Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Ha, I had to go look for that one! Wow. Personally, I prefer cut-up tomatoes vs. the whole ones (cherry tomatoes) that can explode when you bite them.

So you know I was not joking about the No Whole Tomatoes thread!🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Surcharge or deposit.  Thought that refundable deposit only changed the size of the deposit.

The refundable deposit surcharge is added onto the price of the cruise. The price of the cruise in an OVB is slightly over $5000 if booked with a refundable deposit. It is $4000 with a non-refundable deposit. They are out of their F.....G heads.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

The refundable deposit surcharge is added onto the price if the cruise. The price of the cruise in an OVB is slightly over $5000 if booked with a refundable deposit. It is $4000 with a non-refundable. They are out of their F.....G heads.

Holy cow.

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I like your complaint far better than the person who is complaining and started a thread about Celebrity ship not having whole tomatoes!🙄😁

And I will echo others in asking why not Bella 2? Just curious.

Need an 8 nighter out of FLL.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great news Bonnie. I need to ask my doctor about that. Weird thing it only happens on cruises. All the rich food, salt and drinks probably don't help.

Then it is not the medication. It is the food. It happens to my mother on cruises. I always put her on a diuretic before she set sail.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Then it is not the medication. It is the food. It happens to my mother on cruises. I always put her on a diuretic before she set sail.

Yeah I have to be careful as my blood pressure medicine already has a diuretic in it. I don’t know if I should take an additional diuretic.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Great news Bonnie. I need to ask my doctor about that. Weird thing it only happens on cruises. All the rich food, salt and drinks probably don't help.

Lymphedema causes swelling all of the time, not just specific times like on cruises.  It sounds like your swelling is limited to the food you eat.  Unfortunately, almost everything has sodium.  Who knew bread and cheese had sodium.  If you know, you know.  I didn't but I know now.

How is your knee doing?  Hope the injection is kicking in.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The refundable deposit surcharge is added onto the price of the cruise. The price of the cruise in an OVB is slightly over $5000 if booked with a refundable deposit. It is $4000 with a non-refundable deposit. They are out of their F.....G heads.

I agree, so much so that they are driving us to more upscale cruise lines that aren't really a lot more expensive.  I posted this on the Bella thread so many will have already seen it, but here are the CocoCay prices for our Family Wonder cruise in Nov 2024.  Just plain stupid.  An over water Beach Club cabana costs $4099 for a few hours!!!  That's more than a balcony cabin for the week.  I guess if people are willing to pay the price...

image.thumb.png.a9c22df6c20096ca23546ca4577efa73.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Ha, I had to go look for that one! Wow. Personally, I prefer cut-up tomatoes vs. the whole ones (cherry tomatoes) that can explode when you bite them.

I love when a cherry tomatoes explodes with flavor when you bite into them. But only when  I'm popping them into my mouth one at a time when snacking on them. Not as part of a salad or meal, that gets very messy.😊

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Pricing cruises today and it’s hard to find one with a price I’m comfortable paying.  Prices just haven’t gone up.  Often they are double or more.

Icon for 2 in a balcony for 2025 is $6800.  For a week!  At the same old ports of call.  I do not see the value in that.  Crazy. 

We are so thankful we booked our Australia cruises when we did.  They have increased more than double.  

I’m still hopeful this is a blip and while prices may never be low again, I hope they will become reasonable.  Otherwise our retirement travel is going to look differently than we had planned. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is that for a seven day, two people?

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I love when a cherry tomatoes explodes with flavor when you bite into them. But only when  I'm popping them into my mouth one at a time when snacking on them. Not as part of a salad or meal, that gets very messy.😊

I love the explosion of a cherry tomato also. They taste so good.

• Like 4

Ok, so I’ve never booked a refundable fare for anything, ever. Two questions: is a 25% markup/surcharge ($1,000 on a $4,000 cruise) over non-refundable fare typical? That seems pretty excessive for what is basically insurance that is no longer valid once you are within 90 days.   

Second question: In years past, I’ve seen people post that they book a refundable fare as soon as a cruise itinerary is released, then “switch over” to a non-refundable when approaching the 90-day window.  Is that a “thing”?? By switching over, is it just a phone call to Royal or TA or is it some kind of cruise “hack” that experienced people do by cancelling their refundable cabin & then rebooking the same cabin (or better) right away at the lower rate?  Seems like cheating but if Royal allows it, more power to the people!

Looking back, every cruise I’ve ever taken was booked within 3 months of sailing. I guess I don’t look too far ahead. Lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Pricing cruises today and it’s hard to find one with a price I’m comfortable paying.  Prices just haven’t gone up.  Often they are double or more.

