Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

While we're on the subject of news about this cunning virus...

The biggest health provider (more than 1.500.000 members) has followed a huge population of more than 60 years -- 200.000 who got their 1st jab more than 3 weeks ago (in blue), and a similar control group of 200.000 who are still to be vaccinated (in red).

As you can see, until day 12 after the vaccination, there is no difference between catching the virus between the 2 groups. The change starts on day 13, and on day 14 the BIG change starts -- there is a drop of catching the virus -- 33% difference in favor of those vaccinated !!!

@Milwaukee Eight, @A&L_Ont, @Ocean Boy, @lenquixote66

IMG_6052 (2).jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh my, I am sorry to hear about Charlie.  I'm just catching up on this thread.  I'm hoping he is doing better today.   The worst is not being able to be in hospital with him.   You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

He is doing much better, blood pressure is good.  We finally got vaccine appointments for the 20th, so hope that goes well.  Thanks for your good wishes, I know you understand..

• Like 4

With the vaccines coming out now, we are on the right track...but I won't even consider traveling anywhere until well after I get both shots.  Not worth it.  And really wish others had listened to the CDC about not traveling.  Our numbers are really up there now in horrible record numbers with so many that traveled during the holidays.  

I really feel for the overworked, understaffed medical providers.  It must be so frustrating for them to see so many ignoring the guidelines...and of course those people then show up at the hospital after they didn't heed the warnings. Very sad.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

With the vaccines coming out now, we are on the right track...but I won't even consider traveling anywhere until well after I get both shots.  Not worth it.  And really wish others had listened to the CDC about not traveling.  Our numbers are really up there now in horrible record numbers with so many that traveled during the holidays.  

I really feel for the overworked, understaffed medical providers.  It must be so frustrating for them to see so many ignoring the guidelines...and of course those people then show up at the hospital after they didn't heed the warnings. Very sad.  

Pat, I agree. And those ignoring the simple protocol suggestions will be the first to whine when they become sick!  And we all get to pay for their ignorance in one way or another. No matter where we live. Numbers are crazy high here also. Hang in there. No idea when we'll be getting our shots. Hurry up and wait. Ready, willing and able. 😷

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

While we're on the subject of news about this cunning virus...

The biggest health provider (more than 1.500.000 members) has followed a huge population of more than 60 years -- 200.000 who got their 1st jab more than 3 weeks ago (in blue), and a similar control group of 200.000 who are still to be vaccinated (in red).

As you can see, until day 12 after the vaccination, there is no difference between catching the virus between the 2 groups. The change starts on day 13, and on day 14 the BIG change starts -- there is a drop of catching the virus -- 33% difference in favor of those vaccinated !!!

@Milwaukee Eight, @A&L_Ont, @Ocean Boy, @lenquixote66

IMG_6052 (2).jpg

I’ll get the boss to read me this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

That is the story of practicing medicine in general. It is much like the myriad of medical issues that can be avoided or attenuated by acting on the advice one's doctor gives.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Excellent, well said.

20 hours ago, maggieq said:

I’m with ya on the disheartened feeling. Was so looking forward to aruba.   Keeping my fingers crossed on the rules changing as the vaccines and hopefully cases going down.  Travel industry will be sure to take another hit they dont need. 

Anyone have any recommendations for a resort in Florida and/or Arizona?   We are not looking to go off property too much just enjoy sun, pools, beach, etc.  

We love Captiva FL. South Seas Resort is at the end of the island.

Edited by ownedbypets
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 5:01 PM, Tree_skier said:

my backyard today today... 😀

1FEE5786-E8E4-4B93-B0EE-E3F95DA4014B.jpeg

That's beautiful. I would love to be in a house and see that. As long as I didn't have to drive or work in it I'd be ok. ☃️

22 hours ago, singinalot said:

I was happy when I heard people needed a negative test to come back into the country. You know, hubby being a pilot and all. 😀

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, maggieq said:

I’m with ya on the disheartened feeling. Was so looking forward to aruba.   Keeping my fingers crossed on the rules changing as the vaccines and hopefully cases going down.  Travel industry will be sure to take another hit they dont need. 

Anyone have any recommendations for a resort in Florida and/or Arizona?   We are not looking to go off property too much just enjoy sun, pools, beach, etc.  

