Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, M8VER3 said:

Ok. Where do I start. I’ll try to do this in segments. @John&LaLa John does a great job when he shares in this manner. 

March 29 I was sent to a Lifetime of playing Monopoly. The game doesn’t seem much fun any longer. So, you guys have missed a lot with our building project. 

On March 20, our building permit request was submitted to the county. On March 24, our Tree Survey was submitted. 

Tree Survey - Rules and regulations. What is a Tree Survey? Our lot was uncleared. Part of the Survey includes a walkthrough search for evidence of Gopher Turtle onsite. If they find evidence of Gopher Turtles then things can get complicated and expensive. Something to remember before buying an uncleared lot in Florida. Luckily, the Turtle Inspector found no signs of Gopher Turtle(s) onsite. 

The Gopher Tortoise is considered a keystone species.  360 other species of animals use the gopher tortoise's burrows for shelter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

If you had an rv where would you park it? Do they have a storage on site for such things?

No parking inside the community. Many people with RV’s and boats. They find places around here. Some better than others. As the is a Private Golf Community, with 45 holes and two Clubhouses, the HOA restrictions are tough. If you choose to have a golf cart, there are only two colors approved. I would say about 50% have a golf cart. Storage facilities nearby remain mostly full. Most require a waiting list. In the last year, I know of at least 3 places that have opened for RV and Boat storage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

No parking inside the community. Many people with RV’s and boats. They find places around here. Some better than others. As the is a Private Golf Community, with 45 holes and two Clubhouses, the HOA restrictions are tough. If you choose to have a golf cart, there are only two colors approved. I would say about 50% have a golf cart. Storage facilities nearby remain mostly full. Most require a waiting list. In the last year, I know of at least 3 places that have opened for RV and Boat storage. 

Somehow I didn't picture you as a big HOA person.  LOL

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I went sturgeon fishing in Chilliwack. We know people in our cattle breed who live there and his son and friends ran a fishing charter company. I think the are now gone their own ways. We spent a better part of a day on the river fishing with their son. We didn’t catch the big one but a few small ones. They shared some great stories of past clients catches and running Hells Gate with their jet boats. 

Over the years they caught many like this but not they day we were there. 

288C2870-6C99-4404-8279-9D7A5B085D88.jpeg.4297fd115da04ec4e433c236df0f4d9d.jpeg

I think if I ever moved back to Canada I'd live in Chilliwack.  It's the right mix of small town, city and country that I like now.  And an hour and a half west and I can be in downtown Vancouver and to the east I'd be at the gateway to some of the best mountain terrain in the world.  Sturgeon fishing is amazing.  My SIL has caught some big ones like in the picture on the Fraser river there.  Me not so much...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

On May 25, the reset the corners with another survey.  On May 28, they began to set the boards for inground plumbing. This was completed on the following day. 

I took the drone out for some flyovers. 

Odd, my drone pictures are not posting. Back to the drawing board.  I have some regular photos to try. 

40619044-A94B-4DB0-857F-F46856FF0D7E.jpeg

5F468CD9-1799-4BD4-A6E5-CDA6CA2BA2F5.jpeg

6FC0CC15-CB5D-481A-AE34-3CEE15938014.jpeg

9737EB8D-B7D3-4111-8E65-D7B1E960F934.jpeg

BCC46D54-A15B-41C0-BA4D-5B09DA41B265.jpeg

3E9FE8A2-0A1A-4D2D-BB01-EB3221DB7F70.jpeg

8B6291AE-1032-42BA-AD28-9DA5CF2252F8.jpeg

Looks like a massive plot.

Very interesting to see the development from the beginning.

Thanks for sharing.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

Anyone interested in a picture progress report on our home construction?  I’ve been keeping a photo history. 

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, please

7 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Would love to follow the progress.

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Looks like a massive plot. Very interesting to see the development from the beginning.

Thanks for sharing.👍

Due to the hours' differences, I'm "late to the party"....

A resounding YES.

And good of you to separate the photos... I know it takes time, the effect is so much better 😁

• Like 5

9 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

On May 17, they began to add fill to set the elevation and pad. This went on and off for four days until the pad was complete on May 20. 

As a typical northerner, I was expecting a hole to be dug for a basement.  I have no idea how you guys make due without that storage space.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Well, another HOA sucks discussion.  It will be a nice new Airstream.  they are expensive.   

I love how much of Florida is a trailer park, and the other Florida is so discriminatory 

Just ban me to the trailer parks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

Our neighborhood is like that.   I’ve noticed several new storage places being built.  They all seem to fill up.  We are on a lake, so people also have to store boats.  We have our own dock so not an issue for us.

Welcome back!  We’ll enjoy the building process with you.  We’ve been in our home 12 years now, so it’s like going down memory lane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATG said:

Our neighborhood is like that.   I’ve noticed several new storage places being built.  They all seem to fill up.  We are on a lake, so people also have to store boats.  We have our own dock so not an issue for us.