Icon for 2 in a balcony for 2025 is $6800.  For a week!  At the same old ports of call.  I do not see the value in that.  Crazy. 

We are so thankful we booked our Australia cruises when we did.  They have increased more than double.  

I’m still hopeful this is a blip and while prices may never be low again, I hope they will become reasonable.  Otherwise our retirement travel is going to look differently than we had planned.  

We have always tried  to wait a couple of years or so before sailing on a new ship, particularly a new class.   We don't want to go that bad. Since we have experienced and enjoyed  Grandeur, no ship class is off our radar now. For years I said only balcony,  but we have an ocean view booked  on Gr, so that will be OK.

But , I still cannot stand an interior.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Ok, so I’ve never booked a refundable fare for anything, ever. Two questions: is a 25% markup/surcharge ($1,000 on a $4,000 cruise) over non-refundable fare typical? That seems pretty excessive for what is basically insurance that is no longer valid once you are within 90 days.   

Second question: In years past, I’ve seen people post that they book a refundable fare as soon as a cruise itinerary is released, then “switch over” to a non-refundable when approaching the 90-day window.  Is that a “thing”?? By switching over, is it just a phone call to Royal or TA or is it some kind of cruise “hack” that experienced people do by cancelling their refundable cabin & then rebooking the same cabin (or better) right away at the lower rate?  Seems like cheating but if Royal allows it, more power to the people!

Looking back, every cruise I’ve ever taken was booked within 3 months of sailing. I guess I don’t look too far ahead. Lol

Usually, in the past I've been able to book refundable from $175 - $300 extra. $1075 is insane. You can switch to non-refundable just before final payment. However, they reprice your cruise to the going rate at the time. So unless the price of the cruise has dropped by at least the amount of what you paid for the refundable deposit you are better off just leaving things alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I paid a little over 5k for the two of us in a grand suite on harmony out of Galveston this November, Galveston seems a bit cheaper than oasis class from Florida. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, George C said:

I paid a little over 5k for the two of us in a grand suite on harmony out of Galveston this November, Galveston seems a bit cheaper than oasis class from Florida. 

Sailing from Texas would not be cost effective for me with flights.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

We have always tried  to wait a couple of years or so before sailing on a new ship, particularly a new class.   We don't want to go that bad. Since we have experienced and enjoyed  Grandeur, no ship class is off our radar now. For years I said only balcony,  but we have an ocean view booked  on Gr, so that will be OK.

But , I still cannot stand an interior.  

We are balcony people with an occasional suite thrown in when prices were better.  Then we tried an OV again on Grandeur.  We decided if we could do that ship we could do it on any ship.  We are doing 46 nights in an OV next year plus another 28 later in the year.  We will miss the fresh air but as long as I have light I’m okay.  We have some balconies booked too but the price has to be right.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Good morning!  Happy Happy Anniversary to @grapau27 Graham and Pauline from Liverpool!  We are in your country now currently on a tour.  It is 60 degrees and raining.

This morning’s sunrise.

IMG_8513.thumb.jpeg.03ca9cd67e25dafee84ba3c7452989c4.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@grapau27Happy Anniversary to my English friend and his bride!🙂 Have a great day!

6 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

Happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline!  Your wedding photo is lovely, but you look even better now.

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@grapau27 Happy anniversary and congratulations celebrating 42 years together!🥂👰🤵‍♂️

Graham, wishing you and Pauline an especially lovely day!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

A Happy Anniversary Toast to you, Graham and Pauline @grapau27.  I hope you are having a wonderful day!  We had a fun full day in Liverpool.  

Cheers!  Kraken Coke & Peach Bellini

IMG_9893.thumb.jpeg.f0ec337fb07a502047f4904f4323d7dc.jpeg

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

@Keksie The shawl is exquisite. It will be a family heirloom!

@grapau27 Your anniversary is about over but I hope it was a lovely one. I wish you and Pauline many more. 

@Sea Dog I saw this and thought of you. 
be glad you’re not a centipede!

IMG_3334.jpeg

Thank you my cc friends for all of your nice comments for Pauline and my 42nd wedding anniversary.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Usually, in the past I've been able to book refundable from $175 - $300 extra. $1075 is insane. You can switch to non-refundable just before final payment. However, they reprice your cruise to the going rate at the time. So unless the price of the cruise has dropped by at least the amount of what you paid for the refundable deposit you are better off just leaving things alone.

Thanks. I'd have no issue paying $200 or $300 extra for the peace of mind but over a $1,000 is insane.  That buys a lot of drinks at the Schooner Bar.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you my cc friends for all of your nice comments for Pauline and my 42nd wedding anniversary.

I'm late but let me also add my Happy Anniversary to the most dapper, best dressed couple on CC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1