Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for posting pics from these rides.  Always enjoyable.  That seems like a long ride for you...4 hours in each direction??  Do you take highways to get there faster or more local roads so that there's more to see?

St. Augustine is about 1.5 hours from our new house.  It's on the list of places to visit.  I've been there before but only remember the fort and a pedestrian street with lots of shops.  I'm sure there's much more to see.

Actually, St Augustine is 35 miles from our H-D Dealership.  I turned it into about a 45 mile ride. For the most part we avoid Interstates unless it’s unavoidable or if pressed for time. Most of my rides I attempt to find the Florida backroads. A lot of nice ones over where the big horse farms are located. I record and save all my rides. I spend a lot of time planning my rides. We try to stay away from the highways and traffic if possible. We don’t have the mountains or really twisty roads that are found most places but we do have oak lined canopy covered roads that are nothing but stunning. 

Where are you moving too?  I think you said Amelia area?  Lots of good stuff to ride up that way. Don’t do much that far out unless it’s an overnight ride. 

Thanks

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

It is always hard to lose a pet because we (even jc) get so attached to them over the years. They become part of the family. Even these 2 cats that we didn't adopt by choice. One of them is nicknamed s***head and the other one fuzzball because even the roomba can't keep up with all of the fur. 

I will be sad/not sorry when they pass away, because it is a hassle and expensive when we want to travel for vacation. I know you didn't ask me, but that is my opinion of these pets. And I think many cruiser pet owners feel similarly. 

We have 5 cats and 2 dogs currently.  We had 7 cats when we moved last year but illness and old age took its toll.  All our cats chose us, showed up and moved in.  One cat is diabetic so needs a shot twice a day and one cat has a chronic illness with liquid meds often.  When we travel we hire a house sitter.  Since we are not traveling right now I have yet to find one here and then give them a trial run of a short 3 day trip before actually go far or for a long time.  It is a pain but for me I feel that we don't travel enough even when we can to be without pets in my life.  Maybe not so many but I have to have fur babies in my life.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Actually, St Augustine is 35 miles from our H-D Dealership.  I turned it into about a 45 mile ride. For the most part we avoid Interstates unless it’s unavoidable or if pressed for time. Most of my rides I attempt to find the Florida backroads. A lot of nice ones over where the big horse farms are located. I record and save all my rides. I spend a lot of time planning my rides. We try to stay away from the highways and traffic if possible. We don’t have the mountains or really twisty roads that are found most places but we do have oak lined canopy covered roads that are nothing but stunning. 

Where are you moving too?  I think you said Amelia area?  Lots of good stuff to ride up that way. Don’t do much that far out unless it’s an overnight ride. 

Thanks

M8

I thought you lived further south...down near the greater Miami area?  

We are in our new house on Amelia Island.  I don't have a bike but there are definitely some pretty rides around here.  Lots of Live Oaks with hanging moss.  There is a fully canopied street near our house that my wife calls our Florida tunnel.  Water views everywhere which coming from Ohio is spectacular, but is daily thing for many Floridians.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I thought you lived further south...down near the greater Miami area?  

We are in our new house on Amelia Island.  I don't have a bike but there are definitely some pretty rides around here.  Lots of Live Oaks with hanging moss.  There is a fully canopied street near our house that my wife calls our Florida tunnel.  Water views everywhere which coming from Ohio is spectacular, but is daily thing for many Floridians.

Ormond Beach. I was born in Miami and my son works there. 

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

What does this do for you?

It means one is approved for use of certain items listed under the NFA that require a tax stamp and extensive background check.  We had to form a joint trust to apply for these. I suspect these will be a lot harder and/or more expensive to obtain soon. 

There is a significant list of items that require these Tax Stamps under the NFA. 

Our items were held by the FFL until the Tax Stamp was received. 

M8

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am conflicted about the loss.  I am a bad person.  She was a good kitty, but that whole liter box thing.... yikes.  

Cats are just not for everyone.  We have 3 litter boxes that we scoop twice a day.  Not a big deal for us but that is us.  I volunteer at a wildlife refuge and deal with a lot of poop.  What goes in must come out.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hopefully just a mental break.  When I add up the time that I spend on social media, there are probably better things that I can be doing with my time, but I'd need to quit cold turkey for a while (like Bob/Clarea).  Not that I don't enjoy the fine company and social outlet that I get here, especially during the pandemic. 😁

It's easy to fall into a rabbit hole that is the internet, whether it be social media, catching up in the news, researching a trip/product/whatever or watching stupid...er, I mean funny animal videos. Often times, I'll sit down at my laptop for 30 minutes and before I know it, 5 hours later I'm trying to teach myself how to talk to a giraffe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yesterday, I lead a group of 12 to St Augustine on our Daytona HOG Historic House Rides. We stopped by 4. Here is our post from FB. 

