Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, jmh2006 said:

Greg, you probably don't have to worry about it, but our subdivision has restrictions on "downlighting" in the soffits so there is no way we could do that!  Therefore, I say cruise!

Im going to ask our HOA about it. My neighbor across the street just put this system in. I don’t know if we even got permission. When I asked about it with the company spokesperson they said most people can get around it by saying it is accent and security lighting.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So now that we canceled our Beyond sailing we are thinking of taking that money and putting it into some permanent outdoor house lighting not only for Christmas but all year round. It’s from a company called Jellyfish Lighting. It’s all LED programmable and just about every color imaginable. Hers a video. What do you think? It’s not cheap around $3800 but it’s cheaper than what we would spend on our cruise. Either do something like this or just save the money for another cruise. Thoughts?

A cruise might be only one week but the memories last long after the cruise is over.  Then again, you'll have lovely lights that will bring you pleasure for many years.  Greg, choose whatever you feel would make you and Linda the happiest.  

@h20skibum @Lionesss Mark, happy birthday to your son and Sue, happy birthday!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Im going to ask our HOA about it. My neighbor across the street just put this system in. I don’t know if we even got permission. When I asked about it with the company spokesperson they said most people can get around it by saying it is accent and security lighting.

Agree about the security lighting aspect. Robbers tend to rob an unlit house before messing with a house lit up properly.

Non Holidays, you could just use the white lights to brighten things up for security.

See what I mean, would you rob this house?

image.png.aab533e8cae09692a50e2c212485efb6.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

13 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

A cruise might be only one week but the memories last long after the cruise is over.  Then again, you'll have lovely lights that will bring you pleasure for many years.  Greg, choose whatever you feel would make you and Linda the happiest.  

I see both points.

We are going on the Serenade in Oct, 9 Nights. Lots of aft balconies available. Price is good for all cabins. Come on over Greg and Bonnie!

• Like 2

@Sea Dog Greg, I say lights.  Unless it's on a cruise that is a bucket list item, that you wouldn't go on without that $3800, you'll go on many more cruises anyway.  If it's the difference between 6 or 7 "normal" Caribbean cruises in the next 6 years, in my mind the lights are worth more.

As for the bourbon dialogue...

My go-to "every day" neat sippers are WT Rare Breed, OF 1920, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek 12.

My go-to mixers (90% of the time it's an Old Fashioned) are WT 101, OF 100 Rye, Old Grandad 114 or BiB.

Edited by Husky1987
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I have a King bed that one can raise the head and legs/feet. We got it from Mattress Firm. It is actually the mattress not the bed fame that raises up and down and goes zero gravity as well. It is available in Split King as well, where each side has its own control, which may be better so you could adjust to your own comfort level. It is a Serta i Series Hybrid mattress, on a frame. The frame has adjustable legs and you can have them adjusted when they deliver.

Such thing also comes in  Tempurpedic but that one is very expensive. Worth checking it out though.

The Split King mattress is about $1000 more than the Serta King, but it is great for two people who want the same bed but different levels of inclines. etc

Thanks!  I am thinking split would be best for us.  I was discussing this with my PT.  She said I would love one more than anything in the world!  Then I explained to her how much I love Sharon.   She then thought the bed would be the second best thing in the world to me!

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks!  I am thinking split would be best for us.  I was discussing this with my PT.  She said I would love one more than anything in the world!  Then I explained to her how much I love Sharon.   She then thought the bed would be the second best thing in the world to me!

If you get it from Mattress Firm, look for specials or coupons. We got the frame free with the mattress (some special a store near us was running). We got a Mattress Firm brand frame with the Serta mattress and that shaved off some $$$$. It works great.
Good luck with your search.
You are always in my prayers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

@Sea Dog Greg, I say lights.  Unless it's on a cruise that is a bucket list item, that you wouldn't go on without that $3800, you'll go on many more cruises anyway.  If it's the difference between 6 or 7 "normal" Caribbean cruises in the next 6 years, in my mind the lights are worth more.

My go-to "every day" neat sippers are WT Rare Breed, OF 1920, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek 12.

My go-to mixers (90% of the time it's an Old Fashioned) are WT 101, OF 100 Rye, Old Grandad 114 or BiB.

Yes, I like that thought. Bucket List cruise yes, just another Caribbean Cruise to add to your list. No way do the lights.

We have been on so many Caribbean Cruises, the memories of them just all run together.

If we never did another Caribbean Cruise, I wouldn't feel at all that we missed something.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

You have excellent taste!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We are Sleep Number fans (all 3 bedrooms have one) and our master bed has the split king design.  Each side can separately raise the head and foot and has foot warming.  It's fantastic for reading or watching TV in bed.  Much more comfortable that propping up pillows to raise your head. There's a snore feature where your partner can raise your head slightly to reduce snoring.  Apparently, it works. 🤷‍♂️

The only downsides are that the split design means there's a gap between the mattresses, and the sheets are essentially two twins that are harder to put on than one king.  Raising the mattress while making the bed DOES make it easier to put on the sheet.  I can reach all 4 corners but Micheline needs to climb on the bed to reach the corners in the middle of the bed.

