Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I love when a cherry tomatoes explodes with flavor when you bite into them. But only when  I'm popping them into my mouth one at a time when snacking on them. Not as part of a salad or meal, that gets very messy.😊

I grew a new kind of cherry tomato this year and it is so good it will be the only type of cherry tomato I will grow next year. They are called Sunrise Bumblebee tomatoes.  Talking about exploding with flavor. And popping them in the mouth is how I eat them.  On occasion I have cut cherry tomatoes in half and topped pizza with them.  I eat these so fast I don't have them to put on pizza.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Looking back, every cruise I’ve ever taken was booked within 3 months of sailing. I guess I don’t look too far ahead. Lol

We used to book our own about 3 months to at the most 6 months out and not book refundable.   Even booking that close we could find some good prices. 

We feel it is wise for us to book refundable now.  Also having a good TA and liking to book new ships we have several booked spread out to the Bella 2 cruise. Even with the refundable deposit the TA prices are usually less than RC and you usually receive on board credit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Lymphedema causes swelling all of the time, not just specific times like on cruises.  It sounds like your swelling is limited to the food you eat.  Unfortunately, almost everything has sodium.  Who knew bread and cheese had sodium.  If you know, you know.  I didn't but I know now.

How is your knee doing?  Hope the injection is kicking in.

The knee was really sore for two days after the injection. It's better now but I still have some pain. My guess it's because of the other problems in there like the torn meniscus, torn ACL, bone spurs, etc... At this point it will be what it is going to be. It won't stop me from enjoying my cruise on Adventure in a couple of months.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree, so much so that they are driving us to more upscale cruise lines that aren't really a lot more expensive.  I posted this on the Bella thread so many will have already seen it, but here are the CocoCay prices for our Family Wonder cruise in Nov 2024.  Just plain stupid.  An over water Beach Club cabana costs $4099 for a few hours!!!  That's more than a balcony cabin for the week.  I guess if people are willing to pay the price...

image.thumb.png.a9c22df6c20096ca23546ca4577efa73.png

WOW!!!   

$303 for the beach club is insane too.      By then the new adult beach area will be open - cannot wait to see if and how much that will cost. 

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

WOW!!!   

$303 for the beach club is insane too.      By then the new adult beach area will be open - cannot wait to see if and how much that will cost. 

We always book suites but would never waste our money on a cabana.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I love when a cherry tomatoes explodes with flavor when you bite into them. But only when  I'm popping them into my mouth one at a time when snacking on them. Not as part of a salad or meal, that gets very messy.😊

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love the explosion of a cherry tomato also. They taste so good.

I was in a restaurant with Jack's cousin and a friend, a nice girly girl lunch.  I popped a cherry tomato in my mouth and it exploded with such force that Jack's cousin, the fashionista, sitting across from me, found herself drenched in tomato juice and probably bits of tomato.  And no, I was not talking at the time.

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Ok, so I’ve never booked a refundable fare for anything, ever. Two questions: is a 25% markup/surcharge ($1,000 on a $4,000 cruise) over non-refundable fare typical? That seems pretty excessive for what is basically insurance that is no longer valid once you are within 90 days.   

Second question: In years past, I’ve seen people post that they book a refundable fare as soon as a cruise itinerary is released, then “switch over” to a non-refundable when approaching the 90-day window.  Is that a “thing”?? By switching over, is it just a phone call to Royal or TA or is it some kind of cruise “hack” that experienced people do by cancelling their refundable cabin & then rebooking the same cabin (or better) right away at the lower rate?  Seems like cheating but if Royal allows it, more power to the people!

Looking back, every cruise I’ve ever taken was booked within 3 months of sailing. I guess I don’t look too far ahead. Lol

We only booked one non-refundable cruise since it was so close to final payment.  I think years ago, final payment was closer to sail date than it is now.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I somehow missed your post yesterday while playing catch up.   Sorry to hear you have covid.  Hopefully you feel better soon and everyone else will be ok.

We have a girl in our office that wasn't feeling well end of last week and she called me Saturday to say both her and her Daughter tested positive. 

I spoke with her yesterday and she said she feels fine now.  She only felt crappy for 2 days.   This was her 2nd time with covid.    

Fingers crossed your symptoms remain mild and are over quickly.

Hoping noone else at work caught it, especially since we are already short staff due to vacations. 

Today  (Wednesday) is day four from symptoms and each day I'm feeling better, though after going for a short walk to the end of the road yesterday I felt pretty tired. 

More importantly little Isaac is in hospital again. Last night was the third night. They are concerned about his  oxygen levels and want to monitor them particularly when he's sleeping. 

Hopefully he'll be released today  I feel bad we can't help my son and DIL with care as they are there the whole time and struggling to work as much as possible too, but because of my covid we can't even visit 

I hope everyone in your office, and especially you, are OK. Covid is such an insidious illness, you don't realise you've got it until a few days into being infectious.

• Like 12

16 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Was Gary's father based in Yorkshire during the war?, we live in the edge of a wartime airfield just South of Selby, about 20 miles from the air museum.