Welcome back!  We’ll enjoy the building process with you.  We’ve been in our home 12 years now, so it’s like going down memory lane.

So your boat can sit at a dock attached to your back yard it just can't sit on your back yard.

• Like 1

Storage facilities are popping up all over our area. BIG business here because of seasonal residents. Inside units are a/c controlled - there are garage units for vehicles - spaces for boats & RV's. The buildings are like in a business park setting, nice landscaping and lots of security. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

As a typical northerner, I was expecting a hole to be dug for a basement.  I have no idea how you guys make due without that storage space.

We have what we call a Florida Basement. In our case we have a storage area on the second floor. Not as big as a typical basement. Hopefully, we have plenty of storage with the 6 car garage. One nice thing, we are starting from scratch. When we sold our home in December, the buyer negotiated a cash purchase at closing of most all our furniture. The only furniture we moved was our Owners Suite. Everything else stayed. They even brought the pool furniture and gas grill. It made it so much easier to move. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Here is a Googled explanation 

Florida has a large aquifer system that spans around 100,000 square miles and provides water for many large cities. The groundwater's very close to the surface in most parts of Florida and Southern Georgia. Because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig out for a basement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No basement is one of my biggest concerns with our Florida house.  We have a LOT of storage within the house (cabinets/closets) and will be adding more, and we have 4' X 8' hanging shelves above the cars in the garage.  But we have no big spaces for big stuff like a workbench. I'm told that most people use part of their garage and park their cars in the driveway.  We only have a 2 car garage and I'm not interested in leaving my car outside year round.  We'll see how it works.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

Here is a Googled explanation 

Florida has a large aquifer system that spans around 100,000 square miles and provides water for many large cities. The groundwater's very close to the surface in most parts of Florida and Southern Georgia. Because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig out for a basement.

I completely understand the reasoning. It is just not something I am used to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

No basement is one of my biggest concerns with our Florida house.  We have a LOT of storage within the house (cabinets/closets) and will be adding more, and we have 4' X 8' hanging shelves above the cars in the garage.  But we have no big spaces for big stuff like a workbench. I'm told that most people use part of their garage and park their cars in the driveway.  We only have a 2 car garage and I'm not interested in leaving my car outside year round.  We'll see how it works.

That is why with our house in Texas (no basement there because of the limestone) and here in Florida my husband has had a minimum of 2 big 40x 60+ shops.  Here in Florida we have the 2 sheds, an RV port and as soon as we can get the concrete poured a quonset  hut.  He has 2 workbenches and plenty of storage.  I have the pump house for my gardening stuff.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

We have what we call a Florida Basement. In our case we have a storage area on the second floor. Not as big as a typical basement. Hopefully, we have plenty of storage with the 6 car garage. One nice thing, we are starting from scratch. When we sold our home in December, the buyer negotiated a cash purchase at closing of most all our furniture. The only furniture we moved was our Owners Suite. Everything else stayed. They even brought the pool furniture and gas grill. It made it so much easier to move. 

Your previous home looked lovely with classy furniture in it so I can understand why a new person would want to leave the house as you had it.

Maybe they did the same with their previous home leaving all their furniture.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keksie said:

The Gopher Tortoise is considered a keystone species.  360 other species of animals use the gopher tortoise's burrows for shelter. 

Gopher Turtles can change a good day to a bad day in an instant, if they are on your property. Their burrows are very popular housing for our Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. 

Its my understanding, if one or more Gopher Turtle burrows are found, they must be dug up and the residents relocated properly. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

No basements in Texas at least in Dallas area , really common that people use garage for storage and keep cars outside. We have lots of storage in attic , we also have occasional hail storm which is bad for cars and roofs. 

• Like 2

Was out before 7 to spray Sharon laneway to kill weeds and grass.  I can only do it when it’s not windy or low winds. If I kill her flowers I am a dead man.  Been doing it for a couple weeks. They start gravel work on Monday in preparation for paving. 

Beautiful start to the day. 

9F92B226-0FA3-4B26-BB68-CE3CFA8B5AC3.thumb.jpeg.b9e9d0cc0dfd8bc6544b6d6e1d315a41.jpeg

Looks like this so far. 

86E13A15-68E2-4111-9888-3A39A53891B4.thumb.jpeg.b841846670c758e8f446052f3d8c4b28.jpeg

Coffee on her porch is my reward. No ocean view but not bad. 

8D7ED0BF-C24A-4C9D-BFCE-4282B040AA2F.thumb.jpeg.5f32af1267d61e02c4eafc4692aa8193.jpeg

Should be an OK day today. A bit hot and humid. 

6CE6AD65-00E7-4636-8137-DEA4B5D54383.thumb.jpeg.9ca5674bf3d25848c99889c075d77675.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 15