Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Sorry that I have been missing here, but I have been playing Monopoly.  No, not that kind, but this kind. 

IMG_8765.thumb.jpeg.0443823b8f6d22d4421d58ea40b69cd1.jpeg

Do you know how hard it is to play when a cat wants to play too?  Roll the dice, and the paw swipes it.  Move your piece, and the paw knocks it off the board.  Sometimes, you just have to hold them and play. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 17

19 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Less than that. We leave Sept 24th for our Med cruise, return on Oct 9th and we’re home for a whole 10 days before heading to Ft Lauderdale and Adventure.  

I would love hear your thoughts on the Adventure. We have booked a Jan sailing.

• Like 2

I had a disturbing experience last week.  I cashed out a matured CD.  Was told by the bank that a wire transfer costing me $25 was my only option.  OK, filled out paperwork.  Got a call the next day asking if my bank had another routing number as the wire wasn’t going through.  Hmm.  Nope, just the one I typed on the form.

I asked if there was any other way to get the funds.  Oh, yes, we can mail you a check.  Fine, let’s do that and I’ll pay to overnight it.  Oh, that’s not necessary, we’ll send if FedEx.  Hmm.  If overnight no cost to me was an option why was I told only $25 wire transfer possible?

So, later Tuesday I receive four emails from FedEx.  My package has been initiated…my package has been acquired…my package is on the way…my package will arrive tomorrow.  All four emails have the tracking number and my address on it.  Wednesday I receive an email telling me my package has been delivered…but to a totally different address, not just a transposed street number…or anything nearby…ten miles away!!!

I call FedEx and initiate an investigation.  This package contained a very large check.  When I call FedEx back an automated voice tells me my case has been closed.  If I’m not satisfied with the outcome I should contact the sender.  If I am the sender I should review my contract with FedEx.  

I request to speak to an actual person.  He tells me my package has been reacquired and will be delivered by 8 pm.  I don’t consider that “case closed!”  Case closed means the package is actually in my hands.  (Would I like to remain on the line and take a brief survey about my experience?)

DH says next time I should request a signature on delivery.  I said I had!  It was signed for by an S. Iblett (not my name…)  

Glad it worked out in the end but I had a totally wasted day and angst I would rather not have had!

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I’ll be happy too!
 Also on this sailing are @jmh2006 @Sea Dog @Husky1987 and @mo&fran so you should be able to get multiple points of view.  I believe Greg plans on doing an ‘as if’ Live review.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I had a disturbing experience last week.  I cashed out a matured CD.  Was told by the bank that a wire transfer costing me $25 was my only option.  OK, filled out paperwork.  Got a call the next day asking if my bank had another routing number as the wire wasn’t going through.  Hmm.  Nope, just the one I typed on the form.

I asked if there was any other way to get the funds.  Oh, yes, we can mail you a check.  Fine, let’s do that and I’ll pay to overnight it.  Oh, that’s not necessary, we’ll send if FedEx.  Hmm.  If overnight no cost to me was an option why was I told only $25 wire transfer possible?

So, later Tuesday I receive four emails from FedEx.  My package has been initiated…my package has been acquired…my package is on the way…my package will arrive tomorrow.  All four emails have the tracking number and my address on it.  Wednesday I receive an email telling me my package has been delivered…but to a totally different address, not just a transposed street number…or anything nearby…ten miles away!!!

I call FedEx and initiate an investigation.  This package contained a very large check.  When I call FedEx back an automated voice tells me my case has been closed.  If I’m not satisfied with the outcome I should contact the sender.  If I am the sender I should review my contract with FedEx.  

I request to speak to an actual person.  He tells me my package has been reacquired and will be delivered by 8 pm.  I don’t consider that “case closed!”  Case closed means the package is actually in my hands.  (Would I like to remain on the line and take a brief survey about my experience?)

DH says next time I should request a signature on delivery.  I said I had!  It was signed for by an S. Iblett (not my name…)  

Glad it worked out in the end but I had a totally wasted day and angst I would rather not have had!