We have the Flexfit 3 Smart Base.

• Like 4

@Lionesss Happy Birthday 💐. Love your attitude.

@h20skibum Happy Birthday to your son 🎂

@Sea Dog My vote is for the lights.  You love decorating your home for Christmas both indoor and outdoor but I know you are scaling back on the lighting.  So, to have this permanent, year round outdoor lighting of your home will make you happy.  Go for it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy BD to your son

8 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Lionesss Happy Birthday 💐. Love your attitude.

@h20skibum Happy Birthday to your son 🎂

@Sea Dog My vote is for the lights.  You love decorating your home for Christmas both indoor and outdoor but I know you are scaling back on the lighting.  So, to have this permanent, year round outdoor lighting of your home will make you happy.  Go for it.

Thank you both. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

There's a snore feature where your partner can raise your head slightly to reduce snoring.  Apparently, it works. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks.

Is there a control for each side, like a remote control?  Would my control allow me to use the snore feature to reduce Sharon's snoring?  I would not be able to reach very far.

I never thought about our current king sheets/blankets not working but no big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, I like that thought. Bucket List cruise yes, just another Caribbean Cruise to add to your list. No way do the lights.

We have been on so many Caribbean Cruises, the memories of them just all run together.

If we never did another Caribbean Cruise, I wouldn't feel at all that we missed something.

I love going to the Caribbean. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Keksie said:

@Sea Dog I would want to know who does the maintenance on the lights?  What is some of them go out?  What if they get dirty and need to be cleaned?

They have a 5 year warranty and should last 15 years plus. I’m sure cleaning them could be done with a pressure washer but since they sit on the underside of the soffit I don’t think they would get too dirty.

• Like 1

Just got back from our martini lunch at our favorite restaurant, love there appetizers this week had oysters florentine after several martinis, at dinner there a couple of days ago I order two of those appetizers, wife loved her scallopes appetizer followed with salmon lunch. Had one of my Buffalo Bills shirts on told the Dallas waiters and bartenders fans they were going to lose , most sports reporters are picking bills to win . Hosting a poker game and will have plenty of side bets on the game . 

• Like 5

@Sea Dog Since you asked…

I think the money from the cancelled cruise could be used in other ways instead of the lights. IMHO they make a house look like the buildings lit up on Main Street in Disneyworld- a bit too commercial for my taste.

The poster who suggested using the $$$ for and aide/caretaker for Linda post shoulder surgery and/or a housekeeper during both of your recovery time is a very good suggestion. It would make both of your lives easier while dealing with post-op pain and healing.

But, it is your $$$,your house and your decision,of course.

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

• Like 7

@Sea Dog Greg, those lights look nice. Is that price an installed price? And for how many feet?

I bought a strip of these heavy duty waterproof ones last year to line the perimeter of the roof of the gazebo we have over our hot tub.  I have been pleased with the way these have held up, but they have only been up for 16 months.  We have them on a couple hours every day.  Easy to control from an app on my phone.  

IMG_9630.thumb.jpeg.7918297a3689b5594201b49a505ff684.jpeg

Just now, h20skibum said:

@Sea Dog Greg, those lights look nice. Is that price an installed price? And for how many feet?

I bought a strip of these heavy duty waterproof ones last year to line the perimeter of the roof of the gazebo we have over our hot tub.  I have been pleased with the way these have held up, but they have only been up for 16 months.  We have them on a couple hours every day.  Easy to control from an app on my phone.  

IMG_9630.thumb.jpeg.7918297a3689b5594201b49a505ff684.jpeg

Yes that is the installed price that includes materials and labor. I’m sure if I was more of a DYI guy and not afraid of heights I could do it myself.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I see both points.

We are going on the Serenade in Oct, 9 Nights. Lots of aft balconies available. Price is good for all cabins. Come on over Greg and Bonnie!

Arzeena, wish we could.  However, I look forward to meeting you and RJ on Bella 02!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They have a 5 year warranty and should last 15 years plus. I’m sure cleaning them could be done with a pressure washer but since they sit on the underside of the soffit I don’t think they would get too dirty.

Then I would say go for the lights.  You love to decorate for the holidays and do such a wonderful job of it, this would allow you to focus more on the interior decorations.  It is a lot safer and easier to have the outside done.  Plus, didn't you say you wanted to do other holidays too?  These sound like something you can use for many different occasions.  I am sure you will have many cruises in your future too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks.

Is there a control for each side, like a remote control?  Would my control allow me to use the snore feature to reduce Sharon's snoring?  I would not be able to reach very far.

I never thought about our current king sheets/blankets not working but no big deal.

There's a remote that can control each side independently.  There's also a phone app that gives you full control.  I use my phone and Micheline uses the remote.  I assume that you can buy a second remote, but I've never asked.  The snore feature is for your partner's side, i.e. if you press the snore button, the head of Sharon's bed would raise slightly.  If she is sleeping on her back, this will open her airway just enough to stop the snoring.  I don't notice when Micheline does this to me, other than my head is a little raised when I wake up.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1