Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, M8VER3 said:

Gopher Turtles can change a good day to a bad day in an instant, if they are on your property. Their burrows are very popular housing for our Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. 

Its my understanding, if one or more Gopher Turtle burrows are found, they must be dug up and the residents relocated properly. 

Just like the Golden Cheeked Warbler in the Texas Hill Country.  There are hoops to be jumped through if found on your property.  Not a fan of the snakes but we do have a Gopher Tortoise ambassador at the refuge I volunteer at.  His name is Landlord.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keksie said:

The Gopher Tortoise is considered a keystone species.  360 other species of animals use the gopher tortoise's burrows for shelter. 

They are all over OTOW.

We even have some habitat areas set aside

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They are all over OTOW.

We even have some habitat areas set aside

It’s funny you mentioned this. On my weekly Wednesday ride, we actually avoided 2 crossing the highway in two different locations. We stopped and blocked traffic for a couple minutes to ensure their safe passage. This was on a couple of Florida backroads (farm roads). 

They are on the move for some reason?  Have seen a bunch recently. 

Edited by M8VER3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Currently watching Odyssey approach Pt Canaveral. Out of view now, so headed to beach

Pictures please. We are supposed to be on her in December for 8 night Southern Caribbean. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

They even brought the pool furniture and gas grill. It made it so much easier to move. 

I bet they would’ve had a fight on their hands if they wanted the BGE from you. Or paid double list price.😁

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

We have what we call a Florida Basement.

Here in Maryland one would have to bury their plumbing deeper than what I saw in your pictures.  How deep was the underground plumbing?

ps: my parents built a house in Bethany Beach, DE in the mid-70's.  Same deal with the fill...dozens of truck loads of dirt to raise the lot.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

“Troy” isn’t a word or name. It was Troyka, which is a name for Russian 3 wheel carriage. Ural Motorcycles has a model called Troyka.  I had a Ural Troyka for a few years. It was fun to ride but couldn’t get out of the way when needed. Not enough power. 

Rory

F15957D1-06CC-4DF8-8328-8B97463831D0.jpeg

CF13F4EF-4B9F-421F-A22C-C20876B42746.png

Yeah, I knew that. You told me that before...I was just messing with you.   For some reason, I always remember you as "Troy".  😉 

BTW...love..love your new screen name.  Very clever!  😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

Pictures please. We are supposed to be on her in December for 8 night Southern Caribbean. 

Yes, I’d love to see pics too. Almost booked her for January. 6 nights to short and 8 were too long. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, singinalot said:

wellll suffice it to say… I’m tired. This is the first time in my almost 39 years that I’ve forgotten to change my shoes…I didn’t realize until I walked into work this morning that I’m wearing these:

I will not be leaving my office 🤦🏼‍♀️

On the upside, had it been snowing you have noticed immediately.  Your polish looks nice too, so it isn’t all bad. Lisa has trained me well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I bet they would’ve had a fight on their hands if they wanted the BGE from you. Or paid double list price.😁

True. Broken in. Was not included in our negotiation. The XL is in the garage here. The XL is in storage. I used it Tuesday for a cook. 

23D0F388-2BF9-406C-A553-E7D29D110AEA.jpeg

• Like 3

Busy informative thread today.

Love the pictures of the build.  (Like I said somewhere in one thread, we did a build photo book so we know where every pipe, electrical outlet and everything you wanted to know about a septic field is in it.  One day when I find it my DH will be so proud).

On another note;

Last year  we were able to get front row seats for Jimmy Buffett in Pittsburgh. (2020)

With  the Pandemic, tour cancelled and we took the option of delaying to the following year. (2021).

(Which would have been July 15, 2021).

Then the DD decides to get married that weekend. And we could have gone, but would have been out of commission for her rehearsal  (aka Hungover).

So now what to do with front row tickets, parking pass at the cost of over $800.

We could sell them, but I know we would never recoup our loss.

DING DING DING DING DING.  We have a winner.

Last night good friends of ours texted us that Buffett cancelled his Pittsburgh tour.

Shortly there after we got an email for full reimbursement of cost, that would be credited to our VISA.

Sad to miss the opportunity.

But happy reimbursed.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, dbancroft said:

Are you doing anything special for your birthday on Saturday?

Wow!  You have a good memory.  😄  

Have selected an old historical Inn in Northeast Harbor for lunch, they have a beautiful view of the harbor from their restaurant deck outside the hotel.  And really great food.  The Popovers there are famous.  Then a walk up to the beautiful garden park near there.  Quite the hike up the hill, but so worth it with great views and botanical gardens.  

Dinner will be at Perry's Lobster shack...literally a shack (think Garden shed type) perched on a working lobster dock that they scattered picnic tables on.  Fantastic fresh steamed lobster with sides of corn and coleslaw..plus "BYOB".   They encourage you to bring your own wine, with will be a nicely iced down bottle of Sauvignon Blanc I have in the fridge right now.  😉 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Here in Maryland one would have to bury their plumbing deeper than what I saw in your pictures.  How deep was the underground plumbing?

ps: my parents built a house in Bethany Beach, DE in the mid-70's.  Same deal with the fill...dozens of truck loads of dirt to raise the lot.