That was totally stressful and scary.  Anymore everything seems like a scam to get your money.  I am glad it worked out in the end.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I will be doing a review of our October Adventure sailing. Let me know if there is anything you want to know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I believe Greg plans on doing an ‘as if’ Live review.  

I can’t decide whether to do it “Live” or an “As If.” I’d like to do a as if in real time after we get back but that is also the week before my knee replacement surgery so I may need to do it live but then enhance it with more detailed posts and videos as I have time to edit them. I have already pre produced some videos. I really want to do a production on our visit to JVD. I hope our group doesn’t mind being being videotaped. If nothing else it will make for a good memory.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I can’t decide whether to do it “Live” or an “As If.” I’d like to do a as if in real time after we get back but that is also the week before my knee replacement surgery so I may need to do it live but then enhance it with more detailed posts and videos as I have time to edit them. I have already pre produced some videos. I really want to do a production on our visit to JVD. I hope our group doesn’t mind being being videotaped. If nothing else it will make for a good memory.

Whatever suits you, thank you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The itineraries aren't great at all but it gets us on a ship without having to fly to Florida.  Anthem sailings in the past have been really cheap too but not the case with Odyssey yet.  Hopefully, they will be a little bit more reasonable in the future.

Not having to fly is a very big plus in my book. The comment was geared more towards @Ocean Boy since I know he likes the 8 day cruises and the Southern Caribbean. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I will be doing a review of our October Adventure sailing. Let me know if there is anything you want to know.

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Not having to fly is a very big plus in my book. The comment was geared more towards @Ocean Boy since I know he likes the 8 day cruises and the Southern Caribbean. 

I love voyager class we sailed navigator 3 times. Twice 7 days and once 9 days 

• Like 3

When we lived in Ct. , we did sailings on Explorer out of Bayonne from 9 to 11 days, so we could get to Labadee , San Juan, St Martin or other ports.  Couple of times, we got back to NJ and the weather was so bad, we ended up staying on for one of the 7 day sailings, you know, PC, Nassau, Coco Cay.

Wasn't exciting, but I put off shoveling snow.

• Like 9

On 8/22/2023 at 12:29 PM, dani negreanu said:

Glad to hear from you, Helen. I hope you and Marty, and Renee and Mike have a good time and enjoying every single moment 😘

@ReneeFLL

We’re having a good time, but unfortunately we aren’t seeing Helen and Marty as often as we would like. We’ve been going to the P lounge for about an hour, having dinner and crashing early. Some days we have been in bed as early as 8:30 especially after a long port day. That early is unusual for us. Mike just called and we’re going to meet them at the Schooner Bar tonight.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:22 PM, Ocean Boy said:

RCI is absolutely out of control. I just priced a OVB on Oasis for Feb 2025. It was almost $4000.00 and the real kicker was that the refundable surcharge was $1075.00.🫨🫨🫨

Unfortunately it’s causing me to look elsewhere.

On 8/23/2023 at 9:38 PM, BonTexasNY said:

My heart is heavy today.  I found out this morning that one of my closest TX friends passed away suddenly a few days ago. Recently, she laughed when I told her she was a new friend of mine, of only 20 years.

She was found on the floor by a friend who had her key.  She was rushed to the hospital and passed away 3 days later. The friend who found her did not have my contact info but she was able to call someone who alerted me today. 

The only chronic ailment she had was asthma (that I knew of).  I have no idea what the cause of death was but it really doesn't much matter.  She's gone forever. Tomorrow is a memorial service for her.  In life, she chose to be cremated when the time came, as was her husband a few years ago.  They had no children and doted on their nieces, nephews and their grandnieces and grandnephews. They were world travelers after retirement from gov't careers.  They also visited every single U.S. presidential library.   Asia, Scandanavia, Australia, France were their playgrounds.  True cultural history buffs. I love you Cheri. I'm devastated. I'll miss our many phone calls, our laughter, our yummy lunches.  YOU were the ultimate mah jongg queen. I'll miss you forever.