Enchantment Resort in Arizona.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was a cold 30f this morning.

The gas engineer serviced our heating this morning.

After he left we went out for a walk and stopped at Gregg's bakers and bought some bread stotties and a coffee.

Hope everyone likes this dog video.

Graham.

So cute. Wished people would listen and donwhat it suggest.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thought this might be of interest.

Screenshot_20210113_150433_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

That's very hopeful.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

So very well said. Unfortunately there are just to many selfish people that want what they want and when they want it. No self control. 🙄

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, singinalot said:

All, I’m going to take a little break from this little chat for a while, but I wanted to at least say goodbyes 🙂 

It’s been overall refreshing to have fellow cruisers in the same boat alongside us this past almost year. 

You can find me on IG with this same screen name if you’d like to keep in touch.

Best wishes for a fun 2021 for all of you!

~Crystal

Thank you for letting us know. Too often people just *poof* and disappear. I've always looked forward to and enjoyed your posts. A breath of fresh, Colorado mountain air!

I have your links so I can follow along with your future travels. Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery and getting back to traveling in 2021. Best of luck!

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, singinalot said:

All, I’m going to take a little break from this little chat for a while, but I wanted to at least say goodbyes 🙂 

It’s been overall refreshing to have fellow cruisers in the same boat alongside us this past almost year. 

You can find me on IG with this same screen name if you’d like to keep in touch.

~Crystal

It's never goodbye - it's "see ya".     Take care and have fun with your travels and house shopping.   We'll be here if you want to stop in and say "Hi"

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How did he like flying the 787?

He loves it. He's a little disappointed right now since after training they're supposed to fly 100 hours in 4 months. He didn't make it since there is so little flying right now. There are other pilots down here in the same boat since the 787's are new to Miami. He needs 36 more hours. He had to go to Dallas yesterday to do another sim with a landing since he was short on hours. Normally he would fly 80 - 90 hours a month pre-covid. Having him home constantly since March 31 except for his traing time in Dallas has been very nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are other pilots down here in the same boat since the 787's are new to Miami.

When our son was a FA for a fixed contract of 5 years, we tried to do all the far away cruises in this limited time, in order to take advantage of the reduced fares.

We're very excited to try the new 787's business class for a flight Tel-Aviv - Hong Kong. Very disappointed -- narrow seats, you feel like being in a tunnel. 

For a TLV-London flight, we tried the prime economy, and they were the best.

The food was so-so on both classes.

Our son told us that for the crew, the 787 is excellent. For passengers, the PE is the most comfortable and value for money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

When our son was a FA for a fixed contract of 5 years, we tried to do all the far away cruises in this limited time, in order to take advantage of the reduced fares.

We're very excited to try the new 787's business class for a flight Tel-Aviv - Hong Kong. Very disappointed -- narrow seats, you feel like being in a tunnel. 

For a TLV-London flight, we tried the prime economy, and they were the best.

The food was so-so on both classes.

Our son told us that for the crew, the 787 is excellent. For passengers, the PE is the most comfortable and value for money.

We also flew the 787 to London with prime economy seats and really enjoyed them.    I would definitely do them again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

~Crystal

Hate to see you leave. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

~Crystal

Tired of playing with us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2021 at 11:03 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I know over a dozen or more people here who have had both versions with absolutely no side effects. Five of them are family members. At most, a little sore at the injection site. 

M8

My wife and I had the vaccine this afternoon.No side effects.

One of our children had it early this morning and also no side effects.

😀

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So the temps started warming up yesterday afternoon and snow turned to rain overnight and by midday today it had warmed up by 20 degrees Fahrenheit and much of the snow had washed away.  I wrapped up work early today and went for nice walk.  The sun broke through the clouds at times and it was an absolutely beautiful day.

About a mile from my temporary home here I have a great view of the lake.

IMG_5239.jpeg

Then I stumbled across these fellas.  The first one was either hearing impaired or one of the bravest little does you'll ever come across.  She let me get with in 10-12 feet of her until she took off to join  the rest of the gang about 25 feet away up a little hill on the edge of the park.  

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

Not a bad lockdown day, all things considered.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 9