Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Good morning from freezing Venice,

Yesterday was the worst travel day we’ve ever experienced in our long life….

Oh, I'm so sorry. Venice is one of my most favorite places I've ever been. We were newly married and our trip there was magical. I hope the weather will improve and you will enjoy your anniversary trip!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

MRI results were okay according to Cancer doctor.  Still don’t know what is causing his stomach issues.  Next up the gastroenterologist.  Never ending saga 🥴

I am glad that the MRI results didn't find anything of further concern.  I hope they can figure out what is up with his stomach.  🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, George C said:

Anybody have any big plans for Valentine’s Day, this will be first year since 1988 we are not going to a nice restaurant to celebrate, but we will do that this weekend . 

We are going out to a local seafood restaurant.  Just looked at their Valentine specials online.  Not thrilled with the surf and turf option but found two specialty martinis and a dessert I like and I am not a big drinker at all.  Some on this thread have more drinks in one night or one cruise than I had all last year! 😄  We shall see, will need to make sure my DH is driving tonight. 😇

I hope your mouth is healed and your antibiotic is finished soon so you can celebrate this weekend. 🙂 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, George C said:

Anybody have any big plans for Valentine’s Day, this will be first year since 1988 we are not going to a nice restaurant to celebrate, but we will do that this weekend . 

We quit going to restaurants on VD years ago as it was always so crowded. We got to the point where we would call ahead to out favorite Italian restaurant and get carry out. It was a nice way to have a good meal in the privacy of our home. Now it’s gotten to the point where everyone is doing carry out and it takes hours. Tonight I will just grill some fillets and I got a nice chocolate dessert at the store. Sometimes simple is better.

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, George C said:

I love Valentine's Day. My husband ordered Shari's Berries for me, which arrived yesterday. I bought a gift box of jerky for him.  Andrew will get assorted snacks & candy. Our family tradition is to go to Uncle Julio's for their chocolate pinata dessert. We do that every year. They take reservations, so it's never a hassle or a wait.

uncle-julios-pinata-3.thumb.jpg.dcccad1d9d617db0802cff3b0aaeb630.jpg

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Happy Valentines Day wished to everyone. I love you all and especially Happy Valentines Day and Happy Engagement Anniversary wished to my beloved wife Linda. Hard to believe it’s been 26 years.

8B206458-F969-4764-943D-B8BD03DCFD3A.thumb.jpeg.4551b106437caf8ab7c46dac98fe1d58.jpeg

Happy engagement anniversary, Greg and Linda.   Looks like you had quite a crowd gathered for the occasion. 

• Like 1

@DaniDanielle Marietta, glad we’re not talking about the Big C.

@NHProud Judy, thanks for your well wishes via email. Got it on our way to the airport and I have a bug in my phone — I can only send emails when I’m at home, not in the car or abroad…

Yesterday — flying from Tel Aviv to Venice via Athens — I’ve never felt so helpless in my entire life to the point of wanting to sit down near the boarding gate and cry myself senseless….

Originally I’ve booked a DIRECT flight for today, due to land in Venice early afternoon. 2 weeks after I got an email, that the flight will depart instead at 5pm, landing almost at 9pm. The apartment was already booked for February 14 to 18. 

The only available flight was a day earlier and via Athens, with the same company.  Whenever we had no choice but to book a connecting flight, we always booked with the same company, and all was OK.

Booked another night at a hotel, since the apt. wasn’t free. Not the best situation, but I took it in a stride.

So yesterday morning the flight departed late. Along with 2 other couples, we asked the crew what are our options, should the connection be too tight. She told us “there is no other flight today to Venice. The plane will wait for you, along with a “connection agent” who will take care of you. No worries…”

Turns out buses are used and we sat in the bus until the last passenger got in, along with a mom of twins, who needed 5 hands + help. All this time “the connection agent (CA)” is with us, telling us that boarding has begun, but…. you guessed “no worries”. 

Finally at the terminal CA started to rush us, practically running ahead. The 2 young couples keep up with him, I ran with the carry on and the hand bag somewhere in between and hubby barely makes it in the back. After turning one two many corners, I yell at CA that we can’t keep with him…. Somehow I “catch” him at…. border control, he’s “negotiating” that all 6 of us will skip the line… I ask “we’re in TRANSIT”, why should we pass border control when we don’t stay in Greece?” He just says “that’s it”, you’re on your own and leaves…

We pass b.c., then security, and, then, of course is gate 27 out of 30… We run and run, and find at the end the 2 couples deceived… the bus to the plane left. When asked about “no worries” the agent at the closed boarding said “we don’t wait for anybody”, go to the service desk and they’ll put you in another flight….

So, in the end, it took 3 flights to reach Venice (via Belgrade, with Air Serbia) and we got there… you guessed, at 9PM (left home at 5am).

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

We quit going to restaurants on VD years ago as it was always so crowded. We got to the point where we would call ahead to out favorite Italian restaurant and get carry out. It was a nice way to have a good meal in the privacy of our home. Now it’s gotten to the point where everyone is doing carry out and it takes hours. Tonight I will just grill some fillets and I got a nice chocolate dessert at the store. Sometimes simple is better.

Not sure you should abbreviate Valentine’s Day as VD day 😁😁

just picked up a couple dozen roses for my wife , will some scallops for her tonight have no idea what I will eat.

