16de69786935286a87ec7db3.png

We got it easy this time compared to our neighbours just a few hours east in Nova Scotia. Some areas in NS got over 4ft of snow. 

Seen photos of those in Nova Scotia.  Scary how much snow they have had.

Parts of Alaska have had records level of snow this season too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Seen photos of those in Nova Scotia.  Scary how much snow they have had.

Parts of Alaska have had records level of snow this season too.

The weather outlets around here compared this snow storm to the one we had here in Moncton back in '92.  That storm brought down 5ft of snow in 3 days.

"Maritime Provinces, February 1-4, 1992. A 110-hour-long blizzard with gusts up to 140 km/h brought record snowfall of 163 cm to Moncton, New Brunswick; several other cities recorded more than 100 cm of snow"

image.jpeg.0ca12e5df425b4c5e5e0670dd91d4e94.jpeg

As impressive and inconvenient as that is, it's easy to move on from this compared to what many other communities and regions have been put through.

dp

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dpostman said:

The weather outlets around here compared this snow storm to the one we had here in Moncton back in '92.  That storm brought down 5ft of snow in 3 days.

"Maritime Provinces, February 1-4, 1992. A 110-hour-long blizzard with gusts up to 140 km/h brought record snowfall of 163 cm to Moncton, New Brunswick; several other cities recorded more than 100 cm of snow"

image.jpeg.0ca12e5df425b4c5e5e0670dd91d4e94.jpeg

As impressive and inconvenient as that is, it's easy to move on from this compared to what many other communities and regions have been put through.

dp

Life is good in the Caribbean.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

50% off the original price or 50% off the jacked up price? 🤨

😆 I don't know. The sign had the price.

Perhaps every birthday the ship celebrates, the price goes down by $5. 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Scientology ship is not in Aruba today. Where could they be.

8 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Curacao?

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'll let you know tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.11d9e6290a2f209a313fbb0da3f68947.png

• Like 3