Daytona HOG set out in search of Historic Homes in St Augustine. After negotiating a few narrow one way brick roads, we accomplished our goal.  We visited Villa Zorayda, Dow Home, Ximenez-Fatio House, and finally the Pena-Peek House. It was a chilly day and always an adventure.

AA9020A3-7BAB-4AAB-9F8C-70DD9400D297.jpeg

CAD8E551-AF0A-43CD-82B8-92B500AF6AC8.jpeg

E967D585-25E8-4884-9A1B-F72ECAA79822.jpeg

E2B523DF-6986-4ECB-B1F0-6BDA4A1166FB.jpeg

66C62274-ABA5-4D38-B699-2B5CE44255F4.jpeg

7F53A81F-85C1-4337-B2F9-8401D14F5B2F.jpeg

D68797DD-6DEA-4929-8A69-784BDA00B40B.jpeg

4A04D2CD-33D5-4EED-A5CA-400A9C1EA719.jpeg

CBA3CA7F-49BD-4B43-9ABA-6CA22D2187DC.jpeg

A823FB75-A42F-45AF-AB9E-B98E0DDBFB76.jpeg

A61E6F8B-ECFE-40F1-9F53-D544251654FA.jpeg

2091D39A-1ACB-41CC-87DD-07968687D460.jpeg

Great photos.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

I will be sad/not sorry when they pass away, because it is a hassle and expensive when we want to travel for vacation.

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

We love cats. But we went a long time with just having the backyard squirrels and we could travel without guilt. Sorry. I will quit now, since we can't travel anyway. 1

Don't feel guilty. I've had cats and dogs a majority of my life. When my last dog passed away some 15 years ago we suddenly found ourselves with a lot more freedom, time and money on our hands. And a cleaner house. And did I mention freedom?

Being able to take impromptu trips and not having to leave a party early to walk the dog is nice. Did I mention freedom?

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I like your wording, and, if you permit, I'll adopt it 😁

Me too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

@Milwaukee Eightit always cracks me up when I see Floridians dressed in full winter gear when the temperature drops below 60.  That's what we wear when it's 20!

Temps are hitting low 40's here. It's going to feel like Spring. I'll probably leave the jacket home when I go out later. Maybe even wear a t-shirt. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

Pat, I agree. And those ignoring the simple protocol suggestions will be the first to whine when they become sick!  And we all get to pay for their ignorance in one way or another. No matter where we live. Numbers are crazy high here also. Hang in there. No idea when we'll be getting our shots. Hurry up and wait. Ready, willing and able. 😷

Definitely has to be totally frustrating for the health care workers.  When you see those huge events with peeps not wearing masks and all mashed in together...I wish (in a perfect world) they would have to sign a release when they enter the gates to that event.  Promising not to seek hospitalization when they get sick with Covid.  😉 

Seriously, though...what a slap in the face to the medical teams working long hours in ICU units to see that kind of blatant disregard of the CDC warnings.    😞 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I had the vaccine this afternoon.No side effects.

One of our children had it early this morning and also no side effects.

😀

Thanks for posting back.  🙂   I knew you would do just fine!  🤗

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Cats are just not for everyone.  We have 3 litter boxes that we scoop twice a day.  Not a big deal for us but that is us.  I volunteer at a wildlife refuge and deal with a lot of poop.  What goes in must come out.  LOL

We lost the second of our two cats almost 2 years ago.  I miss them dearly, and was suddenly pet less for the first time in my life.  We decided to hold off on getting any more until we could get the wander lust desire of longer cruises, and international travel cruises out of our system.  We had been keeping our trips to no more than 2 weeks, even with an excellent cat sitter.  

Booked a lot of those cruises last year....Then..."poof"...Covid takes those away.  😞 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

@Milwaukee Eightit always cracks me up when I see Floridians dressed in full winter gear when the temperature drops below 60.  That's what we wear when it's 20!

And we stand back in awe as the northern tourists walk around in shorts, and jump into the cold ocean to swim.  😮😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is the story of practicing medicine in general. It is much like the myriad of medical issues that can be avoided or attenuated by acting on the advice one's doctor gives.

That's true.  And we can both think of one glaring example.  Sigh.   😞  But nothing is as bad as what they are having to go through right now.  My poor sister is overwhelmed, and so tired of seeing so many die.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Pork chops in the cast iron tonight. From stove top, to oven, to tummy.😋

There were veggies but who needs to see them. 😉

5011224B-0B9A-4661-969F-A8629BE263D7.thumb.jpeg.16efaa897ebfe70470c466012bd341c4.jpeg

9FCD7551-6A06-4907-83D7-FFEA3CC35C6B.thumb.jpeg.30b8f0a74ca4f69a4732406bd31b7b83.jpeg 

Is that an induction cooktop? We put a paper towel between the cooktop and the pan to avoid getting scratches on it.