Edited by George C
  • Haha 10

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@NHProud Judy, thanks for your well wishes via email. Got it on our way to the airport and I have a bug in my phone — I can only send emails when I’m at home, not in the car or abroad…

Yesterday — flying from Tel Aviv to Venice via Athens — I’ve never felt so helpless in my entire life to the point of wanting to sit down near the boarding gate and cry myself senseless….

Originally I’ve booked a DIRECT flight for today, due to land in Venice early afternoon. 2 weeks after I got an email, that the flight will depart instead at 5pm, landing almost at 9pm. The apartment was already booked for February 14 to 18. 

The only available flight was a day earlier and via Athens, with the same company.  Whenever we had no choice but to book a connecting flight, we always booked with the same company, and all was OK.

Booked another night at a hotel, since the apt. wasn’t free. Not the best situation, but I took it in a stride.

So yesterday morning the flight departed late. Along with 2 other couples, we asked the crew what are our options, should the connection be too tight. She told us “there is no other flight today to Venice. The plane will wait for you, along with a “connection agent” who will take care of you. No worries…”

Turns out buses are used and we sat in the bus until the last passenger got in, along with a mom of twins, who needed 5 hands + help. All this time “the connection agent (CA)” is with us, telling us that boarding has begun, but…. you guessed “no worries”. 

Finally at the terminal CA started to rush us, practically running ahead. The 2 young couples keep up with him, I ran with the carry on and the hand bag somewhere in between and hubby barely makes it in the back. After turning one two many corners, I yell at CA that we can’t keep with him…. Somehow I “catch” him at…. border control, he’s “negotiating” that all 6 of us will skip the line… I ask “we’re in TRANSIT”, why should we pass border control when we don’t stay in Greece?” He just says “that’s it”, you’re on your own and leaves…

We pass b.c., then security, and, then, of course is gate 27 out of 30… We run and run, and find at the end the 2 couples deceived… the bus to the plane left. When asked about “no worries” the agent at the closed boarding said “we don’t wait for anybody”, go to the service desk and they’ll put you in another flight….

So, in the end, it took 3 flights to reach Venice (via Belgrade, with Air Serbia) and we got there… you guessed, at 9PM (left home at 5am).

So sorry Dani!  The sad state of travel is that you can't trust anyone.  😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

MRI results were okay according to Cancer doctor.  Still don’t know what is causing his stomach issues.  Next up the gastroenterologist.  Never ending saga 🥴

Pleased to hear his MRI scans were okay.

Hopefully the gastroenterologist can clear it up.

I saw my skin cancer surgeon this afternoon and he confirmed I had a rodent ulcer basal cell carcinoma and it was all cut out during my operation in December.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Wow Dani what a nightmare.

Hopefully you have a fantastic time in Venice.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sorry it was such a nightmare Dani.  I hope the rest of your trip is just glorious to make up for this rough start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As usual when I’m abroad/cruise I can only type and attach pics from my Iphone  —

The apartment is amazing and as advertised. Imagine getting in this “trim” lane, in the dark, with the carry ons, exhausted… 

The owner, after telling us that chec in after 6pm will cost additional for every hour, took pity on me after calling her from Athens, waived the fees snd waited for us outside —

2C67B2DE-A6A3-4EF1-8D14-717EF74779F4.jpeg

4A375914-8009-4BAF-BAC0-27F86230E92A.jpeg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Happy engagement anniversary, Greg and Linda.   Looks like you had quite a crowd gathered for the occasion. 

Yes it was. This was at a bar that all my coworkers go and where I met Linda. I told my station I was going to propose and they sent a camera crew over to capture it and then put it on the news that night. Linda had no idea because when she walked in she was used to seeing all the channel 9 people who were my friends. I invited some her close friends who frequent the bar also so she wasn't surprised until I said I had to go to the bathroom where I stashed a tux earlier. The server came up to her with the box and said this is from a secret admirer. At that moment I came out with the camera crew behind me and the bar owner who was a friend of mine gave me the mic to bar PA system where I proposed. It was a fun evening and I'm glad she said yes.

30 minutes ago, George C said:

Not sure you should abbreviate Valentine’s Day as VD day 😁😁

just picked up a couple dozen roses for my wife , will some scallops for her tonight have no idea what I will eat.

Lol Ha I didn't even think of that. Guess I should have not been lazy and spelled it out.😜

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Me in the narrow lane —

the first meal by the personal “chef”

and the serenity of gondolas —

95D7F0B7-CA4E-484D-B071-1AC9E545477E.jpeg

31712D66-FBA6-4437-B7AF-1811E54F38AB.jpeg

IMG_7448.MOV

Ugh, what a way to start a vacation.  Looks like things have gotten much better once there, wishing you a lovely trip, enjoy!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes it was. This was at a bar that all my coworkers go and where I met Linda. I told my station I was going to propose and they sent a camera crew over to capture it and then put it on the news that night. Linda had no idea because when she walked in she was used to seeing all the channel 9 people who were my friends. I invited some her close friends who frequent the bar also so she wasn't surprised until I said I had to go to the bathroom where I stashed a tux earlier. The server came up to her with the box and said this is from a secret admirer. At that moment I came out with the camera crew behind me and the bar owner who was a friend of mine gave me the mic to bar PA system where I proposed. It was a fun evening and I'm glad she said yes.

WOW!! That's an amazing story! How could she not say yes after that? 😄

• Like 3