If you have a good friend you haven't spoken to in awhile, give her/him a call and smile together.

I knew this was a safe place to come in and "talk".

So sorry to hear about you friend.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Keksie said:

That was totally stressful and scary.  Anymore everything seems like a scam to get your money.  I am glad it worked out in the end.  

A sign of the times when it's a relief that it's just good old-fashioned incompetence.  🙂

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I so thought this story was going to end with a "you've been scammed" ending.

So glad it worked out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

we did sailings on Explorer out of Bayonne from 9 to 11 days, so we could get to Labadee , San Juan, St Martin or other ports.

Those were some of my favorite sailings & 9-11 days is my sweet spot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Not having to fly is a plus in some ways but I do looks forward to the flights when cruising.

• Like 5

I have ben getting a lot of bad emails with attachments.  My  years of training working in industry of detecting bad emails and either deleting them or reporting them prepared me.  

I don't pay attention to the subject, just the sender. And it gets deleted.

Just seems to be a lot more frequent mow.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, George C said:

My wife also loves garlic, I like garlic, I haven’t made spaghetti with garlic in a long time , need to treat her within next week or so . We discovered an Italian restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of cruises ago and they have sinful garlic rolls which we will visit on all our cruises from there.

Do you recall the name of the restaurant? Also, Flanigan’s has tasty garlic rolls. They have chunks of garlic on them.

IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.a0c8aeb22a13eb112a8bb95c05021acf.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

I have ben getting a lot of bad emails with attachments.  My  years of training working in industry of detecting bad emails and either deleting them or reporting them prepared me.  

I don't pay attention to the subject, just the sender. And it gets deleted.

Just seems to be a lot more frequent mow.

I have also been getting a lot of them. I used to block the emails, but they just keep changing them with the same crap info. I quit blocking because it didn’t seem to do any good and it takes longer so I just delete them now. Ugh!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you recall the name of the restaurant? Also, Flanigan’s has tasty garlic rolls. They have chunks of garlic on them.

IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.a0c8aeb22a13eb112a8bb95c05021acf.jpeg

Yes interested in the name of the restaurant also. Those rolls are right up my ally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not having to fly is a plus in some ways but I do looks forward to the flights when cruising.

Agreed. At first, I didn't mind flying as it was part of the pre-cruise excitement, especially when tacking on a 2 or 3 day pre-cruise stay. Plus, Florida is the cruise  capital of the world, so many options of ships & itineraries  and it's nice meeting people from all over the world on the cruise.

But it's also nice to not have to deal with the hassles of flying, especially in winter. And driving home right afterwards is pretty nice as well.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes interested in the name of the restaurant also. Those rolls are right up my ally. 

This is from Flanigan’s and they have them all over in Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Their ribs and fish sandwiches are really good. Actually everything there is, but we love the fish sandwiches and the Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. The rib meat just falls of the bone.

• Like 5

A little story about the Flanigan’s near us. There was a head (actual human head) found in the dumpster. The other parts of the body were found elsewhere. We wouldn’t go there or any Flanigan’s for many years. Every time we saw one all we could think about was the head. 🤮 This happened about 6 months after we moved to Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately the killer was caught.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Agreed. At first, I didn't mind flying as it was part of the pre-cruise excitement, especially when tacking on a 2 or 3 day pre-cruise stay. Plus, Florida is the cruise  capital of the world, so many options of ships & itineraries  and it's nice meeting people from all over the world on the cruise.

But it's also nice to not have to deal with the hassles of flying, especially in winter. And driving home right afterwards is pretty nice as well.

That works till you get a really big snowfall.  Once, as we were returning, Hartford was predicted to get 3 feet, and they did. That was the first one were we stayed on.   There were plenty of rooms available that cruise. 

• Like 3