Just under what the bottom of the slab. Maybe a foot. Only thing I noticed, your stuff goes downhill. The sewer went downward to the main pipe, probably about 4 feet. 

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow!  You have a good memory.  😄  

Have selected an old historical Inn in Northeast Harbor for lunch, they have a beautiful view of the harbor from their restaurant deck outside the hotel.  And really great food.  The Popovers there are famous.  Then a walk up to the beautiful garden park near there.  Quite the hike up the hill, but so worth it with great views and botanical gardens.  

Dinner will be at Perry's Lobster shack...literally a shack (think Garden shed type) perched on a working lobster dock that they scattered picnic tables on.  Fantastic fresh steamed lobster with sides of corn and coleslaw..plus "BYOB".   They encourage you to bring your own wine, with will be a nicely iced down bottle of Sauvignon Blanc I have in the fridge right now.  😉 

Life is good - enjoy your birthday celebration!!!! The poor folks back in Florida will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!!!!!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

Here is a Googled explanation 

Florida has a large aquifer system that spans around 100,000 square miles and provides water for many large cities. The groundwater's very close to the surface in most parts of Florida and Southern Georgia. Because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig out for a basement.

I always wondered why you don't have basements in Florida, now I know thanks. Thanks for taking us along on your construction project. When we had our home built, I took tons of pictures not only for history but to see how everything is laid out and where. It has proven to be invaluable in later years for improvements and fixes. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Last night good friends of ours texted us that Buffett cancelled his Pittsburgh tour.

Shortly there after we got an email for full reimbursement of cost, that would be credited to our VISA.

Well that works, unfortunately.  That would have been a great show.  I saw him years ago, before Lisa. It was an outdoor concert. When the light went down the grass lit up around us. 

Lisa and I missed seeing Kenny Chesney, when Allie was in the hospital on one of her many visits. We ended up giving the tickets away to our fencing guy who could go last minute. Tim surprised us a year later when we went to Vegas.  He told us to book a dinner at a specific restaurant and we did. It was the steak house at MGM that had a wood fired grill.  We had some delicious Wagu ribeyes. It was an amazing dinner, with dessert on the house from the restaurant for our anniversary.  Turns out Tim our fencing guy covered our dinner bill as well.  Some times life gives you wonderful surprises. 

We still haven’t seen Kenny but hopefully one day. Imagine seeing him and Kenny together. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

We were up your way a couple of weekends ago. Dealer ride (BRDHD and BRNSB) to Amelia. We stayed at Amelia Schoolhouse Inn. We had dinner one night at the Amelia Tavern which was just a short walk from the Inn. Highlight of the trip for most was crossing the St John’s River on the Mayport Ferry. I had been across many times but most had not. We had a great time. Some pictures. 

E1C30C32-824B-4A84-A3CC-325B764B5D85.jpeg

224B746B-7F1D-4DC7-AA20-77E86131465E.jpeg

2350834D-C4A7-4DB5-B1E5-1AE1CD9D2DA8.jpeg

3B08D47C-C08E-41BC-BAC6-5BE6D3EC1362.jpeg

24D4F585-3965-4326-A607-243346437C0F.jpeg

EDC5C9F3-A7BD-40FB-A0A1-95AACF2A5EFB.jpeg

5E81A3C7-4B03-44C9-8A9F-6F3483D8B0BB.jpeg

50ADA4C6-9448-4002-9443-880ADA10EED8.jpeg

19194F0D-4D56-43B2-9CB6-DBE5D0D1C947.jpeg

Been on that Ferry a couple of times...but in my SUV.  Love that little Ferry!  Your trip looks like much more fun though!  🙂 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

We also had those antlered rats come up on our porch and eat flowers................then they had floral breath. I heard that some got lead poisoning.

I'm still snickering about the last line. Nor sure how many here are following/understanding my demented way of thinking. :classic_rolleyes:🤣

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

BTW...love..love your new screen name.  Very clever!  😄 

Just proves there is life after death. 

And Happy Birthday 

Edited by M8VER3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, molly361 said:

We had never heard of the ferry.  Our backup plan for July after they cancel our cruise is head up to St. Augustine and then take the ferry over and stay in Fernandina Beach 

Yup, that is what we did.  Stayed in your home town at a B&B (Inn on the Avenue...great time!), then up to St. Augustine to another B&B, did the Ferry...then Fernandina Beach B&B, and continued up to Jekyll Island Resort.  Was a good road trip!  🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Been on that Ferry a couple of times...but in my SUV.  Love that little Ferry!  Your trip looks like much more fun though!  🙂 

We are sending you birthday wishes for tomorrow Pat.

It sounds like you have a great day organised plus that nice ice cold bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to put the icing on the cake.👍🥞🎂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

As a typical northerner, I was expecting a hole to be dug for a basement.  I have no idea how you guys make due without that storage space.

I don't miss basements at all.  This house we are at right now has one, with the laundry machines in it.  Uggh...detest climbing up and down those stairs to do laundry.  And always cold down there.