Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

Just under what the bottom of the slab. Maybe a foot. Only thing I noticed, your stuff goes downhill. The sewer went downward to the main pipe, probably about 4 feet. 

Here in Maryland they would be buried 36-inches deep.

Re: downward.  What's the old joke?  Three things a plumber must know?  1) payday is Friday; 2) poop flows downhill; 3) never bite your fingernails.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

Ok, the pad has been set. On May 19, the building permit was issued. 50 days after submission. 

On Saturday May 22, we went to our second Rock Concert since Covid, Blue Oyster Cult (great to live in Florida).at The Amp St Augustine. Front roll seats. The opening act was I’m an American Band, Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad) 

Sorry, just had to add this. 

ED8CDE6E-0438-4D1C-87AB-C9D38C0257CA.jpeg

FD2A3F15-4F70-4044-8BF4-BF21C177CF25.jpeg

A15AE5B9-A1B0-426E-962B-744D87599F15.jpeg

A guy that I know is a cousin of Eric Bloom and we often saw Blue Oyster Cult in their very early days

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Here in Maryland they would be buried 36-inches deep.

Re: downward.  What's the old joke?  Three things a plumber must know?  1) payday is Friday; 2) poop flows downhill; 3) never bite your fingernails.

Your ground freezes 😉🥶

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have a full weekend of weddings and graduation parties I must attend so I won't be around these pages

Seems like a very valid absence to me 😉 So nice that weddings and parties are back in full 💐 

E N J O Y   !!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A guy that I know is a cousin of Eric Bloom and we often saw Blue Oyster Cult in their very early days

Did you used to go to CBGB back in the day?

That would impress me🤘

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I don't miss basements at all.  This house we are at right now has one, with the laundry machines in it.  Uggh...detest climbing up and down those stairs to do laundry.  And always cold down there.  

It is more convenient than going to a laundry mat. We have a walk out basement. It is like another level of the house. When we built the house I couldn't see taking up living space for a washer and dryer. Though I admit sometimes I wish it was a one level house or at least had the master bedroom on the first floor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@M8VER3

I'm very impressed with the attention given to the turtles' "well-being".

And a question about the trees -- if you had, let's say, 11 trees on your lot "before", are you required to plant anew the same number of trees, or you can "buy" them to be planted on the city's lot??

They use a formula I would never be able to explain, but I’ll try.  You must replace trees based on the percentage of trees over 6” DBH. You add up all the DBH Diameters total, then take a percentage of that total number and that’s how you determine the size and quantity of trees required to be planted before closing. DBH means Diameter Breast Height, and in our county, only applies to trees over 6”.  So, as an example, if you cut down 50 trees over the DBH 6”, and for this example, they are all DBH 6”, the total is 300” (6x50). We had some trees as big as DBH 12”-15”. Anyway, they take that 300” total and use some formula that makes no sense to me to come up with a new number.  They know you can’t replace trees over DBH 6” with the same size as many of those established trees were years old. The way I figured it, replacing requires about 6 trees with small diameters like 2-4”. 

There is also another option. They assign a monetary value to the replacement DBH value. If you choose not to plant 6 or whatever number required. I believe the cost would be similar to the landscaping charge when building. We get a landscaping allotment in $. So if you choose to pay the fee, you can use the landscaping allotment for other things like lighting. 

If you pay for the removed trees, the County is supposed to take that money and plant trees within out county. I just don’t know where they do this. So much building is going on now. I look at it as a tax. 

I hope I didn’t totally confuse you. I’ve asked people did they understand the formula and I have yet to find anyone that does. 

4 minutes ago, singinalot said:

My commute to work is roughly 35 mins each way...so there was no going back once I got here and realized I had them on. *sigh*

LOL several have been very gracious about it with a couple telling me they've worn different color shoes before. 

I mean....I'm wearing a black outfit with brown flip flops though....in an executive suite.  OY.

I once brought two left shoes on a cruise.  I had two pairs of the same shoe and just grabbed two shoes and packed.  Luckily there was a Payless at our first stop in Puerto Rico🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, singinalot said:

My commute to work is roughly 35 mins each way...so there was no going back once I got here and realized I had them on. *sigh*

LOL several have been very gracious about it with a couple telling me they've worn different color shoes before. 

I mean....I'm wearing a black outfit with brown flip flops though....in an executive suite.  OY.

Fortunately everyone seems to be fine with your flip flops.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is more convenient than going to a laundry mat. We have a walk out basement. It is like another level of the house. When we built the house I couldn't see taking up living space for a washer and dryer. Though I admit sometimes I wish it was a one level house or at least had the master bedroom on the first floor.