The main aircraft that flew from here were Halifaxs, what a pity that the Halifax at Elvington is not airworthy.

Our airfield at Burn still has quite a few runways usable and the local gliding club use them.

A few years ago the R A F used it for training landings and take off from remote locations.

A wartime reunion was held in the 1998 and people came from as far away has Canada and Australia to attend, local villagers were welcome and it was great to talk with the veterans.

The flypast was done by the Lancaster has obviously no Halifax was available.

A memorial book to 578 squadron is kept in Selby Abbey South of York.

I don't think so, he was in 148 squadron (now disbanded). He would of been 18 when he joined and trained as a flight engineer.  (He had been working with cars since 14).

He wouldn't speak much about his war service, but Gary has since found out a lot through the war records at Kew and his log book and also this book(below) details all the missions.  So mostly doing special ops dropping tons of supplies and agents to the resistance fighters behind enemy lines from Brindisi and North Africa. Most of the crews were Canadian 

If you click on the link and then on 'more' in the precis of the book it gives a summary of their missions 

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Trusty_to_the_End.html?id=xI9DswEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

You live in a beautiful part of our country, I definitely want to spend more time doing land trips in the UK.  There's so many parts I haven't visited 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

I don't think so, he was in 148 squadron (now disbanded). He would of been 18 when he joined and trained as a flight engineer.  (He had been working with cars since 14).

He wouldn't speak much about his war service, but Gary has since found out a lot through the war records at Kew and his log book and also this book(below) details all the missions.  So mostly doing special ops dropping tons of supplies and agents to the resistance fighters behind enemy lines from Brindisi and North Africa. Most of the crews were Canadian 

If you click on the link and then on 'more' in the precis of the book it gives a summary of their missions 

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Trusty_to_the_End.html?id=xI9DswEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

You live in a beautiful part of our country, I definitely want to spend more time doing land trips in the UK.  There's so many parts I haven't visited 

We have a book called Based at Burn, not sure if it is still in print or on the net,it was a special order at the reunion written by one the veterans.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Today  (Wednesday) is day four from symptoms and each day I'm feeling better, though after going for a short walk to the end of the road yesterday I felt pretty tired. 

More importantly little Isaac is in hospital again. Last night was the third night. They are concerned about his  oxygen levels and want to monitor them particularly when he's sleeping. 

Hopefully he'll be released today  I feel bad we can't help my son and DIL with care as they are there the whole time and struggling to work as much as possible too, but because of my covid we can't even visit 

I hope everyone in your office, and especially you, are OK. Covid is such an insidious illness, you don't realise you've got it until a few days into being infectious.

Ahh, poor little Isaac.  So sad to see little ones suffer.   Hopefully they find a resolution soon.  Sending prayers and positive thoughts for you and Isaac.🙏🦋💐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The refundable deposit surcharge is added onto the price of the cruise. The price of the cruise in an OVB is slightly over $5000 if booked with a refundable deposit. It is $4000 with a non-refundable deposit. They are out of their F.....G heads.

Well, like someone who slows down to look at a train wreck, this prompted me to look at some cruise prices.  Yikes!   I think they are getting ridiculous, like many other things. 

Yesterday, I had my car in for service and a state inspection.  While waiting for Susan to pick me up, I walked around the dealer stand looked at some of the prices for new vehicles.  They have increased, just like Royal’s prices. 

And speaking of cars, icy anyone needs a new pony for their stable, they are going to build between 1,000 and 2,000 of this one. 

IMG_8727.thumb.jpeg.379823cc519e528d8a79767e487cc171.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

More importantly little Isaac is in hospital again.

Glad you are feeling better, but sorry to hear about Isaac.  Hope he is out soon. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Well, like someone who slows down to look at a train wreck, this prompted me to look at some cruise prices.  Yikes!   I think they are getting ridiculous, like many other things. 

Yesterday, I had my car in for service and a state inspection.  While waiting for Susan to pick me up, I walked around the dealer stand looked at some of the prices for new vehicles.  They have increased, just like Royal’s prices. 

And speaking of cars, icy anyone needs a new pony for their stable, they are going to build between 1,000 and 2,000 of this one. 

Nice looking car.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is the car you  buy and store till the auction prices go through the roof.

We have seen it before with some of the Ford GT cars they build, and they are not Mustang GT's.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

That is the car you  buy and store till the auction prices go through the roof.

We have seen it before with some of the Ford GT cars they build, and not Mustang GT.

They compared that version as a Schwarzenegger vs. the GT as a Danny Devito. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George C said:

We always book suites but would never waste our money on a cabana.

We never considered a cabana when it was just the 2 of us, but our cruise next year is a family cruise that we're paying for with 3 cabins.  I thought that would be the perfect time to splurge on an over water cabana.  Not at $4100!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

I’m glad you are feeling a little better. Sorry about poor little Isaac. I will keep him in my thoughts to get better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sue,

Sending get well wishes and prayers for you and Issac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1