I have the same setup, although my basement is not a walk out.  I'd love to have a first floor master and laundry.  So sick of having to carry the laundry down two flights of stairs, but we don't have any other place for it.  If I ever buy another house I definitely want one floor.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

They use a formula I would never be able to explain, but I’ll try.  You must replace trees based on the percentage of trees over 6” DBH. You add up all the DBH Diameters total, then take a percentage of that total number and that’s how you determine the size and quantity of trees required to be planted before closing. DBH means Diameter Breast Height, and in our county, only applies to trees over 6”.  So, as an example, if you cut down 50 trees over the DBH 6”, and for this example, they are all DBH 6”, the total is 300” (6x50). We had some trees as big as DBH 12”-15”. Anyway, they take that 300” total and use some formula that makes no sense to me to come up with a new number.  They know you can’t replace trees over DBH 6” with the same size as many of those established trees were years old. The way I figured it, replacing requires about 6 trees with small diameters like 2-4”. 

There is also another option. They assign a monetary value to the replacement DBH value. If you choose not to plant 6 or whatever number required. I believe the cost would be similar to the landscaping charge when building. We get a landscaping allotment in $. So if you choose to pay the fee, you can use the landscaping allotment for other things like lighting. 

If you pay for the removed trees, the County is supposed to take that money and plant trees within out county. I just don’t know where they do this. So much building is going on now. I look at it as a tax. 

I hope I didn’t totally confuse you. I’ve asked people did they understand the formula and I have yet to find anyone that does. 

A tree tax. What will they think of next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The boss took the day off. We had things to do this morning but stopped by the lot on our way home. 

Good news. Inspector approved and signed off underground plumbing. The building suppliers dropped off rebar and the bottom covering used for the slab and block. 

We have several in slab power receptacles that need installation before slab is poured. The electricians do this work. Hopefully soon. We were pleasantly surprised with what we saw today. 

Notice the white boxes indicate Made in China. No clue what’s inside and didn’t want to walk through the dirt to find out. 

52354ACE-0CA0-4E59-9279-EF33FB8C9D08.jpeg

CCF1A5B0-9D19-4C0A-B4CE-D9EE8C24F757.jpeg

50961ED1-7C3F-49AE-A9E1-AA044DF211A7.jpeg

714BE812-CAFB-460A-957C-9DCA26472A40.jpeg

Edited by M8VER3
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

If you pay for the removed trees, the County is supposed to take that money and plant trees within out county.

Without entering into complicated formulae, I think I've got the "gist" of it -- tree for tree, no trees lost.

As with the turtles, I find this very laudable 👍

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Only you will notice, and unless you mention it to anyone else they won’t either. Go to 2:13 and it will only solidify my thoughts.

In a few hours when you walk out the front door of work, in your flip flops, you will chuckle about it. At least you didn’t have to crawl to freedom through five hundred yards of sh__ smelling foulness I can't even imagine. 🤢🎉😂

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

Just now, dani negreanu said:

Without entering into complicated formulae, I think I've got the "gist" of it -- tree for tree, no trees lost.

As with the turtles, I find this very laudable 👍

Yes, the goal is to replace the removed trees in some form. You can’t transplant huge trees but you can plant young ones that may grow up and be big. We can replace Pine trees with Palms, which are more inline with Florida. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I remover it well, so beautiful.  Happy Birthday tomorrow!

Thanks!  🙂  

Enjoyed driving down to Deer Isle today (weather was not great for hiking Southwest Harbor as planned).  

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@island lady Pat I hope you have a great Birthday tomorrow! Your celebration sounds like it will be awesome. I have a full weekend of weddings and graduation parties I must attend so I won't be around these pages, but I wanted you have a great day celebrating your latest trip around the sun. Cheers to you tomorrow!

Greg Sea Dog

Awww...thanks Sea Dog!  Have a great time at the events.  Definitely the time of year for those!  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

That's funny Dani, I can't drive with flip flops either.  Glad I'm not the only one!

We practically live in Flip Flops most of the year.  Guess it takes practice...but I have no trouble driving with them.  I wear Sperry flip flops...great traction.  😉  Bucky takes his off when he is driving...I can't do bare feet driving.  😮 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

We practically live in Flip Flops most of the year.  Guess it takes practice...but I have no trouble driving with them.  I wear Sperry flip flops...great traction.  😉  Bucky takes his off when he is driving...I can't do bare feet driving.  😮 

I guess it's an acquired taste 😁 I think I'd rather drive barefoot, like Bucky does, although I hate having dirty feet so that's probably not gonna happen!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Sounds like a Bucky job to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL... I call him "the laundry Elf"...he keeps sneaking in to "help" with the laundry.  Not a really good thing.  😮   

Carrying loads of laundry up and down those basement steps...not fun.  Worry about tripping hazards.   Spoiled having everything on one floor at home.  And looks like the other four rentals will be same floor laundry...happily.  

When I tell realtors up here during my online searches that I want to look at "single floor living"...they find it is a tough match to make.  Everything here in Maine seems to have 2-3 floors PLUS a basement.  I don't need all that space...would just fill it with too much "precious stuff" (AKA junk we would never use) anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Whoever the lady is with the black shoes with white soles knows how to pick a good brand. 😁  So comfortable.

For walking, running, and jogging but not a good choice when riding a motorcycle. Only good quality motorcycle boots witch offer ankle support and have slip resistant soles should be worn when riding.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3